Goldie Locks Has Chicken Pox

Goldie Locks has
chicken pox;
from head to toe
were polka dots....

When Goldie Locks spies her first spot, her mother knows it must be chicken pox. Soon after, a steady stream of storybook favorites -- including the Three Bears and Little Bo Peep -- stop by to wish Goldie Locks a speedy recovery. But how will Goldie get well when her little brother just won't stop teasing...more
Published April 1st 2005 by Aladdin (first published 2002)

Kathryn
I loved Wakiyama's illustrations in The Best Pet of All and found this book after I searched for more of her work in my library. The cover illustration is certainly adorable and has the same retro look that I loved in "Best Pet" but overall I wasn't quite as fond of the illustrations in "Goldie Locks"--a few of the expressions just didn't seem as winsome and I was perplexed at the placement of the barrettes in Goldie's hair (I thought they looked a bit like devil horns, though that didn't make a...more
myKCmom
I loved Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes as a girl, and I loved them even more when I discovered as a grad student (studying Cognitive Development) the benefits of rhyme and the important role rhymes play in reading fundamentals! In fact my daughter's room was completely done in Mother Goose thanks to Mary Engelbreit and some great nostalgic pieces I found... So I cannot even begin to describe my enthusiasm when I stumbled upon this book, but so often we find something we think will be amazing only t...more
Tina
I just read this book to my son and I think I enjoyed it more than he did.

The story in cute, told in an easy rhyme with many references to other fairy-tale/Mother Goose-ish characters. However what did it for me are the illustrations.

The look and feel are very retro fifties with a dash of wit. While Little Red (just Little Red, no Riding hood, thank you very much) comes skipping by to ask "Can Goldie come to Gran's with me?/I sure would like the company." We see the Bid Bad peeking cheekily thro...more
Natalie
Several nursery rhyme/fairy tale characters make cameos in this story of a little girl plagued not only by chicken pox, but her pesky little brother as well. The illustrations are a most striking element. They have a very 1950's everything is wonderful in Donna Reed's kitchen feel, with Goldie, last name: Locks, seemingly inspired by the Coppertone girl.

This book is a great conversation piece to get kids talking, recalling their own experience with chicken pox or just to point out all of the ch...more
Anna Summers
In the book, Goldie Locks Has Chicken Pox, Goldie is at home recovering from chicken pox when her fairy tale and nursery rhyme friends, like Henny Penny, Mama Bear, and Bo Peep, stop by to visit her. Throughout the book, Goldie’s brother teases her about having the chicken pox, and at the end of the book, he notices a few red spots on his own face. What a clever idea to include some classic characters in one story! The rhyming text makes it catchy and fun to read. I like how Goldie’s brother lov...more
Connie
Poor Goldie Locks. She has chicken pox.

We rhyme our way through the large cast of Mother Goose figures and one annoying baby brother (who, after being so annoying to his sister, including playing connect-the-dots on her face, eventually gets sick himself, a just desert if I ever saw one!)

Cute, retro illustrations and nice rhymes. I'm not as thrilled with the book as my nieces are, but they like it enough to justify giving it the fourth star.
Lena
Cute as can be! I love it, Red Riding Hood and Bo Peep wanted Goldie to come out and play and she could not. Then her brother was a pest! Need to read this one!
Margie
Charming author who is just as lively in person. A fun book!
Kfooshee
Such a fun book with awesome retro illustrations!
Eva Leger
Aug 02, 2010 Eva Leger rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Eva by: library
Shelves: julias-books
I didn't read this with Julia but I did overhear my Mother, Julia's Oma, reading it to her. I wasn't exactly paying attention and it could be that my Mom has extra special reading-to-kids skills but it sounded quite nice.
Rhyming books usually can always jump to the front of the line with me.
Julia says she liked when the brother wanted some of the girls ice cream and she didn't like the "Little Red Riding Hood" part.
I may reread this with her myself so I can add my input. If we do read this ou...more
Ashley

