Start by marking “Point” as Want to Read:
Point
Preview

Point (Josh Cumberland #2)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A DEADLY NEW CRAZE HAS TAKEN HOLD.

What else is there when life has no point? In a Britain on the edge of collapse, there is a desperate new craze - a suicide cult made up of disaffected young people. They kill themselves in "cutter circles", loaded up with teenage cool and desolate dreams. For ex-Special Forces soldier Josh Cumberland, this is just the start of another de
Published February 3rd 2011 by Angry Robot (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Point, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Point

Paul
It's spreading. The suicide cults of kids barely through puberty. They kill themselves in Cutter Circles, brought together by 3g and desolate dreams. It's a virus. A plague. Who knows how to stop it? Find out who caused it. Find out who's in charge. Destroy them. Survive.

I knew nothing about Point by Thomas Blackthorne when it dropped through my letterbox. The publisher had asked for reviewers for some of their upcoming titles and there was another novel I was hoping to get my hands on. I was a
Amanda
Mysterious cutter circles are showing up in the Britain of the future. Thirteen teenagers gather in a circle, then slice the wrist of the person next to them all the way around the circle. The MI5 recruits a neuroscientist to help figure out the circles before they reach epidemic proportions. Meanwhile, her boyfriend, Josh Cumberland, finds himself sucked back into his old special forces unit when a civilian job reaches a mysterious end. Are the two events connected?

I feel that this cover really
Schnaucl
Two and a half stars.

This is not at all what I expected from the cover or the back of the book, though of course that's not Mr. Blackthorne's fault.

The back of the book suggests a near future soft apocalypse style book. In reality, it's the second book in a series set in the near future which focuses primarily on an ex Ghost Force (elite British soldiers who are as good with computers as they are with combat) member and his hypnotherapist girlfriend (though her job title is slightly different).
Joe Robles
A great bit of speculative sci-fi. I love the near-future world the author's created with both Point and Edge. I really love the way America plays into things. You could probably do a whole series of books on what's happening in America, but here it's only a side story (though it does affect the main story quite a bit).

I think that's a great metaphor for America in general. We think that what we do is so important (and it is, because our decisions effect the world at large), but to other countr
Remote
while i did enjoy point, it didn't really quite have the punch of the 1st volume - edge. together though they provide an interesting view of a near future UK. climate change in this volume has led to winter at the height of the summer and declaration of a 2nd christmas. more conspiracies here, attempts to change the political landscape, mixed with knife fights, drones, hacking, free running, and crickets as snack food. i think this character/setting has some mileage still in it.
Stacey Douglas
"Point" engaged me more than "Edge" (the first in this set) and I found the story more interesting. I truly kept reading to see what would happen next. But "Edge" set up all kinds of things without which this second book would be confusing and harder to follow. I'm truly looking forward to the next in this series - assuming there is one given the way this one ends. Three cheers to publisher Angry Robot and author Blackthorne.
Crusader
A fast paced, action filled read set in the near future. The plot has many interesting twists and turns with the two main characters exposing a nefarious plot that could cost them their lives. If you like Tom Clancy's Net Force or the Jason Bourne series you'll love this. Highly recommended!

Full review here
Ben Kessell
The sequel to "Edge," not quite as powerful as it's predecessor but equally severe and paced just as well. This one finds Josh Cumberland questioning his newfound peace, in a world very much on the brink of chaos. Oh yeah, then he stabs santa in the throat and shit gets real.

10/9 Would Choke out Saint Nick again.
Ryan
Not as riveting as Edge was for me but still a nice solid read, interesting character's and situations. The premise of the society behind the books is what really drives the story and makes it interesting and it seemed to have less focus in that area then the prior book.
Megatherium
Wow, did this one suck. The last time I bailed on a book as quick as I did this one was Twilight
Ennta
Some nice dystopian world-building here, but the characters and plot are written in a messy, difficult-to-follow manner. There's potential in this series, but it's very rarely met.
Sam
Kind of like an 80's action movie combined with a hypnotherapists wet dream. A lot of missed opportunities for for sausage based puns. I mean really... Josh Cumberland?
arjuna
Some very interesting ideas but a little undirected overall; gets bogged down in the combat scenes & the resolution lacks real punch. But enjoyable enough.
Veach Glines
The author writes suspense fine. And we like the characters fine. But there is something missing.
crashmstr
Nice follow-up to Edge. Similar structure and pacing.
Stuart Reid
Stuart Reid marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Steve
Steve added it
Mar 05, 2015
Nicola
Nicola marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Noise Book
Noise Book marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Foley
Foley added it
Jan 01, 2015
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Hannah M.
Hannah M. marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Josh Cumberland (2 books)
  • Edge (Josh Cumberland, #1)
Edge (Josh Cumberland, #1) Point (A Josh Cumberland Novel)