Start by marking “Captain Raptor and the Space Pirates” as Want to Read:
Captain Raptor and the Space Pirates

Captain Raptor and the Space Pirates

Planet Jurassica is under siege. The sinister space pirates have raided the Imperial palace and stolen the famous Jewels of Jurassica. This looks like a job for . . . Captain Raptor!. . . hero of a thousand space missions; champion of truth, justice, and dinosaurs in space throughout the galaxy. If anyone can track down those marauding space pirates, it's Captain Raptor an ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Walker Childrens (first published August 21st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Captain Raptor and the Space Pirates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captain Raptor and the Space Pirates

Becky
Thirty-two pages of pure, beautiful bliss for the mad seven year old that still lives inside me.

LOOK.AT.THAT.COVER.

So awesome. I actually turned the page in this book and exhaled "whooooaaaa!" at one point. Seriously I recommend this book for ages 5-10, and then from like 10 to infinity-years-old if you love Pirates, Dinosaurs, Dinos with lasers, Pacific Rim, not taking yourself too seriously, sick art, or general awesomeness.
Beth
Jul 08, 2011 Beth rated it liked it
This picture book title is the 2nd in a series of science fiction titles for kids. Although it's a picture book in nature it reads similar to a graphic novel. It tells the story of Captain Raptor and his crew who must save the planet Jurassica from space pirates. The plot lot was lacking in depth and interest, but kids will enjoy the detailed illustrations and silly humor. It is not text heavy so it makes for a good choice for reluctant readers. I would recommend this for students in grades 2-5 ...more
Michael Curran
Dec 21, 2016 Michael Curran rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
Barbara
May 02, 2008 Barbara rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Grades K - 4
Summary (CIP): Planet Jurassica is under siege. The sinister space pirates have raided the Imperial palace and stolen the famous Jewels of Jurassica. This looks like a job for . . . Captain Raptor! If anyone can track down those marauding space pirates, it’s Captain Raptor and the fearless crew of the Megatooth!

REVIEW: OK, this second adventure of Captain Raptor has it all – dinosaurs, outer space, and pirates… could one ask for anything more? This has Reluctant Reader written all over it. It is
Danie Plott
Oct 29, 2014 Danie Plott rated it it was amazing
Captain Raptor and the Space Pirates is probably the coolest children’s book I have ever picked up. The cover alone resembles the old Star Wars movie posters with an Indiana Jones-esque title shooting across the top. As for the rest of the book, when you combine dinosaurs, pirates, and outer space there is no way to go wrong. It is as if a ten-year-old boy’s Star Wars Legos and dinosaur action figures were merged to form mega-playtime and we are now witnessing his creativity as we turn each page ...more
Brenda Kahn
I work across the street from one of the best public libraries in my cooperative and often pop over during the school day (and after) to pick up the latest and greatest. I also love the fact that the children's librarian displays a ton of books, new and old. This one was on display this morning when I dashed over to pick up a trilogy conclusion for an eighth grader. How can one resist this cover? Plus, I am a fan of O'Malley's and even have Once Upon a Motorcycle Dude in my "Never too old for pi ...more
Magila
Let me just share a blurb from this...

"The hatch flies open, and a mob of misshapen mutants and reptilian cyborgs flow like a river out of the ship, screaming and shouting and waving their laser swords."

Are you kidding me! Sure, this is not for everyone, but for boys in the 3.5-6 zone, it can hardly get any cooler than space, pirates, and dinosaurs.

Parents interested in taking advantage of teaching moments can find complex literary elements, such as simile and alliteration. Then there is real s
Jessica
Jun 20, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all my nieces and nephews
I always look for books that put across a story in a unique way. The graphic novels have been interesting and I have been thinking about students publishing their research in graphic form using something like comic creator software. I chose this one for an example. The art work was well done and detailed. I liked the watercolors. The writing would keep young readers reading. It sounded like old radio plays:

"Take that!" shouts Bricthorous, firing a blastocannon. But the burst just bounces off the
The Brothers
Jan 21, 2016 The Brothers rated it it was amazing
Captain Raptor is back! And this time he must protect Jurrasica from evil space pirates (misshapen mutants and reptilian cyborgs)! They sack the palace and make off with the treasure and the Captain and his crew chase after them. They survive a shipwreck, pick up a marooned pirate, and make their way through the scary nebula to save Jurassica once again.

Once again, Captain Raptor has everything that little boys love.

Great illustrations.
Michele
May 26, 2013 Michele rated it really liked it
Okay. Love. Got this for Big Kid on the Kindle Fire (graphic novels look awesome on this thing) and I ended up liking this campy story of a dinosaur planet where the inhabitants act just like humans. Wish it had been longer, but if I were to guess the age group the author is aiming for, I'd say 5-6 year olds. Very cute, very good for young boys who should love this. Dinosaurs + Pirates + Outer Space = everything a little boy likes.
Scott
Aug 09, 2016 Scott rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I like my share of cheesy sci-fi and ludicrous plots so this looked like a decent read
BUT all it was was cheesy, ludicrous & ridiculous.
Thank you library that I didn't have to spend money on this.

I honestly don't give many one star ratings because even books that I really don't like - I can usually understand how someone could like them - but not this one. I can't envision someone liking this book...ever.

