Start by marking “Sammy Keyes and the Curse of Moustache Mary (Sammy Keyes, #5)” as Want to Read:
Sammy Keyes and the Curse of Moustache Mary (Sammy Keyes, #5)

Sammy Keyes and the Curse of Moustache Mary (Sammy Keyes #5)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  1,549 ratings  ·  51 reviews
"The most winning junior detective ever in teen lit. (Take that, Nancy Drew!)" —Midwest Children's Book Review

When Sammy and her friends meet Lucinda Huntley walking her 200-pound pig down the middle of the road, their quiet weekend in the country quickly becomes an adventure. Lucinda tells them a true tale of the Wild West, her great-grandma Moustache Mary, and a century-
Published February 13th 2001 by Yearling (first published 2000)

The Westing Game by Ellen RaskinFrom the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. KonigsburgThe Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian SelznickHarriet the Spy by Louise FitzhughEncyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective by Donald J. Sobol
Best Mysteries for Young Readers
58th out of 187 books — 249 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Best Books for YA
80th out of 187 books — 120 voters

More lists with this book...

Allison
Sep 08, 2008 Allison rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: favorites
I just looooove Casey he's the best! in every other one he's in too.
Storylover8
Casey is the sweetest thing to hit Earth!
Cinnapatty
Hmm. #5 in this series and it has HEAVY issues in it. If your child isn't in 7th or 8th grade I would skip this book. Sammy finds herself in over her head. All the confusing emotions involving boys and to top it off, some boys who are involved with drugs. But some are not.

So while the story about Mary and her moustache is right out of the wild west and the feuding families are still at it, the whole story is swirling and twirling around drugs and alcohol. The good news is that Sammy knows that's
Sue
Jul 19, 2008 Sue rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Sue by: Meg
I LOVE all the Sammy Keyes books! There's some wisdom in each-good old common sense :-) and Sammy herself is such a good kid. Wendelin takes on some tough subjects kids may be exposed to and this book is no exception. Sammy finds out that some kids she knows are drinking and into drugs. This book shows that it's okay to not give into things to be cool and that good friends really do help each other and stick together.
Katy
I love Sammy.

To date, I think this is my favorite of the series because the side characters were so great. Lucinda Huntley, her pig, and Moustache Mary just added so much to an already great series. I'm also interested in seeing where the Casey storyline ends up.
Sella Malin
i like these books- it's my favorite mystery series. the mysteries are really interesting, and sammy keyes is awesome. I love it when I find out who's the culprit a second before sammy does.
Muhammad Salman
A thrilling book about mystery. Kept me at the edge of my seat and never stop reading. Sammy and her friends are talking when a lady passes by and tells them a story about Moustache Mary. Her name is Lucinda Hartley. She is the great granddaughter of Mary. Lucinda asks help for the riddle that Mary left to find the gold.
A theme that is present throughout the whole book is for a successful sleuthing mission, it requires more than just one sleuth. Sammy cannot solve the mystery by herself. SHe wi
Meherin
I love the Sammy Keyes books and this one in particular. Sammy is smart and sassy, the mysteries are fun, and Van Draanen does a great job of getting middle grade right. A lot of times I find the characters in middle grade books to be too childish or too precocious, but Sammy thoughts and actions are realistic for a smart and tough girl her age (not to mention she is very funy).

