Start by marking “Clan Rathskeller (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Clan Rathskeller (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #0.5)

Clan Rathskeller (The Iron Druid Chronicles 0.5)

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  3,789 Ratings  ·  195 Reviews
This is a free short story that takes place ten months before the events of "Hounded", the first book in the Iron Druid Chronicles, coming 2011 from Del Rey.

ebook, Short story, 18 pages
Published December 2010

To ask other readers questions about Clan Rathskeller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clan Rathskeller

Lyn
Mar 08, 2016 Lyn rated it liked it
Kevin Hearne, you had me at hello. This was my first expeeince with the Iron Druid series.

In July 2014, my family and I took a weeklong trip to Ireland. We visited Dublin, Blarney Castle, Killarney, Castle Bunratty ,the cliffs of Moher, and Galway. We had a wonderful time. For a lifetime I have been interested by all things Gaelic and Celtic and so this tour only heightened my fascination.

And then you created a series of stories about a 21-century-old Irish druid who cavorts with various superna
Werner
Mar 06, 2013 Werner rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Urban fantasy/supernatural fiction fans
Recommended to Werner by: My Goodreads friend Jim
On reflection, I reduced my rating to four stars because, while I did really like this short story, calling it "amazing" would be a stretch; I need to be less prodigal with my five-star ratings. But four-and-a-half would be a fair measure, because I did find this a truly good read.

As the short Goodreads description indicates, this is a sort of prequel to the author's Iron Druid series, written after the first novel, but set earlier and published earlier. It's set in modern Tempe, Arizona (which
Richard Derus
Jul 01, 2014 Richard Derus rated it really liked it
Rating: 4* of five

The Publisher Says: This is a free short story that takes place ten months before the events of Hounded, the first book in the Iron Druid Chronicles.

My Review: Atticus gets naked in a Christmas-packed Tempe mall, helps Santa's elves (who're actually gnomes on a vendetta) get revenge against a kobold (did you know that Pompeii was destroyed because some kobolds were ticked at a local wizard? neither me, ain't history grand), and kills a faery with a pickup truck.

Oberon, meanwhil
Bookwraiths
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths Reviews

Clan Rathskeller is a short novella about Atticus O’Sullivan and his loyal – and sometimes snarky – wolfhound Oberon. It is relatively short, humorous, and will mainly appeal to those with an emotional attachment to the two characters of the ongoing series.

For those unfamiliar with The Iron Druid Chronicles, the stories spotlight twenty-one-centuries-old Atticus, the last of the ancient druids. He lives a rather uncomplicated life in Tempe, Arizona as
Jenn
Jun 08, 2016 Jenn rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
***NOTE MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS***
First of all I received this short story as a bonus feature to my kindle version of Hounded. I decided to review it separately because I don't like the idea of trying to mesh two stories into the same review.

In this short story Atticus and Oberon, the 2100 Druid and his dog from Hounded are shopping at an outdoor mall where they encounter a group of gnomes and get drawn into the gnomes issues with a kobold. The story is set to occur approximately 10 m
Jim
I read this before & it's a pretty good short prequel to the series. Luke Daniels read this well enough except I HATE Oberon's (the Irish Wolf hound) voice. It's awful.

My review of the ebook edition is here:
Jim
Nov 08, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it
This short story was a great introduction to the series & was available for free on the author's site. He definitely got me interested in his series, The Iron Druid Chronicles. It is a prequel to the series, but introduces everything without bogging down. There was plenty of action & it left me wanting more, although this particular adventure was well wrapped up. What more could you want? Excellent.

Go here for the story:

My 3 star review of the audi
Eeva
May 31, 2016 Eeva rated it really liked it
I usually never enjoy companion novellas, but this one was something else.

