Start by marking “The Artful Garden: Creative Inspiration for Landscape Design” as Want to Read:
The Artful Garden: Creative Inspiration for Landscape Design

The Artful Garden: Creative Inspiration for Landscape Design

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  6 reviews
“I want to put the mystery back into the heart of garden design, where it needs to be. It’s what lures you in through the gate, keeps you moving through the landscape, and fills you with excitement along the way. The sense of mystery is what turns a mere display of plants, paths, and ornaments into an adventure.”
—James van Sweden

Guided by world-renowned landscape arc
Published February 1st 2011 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about The Artful Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Artful Garden

Candy
Having trouble making progress on this because there is always a cat in my lap when I get up and have coffee!
Today I did get to read some and laughed out loud at how the author made his point about too many plants in a garden.
You know how you get up every day and your garden is different from the day before? This author compares a garden to the performance of a dance- it's there and then it's gone, and you have to be present to witness it.
I have wondered if I imagine how many changes occur i
Jodi
In this book the author disucusses art such as painting, tapestries, music, and scultpure and how we can learn from them and be inspired by them in our garden design. Personally I enjoyed the sculpture section where he talks about negative and positive space. There were parts that I didn't really understand what he was talking about, I think it would be easier to understand if I was able to visit the garden examples he was talking about.
Jackson
Although the pictures are lovely and text reads well, it is a book made more for people with very large areas of land to landscape, so my paltry triangle felt inadequate ... maybe someday if we expand to take over the whole neighborhood or something .... but it IS lovely.
Ruth
Absolutely scrumptious read. If you can't get to a beautiful garden read about them! You will be stepping into the pages of perennials, quiet walks....
Darla
Describes using the processes of the fine arts (painting, sculpting, writing, dancing ....) as inspiration in landscape design.
Liz
Liz added it
Sep 26, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Tara Workman
Tara Workman marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Lee Siow
Lee Siow marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
nicholas
nicholas marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Barb
Barb is currently reading it
Jun 28, 2013
Kelsey Kothen
Kelsey Kothen marked it as to-read
May 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Both Sides of the Rainbow Santa Almost Missed Our Town Silver Surfer #36 (Volume 3) In the Land of the Blue Poppies Artful Garden: Creative Inspiration for Landscape Design