Start by marking “Rome Antics” as Want to Read:
Rome Antics

Rome Antics

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  28 reviews
A pigeon carrying an important message takes the reader on a unique tour through Rome. As we follow the path of this somewhat wayward bird, we discover that Rome is a place where past and present live side by side. It is a city that has been recycling itself for two thousand years, but unlike a museum, Rome displays its remarkable history without respect for chronology. A ...more
Published October 27th 1997 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Rome Antics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rome Antics

The Making of a Knight by Patrick O'BrienLet's Explore a Castle by Nicholas HarrisThe Second Mrs. Gioconda by E.L. KonigsburgBeware, Princess Elizabeth by Carolyn MeyerMary, Bloody Mary by Carolyn Meyer
Year 2 of the 4 Year History Cycle - Grammar Stage
30th out of 81 books — 5 voters
Strega Nona by Tomie dePaolaBreakaway by Bryan  MurphyThe Thief Lord by Cornelia FunkeLinehan's Trip by Bryan  MurphyMurder By Suicide by Bryan  Murphy
Italy Italy
161st out of 176 books — 52 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristen Fort
Modern day Rome from a bird's eye view. Beautifully illustrated by Macaulay's black and white style, the bird gets a line of red color to follow her path in delivering a message.
Melissa
Not what I was expecting-more of a picture book about a pigeon flying around Rome...but might make an interesting references for a project on Rome. The last 4 pages describe the buildings in Rome and their significance.

"A pigeon carrying an important message takes the reader on a unique tour through Rome. As we follow the path of this somewhat wayward bird, we discover that Rome is a place where past and present live side by side. It is a city that has been recycling itself for two thousand year
Sweet on Books
This unique book will inspire a love of architecture, travel and history. Each drawing is marked with the name of the building or area it represents, so that readers will know where the pigeon is flying. For readers who want additional information, the sights are described in more detail in the back of the book. The detailed drawings, done in black and white, offer an alluring peek into the city of Rome. The only color, a sweeping red line, zooms and swirls across the pages, revealing the flight ...more
Jessalyn King
This was a really interesting take on Rome. Having recently visited it, I recognized a few of the buildings and piazzas, and learned a bit more about them (as well as some about places I didn't get to visit). I'm not sure what the age group intended for this book is... The story itself (the pigeon's eye view of Rome) is probably good for 2-6, but then the explanations at the back are much more 9-12... But it's good. I should get a copy as a Rome souvenir!
Debbie
I enjoyed Macaulay's early books when I was younger, so I picked up this one at my local library as I've never read it before. This was different from his books on how things are made. It's a pigeon flying through modern Rome, seeing the sights. Each building is marked with a name, so you can look in the back to see where it is on a map and then learn a little about the building or monument. Mildly entertaining, but I doubt I'll read it again.
Kadie
I loved the black and white illustrations in this book. The perspective of Rome was also very interesting and unexpected! Loved it
Tammie Soccio
A cleverly told tale of a rebel pigeon who is carrying an important message through Rome. Macaulay shows the sights of Rome though the pigeon's perspective. Instead of taking the most direct route as most pigeons take, this one decides to the scenic route. The illustrations are hand drawn in black and white with just the pigeons route in red. Macauly shows the true Rome with two thousand year old sites meshing seamlessly with the new. At the end it is left to the reader to interpret the importan ...more
Jason Mccue
Fun quick book with beautiful drawings that gives you a quick overview of Rome.
Cindy D
The story book, Rome Antics gives fictionist story to true facts about Rome. It represents its ancient structures of Rome and demonstrates the romanticizing of their culture. This book would be a great fun addition to the study of Rome. Fun book to read, nice for predicting next stop for the pigeon and last pages presents facts about the structures of Rome.
Yuki Shimmyo
This random find at Strand Books brings back wonderful memories of visiting Rome! In the last pages are a hand-drawn map following the pigeon's path, with places of interest numbered. The history and significance of each is explained in a paragraph. Seems like a fun way to introduce this amazing city to young ones.
Elizabeth Meadows
I can see how this book would delight children and adults alike if they had visited (or are going to visit) Rome. A homing pigeon serves as your tour guide of the ancient ruins within the hustle and bustle of modern Rome.
Atlantis
This is a cute introduction to different types of Roman architecture. The artist's drawings are very well done and there are detailed explanations of each one at the end of the book. Great for kids.
Alex Konieczny
Some of the best art of a picture book I've ever seen. Done completely in pen, it is amazing. Good way to pique interest in Italy's capital and the famous places therein as well.
Amy
re: Roman History.
Probably mostly a bit too subtle for B. unless you read all the info at the back (which we didn't) but still - such a unique perspective - worth a check out.
Amy
I enjoyed my reading journey with a messenger pigeon in this beautifully illustrated mix of non-fiction (historical places in Rome) with fiction (a pigeon's travels)!
Amber
After finding City a little to daunting to undertake we decided on Rome Antics instead. Very fun, the kids loved the drawings and the bird's eye view.
Patrick
I didn't liket this book as much of some of Macaulay's other books, but I think it will help get the kids excited about some of the stuff we will see in Rome.
Leslie
A pigeon's view of the eternal city. A sweet story with gorgeous drawings. Maybe it's not so bad to be a pigeon, if you can have this sort of day.
Julia
So so so so lovely! One of my favorite Italy books. And our pigeon friend flies right through the Palazzetto Cenci up into Macaulay's old room!
Ubalstecha
Whimsical story of a pigeon's flight through modern Day Rome. Lacks the nerdy fun of his books like Castle and Cathedral.
Hilary
Macaulay is so creative! I love all his books. This one is a view of Rome from a carrier pigeon's point-of-view. Very fun!
Teri
Super creative story of a pigeon's scenic route through Rome. Wish we recognized more of the architecture. Very fun book!
Robin
happened to see this at the library and then at a used book store. I'm enchanted.
Kim
Pigeon's eye view of Rome. Amazing perspectives and detailed drawings.
Maryann
Charming ride along with a pigeon as she flies by Rome's most famous monuments.
Nancy
we should get again before we go to Rome
Leia-Catherine
It was very clever, and sweat.
Heather
Beautiful artwork of Rome!
Andre Krause
Andre Krause marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Librarian Who Measured the Earth
  • Cleopatra
  • Jabutí the Tortoise: A Trickster Tale from the Amazon
  • Beautiful Warrior: The Legend of the Nun's Kung Fu
  • The Great Wall Of China
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Roman Gladiator! (You Wouldn't Want To)
  • The Last Quest of Gilgamesh (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #3)
  • Tales from Shakespeare
  • Traveling Man: The Journey of Ibn Battuta 1325-1354
  • The Gods and Goddesses of Olympus
  • Leonardo's Horse
  • Baboushka and the Three Kings
David Macaulay, born in 1946, was eleven when his parents moved from England to Bloomfield, New Jersey. He found himself having to adjust from an idyllic English childhood to life in a fast paced American city. During this time he began to draw seriously, and after graduating from high school he enrolled in the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD). After spending his fifth year at RISD in Rome on ...more
More about David Macaulay...
Black and White Castle The Way Things Work The New Way Things Work Cathedral: The Story of Its Construction