Atticus, I have only one thing to tell you:

description

The story is pretty sort, but it's still funny and action-packed.
You know how drug dealers give you first fix for free so you'll come back wanting for more? Well they must've been attending the same business classes as Kevin Hearne.
This story is a free piece you can find on his website and it WILL make crave more. More Atticus, more Oberon, more magic.
Yeah, you can call me a junk
The Flooze
**3.5**

Very nicely sets the scene and establishes the main characters. With a helping of Dresden-esque humor, this introduction ups my interest in the series!
Kc
Mar 26, 2012 Kc rated it it was amazing
Oh, Atticus. There is nothing like a little short story to remind us of what makes you so hilarious and awesome. For anyone familiar with The Iron Druid Chronicles but not quite familiar with this story, Clan Rathskeller takes place ten months prior to the first book (Hounded). We see Atticus in Tempe, just strolling through a mall with his witty sidekick, Oberon, when he runs into trouble.

Well that's not new. Attitucs has a trouble magnet strong enough to make the North/South Poles jealous. It'
Yolanda Sfetsos
May 03, 2011 Yolanda Sfetsos rated it it was amazing
This short story is a prequel to HOUNDED, so I was very interested in checking it out. And it didn't disappoint, because for being such a short story it packs quite a powerful punch.

Atticus and Oberon are wandering around Tempe Marketplace when they both notice something is wrong. And what first appears to be an odd situation with a bunch of Santa's elves, soon becomes something very dark and dangerous.

I think it's a great introduction to Atticus (which I'm already intrigued about), Oberon (an a
Jana
Sep 28, 2015 Jana rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
Oberon is, indeed, a Very Good Dog. And Atticus seems like a good Druid, so that's fun, too.
Lee
Nov 22, 2013 Lee rated it really liked it
I can imagine that if I had read this as my introduction to The Druid, I would have been looking forward to getting my teeth into the series. A great preview of what the series is all about.
Mary
Aug 15, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
Nice prequel to Hounded. I love he conversations between Atticus and Oberon.

Oberon said when I returned.
Famished, eh? That’s a pretty big word for a dog to use .

That’s tragic .

Santa leaves gifts for Christmas, Oberon, not a Druid’s holidays .

Okay, just in case. I’m sure you’re on his list of very good dogs .
Deyara
Nov 18, 2011 Deyara rated it it was amazing
Great short story, this series is a lot of fun. Oberon is really funny, love their dynamic.
Laurel
Dec 27, 2011 Laurel rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
A very fun little story, aptly demonstrating how well Atticus and Oberon can banter!
Cathy  Keaton
Oct 19, 2011 Cathy Keaton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2011, i-own
OMG! This is soooo funny... I was laughing every other minute!
Melissa
Dec 12, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it
I fun short story, which I enjoyed free with book one.
LastBreath
Short story (less than 50 ebook pages) which can be found at the end Hounded.

If ever I was to have an animal side-kick I would want an Oberon. He's sharp, witty and had me in fits throughout this whole read. I mean how can you not fall in love with him, just look!

description

Ok if I was to met a true Irish Wolfhound I would probably freak - they're huge! Hmm, somehow I think this statement would disappoint Oberon.

But on a more serious note I won't feel comfortable recommending this as a stand alone if you
Alice Janell
Jan 26, 2011 Alice Janell rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
I found author Kevin Hearne on Twitter quite randomly; Book Addict that I am, I went to his site and discovered that his first book, "Hounded", will be released in April.

As the synopsis says, "Clan Rathskeller" takes place ten months before the events of "Hounded" (coming April 2011).

I'm not sure if Kevin Hearne adds this to let the reader know a general timeline or if the events of "Clan Rathskeller" will play into the events of "Hounded".

Either way, for a super short story (26 pages) it was a
chucklesthescot
At a shopping mall, Oberon sniffs something not quite right and Atticus realises that Santa's elves are actually gnomes who have been robbed and want to get revenge on the thieves. It isn't really his business but you can't just let bad guys get away with it...

Another amusing short story. Atticus is having to deal with shoppers in the car park thinking he is a naked pervert while Santa's elves give chase with very short legs and unsuitable footwear, leading to quite a few laughs as well as the u
Bry
Dec 25, 2011 Bry rated it liked it
This is a short story that takes place a little bit before the events in the first book Hounded. It was very quickly paced but still full of action and humor of course (thanks to the always hilarious Oberon). Basically it revolves around a clan of gnomes hiding amongst the humans while waiting for a showdown between their enemies. And to blend in the gnomes are playacting as little people dressed as elves in Santa's village! And you have to love Oberon's take on this!

