Start by marking “The Hunting of the Snark” as Want to Read:
The Hunting of the Snark

The Hunting of the Snark

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,550 Ratings  ·  230 Reviews
Ever since Lewis Carroll's nonsense epic appeared in 1876 readers have joined his ten-man Snark-hunting crew and pursued the search with great enthusiasm. What are they hunting for? What is the Snark? Numerous theories have been proposed. Carroll himself provides a helpful Preface to the poem and is recorded as having explained to one reader: 'In answer to your question, " ...more
Paperback, Penguin Classics, 126 pages
Published 1995 by Penguin Books (first published March 29th 1876)

Manny
"You must read this book!" the Reviewer cried,
As he searched for a suitable rhyme
But as long as he stole more than half of the words
He was sure he would get there in time.

The rest of this review is available elsewhere (the location cannot be given for Goodreads policy reasons)
Mark
Jan 09, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who smile easily
Another book I picked up at the Tate last week in Liverpool. More of the Tove Jansson nostalgic illustrations and a beautiful edition which sat happily in my hands last night as I read it aloud in bed. Thank God i live alone. The wonderful tumble of Carroll's rythmic pulsing verse is such fun to burble out and some of the verses made me smile out loud

'He thought of his childhood, left far far behind-
That blissful and innocent state-
The sound so exactly recalled to his mind
A pencil that squeaks o
Florencia
Well, I gave TV a chance today. However, I found Titanic, Terminator 3, reality shows and other stuff, so, those aren't real options for me. I have no sitcoms to watch right now. Although, I'm kind of tired of watching the same sitcoms/tv series all the time. There's nothing new now. Once Upon a Time is on, so that's a good background sound. What to do on a Saturday afternoon? Yes. Let's find something out of the ordinary to read. And what did I find? A brilliant, typical Carroll nonsense poem. ...more
Neva
Feb 04, 2015 Neva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Те го будеха с кифлички, будеха с лед,
те го будеха с мед и горчица,
те го будеха с троскот и мъдър съвет -
и с числа в непонятна редица..."

Едно най-хубавите неща, които някога съм чела. Когато много умен и начетен човек разказва дивотии с ноншалантен вид и имаме късмета да го преведе много умен и начетен човек, положението става неудържимо радостно. Да не говорим ако цели двама много умни и вещи илюстратори са се погрижили да е интересно и за окото.

Като най-доброто от "Монти Пайтън", но в чисто
Mahendra Singh
Great poem but the illustrator is a debauched, discombubulated fool whose asemic scribblings and ink-blottings cannot stand up to even the most puerile graphical ravings of a den of opium-besotted thuggees, or even the currently uber-hip artiste visually polluting the cover of the New Yorker. Which ever one's worst, that's the one that this artist is worserer than.

Frankly, I think there's something funny about the whole business and I wouldn't be surprised if there's prison time and/or stiff fin
Libby
Jan 25, 2012 Libby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars for both content, Lewis Carroll's sublimely weird nonsense epic about an ill-fated hunting mission by a group of bizarre characters, and edition, which contains Martin Gardner's playfully brilliant introduction, extensive annotations, and appendices. Carroll says of his eight fits of Snarkdom that there is no real symbolism- the Snark is just a Snark. Or more precisely, a Boojum. Numerous scholars have pooh-poohed this, arguing that no Victorian writer can understand how he is influen ...more
Petya Kokudeva
Dec 26, 2013 Petya Kokudeva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Сигурно има много начини да се влюбиш в нонсенса (и по-точно в nonsense verse-a), но моят беше през Едуард Лиър, Огдън Наш и Луис Карол - именно с The Hunting of the Snark. Толкова причудлива сплав от искрен смях и ненатраплив, самоироничен смисъл рядко се среща. Но да не се отплесвам. "На лов за Снарк" на български е истинско пиршество! Майсторски преведена откъм ритъм и стъпка, безукорна в римите (а на места изобилства от тях, има и вътрешноредови даже).

Кристин Димитрова, преводач; Владимир Т
Keith
Jul 18, 2015 Keith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is the epitome of nonsense verse and the measure by which I compare all others. The verse is beautifully and nimbly handled without sacrificing the humor or the nonsense.

My version has Martin Gardner's annotations which are helpful, but not necessary. Nonsense isn't supposed to make sense!

I highly recommend this book for adults, children, and pets. It is one of my favorite books that I've re-read several dozen times.

