The Shackled Continent: Africa's Past, Present and Future. Robert Guest

The Shackled Continent: Africa's Past, Present and Future. Robert Guest

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  322 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Africa is the only continent to have grown poorer over the last three decades. Why? The Shackled Continent, Robert Guest's fascinating first book, seeks to diagnose the sickness that continues to hobble Africa's development. Using reportage, first hand experience and economic insight, Robert Guest takes us to the roots of the problems. Two fifths of African nations are at...more
Published June 1st 2005 by Pan Publishing (first published April 2nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Shackled Continent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shackled Continent

Akin
(sigh)

I wish I could like this book. I really do. The problem, for me, wasn't the tone or basic presumptions, which any number of self interested commentators described as neo-colonialist or patronising.

It's just that the arguments were pretty slight, often repetitive, and nowhere up to the analytical standard that one would expect of an 'Economist' journalist - perhaps this is an editing issue, because it seems that the book was marketed as mainstream rather than specialist (the cover reads 't...more
Cailin Deery
Robert Guest is the African correspondent for the Economist, and though he would normally be restricted by the Economist’s analytical viewpoint (which he describes as objective), the Shackled Continent is slanted towards his own views which are capitalist, neoliberal, reasoned, and occasionally offensive. The Shackled Continent looks at the economy, aid programs, and politics of sub-Saharan Africa between about the 1960s and the book’s publication in 2004.

I have mixed feelings about this one. O...more
Mitul Choksi
An excellent insight into the woes of Africa. The author does try to oversell capitalism as the only solution to Africa's problems. Although he sells it pretty well, he overdoes that part. But all in all, a good read.
Larbi
The Shackled Continent: Power, Corruption, and African Lives, by Robert Guest - former Africa editor for the Economist – is an exhaustive and lively book that tries to explain the reasons behind Africa’s poverty . It accounts for the hard economic situation in African and how to make it better « Africa- is in a bad way and this book is my attempt to explain why. » R. Guest. The author makes it clear from the beginning of the book that he means by Africa the sub-Saharan Africa, excluding the Arab...more
Kat
Overall I thought Guest did a pretty solid job of remaining objective--or as objective as a columnist for the Economist can get. The anecdotes were entertaining and proved most of his points very well. For the most part, his conclusions were fairly intuitive. His solvency recommendations for Africa (revolving around having competent leadership, readjusting how aid is dispersed, adjusting trade barriers, etc) were pragmatic and easily understandable, though just *how* these recommendations might...more
Elizabeth
I didn't expect to like this book as much as I did. But I felt like it was really well written, and held my interest very well. I'm pretty easily swayed when it comes to things like this, so all of Guest's analysis seems very logical to me. The main thing I took issue with was the fact that so much of what he prescribes for Africa is the opposite of what I believe in. Guest seems to think that capitalism is a must, that globalization and free trade are entirely positive, and that success must be...more
Steven Monroy
The Shackled Continent asks the all-important question about Africa; why is it the only continent that has grown poorer over the last 3 decades". Robert Guests applies his years of experience covering the continent for the Economist magazine and traveling throughout Africa. Though his opinions may be controversial with African governments and westerners alike, they do make a lot of sense.

It is a fact that Africa was carved up, ruled and exploited by colonial powers for centuries. There is no de...more
Mike Steinborn
A thought-provoking book by the Business Editor of The Economist who spent 7 years as The Economist's Africa correspondent. Although he concludes that a major cause of Africa's lack of progress since independence is that it's had and has more than its fair share of incompetent, impractical, and outright predatory leaders, he also identifies other causes which Africans and African countries have little or no control over, like geography, the AIDS epidemic, foreign trade barriers and subsidies, an...more
Jonathan
It's a non-technical book by the Africa editor of The Economist seeking to help answer the question: Why is Africa so poor?

Sub-Saharan Africa's poverty has become the central focus of development discussions in the popular press and amongst NGOs over the last year or so. As someone not very familiar with development literature specific to the continent, I found the book to be an excellent primer on Africa.

