Start by marking “Tomorrow's Garden: Design and Inspiration for a New Age of Sustainable Gardening” as Want to Read:

With a keen eye for aesthetics matched by a strong concern for the environment, garden expert
Stephen Orr has developed a sense of what a modern garden should be: small, visually pleasing, and
responsible. In Tomorrow's Garden, he presents gardens in 14 American cities that have been scaled
back and simplified without sacrificing beauty or innovative design.

A devoted supporte
Published February 15th 2011 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about Tomorrow's Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tomorrow's Garden

jess
May 24, 2011 jess rated it really liked it
Shelves: growing, 2011
I waited for this book with baited breath and gushing enthusiasm, even though I expected to be sorely disappointed like I always am. Since this book practically exceeded every expectation, I thought it was a resounding success. My biggest complaint is that it should be about 2" bigger in every dimension and include about 400 more pages. There are so many amazing gardens from Texas & California, it can incite serious envy if you live someplace where the climate is less favorable. There is als ...more
Alan
Jan 06, 2013 Alan rated it it was ok
The book itself is handsome, but the information is applicable to a fairly focused audience: city-dwellers, or wealthier urbanites. The majority of the book consists of case-studies of gardens in California (LA, Venice), New York, Austin, Portland, and Nantucket -- not exactly a representative sample of likely locations for a wide audience. However, for those who fall within this book's focus, it has some very helpful resources (websites, contact information for the landscape designers whose wor ...more
Michelle Lin
Jan 02, 2012 Michelle Lin rated it liked it
This book is beautiful - the font, the pictures, even the cover - beautiful. However, it's filled with gardens mainly from California, Texas and New York. There's a few others, but not enough to help gardeners from those or any other area. In the author's defense, he does mention (numerous times) that you should consult local advice. Yes, you should. And your garden, most likely, will then look nothing like these gardens.

So, why would a gardener read this? It's a coffee table book - beautiful,
Rachel
May 10, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Okay, I really, really enjoyed this book. The author is honest, and it's fun to see how real families respond to gravel gardens and the like. So much was covered, though I felt the Austin, Brooklyn, Portland, and Southern California regions were a bit overdone (though now as I write that, I can see how those areas might be the larger population booms over the next fifty years). A good read, great pictures and some wonderful ideas.
Julia
Feb 16, 2012 Julia rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening, nonfiction
Title is very appropriate: these are great design ideas and inspiration for thinking about ways to create sustainable gardens. Much of the design is on the higher end, but not exclusively, and there is much that could be taken and used by those of us without much of a design budget. Loved the chapter on raising livestock in the city, including the discussion on the trend's backlash, and I learned a lot about the sustainability of gravel, too, which I did not expect.
Nate
Jul 18, 2011 Nate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: plants-garden
Lots of good ideas and examples from lots of different parts of the country. It felt like reading a long string of articles from House and Garden or Sunset or some other interesting gardening magazine. I appreciated his approach of finding semi-normal gardeners, not people who do everything perfectly. Good balance between aesthetics and functionality, edible and ornamental gardening.
John
Aug 10, 2012 John marked it as to-read
Had to take it back to the library before I was finished. Will check out and read completely at a later date. Excellent info for central Texas, and an innovative approach to garden design and landscaping.
Kathleen
Jul 02, 2011 Kathleen rated it really liked it
the pictures were inspirational. however, the text was poorly laid out. sometimes it was hard to keep track of what text corresponded to which picture. other than the general messiness of the text, it was pretty fantastic.
gina
Feb 22, 2012 gina rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, gardening
I can't say anything nearly as thorough or good as my GR friend Jess did so just go see her review : http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

I will say that it was a lovely book, and very inspirational and anyone planning a garden should see this book. :)
Caro
Aug 28, 2011 Caro rated it liked it
Lots of pictures of high-end garden designs, mostly on the coasts. Not quite enough about sustainability. Pretty to look at, though, and I liked his memories of the gardens he grew up with in Texas in the 1960s and 70s.
Megan
Aug 14, 2011 Megan rated it liked it
Pretty eye candy for the gardening type folk out there.
Lori
Feb 08, 2012 Lori rated it it was amazing
Inspiration for spring-time garden plans. Going into my permanent collection.
Lucia
Sep 23, 2013 Lucia marked it as to-read
opl has it
Lake County Public Library Indiana
"Beautiful book, lovely pictures...everything you might need to know for sustainable gardening (even raising chickens, if you wanted to!)"
-Susan/Circulation
Annie Oosterwyk
Great photos and interesting stories of other people's gardens. I appreciated the emphasis on multiple use and sustainability and intentional living.
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2012
Ann
Ann rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2013
Beth Budra
Beth Budra rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2012
Karie Wylie
Karie Wylie rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2013
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2011
Rafal Cebula
Rafal Cebula rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Lynn Mills
Lynn Mills rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Cetoddphd
Cetoddphd rated it really liked it
May 08, 2015
Brian Tunney
Brian Tunney rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2014
Leanda
Leanda rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2013
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2014
Avril
Avril rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2011
Kharah
Kharah rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2011
michelle
michelle rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2014