Start by marking “Tomorrow's Garden: Design and Inspiration for a New Age of Sustainable Gardening” as Want to Read:

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  16 reviews
With a keen eye for aesthetics matched by a strong concern for the environment, garden expert
Stephen Orr has developed a sense of what a modern garden should be: small, visually pleasing, and
responsible. In Tomorrow's Garden, he presents gardens in 14 American cities that have been scaled
back and simplified without sacrificing beauty or innovative design.

A devoted supporte
Published February 15th 2011 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about Tomorrow's Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tomorrow's Garden

jess
I waited for this book with baited breath and gushing enthusiasm, even though I expected to be sorely disappointed like I always am. Since this book practically exceeded every expectation, I thought it was a resounding success. My biggest complaint is that it should be about 2" bigger in every dimension and include about 400 more pages. There are so many amazing gardens from Texas & California, it can incite serious envy if you live someplace where the climate is less favorable. There is als ...more
Alan
The book itself is handsome, but the information is applicable to a fairly focused audience: city-dwellers, or wealthier urbanites. The majority of the book consists of case-studies of gardens in California (LA, Venice), New York, Austin, Portland, and Nantucket -- not exactly a representative sample of likely locations for a wide audience. However, for those who fall within this book's focus, it has some very helpful resources (websites, contact information for the landscape designers whose wor ...more
Michelle Lin
This book is beautiful - the font, the pictures, even the cover - beautiful. However, it's filled with gardens mainly from California, Texas and New York. There's a few others, but not enough to help gardeners from those or any other area. In the author's defense, he does mention (numerous times) that you should consult local advice. Yes, you should. And your garden, most likely, will then look nothing like these gardens.

So, why would a gardener read this? It's a coffee table book - beautiful,
Rachel
Okay, I really, really enjoyed this book. The author is honest, and it's fun to see how real families respond to gravel gardens and the like. So much was covered, though I felt the Austin, Brooklyn, Portland, and Southern California regions were a bit overdone (though now as I write that, I can see how those areas might be the larger population booms over the next fifty years). A good read, great pictures and some wonderful ideas.
Julia
Title is very appropriate: these are great design ideas and inspiration for thinking about ways to create sustainable gardens. Much of the design is on the higher end, but not exclusively, and there is much that could be taken and used by those of us without much of a design budget. Loved the chapter on raising livestock in the city, including the discussion on the trend's backlash, and I learned a lot about the sustainability of gravel, too, which I did not expect.
Nate
Lots of good ideas and examples from lots of different parts of the country. It felt like reading a long string of articles from House and Garden or Sunset or some other interesting gardening magazine. I appreciated his approach of finding semi-normal gardeners, not people who do everything perfectly. Good balance between aesthetics and functionality, edible and ornamental gardening.
gina
I can't say anything nearly as thorough or good as my GR friend Jess did so just go see her review : http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

I will say that it was a lovely book, and very inspirational and anyone planning a garden should see this book. :)
Kathleen
the pictures were inspirational. however, the text was poorly laid out. sometimes it was hard to keep track of what text corresponded to which picture. other than the general messiness of the text, it was pretty fantastic.
Caro
Lots of pictures of high-end garden designs, mostly on the coasts. Not quite enough about sustainability. Pretty to look at, though, and I liked his memories of the gardens he grew up with in Texas in the 1960s and 70s.
John
Sep 04, 2012 John marked it as to-read
Had to take it back to the library before I was finished. Will check out and read completely at a later date. Excellent info for central Texas, and an innovative approach to garden design and landscaping.
Lake County Public Library Indiana
"Beautiful book, lovely pictures...everything you might need to know for sustainable gardening (even raising chickens, if you wanted to!)"
-Susan/Circulation
Annie Oosterwyk
Great photos and interesting stories of other people's gardens. I appreciated the emphasis on multiple use and sustainability and intentional living.
Beth Billstrom
I really like this book as it gave me a lot to think about as I expand my gardening endeavors. I would highly recommend it.
Lori
Inspiration for spring-time garden plans. Going into my permanent collection.
Megan
Pretty eye candy for the gardening type folk out there.
Lucia
Sep 23, 2013 Lucia marked it as to-read
opl has it
Atziri
Atziri marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Colleen Malley
Colleen Malley marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Christian Bretschneider
Christian Bretschneider marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Katie Rudy
Katie Rudy marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Priscilla
Priscilla marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Kristen Leanna
Kristen Leanna marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Emily Kira
Emily Kira marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Stephen Orr is the author of Time’s Long Ruin, which has been long-listed for the 2011 Miles Franklin Literary Award. It’s his third novel, and it’s also been shortlisted for the South East Asia and Pacific Best Book Award in the 2011 Commonwealth Writers’ Prize.

Stephen lives with his family in Adelaide where he is a teacher and freelance literary reviewer and columnist. He has worked as a writer
More about Stephen Orr...
One Boy Missing Time's Long Ruin The New American Herbal The Cruel City: Is Adelaide the Murder Capital of Australia? Dissonance