Start by marking “Mr. Putter & Tabby Pour the Tea” as Want to Read:
Mr. Putter & Tabby Pour the Tea

Mr. Putter & Tabby Pour the Tea (Mr. Putter & Tabby #1)

4.28  ·  Rating Details ·  1,057 Ratings  ·  97 Reviews
"The gentle, affecting first volume introduces elderly Mr. Putter, who decides that a cat will keep him from feeling lonely. Rylant’s texts reflect admirable concern for brevity and meticulous consideration of every word. They are in perfect sync with Howard’s expressive sketches, which slip abundant visual jokes into sunny, transparent watercolors and gouaches, and fluid ...more
Published March 30th 1994 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Putter & Tabby Pour the Tea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Putter & Tabby Pour the Tea

May 08, 2015 Miriam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture, younger
It's probably biased to give a book 5 stars because the cat reminds me of my own cat. But I don't care!

I also adopted a cat that was old and orange.

And he likes all the same things Tabby likes.

Like lying in the sun.

And eating.

And sleeping on me.

And not getting wet or exercising or having adventures.

Jun 27, 2010 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all cat lovers!
I completely and utterly love this book! Reading it makes me feel like I am hearing the purr of the cat I love and as cozy as I did sitting on Grandpa's lap as a little girl.

Mr. Putter is old and creaky. And lonely. He thinks about getting a kitten. But they are so wild and playful and exhausting... BUT, the pet shop lady assures him, EVERYONE wants kittens. They are so CUTE!
Well, Mr. Putter does NOT get a kitten. He waits for the perfect feline match. And it comes in the form of Tabby. She is
Lisa Vegan
Jul 02, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone; cat lovers; those who enjoy friendship stories; to teach empathy
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
I read this on the recommendation of my Goodreads friend Kathryn (thank you, Kathryn!) even though I thought it might make me feel a bit melancholy, what with yearning for a companion animal yet unable to have one.

But, this book is so wonderfully lovely in every way, I couldn’t help but feel happy as well as slightly sad.

The cover illustration won me over, and the whole book got better and better.

This is an incredibly sweet story about a lonely old man who wants a cat, not a kitten, and finds o
Ginny Messina
Aug 04, 2010 Ginny Messina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
When I asked for this book at the circulation desk, the children’s librarian popped up from her desk all the way across the room and ran over to show me where it was. She was very excited that I was going to read it and made me promise to come back for the rest of the Mr. Putter books. I definitely will.

I was so enthralled with this book that I made my husband read it. He’s not really a picture book kinda guy, but he liked it a lot. Then, on my way to take it back to the library, I detoured to
An excellent series that causes my 7yo to burst out laughing hysterically. The illustrations (by Arthur Howard) are superb. That man knows his cats, and the cat expressions, emotions, and body language are sometimes funnier than the text.

This is the first in the series, and it is so sweet. And funny.

My older son also loved these books at about the same age--and he is sneakily listening in to me reading them :)
Little Miss and the Legomeister
I love these books, the whole series. They are warm and funny. Mr. Putter is so earnest, and kind, and polite. It’s just that funny things keep happening to him. The illustrations are very expressive, they really communicate the emotions of the characters, especially Tabby.

These books are written for children who have outgrown “early readers” but are not quite ready for “chapter” books. They’re still easy to read and have a picture on each page, but they have more words on each page, and an incr
Jan 24, 2014 Jim rated it it was amazing
beautiful book. wonderful bedtime or classroom reading.
Paiton Larson
Oct 06, 2016 Paiton Larson rated it really liked it
Mr. Putter is an older man who lives alone. He wants to find someone to share his tea, muffins, and stories with. He decides to get a cat. At the pet store he found a kitten, but this wasn't what he wanted as the kitten wasn't anything like him. Mr. Putter decided to go to the shelter. At the shelter he finds an old cat whose bones creak, whose fur is thinning, and who's a little deaf. Mr. Putter is extremely satisfied, because this old cat is just like him. Mr. Putter buys this cat and takes he ...more
Apr 15, 2013 Pauline rated it really liked it
Shelves: early-chapters
Such a sweet, but kind of sad, little story. Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a sucker for cute little old men, so this one pulled me in immediately!
Jul 18, 2013 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
I just thought this story was so sweet. I loved how Mr. Putter found Tabby at the shelter and she was old and he choose her.
Lisa Campbell
Categories/Genres for this class fulfilled by this book - Fiction, early readers, picture book.
Estimate of grade level of interest-K-2 grade
Estimate of reading level - 6 -9 years
Brief description- This was my introduction to Mr Putter and Tabby! As a huge fan of animals, and animal rescues, I was delighted to find a book that advocated for the adoption of older animals! The story very sweetly illustrates the development of their friendship, and their days spent together.
Identify at least 2 chara
Aug 07, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-ya, romance, 2013
or should I say purrrrrfection.
Haa. ha.