For some reason, this installment sat with me enough that I have read it 3 times in the last decade. I really like how
Meredith
Drinking and drugs and meth labs, oh my. This would have to go on the 6th grade shelf ... although it's not the strongest of the series. Psycho Kitty is my favorite so far. Reading them out of order is slightly confusing in terms of friendship timelines.
Dan Frew
Tried to read this to my Gr.6 class. 60 pages in and no sign of any substantial plot or narrative direction. Maybe it gets better, but I'm not sticking around to find out.
Garry
The second in this series I've read. A good mystery wrapped around some essential challenges of some challenging years...those awkward, awesome, oh-so-memorable years of 7th and 8th grade when some friends begin heading down different paths and it's hard to know which is the path you should be taking. At first I did not like what seemed like an out-of-place diversion to a High School party, but Van Draanen ties it all together in a compelling and realistic way. A series that could easily get too ...more
Laurie Gray
The first book in this series (Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief) was on my daughter’s summer reading list between 4th and 5th grade. I read it with my daughter, and we were hooked. We read this book together as a family. Inquisitive and resourceful, Samantha (Sammy) Keyes makes a great tween protagonist. Be forewarned that there are some alcohol and drug references (marijuana, cocaine and meth) in this book which provided us with the opportunity to talk about these issues very frankly with our 10 ...more
Michele Wen
sammy keyes is an amazing series. i am massively in love with it. this certain book of the story is of how two didnt families didnt get along but one kid from each side fell in love. it's sort of like romeo and juliet but with a pioneer twist. sammy and her friends were staying at a friend's place and end up going into crazy adventures like running into a guy who may have stolen her skateboard and unraveling a mystery that has been misinterpreted. this book and this series is a must read!
Rebecca
I figure this must be one of the first books to read in the Sammy Keyes series, but this is the last one I read. But I've requested more from the library. The reviews on the back of the hardcover of this book made me read it. I don't know why I delayed to write a review, though. I can't remember what the reviews said. But I'm pretty sure that the book followed through.
Louis
I learned that a girl found out that there was a person wearing a moustache and the person was called mary and the main character in this book was running away from mary because she doesnt want to get caught. I like this book because it was fun to read about people who are always solving a mystery and the book ends in a happy way
Teri Gorleski
This book is so exciting really you should read it. the author such a good job with the problem and solution she gives such good clues for Sammy,Marissa,Holly and Dot to follow. I think the front cover looks funny and fantastic! I hope you get the chance to read this fantastic book! No not this book the whole series yeah!
Sarahsunshine13
I've only read two books in the Sammy Keyes series, Hotel Thief and this one, but I'd like to read the rest. Most books say on the back of them that it was a real page-turner, but these books have really only been page-turners for me in my whole life. I literally couldn't put it down!
Dru
It's been a while since I've picked up some Sammy Keyes, and this one has a bit of everything: Sammy makes a new (older) friend, ghosts, family vendettas, a sleep over, Sammy's first house party, meth(!!!), a boy who likes Sammy, and a two hundred pound pig.
Heather
Yeah, so I totally figured this mystery out early on in the book. Mostly because I (apparently) recognized the basic ingredients for meth before I was even thirteen. Go figure. (And sorry for the spoiler if you haven't read it already.)
Kaelyn Grant
Loved the haunted story of the past included in the mystery of the current life. Also the Sammy faces a drinking party. The author captured the feel of teen partying and the poor choices some chose to make, and some chose to avoid.
Shelley
Since I've been reading these books out of order, I finally get to when Sammy and Casey meet for the first time and boy does their relationship change over time is all I can say. Another great Sammy Keyes story.
Hannah
One of the many adventures of Sammy Keyes. Sammy is a teenage detective always looking for clues to solve a mystery. Find out all about the Curse of Moustache Mary, who she was, and why the house she lived in is cursed!
Molly
I thought this book was good as it wasnt about a girl who was into boys and make-up, it was about a girl who goes on adventures with Moustache Mary. The plot was good and I enjoyed it gr8ly.
Irene
Ok, these books confuse me because I thought the Hotel thief was first, but Sammy meets Casey in this book for the first time. In the Hotel Thief, she already knew him....
Reagan
WOW. So far my FAVORITE Sammy Keyes book!! The characters were SO great, and I loved how Sammy really seemed to mature in the New Year. I NEED MORE!!!
Crystal Jimenez
I really liked this book. It got sorta scary at parts but it is a good book. The Author put a lot of effort into this book she did a good job
ConwayCountyLibrary .org
(youth review)This book was alright. Not my favorite but it was a cute story with an easy mystery to solve. ~Evan, 3rd grade, MIS
Emily
An okay mystery. Definitely more of a teen book than a 5th grade book because of some mature issues addressed.
Lilly
This was really cute! it was about a poor old woman who has a pet pig. kinda weird but really funny!
Jonathan
The mystery was a little less interesting mostly because the setting was pretty boring (desert)
  • Gilda Joyce: The Dead Drop (Gilda Joyce, #4)
  • Rescuing Seneca Crane (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #2)
  • The Mistaken Masterpiece (The Red Blazer Girls, #3)
  • Georgia's Greatness (Sisters Eight, #3)
  • Cliff-Hanger (Mysteries in Our National Park #3)
  • Something Wicked (Horatio Wilkes Mysteries, #2)
  • Kitty Kitty (Bad Kitty, #2)
  • Dovey Coe
  • Lulu Dark and the Summer of the Fox
  • The Unknowns
Van Draanen was born in Chicago, Illinois. One of her early influences was Dandelion Wine . According to the author, the book was "about the magic of growing up and [it] reminded me of all the wonderful mischief my brothers and I got into when we were young." Bradbury's work inspired Van Draanen to write How I Survived Being a Girl, which was published by HarperCollins in 1997. Other early influe ...more
More about Wendelin Van Draanen...

Sammy Keyes (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief
  • Sammy Keyes and the Skeleton Man (Sammy Keyes, #2)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Sisters of Mercy (Sammy Keyes, #3)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Runaway Elf (Sammy Keyes, #4)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Hollywood Mummy (Sammy Keyes, #6)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Search for Snake Eyes (Sammy Keyes, #7)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Art of Deception (Sammy Keyes, #8)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Psycho Kitty Queen (Sammy Keyes, #9)
  • Sammy Keyes And the Dead Giveaway (Sammy Keyes, #10)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Wild Things (Sammy Keyes, #11)
Flipped The Running Dream Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief Runaway Sammy Keyes and the Sisters of Mercy (Sammy Keyes, #3)