Dealey, Erin, and Hanako Wakiyama. Goldie Locks Has Chicken Pox. New York: Atheneum for Young Readers, 2002. Print.
Genre: Children’s Picture book (Rhyming)
Goldie Locks has Chicken Pox by Erin Dealey is fractured fairy tale of Goldie Locks and The Three Bear. In this adaptation Goldie Locks gets the chicken pox and soon many fairy tale favorites are stopping in to check on her. This story is told in rhyme that carries out a steady rhythm throughout the book. The beautiful illustrations drawn, Ha...more
Jen
I really enjoyed this story. :) Fun pictures and fun rhymes sure make for fun times! :) I think this is a great gift to any child who has - or had - the chicken pox. I'll have to remember it when my nieces catch it, as I'm sure they will.
Beverly
Cute, retro illustrations a la the Campbell soup kids of yesteryear.
Jan
A cute rhyming story about Goldie Locks when she comes down with chicken pox. Plenty of funny twists and clever rhymes, but the subject matter is becoming less familiar. Although when the book was first published in 2002, chicken pox was still pretty common, it has become less and less so now that most kids are immunized. Soon, writing a children's story about chicken pox will be like writing a children's story about measles. Children will recognize the name of the disease because of the immuniz...more
Alyce Dougan
I thought this book was great for children. It's about Goldie Locks (which most children are familiar with) and she has the chicken pox! The story includes other characters that children will recognize like Little Bo Peep and Little Red Riding Hood. All throughout the story her little brother is teasing her for having the chicken pox... but guess who get them at the end! Children will love this story because its fun, has familiar characters, and it rhymes!
Dayna
This book is quite clever. The illustrations are something set in the 50's I believe with a little bit of a modern flare. The story is about Goldie Locks who has come down with the chicken pox. As she is recuperating we see visitors from other classic children's tales. The book flows page to page with a nice rhyming text. The main plot being that Goldie's little brother is tormenting Goldie because of her spots. He even offers to connect her dots.
jacky
Apr 30, 2009 jacky rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preschoolers, primary schoolers
Shelves: picture-books
A classmate brought this book in as part of her Literacy History presentation on her daughters. I liked how different fairy tale / nursery rhyme characters showed up throughout the story. However, to fully enjoy the story, children who read it need to have a solid base in these classic stories. There were clever things happening in the illustrations as well. The end had some nice foreshadowing from which kids could make a prediction.
Rena`
May 22, 2008 Rena` rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: little kids that like fairytale characters
Recommended to Rena` by: my grade teacher
this book is oh so cute little goldie locks has chicken poxs and cant have vists from her frineds little rididng hood and little bo peep it so nice and her little brother is always borhtering her and making fun of her but at the end she is making fun ofher little brother because he ends up with the chicken pox for being a little pest and for being anround his older sister when she had the chicken pox.
Rana
Goldie Locks got the chicken pox! A very sweet story about how annoying siblings can be when one is sick. For math one could cound the number of chicken pox spots Goldie Locks has on her face and make shapes out of them. This would also be a good book to use to discuss what happens when we're sick and how we take care of ourselves in different ways when we are sick from different things.
Cynthia
Oct 16, 2008 Cynthia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fairy tale lovers
This story is written in verse. Lots of fairy tale and nursery rhyme characters pass through, including The Three Bears, Little Bo Peep, and Jack Be Nimble. When Goldilocks get chicken pox.her brother torments her...until he winds up with them, too.The retro style of the illustrations (by Hanako Wakiyama) really give this book a great look.
Hilary
Goldie Locks has chicken pox -- but she didn't get them from the Bears, since bears can't get chicken pox. A full cast of fairy tale friends drops by to visit, and the question of who gave her the pox soon becomes how to keep others from sharing her condition.

Goldie's unsympathetic brother will soon have a dose of his own medicine!
Ronster
Children's picture book, fractured fairy tale and poem. Goldie locks comes down with the Chicken Pox. She is miserable because of the pox, but also because of her pesky brother. Fun poem, lots of humor. Good illustrations. Use for an entertaining read aloud in the classroom and put in the class library. Compare with other fractured tales.
Valerie
We checked this out at the library and our whole family fell in love with it. None of us want to return it so I think we'll have to buy our own copy. It's a cute rhyming story that includes many favorite children's characters and the retro illustrations are charming.
Saurabh
afasfasfs
Hanna
This was sort of a bland children's book, in my opinion. Nothing too excited happened within the plot. However, I do think this would be a great read for a child who has experienced the chicken pox or knows someone who has.
Tabl
Mar 29, 2012 Tabl added it
Very cute story. Great to use in the classroom..../ox/ word family, rhyming words, characters, illustrations lend to discussion of "long ago/now" -(record player, kitchen tools, phone with cord, etc..).
Rima Halig
The stuggles of Goldie Locks when she gets the chicken pox, such a cute concept. Her brother doesnt any make it any better but starts to worry when it looks like he has the same spots on his face
Edna
While she is getting more and more spots, Goldie Locks younger brother pesters her and other storybook characters make appearances.
the Reeds
A wonderful little book beautiful artwork. My little ones loved the appearances of Little Bo Peep, Red Riding Hood and others.
Rob
  • The Animal Boogie PB w CD (Sing Along With Fred Penner)
  • Dinosaurumpus
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • I Know a Rhino
  • The Elephant and the Bad Baby
  • My Little Sister Ate One Hare
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat (Picture Puffin)
  • Ten In The Den
  • Whatever
  • Waking Beauty
  • The Wheels on the Bus
  • Vote for Duck
I write in many genres, from board books to YA. DECK THE WALLS, my new pb, is out--just in time for the holidays.

My picture books with Atheneum/S&S, GOLDIE LOCKS HAS CHICKEN POX, and LITTLE BO PEEP CAN’T GET TO SLEEP have taken me to school visits as far south as Brazil and as far north as Tok, Alaska.I'm a Language Arts/ theater teacher with decades of classroom experience and head the theat...more
More about Erin Dealey...
Deck the Walls: A Wacky Christmas Carol Little Bo Peep Can't Get to Sleep