Start by marking “Mr. Putter & Tabby Pour the Tea” as Want to Read:
Mr. Putter & Tabby Pour the Tea

Mr. Putter & Tabby Pour the Tea (Mr. Putter & Tabby #1)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  701 ratings  ·  76 reviews
"The gentle, affecting first volume introduces elderly Mr. Putter, who decides that a cat will keep him from feeling lonely. Rylant’s texts reflect admirable concern for brevity and meticulous consideration of every word. They are in perfect sync with Howard’s expressive sketches, which slip abundant visual jokes into sunny, transparent watercolors and gouaches, and fluid ...more
Published March 30th 1994 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Putter & Tabby Pour the Tea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Putter & Tabby Pour the Tea

My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles GannettDinosaurs Before Dark by Mary Pope OsborneLittle Bear by Else Holmelund MinarikFrog and Toad Are Friends by Arnold LobelMercy Watson to the Rescue by Kate DiCamillo
Chapter books for six year olds
14th out of 86 books — 108 voters
Dewey by Vicki MyronHomer's Odyssey by Gwen CooperOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotInto the Wild by Erin HunterThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Cat Lovers List
152nd out of 566 books — 270 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Jun 27, 2010 Kathryn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all cat lovers!
I completely and utterly love this book! Reading it makes me feel like I am hearing the purr of the cat I love and as cozy as I did sitting on Grandpa's lap as a little girl.

Mr. Putter is old and creaky. And lonely. He thinks about getting a kitten. But they are so wild and playful and exhausting... BUT, the pet shop lady assures him, EVERYONE wants kittens. They are so CUTE!
Well, Mr. Putter does NOT get a kitten. He waits for the perfect feline match. And it comes in the form of Tabby. She is
Lisa Vegan
Jul 02, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone; cat lovers; those who enjoy friendship stories; to teach empathy
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
I read this on the recommendation of my Goodreads friend Kathryn (thank you, Kathryn!) even though I thought it might make me feel a bit melancholy, what with yearning for a companion animal yet unable to have one.

But, this book is so wonderfully lovely in every way, I couldn’t help but feel happy as well as slightly sad.

The cover illustration won me over, and the whole book got better and better.

This is an incredibly sweet story about a lonely old man who wants a cat, not a kitten, and finds o
Ginny Messina
When I asked for this book at the circulation desk, the children’s librarian popped up from her desk all the way across the room and ran over to show me where it was. She was very excited that I was going to read it and made me promise to come back for the rest of the Mr. Putter books. I definitely will.

I was so enthralled with this book that I made my husband read it. He’s not really a picture book kinda guy, but he liked it a lot. Then, on my way to take it back to the library, I detoured to
Dree
An excellent series that causes my 7yo to burst out laughing hysterically. The illustrations (by Arthur Howard) are superb. That man knows his cats, and the cat expressions, emotions, and body language are sometimes funnier than the text.

This is the first in the series, and it is so sweet. And funny.

My older son also loved these books at about the same age--and he is sneakily listening in to me reading them :)
Little Miss and the Legomeister
I love these books, the whole series. They are warm and funny. Mr. Putter is so earnest, and kind, and polite. It’s just that funny things keep happening to him. The illustrations are very expressive, they really communicate the emotions of the characters, especially Tabby.

These books are written for children who have outgrown “early readers” but are not quite ready for “chapter” books. They’re still easy to read and have a picture on each page, but they have more words on each page, and an incr
Jim
beautiful book. wonderful bedtime or classroom reading.
Pauline
Such a sweet, but kind of sad, little story. Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a sucker for cute little old men, so this one pulled me in immediately!
Kathryn
I just thought this story was so sweet. I loved how Mr. Putter found Tabby at the shelter and she was old and he choose her.
Rebecca
Perfection.
or should I say purrrrrfection.
Haa. ha.

My dream for one day is to live like Mr Putter & Mrs Teaberry.
Kimberly
I saw this early-reader series mentioned recently in a book blog posting. I got the first four books from the library, and my youngest daughter and I read them in one sitting. They are absolutely delightful. How is it that I hadn't even heard of this series previously? We are familiar with Rylant's Henry and Mudge series and Poppleton series. We've enjoyed both of them, but we like this series even better. I'm delighted that we have another seventeen or so Mr. Putter & Tabby books left to en ...more
Dustin Roberts
Mr. Putter lives all alone and has no one to share his tea, muffins, or stories with. When he grows tired of living alone he decides to get a cat. He goes to the pet store only to be disappointed. He wants a cat! Not a kitten! Kittens are nothing like him. The pet store owner directs him to the animal shelter. When he goes to the shelter he finds an old cat whose bones creak, whose fur is thinning, and who's a little deaf. She's just like Mr. Putter. He takes her home and they begin their wonder ...more
Noel
"Mr. Putter himself had not been cute or peppy in a very long time."

My son loves this book--we are currently reading it nearly every night, alternating with The Yoda Chronicles, it must be said. It's a "mini-chapter book," which fits his reading level. And it features an older cat not unlike the one we have at our house! And also there are opera jokes, which Jamie loves b/c turning up opera is a running theme in our house, too. Will read more of these, I'm sure.
Terri
Wow! Cynthia Rylant makes you love old Mr. Putter with words that are so easy a beginning reader can read the book, and yet incredibly profound with such simplicity.

