Start by marking “Turned (The Vampire Journals, #1)” as Want to Read:
Turned (The Vampire Journals, #1)
Read eBook

Turned (The Vampire Journals #1)

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  8,510 ratings  ·  799 reviews
Visit here for a free download of the number one bestselling vampire novel, Turned!

Eighteen year old Caitlin Paine finds herself uprooted from her nice suburb and forced to attend a dangerous New York City high school when her Mom moves again. The one ray of light in her new surroundings is Jonah, a new classmate who takes an instant liking to her.

But before their romance
Published January 24th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Turned, please sign up.

Courtney If you're after free books, might I suggest you visit your local library? That being said, both iBooks and Amazon Kindle stores have this available to…moreIf you're after free books, might I suggest you visit your local library? That being said, both iBooks and Amazon Kindle stores have this available to download at no cost.(less)
Vampire Academy by Richelle MeadTwilight by Stephenie MeyerMarked by P.C. CastCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareBlue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz
Best Teen Vampire Fiction
45th out of 337 books — 4,332 voters
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterSilence by Becca FitzpatrickPassion by Lauren Kate
YA Novels of 2011
237th out of 1,157 books — 6,903 voters

More lists with this book...

Danielle.
"A book to rival TWILIGHT and VAMPIRE DIARIES, and one that will have you wanting to keep reading until the very last page! If you are into adventure, love and vampires this book is the one for you!"

Twilight? No.

Vampire Diaries? The books? Hell no. The TV series? Absolutely not.

Speshul 18 year old Caitlin only wants to be an anonymity at her high school. Speshul Caitlin is too “weird” for people. Too boring. Too plain. Nothing speshul about speshul Caitlin.

“… she felt alone. Not because she was
Cory
ReviewerLarissa
Review for: Bloddeuedd

I’ll be honest, when B. sent me this book and I saw the title, my thoughts were: “Gawd, not another Vampire Diaries, Twilight rip-off!” ‘Cause there seems to be no end of those. It’s like the DaVinci Code all over again! While Turned is in no way original or refreshing – at least to me (let’s face it, there’s not much I haven’t seen and that includes lizard vampires!) – it was a nice read and I was glad B. sent it over. Let me tell you why.

Caitlin’s mum has the moving bug,
Sonia
Marcella
The one word that I will use to describe this book: what?

-First: She's in New York, her mom is crazy. no explanation why she is or why she left her old town.

-Second: She just meets this Jonah guy an is all in love. okay. I'm sure there was just a "connection"

-Third: Oh gee, she's craving blood and has supernatural abilities, but she has no clue what she is. You'd think wanting to drink the blood of a puppy might be a dead give away.

-Four: She gets all upset at the Caleb guy for not LOVING her wh
Hawkeye
So far, I've read up to book 6 on this series. I really like the series and as you read into the next books, the characters start to evolve more and you get more background on them. I do like the story line, and it moves at a pretty good pace.

However, there are a lot of technical errors in these books. There was obviously no editor that worked on this book, and I have to assume that the author herself did not go back and do a lot of re-reading on her script. There are a LOT of typo's and words
Kayleigh
There's three things which in my mind make up a book:
-Decent story Line
-Writing Quality
-Decent character's
This book seems to lack all three of these things, though I will say that the story line had a lot of potential just the writing quality nor the character's were good.

A 150 page book is not recommended for a YA book, as it's not enough time to have a well paced book. This book began with a quite standard beginning, which was the only reason I made it through the book, but near enough straigh
Jackie
hmmp .. Let see ..

This is definitely an easy read novel .. I finished it in about 3 hrs .. It has some good points in it such as how the author choose to use simple words which is definitely a good one since I'm having a hard time reading other novels and keep on glancing my dictionary and keep wondering if its meant to be literally or if its meant to be figurative ..

But anyway, I hate to say that the negative ones, outnumbered the positive. So here are some of them :

I hate how Caitlin keeps o
Jessica
I stumbled across this book on my kindle, so I guess the price of nothing sums up why this book costs nothing. It is badly written, I felt like a child had attempted to mash vampire diaries and twilight together. seriously, Why?

The series title ' vampire journals' (oh where have I heard that before? Oh yeah ' the vampire diaries') anyway a journal has nothing to do with the book, she mentions that she has one but she looses it. so you'd think it would at least be written from the character poin
Krissy
The best part of this book is the cover. First off, the series is called the "Vampire Journals" because of the two scenes where the main character carries a journal with her? I fail to see the significance, other than the hope that it will be confused with the "Vampire Diaries" series.