(Added note: Boris Karloff has an excellent reading of this that is avail
Denz
Nov 13, 2015 Denz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, поезия
обяснителните бележки! <3
марш всички да гугълвате портманто думи, луискароловизми и Kofferwörter!
Fran
Mar 19, 2015 Fran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, verse
Just did a dramatic reading of this for my cat. As you do. She curled up and went to sleep. Compliment?

I absolutely adore this poem, and when this edition caught my eye on the shelf while doing some tidying I felt it was time for another reading. I'd love to record this to video someday, so I consider reading it aloud for my cat as rehearsal. Yeah.
Жор
Jul 17, 2014 Жор rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Да се чете в пияно състояние. Тъкмо поради това не мога да напиша нищо смислено в момента.
Fran
Jul 09, 2014 Fran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, verse
Perfection between two hard boards.

This edition is superb. The surreal illustrations of Mahendra Singh are beautiful and just perfect for Snark. The references to other Carroll works, other fiction, artists (Henry Holiday's original illustrations in particular), and goodness knows what else (I couldn't possibly have caught every reference) are amazing and will keep you coming back to this edition time after time. I'm quite sure you'd spot something new each time you read it. The visual jokes th
Svetlozara Kabaktchieva
Прекрасно преживяване е този стихотворен "нонсенс". Ако обаче сте сериозен човек и не обичате безсмислици (тук изведнъж се сетих за бизнесмена от "Малкия принц", който обича да брои звездите, за да ги притежава), хич и не си губете времето с тази мъничка книжка. Ако обаче обичате това, което не е знайно какво е, радвате се на начина, по който думите се наплитат, можете да се смеете на истински смешни неща, значи сте готови за експедицията за търсенето на Снарк. Смятам, че истинското харесване на ...more
Nathan
Probably my favorite poem to date. This so intrigued me that I returned for a reread the same day.

Much longer than "Jabberwocky," this "Agony in Eight Fits" (as Carroll calls it) is an adventurous, mysterious, brain-tugging story of a sailing crew which sets to find a Snark (whatever it is):

"They sought it with thimbles, they sought it with care; / They pursued it with forks and hope, / They threatened its life with a railway-share; / They charmed it with smiles and soap."

The theme is dark and w
Amy (Other Amy)
He had bought a large map representing the sea,
Without the least vestige of land;
And the crew were much pleased when they found it to be
A map they could all understand.

The map, of course, is blank. Much of this poem is absence, but where The Jabberwocky fills absence with vague nonsense that somehow expands to suggest a world of dread, the story of the snark simply isn't, until it is, and that was not enough to carry the thing for me. However, this is a fun read, and as I'm turning it over I fin
Greg
Jul 15, 2014 Greg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best, and certainly the only, nonsense epic poem I've ever read. Found this at Lit. Fest in Chicago, only $8. A steal. I infer that an annotated version of anything is based on scholarly research, so it's funny to me that such a sensical approach was taken to analyze something so nonsensical. But hey, what's more nonsensical than that? It is insightful though, with the illumination of his portmanteau terms, late 19th century vernacular, and such. Did I mention I love this poem? It is hilario ...more
Sem
Oct 15, 2015 Sem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In which a Hemulen and other residents of Moominvalley venture in quest of a Snark -- but only if you read the edition with Tove Jansson's illustrations.
Мартин Касабов
На лов за Снарк: http://izumen.blogspot.com/2014/10/bl...

Препоръчвам книгата, но не на всеки, разбира се. Това е специфично четиво, нонсенс литература - тренировка за любителите на езика и неговите странности. Ние останалите ще се задоволим с кикотене и бутилка ром.

Цялото ревю: http://izumen.blogspot.com/2014/10/bl...
Gustav
Apr 06, 2013 Gustav rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"They sought it with thimbles, they sought it with care;
They pursued it with forks and hope;
They threatened its life with a railway-share;
They charmed it with smiles and soap.

Simply put, Mr. Carroll at his finest.
One of the greatest works of nonsense ever.
Bookmaniac70
May 07, 2014 Bookmaniac70 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Брилянтен превод на Кристин Димитрова, с оригиналните илюстрации на Хенри Холидей. Безупречно издание във всяко едно отношение.

Повече - на сайта "Аз чета".
Kaethe
Jul 14, 2014 Kaethe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not this particular edition (which is cooler than the first one I read). I c9ollected various Carroll editions, so actually, I don't know which one I fell in love with first.
Albena
Mar 01, 2015 Albena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ще я науча наизуст и ще ви преследвам с нея.

Изключително добър превод. Ювелирен.
Stephan
Oct 05, 2015 Stephan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Underbart galet, vansinnigt och outgrundligt!

