Start by marking “Dragon's Oath (House of Night Novellas, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dragon's Oath (House of Night Novellas, #1)

Dragon's Oath (House of Night Novellas #1)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  17,356 Ratings  ·  869 Reviews

The first in an enthralling new mini-series of novellas from the #1 bestselling authors of the House of Night, Dragon’s Oath tells the story behind the House of Night’s formidable fencing instructor – the love that will transform him, and the promise that will haunt him

In early 19th century England, long before he’s a professor at the Tulsa House of Night, Bryan La

Published July 12th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon's Oath, please sign up.

Reona Wright For any future references. They should be read in between the series.
The FledglingHandbook 101 should be read after Burned
Dragon's Oath should be…more
For any future references. They should be read in between the series.
The FledglingHandbook 101 should be read after Burned
Dragon's Oath should be read after Awakened
Lenobia's Vow should be read after Destined
Neferet's Curse should be read after Hidden
And the Kalona's Fall should be read after Revealed(less)

Anne
First, let me say that I hate the House of Night series. So, if you look at it that way, a 2 star rating really isn't that bad. Still. It wasn't good.

For those of you who have read the HON books, this is Dragon and Anastasia's story. For those of you who haven't read the series...lucky you.

It's got all of the usual House of Night mumbo-jumbo in it. It reads like a wiccan coca-cola commercial. If the whole world could just get together and hold hands, then everything will be ok! Whatever.

I know
CαthεεBooks
Sep 30, 2011 CαthεεBooks rated it really liked it
Recommended to CαthεεBooks by: Stephanie (Bookfever.♥)
Come by my blog, Forever Lost in Books, for MORE reviews, giveaways, interviews and memes!

My (High!) Opinion : So, this is the first book in the House of Night Novellas series, which is a story set in the the Cast's House of Night world, which is awesome.

First, let me say I really like the HoN (House of Night) series by the Casts. And i was really excited when my library contacted me to say this book had arrived in my account. I almost screamed. Okay, maybe not, but I was really happy. I had rea
Maria Mercedes The Oracle Reviews
I've been looking forward to this novella for a while now. Dragon Lankford was my favorite of Zoe's instructors. I always knew there was more to him than beat the eye. This is the story of how he came to be a vampire & how he fell in love with his Anastasia. The mother daughter team tie the modern day story line in perfectly. it is truely a great read!
Selin
Oct 09, 2011 Selin rated it it was amazing
Güzeldi ve ben bu kitabın daha çok pc cast tarfından yazıldığını düşünüyorum...
Uslubu iyiydi,hikayeyide sevdim değişik bir havası vardı ve yazarların önceki kitaplarndaki gibi saçmalıklar ve sırf sayfa sayısı artsın diye yapılmış şişirmeler yoktu. Ancak yinede ikilinin çabuk aşık olduklarını ve ejderhanın bir anda değiştiğini düşünüyorum...
Sonunun iyi bitmesini isterdim,mutlaka okunması gerekmez ama gece evinden daha güzeldi kesinlikle,zoey artık baydı...
Annie
Jul 20, 2011 Annie rated it it was ok
The following disclaimers apply to the following review: I've never read anything by either author, I have no idea what series this book belonged too and therefore read it as more of a stand-alone novel, and I won this as a Goodreads First Read.

I've read worse. At least this was relatively short- though not short enough.
All I could think about was the term 'fluffy bunny,' which is a "pejorative expression used since at least 2001 in Wicca (and in Neopaganism generally) to refer to adherents of t
Donna {Book Passion for Life}
I’ve always been a fan of the House of Night series so I was looking forward to reading more about another character. Admittedly when I found out this book was Dragon’s story, I was a bit hesitant but I actually really enjoyed his story. With this novella only being 160 pages, I flew through the book and found I enjoyed Dragon’s story a lot more because it didn’t drag. It was a nice short and simple read and just what I needed.