My dream for one day is to live like Mr Putter & Mrs Teaberry.
May 11, 2015 Chantelle rated it it was amazing
My son and I both thoroughly enjoyed every book in this series (through #18; the rest weren't published / available at our library yet). Mrs. Rylant's sentence structure is simple enough for beginning readers to enjoy but don't let that fool you! Each book contains an engaging plot, clever & silly humor, and underlying themes of friendship, thoughtfulness, and responsibility. We spent many hours laughing together at the (mis)adventures of Mr. Putter, Tabby, and their friends. We were excited ...more
Feb 12, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
I saw this early-reader series mentioned recently in a book blog posting. I got the first four books from the library, and my youngest daughter and I read them in one sitting. They are absolutely delightful. How is it that I hadn't even heard of this series previously? We are familiar with Rylant's Henry and Mudge series and Poppleton series. We've enjoyed both of them, but we like this series even better. I'm delighted that we have another seventeen or so Mr. Putter & Tabby books left to en ...more
Dustin Roberts
Mar 07, 2012 Dustin Roberts rated it liked it
Shelves: easy-to-read
Mr. Putter lives all alone and has no one to share his tea, muffins, or stories with. When he grows tired of living alone he decides to get a cat. He goes to the pet store only to be disappointed. He wants a cat! Not a kitten! Kittens are nothing like him. The pet store owner directs him to the animal shelter. When he goes to the shelter he finds an old cat whose bones creak, whose fur is thinning, and who's a little deaf. She's just like Mr. Putter. He takes her home and they begin their wonder ...more
Feb 04, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, favorites
Mr. Putter is lonely and decides to get a cat. At the pet store, he is told they only sell kittens (who wants an old cat?). at the shelter, he has a choice, and chooses the oldest, creakiest one. Her name is Tabby and they live a wonderful life together.

I'm more of a dog lover, but I love Mr. Putter and Tabby's story and their life together. I know it's fiction, but it shows early readers that the relationships between humans and animals are important and wonderful.
Jun 10, 2014 Noel rated it it was amazing
"Mr. Putter himself had not been cute or peppy in a very long time."

My son loves this book--we are currently reading it nearly every night, alternating with The Yoda Chronicles, it must be said. It's a "mini-chapter book," which fits his reading level. And it features an older cat not unlike the one we have at our house! And also there are opera jokes, which Jamie loves b/c turning up opera is a running theme in our house, too. Will read more of these, I'm sure.
Feb 10, 2014 Terri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
Wow! Cynthia Rylant makes you love old Mr. Putter with words that are so easy a beginning reader can read the book, and yet incredibly profound with such simplicity.

"All day long as Mr. Putter clipped his roses and fed his tulips and watered his trees, Mr. Putter wished for some company."

Mr. Putter finds a very old, lonely cat at an animal shelter and now they both have companionship and their lives are no longer lonely.
Beth A.
Sep 07, 2012 Beth A. rated it it was amazing
I love these books, the whole series. They are warm and funny. Mr. Putter is so earnest, and kind, and polite. It’s just that funny things keep happening to him. Often in children’s books the elderly are described as crotchety or addled, but Mr. Putter is so easy to identify with. The illustrations are very expressive, they really communicate the emotions of the characters, especially Tabby.

