Start by marking “Captain Raptor and the Space Pirates” as Want to Read:
Captain Raptor and the Space Pirates

Captain Raptor and the Space Pirates

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Planet Jurassica is under siege. The sinister space pirates have raided the Imperial palace and stolen the famous Jewels of Jurassica. This looks like a job for . . . Captain Raptor!. . . hero of a thousand space missions; champion of truth, justice, and dinosaurs in space throughout the galaxy. If anyone can track down those marauding space pirates, it's Captain Raptor an ...more
Published August 21st 2007 by Walker Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Captain Raptor and the Space Pirates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captain Raptor and the Space Pirates

Dinotopia by James GurneyEdwina, the Dinosaur Who Didn't Know She Was Extinct by Mo WillemsDinosaur Bones by Bob BarnerHow Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food? by Jane YolenHow Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You? by Jane Yolen
Dinosaur Picture Books
41st out of 99 books — 16 voters
Boy and Bot by Ame DyckmanDoug Unplugged by Dan YaccarinoMr. Wuffles! by David WiesnerEarthlets by Jeanne WillisJune 29, 1999 by David Wiesner
SF Picture Books
36th out of 41 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Becky
Thirty-two pages of pure, beautiful bliss for the mad seven year old that still lives inside me.

LOOK.AT.THAT.COVER.

So awesome. I actually turned the page in this book and exhaled "whooooaaaa!" at one point. Seriously I recommend this book for ages 5-10, and then from like 10 to infinity-years-old if you love Pirates, Dinosaurs, Dinos with lasers, Pacific Rim, not taking yourself too seriously, sick art, or general awesomeness.
Beth
This picture book title is the 2nd in a series of science fiction titles for kids. Although it's a picture book in nature it reads similar to a graphic novel. It tells the story of Captain Raptor and his crew who must save the planet Jurassica from space pirates. The plot lot was lacking in depth and interest, but kids will enjoy the detailed illustrations and silly humor. It is not text heavy so it makes for a good choice for reluctant readers. I would recommend this for students in grades 2-5 ...more
Danie Plott
Captain Raptor and the Space Pirates is probably the coolest children’s book I have ever picked up. The cover alone resembles the old Star Wars movie posters with an Indiana Jones-esque title shooting across the top. As for the rest of the book, when you combine dinosaurs, pirates, and outer space there is no way to go wrong. It is as if a ten-year-old boy’s Star Wars Legos and dinosaur action figures were merged to form mega-playtime and we are now witnessing his creativity as we turn each page ...more
Barbara
May 02, 2008 Barbara rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Grades K - 4
Summary (CIP): Planet Jurassica is under siege. The sinister space pirates have raided the Imperial palace and stolen the famous Jewels of Jurassica. This looks like a job for . . . Captain Raptor! If anyone can track down those marauding space pirates, it’s Captain Raptor and the fearless crew of the Megatooth!

REVIEW: OK, this second adventure of Captain Raptor has it all – dinosaurs, outer space, and pirates… could one ask for anything more? This has Reluctant Reader written all over it. It is
Scott
I like my share of cheesy sci-fi and ludicrous plots so this looked like a decent read
BUT all it was was cheesy, ludicrous & ridiculous.
Thank you library that I didn't have to spend money on this.

I honestly don't give many one star ratings because even books that I really don't like - I can usually understand how someone could like them - but not this one. I can't envision someone liking this book...ever.

This is a definite pass.
Tiffany Klier
This dinosaur book took me by surprise. I had thought it would be a cute little space story and dinosaurs mixed in, but no. It was an innovative story that totally engaged my boys as I read from cover to cover.
Ruth
My seven year old loved it. It's dinosaurs and space rockets and pirates. It's not hard to love it. Great illustrations and a narrative like an old time radio show.
Magila
Let me just share a blurb from this...

"The hatch flies open, and a mob of misshapen mutants and reptilian cyborgs flow like a river out of the ship, screaming and shouting and waving their laser swords."

Are you kidding me! Sure, this is not for everyone, but for boys in the 3.5-6 zone, it can hardly get any cooler than space, pirates, and dinosaurs.