Översättaren måste verkligen ha lagt i en extra växel för att lyckas översätta det här konstverket. Historien om kaptenen som ger sig ut, med sin udda besättning, för att finna den mystiska Snarken är en studie i galenskap och jag, som älskar nonsenshumor, ler mig genom hela berättelsen.

Jag saknar lite att den inte känns fullt så gammal som den egentligen är. Att översättaren lägger in uttryck som lagbok.com eller EU-bidrag i verserna gör att den känn
Isil
May 26, 2010 Isil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La chasse au Snark est une pépite. Pourtant, même si j’adore l’absurde britannique, lire ce poème me faisait peur. Je suis une lectrice de poésie très médiocre alors avec le côté délirant de Carroll, je craignais de ne rien comprendre et de m’ennuyer. Pour être honnête, je crois que je n’y ai pas compris grand-chose et c’est peut-être aussi la preuve que je ne sais pas lire parce que si Carroll a voulu dire quelque chose ou faire passer un message à travers son texte, je suis passée totalement ...more
Jon
Jul 19, 2012 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A recent episode of Inspector Lewis on PBS had numerous references to this nonsense poem, and I realized I hadn't read it since junior high. I decided if I was going to re-read it at all, I'd get the annotated version from the library. It's not as good as the Annotated Alice, but I'm grateful for a few of the notes. One was on the stanza:

He was thoughtful and grave--but the orders he gave
Were enough to bewilder a crew.
When he cried, "Steer to starboard, but keep her head larboard!"
What on earth
Ron Ratchford
Dec 03, 2013 Ron Ratchford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read a particular edition of the book and it is not listed among the books on Goodreads' shelf. The one I read was an 1981 edition with a section of the book dedicated to the editing and the original publication of the book. I found the entire book fascinating. The book is in sections and the numbers of the chapters are specific. The man was a math major for heaven sakes.
The story is of a voyage to a place where snarks may be hunted. The passengers on the ship are individuals whose occupation
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
I'm not a poetry person. I went through an emo phase in my teens in which I loooooved poetry, but now, I just don't get it. In fact, I can't really understand what the poem is saying unless I read it out loud. Which is pretty awkward when you're home alone, reading to no one.

However, this was weird, but cute. Quirky, maybe?

I read this as part of my 2016 Reading Challenge: A book of Poetry
Dan
Nov 17, 2015 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
It's a silly but enjoyable absurdist poem. The edition we'd read had some amazing illustration that I think really captured the feel of the poem. I just wish it was a wee bit longer. I feel like this was somewhat of a satire, most likely lampooning specific events, people or customs of the time. I'd like to read a literary analysis of this to better understand the meaning of some parts of this poem. Better than 3 stars, but not quite four, whatever that means.
Radi Radev
Jun 04, 2014 Radi Radev rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Един велик писател беше казал, че за деца се пише като за възрастни, само че по-трудно.
Такава е и поемата на Луис Карол, в която и децата и възрастните с много смях ще ловят Снарк, но дори и осмината джентълмени не знаят как, кога и къде да го търсят.
Какво е Снарк - мечта, проблем или стоглавото животно - живот, в който всеки трябва да се държи като ловец, като борец, който трябва да се бори за да оцелява.
Е, трудно е когато адмиралът на кораба не различава бушприт от рул, но така е и в живота, н
Rebecca McNutt
May 01, 2016 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, poetry
Quirky and clever, this poem book by the author of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is imaginative and odd, truly a classic. :)
Lewis Carrol : The Hunting of the Snark 6 8 Dec 16, 2014 09:49AM
A Lifetime's Read...: The Hunting of the Snark and What Alice Found There 2 11 Dec 06, 2014 07:06AM
  • The Complete Verse and Other Nonsense
  • The Magic Fishbone
  • The Selected Poems
  • The Bat-Poet
  • The Annotated Hans Christian Andersen
  • Appley Dapply's Nursery Rhymes (World of Beatrix Potter)
  • Moomin: The Complete Tove Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 5
  • Immortal Poems of the English Language
  • Selected Poems and Letters
  • Selected Poems and Two Plays
  • A House of Pomegranates
The Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known by the pen name Lewis Carroll, was an English author, mathematician, logician, Anglican clergyman and photographer.

His most famous writings are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking-Glass as well as the poems "The Hunting of the Snark" and "Jabberwocky", all considered to be within the genre of literary nonsense.

Oxfo
More about Lewis Carroll...

“For the snark was a boojum, you see.” 13 likes
“This was charming, no doubt; but they shortly found out That the Captain they trusted so well Had only one notion for crossing the ocean, And that was to tingle his bell.” 7 likes