Start by marking “Cesar's Rules: Your Way to Train a Well-Behaved Dog” as Want to Read:
Cesar's Rules: Your Way to Train a Well-Behaved Dog

Cesar's Rules: Your Way to Train a Well-Behaved Dog

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  668 ratings  ·  55 reviews
In 'Cesar's Rules', Cesar Millan gives you his key rules for dog training so you can finally eliminate problem behaviours. Packed with experience from Cesar's lengthy career working with dogs, this book will allow you to forge a new, more rewarding connection with your four-legged companion.
Published February 1st 2011 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Cesar's Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cesar's Rules

Joan Colby
Common sense advice by the Dog Whisperer. Millan takes on his critics, primarily those who advocate positive-only training and explains that much of their theories are ones he accepts and utilizes, as well as the more conventional types of training. He urges dog owners to be open to a variety of methods, rather than being advocates for one rigid system. He evaluates the various training ideologies and visits with some of the leading experts. He also differentiates between the rehabilitation of p...more
Chad
If you've read other Cesar Milan books, there's the usual amount of back story and self congratulation. This book differs from previous Dog Whisperer books in two ways. First, Cesar consults several other dog trainers about their methods and reasoning, even a few who have publicly disagreed with his training style. That made this book significantly richer. Second, instead of over-broad generalizations that make previous books frustrating, there are hands-on techniques described in such a way tha...more
Chris
Not a how-to guide, but a good look at the general principles of dog training. I like that he included various other schools of thought from other dog trainers, like Ian Dunbar.
Caroline Christoff
I am going to read it after I finish my current cesar book. He is probably the best dog trainer in the world!I recommend any book he wrote.I am excited to read it.
Tamar
My dog can now sit, lay down, and pee outside. Success.
Laurie
I always learn plenty from Cesar, and this book offered not only his particular advice on helping one's canine companions integrate happily with their human families, but also explored a variety of methodologies for 'training' one's dog. Two thumbs up for providing the sort of background info. that I thrive on, and for making the frequent distinction between teaching a dog "commands" or tricks and helping a dog to become a calm, confident, easy-going, and rewarding companion. Trust me, these are...more
Rob
Finally finished this after getting it some months ago; one thing it has convinced me is that I need to spend more time reading so I don't stay the slow reader I have become.

Millan's successful TV show has spawned a number of books and videos, and this one has the feel of something tossed off by the demand of his publisher, and/or perhaps fans of the show. Millan often disappears here and yields the stage to a melange of "experts" whom I fear he may not have particularly well vetted. That list i...more
Kat
First time reading Cesar Millan. I only know a little about him as I haven't watched any of the Dog Whisperer shows, only saw him for a guest appearance in an episode of Bones (and I'm not even sure if it really was him or another trainer), but I liked what little I knew of him and his methods.

I read the Kindle version of the book and while the formatting is good, when images are involved then the page breaks kind of doesn't work well - like a photo shows up without the caption (caption in the f...more
Kim
I wasn't quite expecting what this book delivered, but I wasn't disappointed with what I got out of it, either. As a review and history of dog training methodologies and beliefs through the ages, it was excellent. But it was also a discussion by Mr Millan on how he had integrated some of these methods into his own work and how he differentiated himself from them, as well. I think this was the most important reading point for me.

I've watched the Dog Whisperer on TV for a while now and you never...more
Ally Atherton

When I got Bailey, my Pug Cross, he wasn't very well behaved and he would always take me for a walk around the block. He had several issues including dog aggression mainly due to the fact that his previous owner kept him inside her house most of the time.I have been making a big effort to train him and that's why I read this book. I read another great book around Christmas ( Feisty Fido) which really helped and I would recommend that to anybody who has a dog aggressive dog.

To anyone who doesn't...more
Shayla
So I've read this book maybe 3 times now? Every time I do not only does it reinforce ideas already in my mind but I usually spot a new one as well. Cesar's teaching are all more of natural common sense...the type of common sense humans often forget along the way in their lives. He puts it down in an easy to understand form and provides plenty of examples. He also takes assistance and advice from other professionals, so you know you are not getting a completely one sides deal when you get this bo...more
Annette Balter
This is not really a "how-to" manual (which is what I need since it's my first dog experience), but the story of how he got started and the fact that he shares lots of different approaches is interesting, and somewhat helpful. I might need to try his other books...
Tim Weakley
For a book that calls itself "Cesar's Rules" I found this work to be more about the rules of other trainers, and not at all what I was looking for when I bought it. It made for an interesting read, but I was hoping for more discussion of basic training for dogs...not training as a discussion topic.
Lisa N
Being first-time puppy owners, we rushed out and got this book hoping for remedies. While interesting, this is not a quick-fix kind of book. I read most of this and sort of skimmed the rest. Good insights into dog psychology. Two principles I found particularly intriguing—

1. Think of your dog in four ways, in the correct order: animal, species dog, breed, name.

2. Rules for a balanced dog—(1) exercise, (2) discipline (rules, boundaries, and limitations), and (3) affection—in that order.