This is a definite pass.
A_Leticia
May 15, 2012 A_Leticia rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
In this Golden Duck Award winning book, Captain Raptor and his crew face the destruction of their planet, Jurassica, against the evil space pirates. The story is set up as a graphic novel. The setting and plot go hand-in-hand. The words on the page pop right out at you. See what happens in this action packed, fantasy, sci-fi book where no one can be trusted! A must read book for young boys.
Misty
Sep 30, 2009 Misty rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-for-boys
Wow, what a great book for little boys! This has everything they could possibly want. Dinosaurs, spaceships, battles, villains, you name it. Great story with fantastic illustrations. We can't wait to read the next one!
Tiffany Klier
Dec 20, 2014 Tiffany Klier rated it it was amazing
This dinosaur book took me by surprise. I had thought it would be a cute little space story and dinosaurs mixed in, but no. It was an innovative story that totally engaged my boys as I read from cover to cover.
Jean
Mar 25, 2008 Jean rated it really liked it
Wowie zowie! Dinosaurs! Pirates! Space Battles! Comic Books! This book has it all. Great fun for 1st and 2nd graders who think they are too old for picture books. Younger kids will love having it read to them. And even old folks will enjoy this one. I did.
Sherry
First-rate illustrations (highly detailed paintings) of space, spaceships and dinosaurs (mechanized and "life-like"). Its a feast for the eyes and an exciting adventure story that boys age 7-9 will really enjoy.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
This is awesome - in a cheesy science fiction way. I'm not sure I'd put it in the Picture Books section at the library, maybe Juvenile... but boys would definitely love it. Pirates! Raptors! SPACE ADVENTURES!
Tyler Alles
This was a unique book that most boys I think would enjoy. It involves dinosaurs fighting with swords and lasers. It is also set up in the format of a comic which was different for me. Both the pictures and the text were well done. Cool book.
DavidO
Feb 16, 2013 DavidO rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's a comic book about dinosaurs piloting space ships.... I thought it was a novel with a slightly less ridiculous premise. Oh well. Anyway, recommended for young boys who've just learned to read. Everyone else should stay away, not much to recommend it here.
Samantha
Recommended for Star Wars fans. Great artwork, difficult text though so even though this book resembles a picture book I'd say a 1-2nd grader might still have trouble pronouncing the dinosaurs' names and the names of the spaceships and their specialized gear.
Lucy
Aug 12, 2008 Lucy rated it really liked it
my kids 4 & 2 love this book - illustrations are very good and references are more for older kids - but they love the plot devices (is this the end of captain raptor....?) and I like the sophisticated language
Brianna Lanier
Mar 27, 2015 Brianna Lanier rated it liked it
Shelves: lssl3361
This book is about how Captain Raptor saves the day and the Jewels of Jurassica.
I liked how the book really took on the persona and verbiage of pirates.
An activity I would do: I would have the students create an alternative ending to the book.
Maureen Sheehan
Oct 17, 2015 Maureen Sheehan rated it it was ok
Sci-fi picture book is good if you are into dinosaurs and space ships. This picture book is more like a short graphic novel. The illustrations are very vivid, however, and the certainly enhance the book. I recommend this to any elementary student or above who likes dinosaurs and outer space.
Ruth
Nov 11, 2014 Ruth rated it really liked it
My seven year old loved it. It's dinosaurs and space rockets and pirates. It's not hard to love it. Great illustrations and a narrative like an old time radio show.
Kathy
Aug 21, 2010 Kathy rated it really liked it
Will this be the end for Captain Raptor and his crew?
This is proving to be a fun series! The art is beautiful.
Amanda Alanis
Jun 26, 2012 Amanda Alanis rated it it was ok
Shelves: 5360
The space pirates have stolen Jewels from Jurassica. The planet has been invaded by these pirates and now Captain Raptor the hero must track down these space pirates.
Babette Reeves
Sep 30, 2008 Babette Reeves rated it really liked it
Pirates, Dinosaurs, and Spaceships--Oh My! What more could you want in a very fun read? How about picture book quality art work with comic book style presentation?

Recommended ages: ages 3 and up
Julie
Oct 04, 2007 Julie rated it really liked it
Totally fun! Great book for young boys who want a Star Wars book or something similar but are too young to read the chapter books.
amy boese
Jun 06, 2013 amy boese rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2013, graphics
My 5 year old couldn't get enough of this book. 5 years later, he's less excited, but totally still willing to let me read it to him. I call that a success!
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Traction Man Is Here!
  • Pirates of the Silver Coast (Three Thieves, #5)
  • Rainstorm
  • Magic Trixie (Magic Trixie, Vol. 1)
  • SMASH: Trial by Fire
  • Millie Waits for the Mail (Millie's Misadventures)
  • The Cheese
  • Uptown
  • Tollins: Explosive Tales for Children
  • Dinotrux
  • Whales on Stilts (Pals in Peril, #1)
  • The Adventures of Polo
  • Louise, The Adventures of a Chicken
  • I'm Big!
  • Ambassador (Ambassador #1)
  • That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown
  • Sheep Blast Off!
  • Jimmy Zangwow's Out-of-This-World Moon-Pie Adventure
There is more than one author by this name on Goodreads.
More about Kevin O'Malley...