Start by marking “One Man's Garden” as Want to Read:
One Man's Garden

One Man's Garden

In the sequel to The Essential Earthman, the Washington Post columnist offers a harvest of sharp observations and humorous adventures gathered during a year in his garden, along with much down-to-earth advice on horticulture.
Published April 14th 1999 by Mariner Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about One Man's Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Man's Garden

Shelly
Aug 04, 2013 Shelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A couple of years ago, I found Ruth Reichl and fell in love with her and read all of her memoirs. Reading this book produced a similar feeling; I am both deeply comforted that Henry Mitchell existed, and thrilled that I found his writing, which is exactly my favorite kind of cozy prose.

A quote: "It is true, to an extent no beginning gardener will believe, that the beautiful effects of the garden are those of light falling on wonderful masses and details that come by luck, just in the nature of t
Kristi
Mar 10, 2012 Kristi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In order to read this book, you must really, really love gardening. He'll go on about a particular flower for many-a-pages, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you love shooting the breeze and rambling on about the nuances of let's say: fish ponds or irises. What made it for me was his sense of humor, or what I perceived as humorous :) his strong opinions laced with wit, satire & a touch of sarcasm were delightful in the setting of a garden. It's not the kind of book I'd read twice, but w ...more
False Millennium
Mitchell used to write a gardening column for The Washington Post and his style is informed, witty and practical. The book uses the format of a full gardening year, each chapter representing each month, and since his garden was where mine is, many of his ideas (and failures) prove useful information to me. I know I've read this book before, but I'm glad I read it again. There is something to be said for reading gardening journals. There's an informality about them, and you usually feel like you ...more
Audrey Driscoll
Aug 17, 2013 Audrey Driscoll rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A second collection of garden essays by the inimitable Henry Mitchell, these arranged by month (a device often seen in garden writing). They range from humorous ("Before You Bring In The Plants, Make Sure Your Rugs Are Clean") to poignant ("Turn Down The Noise"). The latter rarely fails to move me to tears. Behind the wit and humour was a serious man and profound thinker -- truly an Earthman.
Elise
Oct 11, 2010 Elise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I guess if I can't be grubbing around in my own garden at this time of year, the next best thing is just to read about other's gardening experiences. The author was a columnist for the Washington Post for years and this is a collection of some of his columns. Very funny. Just the thing for morbid March weather.
Kate
Jan 18, 2010 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This and all Henry Mitchell's books are my favorite garden reading - not really how to books, but rather a collection of columns from the Washington Post in which he reflects on gardening and life, from the perspective of an enthusiastic, knowledgable, imperfect gardener.
Meryl
Nov 19, 2008 Meryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always love a good gardening book in the winter time. This one gave me a few fun ideas (every time he mentioned his pond I wondered how my little terrier would react to gold fish), but was a little flower centric for this veggie gardening girl.
David Ward
One Man’s Garden by Henry Mitchell (Houghton Miflin 1992)( 635.0). This is a collection of Mitchell's gardening columns. I love his garden writings – not so his other collected work. My rating: 6.5/10, finished 4/7/2012.
Angie
Nov 22, 2009 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2009
Not a book I would press on friends, but I was amazed at the breadth of his knowledge and loved his sense of humor. So many segments I wanted to read aloud for others to enjoy.
Amy L.
Nov 13, 2007 Amy L. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now this is a man who loves to garden. I apparently prefer to read about gardening. He inspires me, but not enough to go outside and water my plants when it's hot.
Jade Sanceri
Jade Sanceri rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Cynthia
Cynthia is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2016
Cathy
Cathy is currently reading it
Aug 02, 2016
Laurie Chipman
Laurie Chipman rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
Larry Elletson
Larry Elletson rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Joan
Joan marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Moniki
Moniki marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Sue Solomon
Sue Solomon rated it it was ok
Apr 02, 2016
Debra Grose
Debra Grose rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
Kirilov64
Kirilov64 marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Gail Sanders
Gail Sanders rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2016
Speechgrrl
Speechgrrl rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2016
James Golden
James Golden marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Karla Bledsoe
Karla Bledsoe marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Sita
Sita marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Mary Ellen Sanger
Mary Ellen Sanger marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Ophelia
Ophelia rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2016