Start by marking “Shell Game (Kathleen Mallory, #5)” as Want to Read:
Shell Game (Kathleen Mallory, #5)

Shell Game (Kathleen Mallory #5)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,385 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
She hit the New York Times list with Bone by Bone. Now her repackaged backlist will fly off the shelves.

When a legendary magic trick goes horribly awry on national TV, detective Kathleen Mallory knows the gruesome death won't be the last. For misdirection is the heart of all magic-and perfect crimes.

Published (first published July 5th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Shell Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shell Game

Jeremy Hornik
Susan
Shell Game by Carol O'Connell is the 5th book of the Kathleen Mallory mystery series set in late-20th-century New York City. The intricate plot concerns a close-knit group of world-class magicians. Some are retired, some still performing. They gather for Holidays of Magic in Manhattan, starting with a televised event to honor the late magician Max Candle by performing Lost Illusion, his most famous (and dangerous) act. But something goes wrong; magician Oliver Tree is killed. To the crowds and p ...more
Òphiere editoriale
Per estrema onestà verso il presumibile pubblico del mystery tascabile, limito la valutazione a due stelle e non consiglio la lettura di questo romanzo. In pratica non diverte, troppo lungo e cincischiato lo sviluppo. Tuttavia questo romanzo ha molti meriti che lo pongono al sopra della produzione media della O'Connell. I lettori di thriller vogliono velocità e divertimento e non lo apprezzeranno. Lo faranno forse di più i lettori di romanzi tout cour, più pazienti, che avranno modo di scoprire ...more
Mary
Dec 07, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was reading a physical copy of this book while at the same time listening to an audio recording of Kate Atkinson's A God in Ruins. What do a hard-boiled cop story (with flawed (of course) NYPD detective Katherine Mallory) and a literary novel have in common? For me it was how both authors showed WW II influencing late 20th century and early 21st century lives. How what men did during the horror that afflicted the world during a few years in the '40's have affected later generations. O'Connell ...more
Cheryl
Dec 29, 2014 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of a series of books by Carol O'Connell about a beautiful, damaged, maverick, and almost sociopathic detective named Kathleen Mallory (who insists on being called simply "Mallory"), and the people that love her despite her flaws: Charles, an intelligent, rich, but ugly family friend; Lou, the cop that takes her in; and Riker, her adopted father's partner. The relationships that develop between these characters as they solve crimes together are the focus of the series. This story ...more
Melliott
This series is really going up and down for me. Loved the last one, but in this one I'm back to impatience for it to be over, while the next one (reading now) is better again. This one I mostly didn't enjoy because it's all about magicians and I am not a magic fan. I felt every bit as frustrated as Mallory with the whole lot of them (perhaps more, since she at least had a working theory about whodunnit), and was glad to turn the last page. I also thought the ending was kind of a cop-out. But as ...more
Jan C
Apr 24, 2011 Jan C rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I liked but didn't like this books. I had no interest in magicians. But maybe reading a "Mallory" book is like watching an accident take place. You don't want to watch yet at the same time you can't take your eyes away.

This story all goes back to this group of magicians and their activities in WWII. For whatever reason, they have gathered again in New York and Mallory's friend Charles is caught up with them. It seems his guardian, Max Candle (?), was one of them and left his tricks to Charles.