The story itself just doesn't track. For instance, Caitlin and her brother Sam have this horrible mother and no father, so they're supposed to be incredibly close:

"He was the only constant in her life...He seemed
Literary
First off, I love this cover. The darkness and fierceness of it is pretty awesome in my opinion. It's what made me decide to go ahead and start reading this book, even though I had prior commitments. Sorry ya'll, but I was drawn to this. =)

The title insinuates that someone in the story is going to be turned into a full-fledged vampire. And, someone did, but not the someone I was expecting. That sort of disappointed me, but there's always the sequel(s). =)

As for the remainder of the story ... the
Amanda

Where do I begin...? Ok ill start off by saying that this review is being written after I finished the entire series. This story has so many possibilities and the potential to be phenomenal, it really does. I've never read anything like it and most vampire books are predictable so I was happy for something new and original. However, I don't think the author actually went back and read her full series together at one time. I say this because she literally ends at least 20 chapters exactly the sa
Anastasia [I'm Wonderstruck...]
At first, I would have given this three stars, due to my overall indifference towards it. However, a few things ruined it for me.

I will break my review into two sections describing what made me rate this what I did.

The "romance:"

Um, can I SCREAM insta-love? This "romance" was laughably underdeveloped and rushed. I understand the idea of instant attraction, but there is no way Caleb would reciprocate those feelings that quickly.

The lazy cliffhanger:

Don't tell me that wasn't lazy. That c
Minie
Horribly written is all I can say to describe this book. A definite no... I'm not reading the second.. Third or however many books it is in this series.

Seriously??? The point that totally got to me was her demand that he (Caleb) love her after their little run in?? Seriously?? Is she on crack? The whole storyline didn't have much going for it.. She's moved around a lot..reason unknown.. She meets nice boy in school.. And somehow connects with him and deem herself in love with him.. After two day
Becca
Morgan created a nice spin for the vamp genre. Not familiar with with this author, I took a shot on the ebook version through my ipod/ibook account. Found it to be nice paced, action packed and intriguing enough to buy the second book! If you're looking for a new series - definitely check this out.

Here's the GR's synopsis if you haven't read it: "Eighteen year old Caitlin Paine finds herself uprooted from her nice suburb and forced to attend a dangerous New York City high school when her Mom mov
Noelyn Marie
*********Spoilers**********

Um, can you repeat that sentence?

And seriously? The Vampire Journals? She couldn't come up with a more original name for her series? The journal Caitlin has barely plays a part. It's just there, it's in no way an integral part of the story. I actually forgot all about it until l sat down to write this review and saw the title of the series.

The book flew by so fast I barely remember what happened. In 196 pages, the main character, Caitlin, starts out at a new school in
AvidReader47
WOW! WOW! WOW! Turned by Morgan Rice was fabulous! Couldn't put this down. Even though it was a shorter novel, it was filled to the brim with excitement and suspense. Caitlin is not your normal teenager. When she moves to a New York City with her Mom and brother Sam, she doesn't know what to expect. One day after school, she notices a fellow classmate being bullied in an alley. When she tries to help, and discovers herself in danger, an overwhelming hunger, urge and strength comes over her. The ...more
Michelle (tinyturtle88)
Not my favorite. The plot had promise but was too poorly written. Examples:
"..she also felt stone along her back, she was up against the wall, chained to a wall."

"...simply reached out his hand and caught the bullet mid-air. Katelyn was shocked to see that he'd stopped it in mid-air, in his palm. "

I also listened to the audio and the narrator spoke so painfully slow that the plot couldnt even build enough momentum to ignore the writing. At least it was a short book. I wont be picking up the next
Deborah
I loved this book, Caitlynn is an interesting character who meets and falls in love with the mysterious Caleb. It has a good story and leaves you ready for the next book.

It's about 2 years since I read this book and to be honest I never really intended to review but it's being promoted on bookbub at the moment so I wanted to give some advice, this book is really good and the next book is also a good interesting read but after that it goes seriously downhill I made the mistake of being so impress
Molly
This book is really familiar.

And not just because there are thousands of others out there like it (because let's be honest, there are), but because it reads pretty much exactly like something I wrote when I was 14.

I mean exactly.

The pacing, the characters, the story line; it got too the point where I was genuinely starting to hope this hadn't been written by an adult. It just pained me too much to think that someone mature and educated (presumably) could write something like this.

In saying that
Art Lueder
I'm normally a big fan of books about newbie vampires but I didn't like this book at all. The protagonist, I can't call her a heroine, a slow witted 18 year old who seems to fall in love with any attractive guy who treats her nicely. Through the course of this blessedly short book Caitlin discovers she is a half-vampire when, after her 18th birthday, she suddenly develops a thirst for blood and super speed and strength. Unfortunately her first blood lust has her draining a Russian singer at Carn ...more
Brooke
A lot of typos, fairly clueless main character, not much new. Concept potentially good, execution, meh. I suggest you read the ·Twilight· or ·Mortal Instruments· series instead.
Franziska
This book is an easy and quick read, it is kind of ok but nothing to remember or read again.

It is full of well-worn cliches and very predictable. I don't like the good-versus-evil-stories. I think characters with layers and personalities are far more interesting. I want to be surprised by the characters of a book. I want to understand and feel with them. In "turned" I can not connect with anyone. Jonah could have been interesting, but soon becomes just a bystander. Caleb has no personality, Cait
Kelly
I really think it could have been better, but then there were lots of incoherent things like her love or whatever that was for Caleb... Anyway, it was a free read on Amazon so I'm not going to complain too much :).
Sofia Sundfors
This book was: simple; which is so tragic because it could have been so much better.
The plot had: potential... but didn't find the right key to success.