Catherine Kirk
Oct 30, 2011 Catherine Kirk rated it really liked it
Popular Series

This is the story of a lonely older man named Mr. Putter. As he goes through his day, he realizes that he wants a friend and decides to adopt a cat. He finds the perfect yellow cat. She is older, like him, and he names her Tabby. By the end of the story, they have become best friends and set up a daily routine that makes them both happy.

I love Arthur Howard’s illustrations in this book because they are bright and show exactly what is happening on each page. Since this book is meant
Feb 15, 2014 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Another one I read at work. There are tons of these books, and I've never actually opened one up. But as I was reading this one, I finally found where the cute picture that's up at my local animal shelter came from. I love that Mr. Putter says he wants a cat, not a kitten, because he's not cute or lively. This book just made me happy.
Dawn Michelle
Oct 16, 2015 Dawn Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone

THIS is a delightful story of a lonely man, a lonely cat and how they found each other. It is a very short read, but is delightful on each page and it teaches a lesson that sometimes all you need is a friend [human or otherwise] to share you life, tea and adventures with. I loved this little book.
Marilea Blair
Dec 06, 2012 Marilea Blair rated it really liked it
Shelves: reading-4050-12
This book, as well as the rest of the books in the Mr. Putter and Tabby series would be a great way to introduce the idea of chapter books to young students that are still reading picture books. The book is formatted like a picture book, and has very few lines per page but it is also sectioned into three short chapters. I would use this to introduce the idea of chapter books because it wouldn’t be overwhelming to students who aren’t familiar with them at all. I also think this book would make a ...more
Alicia Lawrence
Mar 29, 2016 Alicia Lawrence rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-to-read
This is a very easy read with great pictures to go along with the words on the pages. Young readers will have a lot of fun reading the book while enjoying the pictures. Many children will be able to relate to the joy of getting a new pet as well.

Great book for advance reader, it illustrate the kindness and polite manners of the main character Mr.Putter. The consideration and emotional part of it is captivating. It shows problem solving skills. it is funny and warm. I highly recommend it.
I love this sweet little story about an old man and his cat. It was a long time read-aloud favorite, and now it's one my six year old happily reads on her own. I love everything by this author but I think this one is the best.
Melissa Mcavoy
May 13, 2012 Melissa Mcavoy rated it it was amazing
Elderly Mr. Putter is tired of living alone. He selects an old yellow cat from the shelter and names her Tabby. Ideal companions, they share more than creaking bones, thinning fur and deafness, they share a love of tea and muffins, an appreciation for beauty, and joy in each other’s company. Rylant uses repetition and simple, but well-chosen vocabulary to create warm and appealing characters. Howard’s delightfully off-kilter illustrations have wavy lines, cheerful clear colors and idiosyncratic ...more
Jul 09, 2015 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Love this sweet story about a lonely older man who adopts a lonely older cat just like himself and they become fast friends. A great story for generating empathy for people who are lonely.
Anastasia Keever
Sep 19, 2016 Anastasia Keever rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chapter-books-4
Of course I loved this book because of Tabby, but it also has great meaning to it. This chapter book shows what loneliness can be and feel like, some students could probably relate!
Mrs. Jourdan
Nov 03, 2014 Mrs. Jourdan rated it it was amazing
A lovely series for beginning readers with the added bonus of a main character in his golden years. Kindergarten students often call him Grandpa when we discuss the book.
  • Penny and Her Doll
  • Uncle Elephant
  • Mouse and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends
  • Ling & Ting Share a Birthday (Ling & Ting, #2)
  • Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa: Partners
  • Amelia Bedelia Under Construction
  • Papa, Do You Love Me?
  • Nate the Great Goes Undercover
  • When Will It Be Spring?
  • Blaze and the Lost Quarry
  • Choo Choo
  • Should I Share My Ice Cream? (Elephant & Piggie, #15)
  • Biscuit's New Trick
  • Dodsworth in New York
  • Flap Your Wings
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she ...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...

Mr. Putter & Tabby (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Walk the Dog