An
LJ
Shell Game - G+
Carol O'Connell
NYPD detective Kathleen Mallory's investigation of the "accidental" death of magician Oliver Tree who died while trying to recreate on live TV the late Max Candle's most famous trick, in which a man survives the fire of four crossbows. As Mallory capitalizes on her friendship with Candle's beloved cousin, Charles Butler, to delve into a WW II mystery involving a group of elderly magicians, all colleagues of Candle and Tree, hints of Mallory's inner life begin to eme
Laura Morrigan
In a disturbing but addictive story, young sociopathic detective Mallory must discover who among a group of magicians is killing off the others, because of a decades old tragedy. I like the character of the dead wife, still alive in her husband's mind and kept 'alive' to others by the numerous little tricks he uses to evoke her ghost. I also enjoyed the terrifying idea of murder through sabotaged magic tricks, that kind of thrill and horror that drives us to watch magic, terrified that it is rea ...more
Keith
Feb 02, 2016 Keith rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This one was quite difficult to finish. Mallory spend 90% of the novel badgering suspects with her theories and accusations. Also the reconstructions of various illusions and magic tricks got very tedious after awhile. Other Mallory novels I have loved for the quirky characters and dazzling sentences. Here even the sentences seemed dull. I was disappointed.
Sydney
Jan 20, 2015 Sydney rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author kept my attention throughout the book. I had to keep checking which of the four magicians was involved in the discussion. The story is filled with deception, threats, suspenseful twists, unexplainable magic and illusions that fail, and flashbacks to WWII and the connections between the magicians and Louisa. Detective Mallory is an intriguingly brilliant character right to the unexpected ending. Really 3.75 stars on my scale.
Michele bookloverforever
May 25, 2014 Michele bookloverforever rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Mallory is brilliant, obsessed and badly damaged psychologically from witnessing her mother's murder as a small child. rescued by a police officer when she wanderers as a homeless child she became an unorthodox police detective. her stories are strangely compelling as she solves complex puzzles with no holds barred in her search for the truth.
Audrey
May 16, 2013 Audrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite
I was quite unsure if I wanted to put this book in my favorites list; I decided it belongs there.

Shell Game is the first and only book I read in the Kathleen Mallory series written by Carol O'Connell. I have no special reason for picking up the book, so when I started reading I had no expectations.
As I was reading, I was pulled into the world of Kathleen Mallory, she intrigued me and as the story progressed, I looked forward to how she would react. The bits and pieces of humor littered in the
Tasula
Sep 26, 2013 Tasula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find the Kathy Malloy (slightly sociopathic cop) mystery series very enjoyable, this was the 4th in the series, and in previous books we learned about her adoption by a cop, her computer skills, the small town she came from, and her circle of inherited friends (who were all her adoptive father's friends). In this book, she goes back to a theme from an earlier book (magic tricks and magicians), and to solve a mysterious death, she investigates a death from 1942 in France during Nazi occupation. ...more
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 Pam Bales rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, police
Kathleen Mallory is a mystery wrapped in an enigma. These are a very good police mystery read. Book 5 in the series.
Scott
Feb 23, 2015 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of this author - I wrote a review of her book, shell game, here
Ruth
Aug 05, 2011 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-modern
c1999. Another strong addition to the Kathleen Mallory stories. These are so different to the normal police procedural/crime books and the characters are so well written that I found myself totally forgetting that these were fictional characters. Publishers Weekly described this book as "Hypnotic" which is as close as a succinct description as there could be. FWFTB: television, accident, magic, spectacular, gruesome. FCN: Kathleen Mallory (of course), Sergeant Riker, Malakhai, Charles Butler. "R ...more
Lydia
Sep 28, 2011 Lydia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unless well-versed in the world of magic, I highly doubt even those who can typically predict every twist of a plot will even come close to the surprises O'Connell has in this book. More than the previous Mallory books, Shell Game really makes you think - I found myself putting it down and reflecting on it, rereading certain passages to make sure I'd understood what was happening correctly, and doing all sorts of other things I don't usually need to do when I read for fun. The characters are dee ...more
Penny Ramirez
Hmmm....I *swear* I've read this before, but I can't find any record that I've done so. But as I'm reading, it all seems very familiar. It will go quickly, I guess.

.... later

Ok, I've finished and I am STILL convinced that I've read this book before, even though I can find no evidence of that fact. I knew too many of the details.

I enjoy the Mallory books for their gritty, hard edges and surprising depth of heart and ethics. Mallory's tortured soul leads her to interesting conclusions.