Oberon - "You’re telling me
Anneke
Jul 28, 2015 Anneke rated it it was amazing
A short story placed before book one, but really not a standalone or read-first part of the series, as the size of less than 20 pages doesn't allow for any character introduction. You need to have read book 1, Hounded, to understand any of what's going on.
One cool(ish) day in December, Atticus and Oberon are strolling around a christmassy Tempe shopping mall and encounter a bunch of 5 costumed-as-Santa's-elves gnomes. Not of the common plastic garden variety, but real, lifesized 4-ft-tall on pla
Desinka
Jul 01, 2014 Desinka rated it liked it
This was short but action packed and funny. Oberon was as cute as ever, and ever hungrier than usual:)
Zel Polev
Mar 15, 2016 Zel Polev rated it liked it
Nikki
I have yet to read Hounded, the first in the series, so this is my first introduction to the Iron Druid Chronicles. I love the premise of the book and the talking dog Oberon. I found a few things humorous, although at times the humor felt forced. Overall my 2 star rating is for the fact that I often felt the presence of the author and was never immersed in the story. I hope I do not feel the same for the full-length novels as I do love the idea of the world and characters.
Capri
Jul 10, 2016 Capri rated it it was amazing
This was a bonus short story at the end of the audibook for Grimoire of the Lamb.

Again Luke Daniels killed it with the narration! This was just a hilarious shenanigans with Atticus and Oberon involving gnomes--"No not the kind you chew up in people's yards, Oberon," elves, gods, drunk people at an outdoor mall, shape-shifting, nudity, epic drink brewing, and double crosses.

Basically Atticus and Oberon inadvertently get caught up in the middle of a double cross between the gnomes and the fae. The
Mihir
Sep 04, 2012 Mihir rated it really liked it

A short story which is a prequel to the first book "Hounded" but with a explosive get-up. It very nicely shows what the series leans towards and is action packed to the brim. Plus its available free over at the author's site [http://www.scribd.com/doc/45800350/CL...]

Read my review of it over HERE
Cathy
A very good short story that takes place before Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne. It's available for free on the author's website at the bottom of his "goodies" page: http://www.kevinhearne.com/goodies. It features both Atticus and his darling (fierce! - don't tell him I called him darling) Oberon.
Elspeth
Aug 09, 2012 Elspeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazon
I love Kevin Hearne's sence of humor, this was great!

"I didn't respond, because naked people never win arguments. They get yelled at, arrested, and Tasered, but nobody ever listens to them."

Another fun story from Hearne, and now off to read Kaibab Unbound!
  • Carniepunk
  • No Place Like Home (InCryptid, #0.03)
  • Silver and Salt
  • Web of Deceit (Elemental Assassin, #0.4)
  • Uncertain Allies (Connor Grey, #5)
  • Restoration of Faith (The Dresden Files, #0.2)
  • The Brave Tale of Maddie Carver (Downside Ghosts #0.1)
  • Shadowland (Cassandra Palmer, #4.2)
  • Chosen (Alex Verus, #4)
  • Tanya: Princess of the Elves (Monster Hunter International)
  • Cat Tales (Jane Yellowrock, #3.5)
Kevin is the author of The Iron Druid Chronicles, an urban fantasy series published by Del Rey Books. The first six books of the series are now out as well as a novella that's book 4.5 and some other short works. The seventh book, SHATTERED, will be released June 17.
More about Kevin Hearne...

The Iron Druid Chronicles (9 books)
  • Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1)
  • Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2)
  • Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
  • Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4)
  • Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #5)
  • Hunted (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #6)
  • Shattered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #7)
  • Staked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #8)
  • Scourged (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #9)

“I didn't respond, because naked people never win arguments.” 63 likes
“People used to say obvious things ironically or as a form of understatement, but in the last few decades they seem to say it with a sense of discovery, and it worries me.” 52 likes