Dragon for me has always been a likeable character and after losing
Jessica Williamson
Apr 06, 2011 Jessica Williamson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this novella. It was just plain beautiful. The present time parts are absolutely heartbreaking but learning the story behind Dragon and Anastasia was truly a gift from the authors.
Lissa Notreallywolf
Mar 28, 2012 Lissa Notreallywolf rated it did not like it
hayden

Seriously. How awesome-looking is that?!

Now, for the review. . . .

DRAGON'S OATH took me exactly 28 minutes and 17.5 seconds to read. That's it. No joke. I timed myself. That being said, there's not a whole lot of new and exciting content. It almost seemed like a short story to me, one with a lot of really extended, unnecessary detail.

The first chapter and the epilogue were in present-day HoN, and chapters two through eight were back when Dragon was Marked
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
A quick read but an enjoyable book.
Both characters Bryan aka Dragon and Anastasia are strong headed characters but with the darkness looking to destroy them both I wonder if Dragon will be strong enough to ward off evil and protect Anastasia too or will he have to make a choice? I guess I will have to continue to see.
Cait (Paper Fury)
Oh...what was this? Just, seriously what was this??

description

I also have the next 3 in this series to read for review so...help me. I'm probably going to headdesk consistently and maybe even cry a little.

The short of it is: this is a tiny book with zero character development and a heap of telling instead of showing. I won't lie. I'm partial to being shown things. Instead, I get told "Here is a character who is mean and jerky and arrogant BUT WAIT! JUST KIDDING. He's a real sweetie." What? No. For starte
Teresa
4 Stars

I never really connected with Bryan "Dragon" Lankford in the full length novels, he seems distant, cold and more then a little aloof.
Except ,of course, to Anastasia.

Then I read this novella and I saw him in a whole new light.

While at the beginning he is an arrogant, spoiled son of an English Earl, that soon changes. As his world comes crashing down, he finds out the hard way that he is not near as important as he thought he was.

Anastasia was a Quaker until she was Marked by Nyx. A c
Lala
Oct 26, 2011 Lala rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: HON fans!
Shelves: series, fantasy
"Oh!" She breathed a long, awestruck breath. "They are so beautiful." With a trembling hand, she reached out and traced the new tattoos of the fully Changed vampyre beside her. "What are they? What do they look like?" he asked. "Dragons," she said. "They look exactly like dragons."

Cute. I enjoyed this very short little glimpse into the younger Bryan “Dragon” Lankford. As well as glimpsing Bryan we get to see Anastasia and how they came to be together. It was a very sweet little tale. I would hav
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥
*Short review for a short book*

Very predictable. We have a Quaker girl who is very young, especially by vampire standards, who really wants to make sure her students understand she is in charge. We have Dragon, which is a player for sure, since he was kicked out by his father for not keeping it in his pants, he gets marked. Then he becomes a sword master, which makes sense since he just gets by on that and has no real smarts to him. Everyone is obsessed with him, including males, so the Quaker/
Claire
Jun 16, 2011 Claire rated it liked it
Good read, provided an interesting look at Dragon's past and character and why he is the way he is. Didnt really pull me in like the other books but it was a good insight into a character.
Tessa Vanden broeck
Fun extra with the HoN series!
Yasmin
This was actually kind of cute and nice. Not great, but just nice enough for 3 stars.
Becky (Blogs of a Bookaholic)
Jul 11, 2014 Becky (Blogs of a Bookaholic) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the House of Night books and Dragon's charcter.
description
This review was originally published on Blogs of a Bookaholic.

