Second World War: Milestones to Disaster (Audio CD)

Second World War: Milestones to Disaster (Audio CD)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Churchill’s history of World War II is, and will remain, the definitive work. This is Churchill’s own abridgement of his original six-volume history.
MP3 CD
Published February 2011 (first published April 23rd 2002)

Chris Walker
Churchill's six volume history of the Second World War sat on my parents' bookshelves for decades and now sit on mine, unopened. I was therefore grateful to see that BBC Audio has produced Churchill's abridged history (four volumes rather than six) on CD, narrated by an actor with a passable immitation of Churchill's speaking style. Churchill himself said: "History will be kind to me for I intend to write it" and it is with this in mind that you need to approach these books. Nevertheless, it is...more
Ross
This is the horrible story of the events leading to the start of the war.
Reread some 50 years later, still 4 stars. Riveting history by the most important figure in the war. I am going through this series again to revisit the evils and follies of nations. The errors of judgement by the European politicians and military were both unspeakable and unbelievable. On the side of evil on the one hand and blind pacifism on the other.
Churchill does attach more share of the blame to the U.S. than can rea...more
Jeff Yoak
I'm going to come back to this. It both requires more attention than my bits of time while commuting allow and could use some more background on the history of the war before I start. I love the writing style and the information is excellent, but I need an overview of the history before I can appreciate this first-hand account. It is too much written as commentary on what everyone must have known when it was written for me to be able to get all I should from it.
Nate
Churchill was not only a key figure in the 20th Century, but also an avid writer. His work is easy to read, but clearly a personal account. This work is particularly helpful in understanding British perceptions of Europe prior to the outbreak of WWII. Filled with unique accounts of Churchill's personal encouters with key European political figures this work should be balanced by an objective historical record, and possibly a similar work from the Axis point of view.

I would recommend this book f...more
Craig
A well written account of events in Europe from 1919 through 1940 which led to the rise in power of Nazisim in Germany and the resultant World War. Churchill focuses mainly on the collective thinking and actions (or inaction) of the British ruling leaders (Baldwin, Chamberlain, Eaton - and Churchill himself). He cites certain points in time and actions not taken (but should have been taken) which could have prevented Hitler and Nazism from coming to power, thus preventing the war. This is a firs...more
R. August
I started this because of the movie "The Gathering Storm" about Churchill prior to becoming First Lord of the Admiralty, specifically because of the language used in Churchill's speeches - the flow of "proper English." Hoping to encounter more of the same I came to this series and was no disappointed. I've enjoyed the formal British English of this almost as much as the content, though Churchill writes assuming an already established knowledge of names and places, many of which, never having car...more
John Martindale
Churchill talks about what lead to WWII and its something else to learn how the war could have likely been prevented if Britain and France did not so aggressively seek the dis-armament of their own nations, while they allowed Germany to break the treaty and build up their army to alarming rates. They cut out their own claws and thus the mouse (Germany) came out and had free reign. And then as Mussolini and Hitler started invading other countries, they kept striving for peace at all cost and it a...more
Kendar88
Really good insight into what happened before WW2. A ton of information. I gave it 4 stars because it was hard for me to digest it all in the car for an audiobook. Definitely recommend for reading.

The book mixed facts with Winston's thoughts and perceptions. I enjoyed the parts where Winston spoke in the first person best.

This is just the first book in the series. This book covers all the events that lead up to WW2. Perfect if you've ever wondered how they let Germany build up its forces after t...more
Paul
This is the first of a set of four books Winston Churchill wrote, documenting WWII and his involvement. It is a fantastic read from a historical sense, but even more amazing is the perspective he provides on the political disaster that precipitated WWII. A dry historical textbook on the same accounts would not have nearly the drama and feeling that comes through from his own accounts of political figures, generals, English leaders and evil powers. I can't wait to read the second volume.
Johnsergeant
10 hrs and 42 mins

Narrated by Christian Rodska

Publisher's Summary

Churchill's history of the Second World War is, and will remain, the definitive work. Lucid, dramatic, remarkable for its breadth and sweep and for its sense of personal involvement, it is universally acknowledged as a magnificent reconstruction.
Tim Thomas
Thus Spake Sir Winston Churchill himself -- a wonderful follow on to Defender of the Realm, Vol 3 of Paul Reed and William Manchester's masterful biography. So I set out to read all 4 voklumes of Churchills own WWII history. Marvelously verbose, articulate, and the quality of writing - superb
David
Can't get a better account of WW2 than from the pen of Churchill... As he says in the book, he was probably the only person in the world to have held a high level office in both world wars. It's amazing that there were so many opportunities missed to stop the war before it began...
Nathan Collier
Wow. This should seriously be required for every high school student. This is volume one of a four volume set. Masterfully written, and, in the Audible version I listened to, brilliantly read. I'm on to book two already.
Alan Housley
I have always loved storeys about WWII. Simply put, this is by far the best one. Churchill has a flow of authenticity most others somehow lack, and his words are riviting. I loved this book.
Tim Jin
I bought this book on sale and I should had bought it sooner. I'm looking forward of listening to the next book in a few and hope to finish the series by summer/fall.
Teresa
Jan 26, 2013 Teresa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: war
Utterly gripping! Even though I knew what was going to happen, I found myself holding my breath and hoping a different choice would be made.
Joao Trindade
Amazing book with the view (not impartial) of Winston Churchill of the coming of the Second World War. Extremely well written and captivating.
David Hurst
How did he write such books? Was running the country at a most difficult time not achievement enough?
Christiana Mouzouri
Dec 10, 2012 Christiana Mouzouri is currently reading it

I got it as an audiobook. In plain words is just amazing. I m just at the beginning but I love it.
Jim
Fascinating perspective from a giant in history.
Tammy
talk about an author's voice!!
Dorrit
Did on audio and it was so interesting!
Brian Woodard
Exhaustive and enlightening read.
Jera Gunther
Winston Churchill is great.
Richard Fraser
Richard Fraser marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Jeanne Tharp
Jeanne Tharp marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Miikka Sohlman
Miikka Sohlman marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill, KG, OM, CH, TD, FRS, PC (Can) was a British politician who served as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945, and again from 1951 to 1955. A noted statesman, orator and strategist, Churchill was also an officer in the British Army. A prolific author, he won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1953 for his own historical writings, "for his mastery...more
More about Winston Churchill...
The Gathering Storm (The Second World War, #1) Their Finest Hour (The Second World War, #2) The Second World War My Early Life, 1874-1904 The Birth of Britain (A History of the English Speaking Peoples, #1)