On to the
Vickie
Oct 12, 2015 Vickie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I got bored with all the magicians.
Alex Scampini
Aug 08, 2014 Alex Scampini rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book it was just a little difficult to follow
Linda Robinson
Nov 03, 2012 Linda Robinson rated it liked it
Not my favorite, although I liked Nick Prado and Emile St. John. Too much painstaking and painful detail about how to build an illusion. By the time I got out from under the trapdoor in a platform the size of a small room, I forgot who I'd met and who the magicians were, who was my suspect, and who was going to get away with it all. This book is more like the juggling act in a vaudeville revue than the illusionist theater of wartime Paris. It's got Mallory, and that's the good stuff.
Anahi
Feb 28, 2015 Anahi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book in O'Connell's Mallory series gives us a riveting historical murder, layered underneath more modern murders. The murders themselves are inventive & magical. The history is compelling. The literary style of O'Connell's s story telling mesmerizes. We also gain new insight into Detective Kathy Mallory's journey from "baby sociopath" to loner Special Crimes Unit cop. And we learn that she is not the monster that others would paint her or even a true sociopath.
LibraryLady
Jul 31, 2013 LibraryLady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Nothing is as it seems in this latest installment of Carol O'Connell's Detective Mallory series. When an old group of magicians get together to reenact one of Max Candle's ultimate acts, "accidents" begin to dwindle the magicians numbers. As Mallory works around departmental difficulties and sifts through master magician Malakhai's past and his wife Louisa's death, she discovers that magic is not for the faint of heart.
Deb
Mar 13, 2013 Deb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was about magic! A group of magicians committed a crime during WWII in France - killed a woman that was married to one of the magicians. A plan gone wrong; however, the widow is out to get the murderer after all these years. Mallory gets involved due to a modern day murder. Also, Charles grew up with these magicians so knew them when he was 7 years old. A bit far fetched, but I did enjoy it.
Jul 15, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
I enjoyed the book but the magic stuff not as much. The main character intrigues me and yet at times she seems kind of one dimensional. This was the first book that I had read of this series and the characters compelled me enough to try out more. I'm hoping the characters jump out at me a little more in some of the other books. Maybe it's a case of needing to start at the beginning!
Karen Hufman
I normally really like the series with Mallory in it, but this was not my favorite. I felt like a lot of it centered on a supposed murder that occurred over 50 years ago. It was never really proven that the current murder of the magician took place. The story centered on a group of magicians that met during WW II in occupied France.
Ejl
Dec 14, 2008 Ejl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was recommended to me as mystery novel using the world of stage magicians as a setting. Not bad, but didn't really inspire me to read more in this series, mainly as the characters didn't feel very real (like Ed McBain) or unreal enough (a la Sherlock Holmes), nor was the mystery very compelling.
Valissa
Nov 30, 2010 Valissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"It was close to pain as they moved nearer to one another."

"[She] decided to refrain from any more suggestions. It was better to simply wait for him to trip and break his neck in the dark. She was that patient with her friends."
  • To Play the Fool (Kate Martinelli, #2)
  • Hanging Time (April Woo, #2)
  • Silent Confessions
  • Eye of the Storm
  • The Bookwoman's Last Fling (Cliff Janeway, #5)
  • Murder at the Nightwood Bar (Kate Delafield, #2)
  • Hunting Down Amanda
  • Empty Ever After (Moe Prager, #5)
  • The Vault (Peter Diamond, #6)
  • Snowbound
  • The Stately Home Murder (Inspector Sloan #3)
  • Prayer of the Dragon (Inspector Shan, #5)
  • Dead Of Winter (Louis Kincaid, #2)
  • A Death In Calabria
Born in 1947, Carol O'Connell studied at the California Institute or Arts/Chouinard and the Arizona State University. She lives in New York City.

Series:
* Kathleen Mallory

More about Carol O'Connell...

Kathleen Mallory (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Mallory's Oracle (Kathleen Mallory, #1)
  • The Man Who Cast Two Shadows (Kathleen Mallory, #2)
  • Killing Critics (Kathleen Mallory, #3)
  • Stone Angel (Kathleen Mallory, #4)
  • Crime School (Kathleen Mallory, #6)
  • Dead Famous (Kathleen Mallory, #7)
  • Winter House (Kathleen Mallory, #8)
  • Find Me (Kathleen Mallory, #9)
  • The Chalk Girl (Kathleen Mallory, #10)
  • It Happens in the Dark (Kathleen Mallory, #11)