The beginning was: intriguing.
The middle was: so-so.
The crescendo was: nice.
The finish/ending was: great.

The characters were: good; but they all could have improved and put on a little polish in my opinion.
The worldbuilding was: too much, yet at the same time, too little. The worldbuilding had all the wrong details, and none of the right.
The lang
Paranormal_Madness
Warning, there may be spoilers.

What I liked:
-Concept. I guess the idea behind this book was okay. It wasn’t the most original thing, but it definitely wasn’t a carbon copy of all the other vampire romance books that have flooded the market. I like the idea of vampires going to war and even a vampire religion, and it’d be interesting to see how it all plays out.

What I disliked:
-Caleb. How does a three thousand year old creature of the night manage to be so astoundingly stupid? He’s been alive for
Becky
I was sent a file version of this book to read by the author in exchange for an honest review.
Caitlin has spent most of her life moving from city to city with her mum and brother. Her brother has always been there for her, the only constant in their ever changing lives. When Caitlin starts a new school she meets Jonah, a sweet sensitive boy in a crowd of thugs and bullies. They start talking and become good friends. Until Caitlin feels herself beginning to change, with extreme strength and speed
Erika
3.5/5

When I was contacted by Morgan Rice asking if I’d review her book Turned I wasn’t immediately drawn to it. But then I began to look closer at the cover and description of the story and got just a little more drawn in. I liked the idea of reading a vampire story where the main character wasn’t changed into a vampire because she was bitten. You see, Caitlin isn’t a victim of a thirsty creature of the night nor a victim of some lonely heart who wants a new companion for all of eternity. Althou
Jennifer  Howell / Late Bloomer Online
At 150 pages, Turned doesn’t take long to get through, but it also doesn’t give you enough time to completely engage with the characters before leaving you in a cliff hanger. Caitlin’s Mom moves her and her brother Sam, again. Caitlin has lost track of the moves they’ve made and if she didn’t have her brother Sam she would lose her mind and probably just take off because their Mother leaves a lot to be desired in the parenting department. Caitlin is nervous to start at her new school yet again, ...more
Merve  Özcan
Have you read this series? 12 77 Apr 23, 2014 11:47AM
  • Saved (The Shadow Vampires, #1)
  • Shelter (Blood Haze, #1)
  • The Vampire's Warden (Undead in Brown County, #1)
  • Thirst (Ava Delaney, #1)
  • The Vampire from Hell: The Beginning (The Vampire from Hell, #1)
  • Sworn (Vampire Legends, #1)
  • Descended by Blood (Vampire Born, #1)
  • Bloody Little Secrets (Bloody Little Secrets #1)
  • Immortal Embrace (Embrace, #1)
  • Sunrise at Sunset (Sunset Vampire #1)
  • Dark Seeker (Seeker, #1)
  • The Legacy of Kilkenny (Legacy of Kilkenny, #1)
  • Vampire Love Story (Vampire Love Story, #1)
  • Afterlife (A Discovery of Vampires, #1)
  • Crossroads (Crossroads Academy, #1)
  • Hidden (Marchwood Vampires, #1)
  • Earth (Elemental, #1)
  • Savor (Warm Delicacy, #1)
Morgan is author of the #1 Bestselling THE SORCERER'S RING, a new epic fantasy series, currently comprising four books and counting, which has been translated into five languages.

Morgan Rice is also author of the #1 Bestselling THE VAMPIRE JOURNALS, a young adult series comprising eight books, which has been translated into six languages.

Morgan is also author of the #1 Bestselling THE VAMPIRE LEGA
More about Morgan Rice...

The Vampire Journals (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Loved (The Vampire Journals, #2)
  • Betrayed (The Vampire Journals, #3)
  • Destined (The Vampire Journals, #4)
  • Desired (The Vampire Journals #5)
  • Betrothed (The Vampire Journals, #6)
  • Vowed (The Vampire Journals, #7)
  • Found (The Vampire Journals, #8)
  • Resurrected (The Vampire Journals, #9)
  • Craved (The Vampire Journals #10)
  • Fated (The Vampire Journals, #11)
A Quest of Heroes (The Sorcerer's Ring, #1) A Feast of Dragons (The Sorcerer's Ring, #3) Loved (The Vampire Journals, #2) A March of Kings (The Sorcerer's Ring, #2) A Clash of Honor (The Sorcerer's Ring, #4)

“it physical To walk unbraced and suck up the humors Of the dank morning? What, is Brutus sick, And will he steal out of his wholesome bed To dare the vile contagion of the night?” --William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar” 1 likes
“Apretó su diario, lo único que la hacía sentir real. La había acompañado a todos los lugares. Lo usaba para hacer notas y dibujos en todos los sitios a donde iba; era el mapa de su niñez.” 0 likes