Start by marking “The Bridge Builder of Arta” as Want to Read:
The Bridge Builder of Arta

The Bridge Builder of Arta

A story about a mysterious statue.
Published 2010 by Neil Coghlan

To ask other readers questions about The Bridge Builder of Arta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bridge Builder of Arta

S.J.A. Turney
Jun 16, 2012 S.J.A. Turney rated it it was amazing
I am not a man often given to short stories. They have to be particularly good to work in my opinion. It is hard to tell a good tale in such few pages, and only really do ‘tales of the unexpected’ come out right. I have to admit to having downloaded this on my kindle when I discovered it for free, but the (lack of) price was not the only reason. There are thousands of free ebooks out there and most of them are dull. Three things drew me to ‘Arta’. As well as the price, the reviews were uniformly ...more
Gunnar
Aug 19, 2012 Gunnar rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, kindle-lendable
Writing and descriptions are lovely in this Amazon freebie, and the pacing is slow in that horror story sort of way. Didn't see precisely that resolution coming. The denouement was predictable, though that didn't detract from the story. Nicely done.
Eric Nixon
Oct 30, 2012 Eric Nixon rated it really liked it
Neat story. Feels like a Twilight Zone episode.
Sean Endress
Jun 08, 2013 Sean Endress rated it really liked it
Taken from my Amazon.com review.

Here Coghlan creates a fun, interesting little bite of a tale that holds attention for just as long as it needs to. Not exactly unforgettable, but it does make an impression that might leave you feeling a little chillier when you've closed the book - because it is a chilling tale.

The writing is mostly bare-bones, little detail goes into characterization or descriptors, and since it is a short story, that's quite alright. I'd have liked to know more about the main
Pop Bop
Jul 16, 2016 Pop Bop rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A Cleverly Framed Tale of Creeping Dread

This is a brief but satisfying tale that observes all of the best conventions of the creepy tale.

NO SPOILERS. We start with a note of sunny optimism as we meet our young hero. He discovers something of interest, which arouses his curiosity. As he investigates, the atmosphere of the tale grows darker. Foreshadowing, hints and portents begin to build, but we are powerless to warn the foolish man.

As is often the case, the author, (through the hero's investig
Lisa Cleveland
Aug 02, 2015 Lisa Cleveland rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this short story. Mr. Coghlans tales are always refreshing. A bit old fashioned sometimes, but that's what I enjoy most about his tales. He seems to also have an amazing way of getting me to see the land these characters are trodding on, and that may be my favorite thing of all. Yep, I'd recommend this story and author.
Ashley M
Dec 12, 2015 Ashley M rated it liked it
A chilling short story

At first, I didn't like the book because it was choppy and I felt like the story was a bunch of rambling. As the story develops, it gets better, moves quicker, and has intrigue. I did like the story after all. It's a haunting tale about a man and two statues that he finds.
Chris
Kindle freebie.

The story has a bit more telling than I usually like, but the use of mood is really well done.
Jasmine
Jul 31, 2014 Jasmine rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story - delightfully magical and creepy. I'm a bit confused as to the motivation of the title character, but it doesn't diminish my enjoyment of the story.
Arielle
Arielle rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2011
Laura rated it did not like it
Apr 21, 2015
Carla Evans
Carla Evans rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2014
Abby
Abby rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2012
David Butterworth
David Butterworth rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2015
Jackie
Jackie rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2011
Eloise
May 31, 2012 Eloise rated it did not like it
Awful. Very, very, very short story thankfully.
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2015
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2015
Kurt Beard
Kurt Beard rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2013
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2012
Sukhman Bains
Sukhman Bains rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2013
Jack
Jack rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2013
Alan Thomson
Alan Thomson rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Burke Burke
Burke Burke rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2011
Veronica
Veronica rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2012
Abbie
Abbie rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2014
Chester
Chester rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2015