Start by marking “Point” as Want to Read:
Point

Point (Josh Cumberland #2)

A DEADLY NEW CRAZE HAS TAKEN HOLD.

What else is there when life has no point? In a Britain on the edge of collapse, there is a desperate new craze - a suicide cult made up of disaffected young people. They kill themselves in "cutter circles", loaded up with teenage cool and desolate dreams. For ex-Special Forces soldier Josh Cumberland, this is just the start of another de
Published February 3rd 2011 by Angry Robot (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Point, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Point

Paul
Jan 04, 2011 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's spreading. The suicide cults of kids barely through puberty. They kill themselves in Cutter Circles, brought together by 3g and desolate dreams. It's a virus. A plague. Who knows how to stop it? Find out who caused it. Find out who's in charge. Destroy them. Survive.

I knew nothing about Point by Thomas Blackthorne when it dropped through my letterbox. The publisher had asked for reviewers for some of their upcoming titles and there was another novel I was hoping to get my hands on. I was a
Joe Robles
Mar 29, 2012 Joe Robles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great bit of speculative sci-fi. I love the near-future world the author's created with both Point and Edge. I really love the way America plays into things. You could probably do a whole series of books on what's happening in America, but here it's only a side story (though it does affect the main story quite a bit).

I think that's a great metaphor for America in general. We think that what we do is so important (and it is, because our decisions effect the world at large), but to other countr
Schnaucl
Two and a half stars.

This is not at all what I expected from the cover or the back of the book, though of course that's not Mr. Blackthorne's fault.

The back of the book suggests a near future soft apocalypse style book. In reality, it's the second book in a series set in the near future which focuses primarily on an ex Ghost Force (elite British soldiers who are as good with computers as they are with combat) member and his hypnotherapist girlfriend (though her job title is slightly different).
Amanda
Mysterious cutter circles are showing up in the Britain of the future. Thirteen teenagers gather in a circle, then slice the wrist of the person next to them all the way around the circle. The MI5 recruits a neuroscientist to help figure out the circles before they reach epidemic proportions. Meanwhile, her boyfriend, Josh Cumberland, finds himself sucked back into his old special forces unit when a civilian job reaches a mysterious end. Are the two events connected?

I feel that this cover really
Remote
Oct 12, 2011 Remote rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
while i did enjoy point, it didn't really quite have the punch of the 1st volume - edge. together though they provide an interesting view of a near future UK. climate change in this volume has led to winter at the height of the summer and declaration of a 2nd christmas. more conspiracies here, attempts to change the political landscape, mixed with knife fights, drones, hacking, free running, and crickets as snack food. i think this character/setting has some mileage still in it.
Stacey Douglas
"Point" engaged me more than "Edge" (the first in this set) and I found the story more interesting. I truly kept reading to see what would happen next. But "Edge" set up all kinds of things without which this second book would be confusing and harder to follow. I'm truly looking forward to the next in this series - assuming there is one given the way this one ends. Three cheers to publisher Angry Robot and author Blackthorne.
Crusader
Feb 28, 2011 Crusader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-read
A fast paced, action filled read set in the near future. The plot has many interesting twists and turns with the two main characters exposing a nefarious plot that could cost them their lives. If you like Tom Clancy's Net Force or the Jason Bourne series you'll love this. Highly recommended!

Full review here
Ben Kessell
Sep 21, 2012 Ben Kessell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sequel to "Edge," not quite as powerful as it's predecessor but equally severe and paced just as well. This one finds Josh Cumberland questioning his newfound peace, in a world very much on the brink of chaos. Oh yeah, then he stabs santa in the throat and shit gets real.

10/9 Would Choke out Saint Nick again.
Ryan
Nov 29, 2010 Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not as riveting as Edge was for me but still a nice solid read, interesting character's and situations. The premise of the society behind the books is what really drives the story and makes it interesting and it seemed to have less focus in that area then the prior book.
Patrick
Mar 30, 2012 Patrick rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, did this one suck. The last time I bailed on a book as quick as I did this one was Twilight
Veach Glines
The author writes suspense fine. And we like the characters fine. But there is something missing.
Sam
Oct 01, 2011 Sam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kind of like an 80's action movie combined with a hypnotherapists wet dream. A lot of missed opportunities for for sausage based puns. I mean really... Josh Cumberland?
arjuna
Jun 03, 2011 arjuna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some very interesting ideas but a little undirected overall; gets bogged down in the combat scenes & the resolution lacks real punch. But enjoyable enough.
Ennta
Jan 18, 2013 Ennta rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Some nice dystopian world-building here, but the characters and plot are written in a messy, difficult-to-follow manner. There's potential in this series, but it's very rarely met.
Matt
Matt rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2015
Jordan Kelch
Jordan Kelch rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2015
Jake Isherwood
Jake Isherwood rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2012
Kim
Kim rated it it was ok
Jul 24, 2015
Amamur
Amamur rated it it was ok
Jun 13, 2011
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2016
Bonnie Boogaard
Bonnie Boogaard rated it liked it
May 04, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2012
Steve
Steve rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2015
R. Adrianus
R. Adrianus rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2011
David
David rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2011
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2013
Chris Mays
Chris Mays rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2014
David Cattarin
David Cattarin rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Jacob
Jacob rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Casey
Casey rated it it was ok
Jul 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Josh Cumberland (2 books)
  • Edge (Josh Cumberland, #1)