"All day long as Mr. Putter clipped his roses and fed his tulips and watered his trees, Mr. Putter wished for some company."

Mr. Putter finds a very old, lonely cat at an animal shelter and now they both have companionship and their lives are no longer lonely.
Beth A.
I love these books, the whole series. They are warm and funny. Mr. Putter is so earnest, and kind, and polite. It’s just that funny things keep happening to him. Often in children’s books the elderly are described as crotchety or addled, but Mr. Putter is so easy to identify with. The illustrations are very expressive, they really communicate the emotions of the characters, especially Tabby.

Catherine Kirk
Popular Series

This is the story of a lonely older man named Mr. Putter. As he goes through his day, he realizes that he wants a friend and decides to adopt a cat. He finds the perfect yellow cat. She is older, like him, and he names her Tabby. By the end of the story, they have become best friends and set up a daily routine that makes them both happy.

I love Arthur Howard’s illustrations in this book because they are bright and show exactly what is happening on each page. Since this book is meant
Melanie
Another one I read at work. There are tons of these books, and I've never actually opened one up. But as I was reading this one, I finally found where the cute picture that's up at my local animal shelter came from. I love that Mr. Putter says he wants a cat, not a kitten, because he's not cute or lively. This book just made me happy.
Marilea Blair
This book, as well as the rest of the books in the Mr. Putter and Tabby series would be a great way to introduce the idea of chapter books to young students that are still reading picture books. The book is formatted like a picture book, and has very few lines per page but it is also sectioned into three short chapters. I would use this to introduce the idea of chapter books because it wouldn’t be overwhelming to students who aren’t familiar with them at all. I also think this book would make a ...more
Elizabeth
I love this sweet little story about an old man and his cat. It was a long time read-aloud favorite, and now it's one my six year old happily reads on her own. I love everything by this author but I think this one is the best.
Melissa Mcavoy
Elderly Mr. Putter is tired of living alone. He selects an old yellow cat from the shelter and names her Tabby. Ideal companions, they share more than creaking bones, thinning fur and deafness, they share a love of tea and muffins, an appreciation for beauty, and joy in each other’s company. Rylant uses repetition and simple, but well-chosen vocabulary to create warm and appealing characters. Howard’s delightfully off-kilter illustrations have wavy lines, cheerful clear colors and idiosyncratic ...more
Mrs. Jourdan
A lovely series for beginning readers with the added bonus of a main character in his golden years. Kindergarten students often call him Grandpa when we discuss the book.
Henry
MCL. I didn't like the part when he went to the pet store.
Linda
I'm reading my way through some early readers, and picked this one up because it's written by Cynthia Rylant. It is a lovely story of a lonely older man, Mr. Putter, and his slow move toward cat ownership. The book tells the story of Mr. Putter who has a nice life, but no one with whom to share special everyday things, like muffins or tea. He does finally choose an old shelter cat, and the rest of the book tells of a relationship that slowly grows. In the end, Mr. Putter realizes that he has som ...more
Kristine Pratt
Why does this book make me a little bit sad?

Such a beautiful story, gently giving several lessons about aging and animals and shelter pets. Just made me sigh in delight to read it.

But I can't quite give it 5 stars. Perhaps it's because I did feel melancholy at the end. It's something I highly doubt a child would ever notice, but as an adult I do. Personally I wonder if this series might be more for adults than children...just a thought...
Maggie
It was good that he found someone that he could share all he wanted to do with, like waking up in the morning, having tea, resting in the summer sometimes...oh, and then in the winter, turning on the opera very loud and singing to it. And it was funny that he put "Tabby" on his mailbox too, to tell the mailer that he had a cat.
Chiyuki
This is one of the series of stories about little happenings in the life of lovely gentle person and his cat. Mr. Putter and Tabby reminds me of how little things make our lives a bit more worth exploring. I used to read the series with my daughter before going to sleep and we became a big fan of them.
Lora
A cute, short book about a man who is very lonely and decides to get a cat to keep him company. My favorite thing about reading this book with my students is when one said, "Maybe Mr. Putter should just get married!" They were pretty sure that was the moral of the story.
Cindy Deboer
Cynthia Rylant manages to pack so much affection and humor into the few words allowed in an easy reader. Howard, the illustrator, conveys Tabby's many moods with just a twitch of a whisker or the slightest kink in a tail. My 6 and 8-year-old nephews love this series, as do I.
Joyce South
I found this book randomly on a bookshelf at an indoor playground years ago. I fell in love with Mr Putter and Tabby. I'm a cat person, so I'm sure that has something to do with it, but their story is just so tender and sweet. I love reading this book to my kids.
  • Amelia Bedelia Under Construction
  • Papa, Do You Love Me?
  • A Big Guy Took My Ball! (Elephant & Piggie, #19)
  • Nate the Great Goes Undercover
  • Uncle Elephant
  • Billy And Blaze: A Boy And His Pony
  • Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa
  • Flap Your Wings
  • Houndsley and Catina (Houndsley and Catina, #1)
  • Dragon's Fat Cat
  • Biscuit's New Trick
  • The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat
  • Penny and Her Song
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
  • Mouse and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she ...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...
The Relatives Came Missing May When I Was Young in the Mountains Henry and Mudge: The First Book (Henry and Mudge, #1) Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years