Given my greater familiarity with development literature generally, I found Guest to be at...more
Christine
This book validates a lot of my thoughts and experiences of living in Africa so overall I liked it. There were some bits that rankled me though as in the beginning of the book, he very clearly states that the Saharan States are not included in his analysis of the the Sub-Sahara countries he's familiar with and reports on, but every once in awhile he throws in Algeria to drive in a point. Then the other bit was calling Malawi a temperately located country on this list. As I've crossed the Tropic...more
Erin
Robert Guest is a former Africa editor for the Economist, and this book is based on his extensive travels and knowledge of the continent. His writing style is conversational and makes this book very easy to read. Guest looks at some of Africa's major problems with the eye of an economist, and his conclusions are both fascinating and accurate. Far from a dry book of economic principles applying to Africa, Guest uses anecdotes and examples to paint a picture of the real situation on the ground in...more
Alexandra Sundarsingh
A solid introduction to beginner's questions about Africa. Although it covers heavy topics, it manages to stay light and interesting. Worth the read, and a good primer for those who are intimidated about jumping into such a complex continent.
Millicent
Of course you work for the Economist! No other journal produces such standard dribble about Africa quite like the Economist. I read this when I was 19, and even then I could have done a better job writing about this vast, heterogeneous continent. Way to simplify it to corruption, pot-holes, AIDS, civil wars and poverty, and completely overlook the involvement of western corporations and NGOs like the World Bank and IMF. I just cant.
Caroline
This book is badly in need of some decent editing. There are repeated stories, and some that go nowhere. And a little rant about how great genetically-modified crops are, which is totally out of place in this book!
For all that, it's a very interesting (though slightly dated) look at what keeps Africa forever poor. I didn't find myself disagreeing with him very much. It's not a book with a happy ending, alas. The culture of violence and corruption that has kept Africa on its knees shows no sign o...more
Deepani
An overview of the reasons why Africa is poor, with several "case studies" to illustrate the point, including a chapter on Malawi which, to me, was useful. The overall thesis of the book is that the main reason why African countries are poor is because of bad governance in the many levels of government and it's affiliated organisations.
Guest's insights are good, his logic interesting, but his writing style is a bit off-putting in that it seems somewhat sensationalising and falsely inimating. On...more
Glenn
Mar 20, 2008 Glenn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Africa, developing nations, or humanity
An outstanding overview of why Africa is in the state it is today. Robert Guest has a clean, concise writing style which reflects the Economist writer he is, and does a fantastic job clearly connecting the dots of cause and effect, and offering solutions that work. His ideas are clearly laid out and draw on numerous examples from around the continent as well as a few more in-depth case studies. Ultimately something of a primer on modern-day Africa, but a fantastic starting point for anyone unfam...more
Jamie
I'm only a few chapters in but it's a great, easy read so far. The book blends its dialogue with the reader around one reporter's experiences while covering Africa and his personal advice to the leaders of the Western world on what is wrong with Subsaharan politics and why it is crippling the continent. I recommend it if you've ever said to yourself: I just don't understand why Africa is so poor, so violent, so inept or so "lazy."
Alex
Really solid look at the problems facing Africa. A tad bit preachy at times, but very solid research overall and a clear and concise writing style.
Katy
Guest is (or was) Africa editor for The Economist, and has spent loads of time in various countries around the continent. He provides several theories as to why so many countries in Africa are failing (besides colonialism), and gives examples of each (e.g. the "vampire" government, example is Zimbabwe). An interesting and accessible book, not a dry read of economics lessons.
Rushay Booysen
Economist writer Robert Guest seeks to outline why Africa remains the shackled continent and what hampers growth on this continent of mine.While a outsiders views are always to be questioned,i find Robert do point out some informative information.Understanding the full extent of this complex history takes alot of hours but i shall not discredit everything he wrote.
Stephanie
Despite the heavy material, this book is a smooth read and it provides an excellent overview of all of the issues Africa faces. He thoroughly tackles each issue (including corruption, AIDS, remnants of colonialization) and provides abundant references. An excellent book if you've ever wanted to know more about sub-Saharan Africa.
Nirav
A great survey of the problems of Africa, with a focus on economic development and corruption. But unlike many books on Africa and its problems, the author lays the blame for the continent's underdevelopment squarely at the feet of its corrupt leaders -- as opposed to colonialism, the World Bank, or western corporations.
Jen
Our friends in Africa lent us this book to read while we were there. It's structure is kind of repetitive - here's a problem, these are the (African) countries that suffer from it. Yet it's well-researched and was quite interesting to two people who knew very little about the continent before arriving there.
Mark
If you're interested in Africa, read this book. This book opened my eyes to Africa's current political situation. It answered the great question, "Why does Africa have so many problems?" And even more, it goes on to paint a picture of how things can be done to help it.
Clare
The first book I read about Africa and its problems, and still one of the best. This book doesn't pretend to be a comprehensive overview, but Guest picks out several examples that typify Africa today, and explains the past and future in light of those.
Maureen
where's the redemption? what a drag. bleak upon bleak. i'm glad i read it but this would not be in a top five list for a reading list for someone interested in learning more about africa.
Toni
I never knew much about Africa. Well it changed after reading this book. It gives a series of reasons why the origin of man kind still is far behind the rest of the world economically.
Vinod Menon
If you wanted to have a complete - from the streets kind of perspective of African nations this is the book. Incisive, passionate and Non-professorial.
Maja vujinovic
Very informative and one definitely needs to read another book simultaneously since this is very fact based so after 7 pages you get tired.
Werner J. Swart
Sobering read on the realities facing Africa. A must-read for those who are serious about working to make a difference in the continent.
  • I Didn't Do It for You: How the World Betrayed a Small African Nation
  • A Continent for the Taking: The Tragedy and Hope of Africa
  • You Can't Get Lost in Cape Town
  • Where We Have Hope: A Memoir of Zimbabwe
  • Tropical Gangsters: One Man's Experience with Development and Decadence in Deepest Africa
  • The Graves Are Not Yet Full
  • Africa: Altered States, Ordinary Miracles
  • Darfur: The Ambiguous Genocide
  • Ah But Your Land Is Beautiful
  • The Ponds of Kalambayi
  • Were You Born on the Wrong Continent?: How the European Model Can Help You Get a Life
  • Hitler's Beneficiaries: Plunder, Racial War, and the Nazi Welfare State
  • The Big Con: The True Story of How Washington Got Hoodwinked and Hijacked by Crackpot Economics
  • The Dragon's Gift: The Real Story of China in Africa
Borderless Economics: Chinese Sea Turtles, Indian Fridges and the New Fruits of Global Capitalism Afurika Kunō Suru Tairiku Trail north: A journey in words and pictures