A worthwhile addition to the House of Night series: fun, romantic and ultimately satisfying.
Although I was a little nervous about returning to this series after such a long break from it, Dragon has always been my favourite House of Night teacher (of the martial art fencing) so I was interested in finding out more of his back story. For me personally, the most important element of a novella like this is that it enriches your enjoyment
Liz
Apr 03, 2013 Liz rated it liked it
Let me preface this review, like my other recent reviews of this series, by stating that I decided to re-read the books before I read Hidden. I'm doing this for a few reasons, one is that I can't remember a lot of the things that happened in previous books, because I haven't read them in a long while, and two, to avoid the confusion I felt when I read Destined. I have realized as I read this novella for the first time, (I hadn't bothered before, since supposedly you don't need to read it to be f ...more
Esra
Aug 07, 2011 Esra rated it it was amazing
"Remember, your oath was to temper strength with mercy.
No matter how long apart we shall be, I hold you to that oath
eternally… eternally…"

Dragonun yemini buydu . Kitap günümüzden ,jack'in cenaze ateşinin etrafından başlıyor. Dragon anastasia'nın madalyonunu cebinden çıkarıyor ve onun içindeki saç tutamının aleve uçması sonucu anastasia'nın ölmeden önce yaptığı büyü devreye giriyor. ejderhaya yeminini hatırlatıyor ama ejderhanın ruhunun kurtulması için artık çok geç. İsyan eden ejderha geçmişi ha
Fangs for the Fantasy
Mar 09, 2016 Fangs for the Fantasy rated it it was ok
There is something absolutely wonderful about a short story from the House of Night series – it doesn’t have enough room or enough people to be nearly as awful as the main series. Yes, this book hereby gets the prize for being the first House of Night book that I DON’T think will inspire an invading alien species to wipe us out because the universe needs to be spared our bullshit.

This makes the book good in comparison to the series – but not good.

As I say with every short story as part of a seri
Connie
Source: I own this book.
Cost: Unknown

Title: Dragon's Oath
Series: House of Night Novellas #1
Authors: PC and Kristen Cast
Overall Rating: 3 stars

This novella followed the life of Dragon Lankford and how he met Anastasia, his mate, and it's a truly nice story. Dragon and Anastasia were the only couple I think I actually liked in this series, and I mean there are a lot of couples to choose from. (Gives Zoey the side eye.)

I like how this explored how Dragon helped release Kalona, something I
Jill Furedy
Jul 15, 2011 Jill Furedy rated it it was ok
Well, at least it was a fast read. Reading the first chapter, I was horrified by the writing. Why does Dragon's father have to tell his own son "I have four sons, two older two younger than you". Dragon knows that, they are his brothers...find another way to fill us in. Then Dragon is moaning and gnashing his teeth by the pyre, also just as an obnoxiosly blantant way to fill us in. Once we go back in time though, it got better. I was quite aware that PC Cast wasn't the best writer, but she tells ...more
Xyra
Jan 31, 2011 Xyra rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: YA, fantasy, vampire, House of Night readers
Oh. My. Gosh! I LOVED this book! It brought tears to my eyes and made me love Dragon Lankford so much. It also sprinkled a bit of a House of Night reread bug; however, I'm lending my collection to a friend so that will have to wait. Of course, there is the increased desire to have Destined released sooner now too. :D

The Cast's know how to write. I could feel the love blooming and strengthening throughout the book. That, of course, was bittersweet.

Learning that Anastasia was from my home state wa
Josie
Jul 10, 2011 Josie rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this novella through the Goodreads First-Reads giveaway program.

I am unfamiliar with the House of Night series, and this book did not inspire me to seek out the rest of it in the slightest. The combination of a superficial sense of "history" in the setting, plus the laughable magic system, topped off with a trite and shallow relationship between the two protagonists had me damn near not finishing the thing. And I'm not one to never finish a book. The length was its only saving grace
Angie (Mind Malfunction)
Feb 13, 2012 Angie (Mind Malfunction) rated it did not like it
Dragon's Oath is a short story in the House of Night Series by PC Cast. I'm not sure why I continue reading this series. The series plot is obvious and poorly written. The HON follows Zoey, her friends, and those from the House of Night. This short story is about Dragon and Anastasia. The character background didn't appeal to me. Of course, if you're a huge HON fan, than you'll probably enjoy this. When I read the HON series, I hope for an atom bomb to land on the House of Night and the Depot wi ...more
Cherie
Apr 24, 2012 Cherie rated it it was ok
Let me start by saying that I enjoy the House of Night series dearly. So I was glad to see a novella on the background of Dragon Lankford. And the book serves that purpose. Sadly, besides doing that and a interesting element with a creature in the book I really didn't find this book that great.