Parents interested in taking advantage of teaching moments can find complex literary elements, such as simile and alliteration. Then there is real s
Jessica
Jun 20, 2008 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all my nieces and nephews
I always look for books that put across a story in a unique way. The graphic novels have been interesting and I have been thinking about students publishing their research in graphic form using something like comic creator software. I chose this one for an example. The art work was well done and detailed. I liked the watercolors. The writing would keep young readers reading. It sounded like old radio plays:

"Take that!" shouts Bricthorous, firing a blastocannon. But the burst just bounces off the
Annie
I thought the first one was better, but Jack was THRILLED with this.
Michele
Okay. Love. Got this for Big Kid on the Kindle Fire (graphic novels look awesome on this thing) and I ended up liking this campy story of a dinosaur planet where the inhabitants act just like humans. Wish it had been longer, but if I were to guess the age group the author is aiming for, I'd say 5-6 year olds. Very cute, very good for young boys who should love this. Dinosaurs + Pirates + Outer Space = everything a little boy likes.
A_Leticia
In this Golden Duck Award winning book, Captain Raptor and his crew face the destruction of their planet, Jurassica, against the evil space pirates. The story is set up as a graphic novel. The setting and plot go hand-in-hand. The words on the page pop right out at you. See what happens in this action packed, fantasy, sci-fi book where no one can be trusted! A must read book for young boys.
Samantha
Recommended for Star Wars fans. Great artwork, difficult text though so even though this book resembles a picture book I'd say a 1-2nd grader might still have trouble pronouncing the dinosaurs' names and the names of the spaceships and their specialized gear.
DavidO
It's a comic book about dinosaurs piloting space ships.... I thought it was a novel with a slightly less ridiculous premise. Oh well. Anyway, recommended for young boys who've just learned to read. Everyone else should stay away, not much to recommend it here.
Jean
Wowie zowie! Dinosaurs! Pirates! Space Battles! Comic Books! This book has it all. Great fun for 1st and 2nd graders who think they are too old for picture books. Younger kids will love having it read to them. And even old folks will enjoy this one. I did.
Tyler Alles
This was a unique book that most boys I think would enjoy. It involves dinosaurs fighting with swords and lasers. It is also set up in the format of a comic which was different for me. Both the pictures and the text were well done. Cool book.
Misty
Wow, what a great book for little boys! This has everything they could possibly want. Dinosaurs, spaceships, battles, villains, you name it. Great story with fantastic illustrations. We can't wait to read the next one!
Sherry
First-rate illustrations (highly detailed paintings) of space, spaceships and dinosaurs (mechanized and "life-like"). Its a feast for the eyes and an exciting adventure story that boys age 7-9 will really enjoy.
Lucy
my kids 4 & 2 love this book - illustrations are very good and references are more for older kids - but they love the plot devices (is this the end of captain raptor....?) and I like the sophisticated language
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
This is awesome - in a cheesy science fiction way. I'm not sure I'd put it in the Picture Books section at the library, maybe Juvenile... but boys would definitely love it. Pirates! Raptors! SPACE ADVENTURES!
Babette Reeves
Pirates, Dinosaurs, and Spaceships--Oh My! What more could you want in a very fun read? How about picture book quality art work with comic book style presentation?

Recommended ages: ages 3 and up
Amanda Alanis
The space pirates have stolen Jewels from Jurassica. The planet has been invaded by these pirates and now Captain Raptor the hero must track down these space pirates.
amy boese
My 5 year old couldn't get enough of this book. 5 years later, he's less excited, but totally still willing to let me read it to him. I call that a success!
Julie
Totally fun! Great book for young boys who want a Star Wars book or something similar but are too young to read the chapter books.
Kathy
Will this be the end for Captain Raptor and his crew?
This is proving to be a fun series! The art is beautiful.
Vani
what could be better than dinosaurs in space? Dinosaurs in space with Pirates!!
Jetta
Dinosaurs, space, pirates... all things Jake loves. He was enthralled.
Pamela
Great adventure/sci-fi story done in a comic book style.
Carrie
Not my favorite book, but my boys adore it.
Snow
reading for NoveList booklists
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
There is more than one author by this name on Goodreads.
More about Kevin O'Malley...
Once Upon a Cool Motorcycle Dude Once Upon a Royal Superbaby Captain Raptor and the Moon Mystery Gimme Cracked Corn and I Will Share Animal Crackers Fly the Coop