Start by marking “The Accidental Bride: A Romantic Comedy” as Want to Read:
The Accidental Bride: A Romantic Comedy

The Accidental Bride: A Romantic Comedy

2.69 of 5 stars 2.69  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  25 reviews
With just one month to go before her fairy tale wedding to the third richest man in the second largest city in Ohio, Lily Blair is suddenly beset by doubts. Even though she appears to have it all - a budding career and a five-carat engagement ring from the man of her dreams - she can't decide whether to plunge headfirst into the security of married suburban life, or follow...more
Published June 8th 2000 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published June 8th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Accidental Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Accidental Bride

Jessica
Better-than-average entry in the beach read category, in which a bright young newspaper reporter returns to her home city in Ohio, where she enters into a whirlwind romance with the man of her dreams -- only to find on the verge of her wedding that she would rather just live with him in NYC and pursue her career. The stakes aren't all that high (after all, she doesn't have to choose between anything here; her biggest dilemma is whether to tell him before or after he gets back to town following a...more
Darlene
A bit of fluff...and a bit dated. Bought this one from Amazon.com's used book site.
It attracted me because the protagonist refers to Jane Austen as the plot unfolds.
This was a somewhat humorous tale with a few unpredictable twists and a satisfying ending.
I read this at the same time as a dear friend in a long-distance book club we purposely formed in an effort to stay in touch and discuss things we'd both read.
Sara
kept waiting for it to get really good. a bit overly wordy. does that make sense?
Michelle Cristiani
I liked this one! It was about a bride but wasn't dumbed-down as many wedding-themed novels are, and had lots of wit and literary references. Harayda is clearly enamoured with Jane Austen, who I respect as a writer but am not giddy over like a lot of women are. I got a real education on what a literary genius Austen was, but I knew that already anyway, in a vague sort of way.
The tone of this book is summed up by the quote "he just thinks that the right person can make the wrong place right, wher...more
Ashley (Loves Books)
While I did find this book cute, I didn't find it nearly as "comical" as the tagline said; and oddly, I found myself extremely turned off by the main character. Every other character was likable (even Buck, the overbearing, tacky future-father-in-law), whereas the main character seemed a bit rude and even snobby to me. I understand having to build the character and establish who she is and what she stands for, but oftentimes the descriptions of New York City and the small Ohio town and differing...more
Eileen
I thought this was laugh out loud funny. Like all romantic comedies, it was somewhat predictable, but well-written. Pure humorous escapism. I rated it highly for that very reason. No great literature but fun!
Carolyn Alleyne
This is a really cute story of two people who are right for each other but meet at the wrong time. That is a common theme in real life but how we handle it proves what we're made of. In this case, our protaganist knows all over her being she doesn't want to get married, but she gets swept up in the preparations and her mother's overbearing insistence that it's a good idea. How many of us has that happened to??? But one way or the other, we always have to face the reality that if it's not time, i...more
Alicia
I didn't get this book - totally unappealing main character struggling with foolish problems.
Lori Anderson
I got seriously sick of the Jane Austen, as well as the author's self-congratulatory literary comments throughout the book -- I felt like the author was trying to show off a degree in Literature to the Unwashed. The ending was incredibly stupid -- not at all what I expected, and utterly disappointing. The reason for 3 stars and not 1 star was because it wasn't completely awful -- I did like to see how Jerry Springer-esque her views of her in-laws and family could get.
Patty Corwin
Cute story of a young woman in the those of wedding plans. Only problem is she doesn't want to get married. She feels she doesn't know the man that well and wants time to be certain. As frivolous as the premise sounds, I can relate to her feelings. Often the event of marriage takes a life of its own, with others planning the details, and the bride is left out. It's everyone else's dream wedding but it hers. I enjoyed the book a great deal.
Histteach24
Poke me in the eye-it would be less painful than reading this book. No depth, no original storyline, no original ending -maybe?
I'm not sure the title even matches the story...
Lily was annoying. The entire book was filled with snobby, bratty wealthy women complaining while riding on a tacky soap opera storyline....
Sue
Cute. Lily Blair moves from NY back to home in Ohio. Meets Mark - great catch - and gets engaged. She hates the city but everyone else thinks its great. She doesn't want to get married. They don't and just live together in NYC.
Ash
It was too outdated and too many references to Jane Austen books and films that I've never seen (because again, it's old). It was mediocre. The ending was the only good part about the book. I didn't find the main character very endearing.
Iulia
Jackie
Cute, quick read - good beach book - and for anyone who has ever planned a wedding with an overbearing mother or mother in law, you'll get a chuckle out of the antics in this book.
Rebecca
A bit hard to get into. The story line was interesting. The ending stunk. The lack of moral values was this books biggest down fall. Had it morals, I would have rated it higher.
Cecily
I put this one down after a few chapters. The story did not hold my interest, and I did not find Lily engaging enough (pun intended) to want to find out what happened to her.
Judy
Diverting novel about the resistance of a young woman to go the traditional route, and marry the prefect man in the perfect wedding. Charming enough, but predictable.
Micah
This book had funny moments, but it never really drew me in. I never really cared about the characters and after awhile, I was just trudging through it to be done.
Stephanie
I wasn't sure if I was going to finish this one or not. Had a lot of references that I didn't get but I read it all. I'm glad I did. I really liked the ending.
Carolyn Wojtera
Just okay. I was looking for Emily Giffin style book and this was not it. Still, nice way to pass a summer day. :)
Ladyredlight007
This was an ok read. I wasn't drawn to any of the characters. Not terrible not great.
Rfsisk Sisk
it was an ok "time taker"
Rosalea
not much to say. didn't like its typical storyline and typical writing style. never felt connected to the characters and didn't really get to know them. blah. it's a light, fast read.
Annaliese Mclean
Annaliese Mclean marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Unknown
Unknown marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Janet
Janet added it
Aug 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Manhattan on the Rocks The Joy Of Being Single: Stop Putting Your Life On Hold And Start Living!