Dragon and Anastasia are just not interesting enough to me to carry a novella. Which makes me glad their not main characters in the main series.

If you enjoy House of Night and want to know all about the c
Stacie
Jun 16, 2011 Stacie marked it as to-read
Ive been a fan of the House of Night series since its debut. I am obsessed with P.C. and Kristen Cast's ability to write a novel that traps the reader into their world. I was so grief stricken by Anastasias death that it led me to wonder more about the professors back story. Im ready to find out. I feel so connected to this world due to the complex web of love and mystery. Keeps me coming back more eager then the last time.
Jenn
I really enjoyed this book, much more than I thought I was going to. It was interesting to see Dragon before he was a Warrior and to see how he met and fell in love with Anastasia (which was super cute!). Great plot twist with adding Kalona in, loved how that ties into the books now. Good, quick read.
Rayne
This one is not bad. It's actually okay. I was going to give it 2 stars, but considering the fact that this is a companion for the House of Night series and is, in fact, a million times better than all of the books in the series combined and that, for the first time in, what? 10 books altogether?, the Cast duo proves they can actually write something, I say it deserves that extra star.
YA Buddy Readers'...: House of Night Novellas by P.C. Cast & Kristin Cast ---- Start Date: March 24, 2016 37 9 Mar 26, 2016 03:25AM
SOS: Serious Over...: Can you add the picture to this listing ? 3 16 Jun 14, 2014 07:54AM
Love the cover 10 37 Jan 29, 2014 03:55PM
<3 House of Night...: Dragon's Oath 15 33 Sep 15, 2013 03:14AM
Book Discussions ...: * Dragon's Oath 1 3 Mar 11, 2013 03:59PM
  • The Asylum (The Vampire Diaries: Stefan's Diaries, #5)
  • Keys to the Repository (Blue Bloods, #4.5)
  • Balthazar (Evernight, #5)
  • Black Dawn (The Morganville Vampires, #12)
  • Thirst No. 5: The Sacred Veil (Thirst, #5)
  • Soul Bound (Blood Coven Vampire, #7)
  • Cryptic Cravings (Vampire Kisses, #8)
  • Shimmer (Riley Bloom, #2)
  • Changeling (Sweep, #8)
  • Frostbite: The Graphic Novel (Vampire Academy: The Graphic Novel, #2)
  • Blessed (Tantalize, #3)
  • Damned (Crusade, #2)
  • Old Habits (Wicked Lovely, #2.6)
PC was born in the Midwest, and grew up being shuttled back-and-forth between Illinois and Oklahoma, which is where she fell in love with Quarter Horses and mythology (at about the same time). After high school, she joined the United States Air Force and began public speaking and writing. After her tour in the USAF, she taught high school for 15 years before retiring to write full time. PC is a #1 ...more
More about P.C. Cast...

House of Night Novellas (4 books)
  • Lenobia's Vow (House of Night Novellas, #2)
  • Neferet's Curse (House of Night Novellas, #3)
  • Kalona's Fall (House of Night Novellas, #4)

“I've bespelled this locket, for you; my own, my mate. The day has come when death forced us to part. You must know that I for you, forever, I shall wait. So until we meet again I hold your love safely within my heart.
Remember, your oath was to temper strength with mercy. No matter how long apart we shall be, I hold you to that oath
eternally... eternally...”
34 likes
“You make me sound like an arrogant ass," he said.
"Are you?"