I was t...more
Jessica
Cesar Millan presents his own training philosophy alongside other experts in the field. It's a good overview with lots of resources that can help one decide what training method to use.
Shirly
Some excellent tips and anecdotes about dog raising. Now I know that I should have started reading books like this even before I adopted my dog - there is so much that I can do as his human that will make him calmer and happier, and therefore make me less crazy! Highly reccomended to anyone dealing with dogs. I especially liked the way he interviewed so many different dog experts, from different schools of thought, and each gave their personal beliefs and methods. I like that he believes you can...more
Clancy Metzger
Also super helpful and this one has a lot of tips/tricks and perspectives from other dog "trainers", so you get a broad view.
Judith
The most interesting aspect of this book is that the author interacts with many other dog & animal trainers and brings all of those experiences into the picture instead of just touting his own system. All of these trainers have completely different rules and modes of operation and Cesar is very respectful of the differences and obviously pleased at the similarities. I have two fairly well-behaved dogs and I just want to tweak a couple of things, so I am hopeful that the lessons I learned fro...more
Rachel
Excellent reference. Many popular training philosophies presented side by side.
Elena
No esta mal. Tiene algunos consejos interesantes que valen la pena, pero tal vez esperaba un poco mas
Gerri Leen
This is the first of Cesar's books that I can honestly say bored the living crap out of me. I finally had to give up when I found myself avoiding it. I'm not sure if he and his cowriter were just in over their heads tackling a topic this big or if this was just for the money and that lack of true motivation showed? If you've seen the Dog Whisperer, the first few examples are all too familiar. And there is so much theory but not very well presented. Skip this and go back to any of his books on do...more
Pam
Ceasar's "Way" involves dated techniques using choke chains, punishment, and intimidation to "be the boss" of your dog. That philosophy has led to many dogs being turned into shelters that could have been fine family pets had their owners not followed his advice. Check youtube for the "behind the scenes" videos of why his techniques work on the show. I'm embarrassed I checked this out from the library.
Tammy Mutka
I did not like this book nearly as much as I liked How to Raise the Perfect Dog. I did not feel that it flowed as nicely. I felt that topics jumped. There was a lot of information so that you could choose various methods of working with your dog. It was very informational and also had a lot of historical information. I might have scored it higher if I had not read the other book first.
I felt like it took a while to get to the main purpose of the book. By the time I did, it had to go back to the library, so I wasn't able to get the full benefit from the book. Maybe when the dog comes home I will check it out again... maybe. I did get a bit bored about reading a narrative of Cesar's life when I just want doggie tips.
Jenny
Starting with a puppy for the first time I didn't want to screw him up. I learned a lot, but the book was somewhat difficult to make myself read. I had to renew it a bunch of times from the library. But there was some useful information - I copied down some ideas to print out and insert in the books I refer to more.
Lindsay
A very quick and easy read. Includes some things that his earlier books didn't cover, but a lot of repeated information. Did enjoy how he took the input of other trainers, so I felt it was more comprehensive in that sense. Is good if you are just starting to train your dog, but isn't helpful for more complex commands.
Grey853
I enjoy watching the "dog whisperer" so I thought I'd check out one of his books. It was quick and easy, filled with common sense things that many people don't think about when it comes to dogs. I also liked the personal background he gives about his life and his relationships with his own dogs, especially Daddy.
Marcela
Excellent book with an amazing amount of ideas and suggestions that any pet parent can start practicing and applying with his/her own canine kid. The book also addressed tools that you can use when training a dog and all of them without exception when not being used properly can hurt a dog.
Kellie
Feb 02, 2012 Kellie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
OK, I love Cesar Millan. I couldn't wait to read this book & only got a little way into it when my adorable 7 month old puppy shredded it. Hardcover & all! Apparently she doesn't want to be a well-behaved dog. Haha... I can't wait to replace the book & get to finish it.
Dayne
With a new puppy, I need all the help I can get. I think Cesar has some very sound philosophy behind his rules. He is sometimes rough with completely out of control dogs on his show, but in the book he talks about normal dog problems. Mostly it's about training the trainer.
  • How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend: The Classic Manual for Dog Owners
  • How To Speak Dog: Mastering the Art of Dog-Human Communication
  • The Dog's Mind: Understanding Your Dog's Behavior
  • In a Dog's Heart: What Our Dogs Need, Want, and Deserve--and the Gifts We Can Expect in Return
  • The Power of Positive Dog Training
  • Before and After Getting Your Puppy: The Positive Approach to Raising a Happy, Healthy, and Well-Behaved Dog
  • Canine Body Language: A Photographic Guide Interpreting the Native Language of the Domestic Dog
  • How To Be The Leader Of The Pack...And Have Your Dog Love You For It. ("How To" Booklets From Dog's Best Friend)
  • 101 Dog Tricks: Step by Step Activities to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with Your Dog
  • The Social Lives of Dogs
  • The Dog Listener: Learn How to Communicate with Your Dog for Willing Cooperation
  • Shelter Dogs
  • Little Boy Blue: A Puppy's Rescue from Death Row and His Owner's Journey for Truth
  • Wallace: The Underdog Who Conquered a Sport, Saved a Marriage, and Championed Pit Bulls--One Flying Disc at a Time
  • Sophie: Dog Overboard
  • The Dog Who Loved Too Much: Tales, Treatments and the Psychology of Dogs
  • Pukka's Promise: The Quest for Longer-Lived Dogs
  • Think Like a Cat: How to Raise a Well-Adjusted Cat--Not a Sour Puss
Cesar Millan is a Mexican-American self-taught, professional dog trainer widely known for his television series The Dog Whisperer, now in its sixth season and broadcast in more than eighty countries worldwide, including the US, Canada, Australia, Spain, Chile, Macedonia, Italy and the UK.

Prior to The Dog Whisperer series, Millan had focused on rehabilitating especially aggressive dogs and had foun...more
More about Cesar Millan...
Cesar's Way: The Natural, Everyday Guide to Understanding and Correcting Common Dog Problems Be the Pack Leader: Use Cesar's Way to Transform Your Dog... and Your Life  How to Raise the Perfect Dog: Through Puppyhood and Beyond A Member of the Family Cesar Millan's Short Guide to a Happy Dog: 98 Essential Tips and Techniques