Start by marking “Clan Rathskeller (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Clan Rathskeller (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #0.5)

Clan Rathskeller (The Iron Druid Chronicles 0.5)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  2,617 ratings  ·  152 reviews
This is a free short story that takes place ten months before the events of "Hounded", the first book in the Iron Druid Chronicles, coming 2011 from Del Rey.

ebook, Short story, 18 pages
Published December 2010

To ask other readers questions about Clan Rathskeller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clan Rathskeller

Werner
Mar 06, 2013 Werner rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Urban fantasy/supernatural fiction fans
Recommended to Werner by: My Goodreads friend Jim
On reflection, I reduced my rating to four stars because, while I did really like this short story, calling it "amazing" would be a stretch; I need to be less prodigal with my five-star ratings. But four-and-a-half would be a fair measure, because I did find this a truly good read.

As the short Goodreads description indicates, this is a sort of prequel to the author's Iron Druid series, written after the first novel, but set earlier and published earlier. It's set in modern Tempe, Arizona (which...more
Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 4* of five

The Publisher Says: This is a free short story that takes place ten months before the events of Hounded, the first book in the Iron Druid Chronicles.

My Review: Atticus gets naked in a Christmas-packed Tempe mall, helps Santa's elves (who're actually gnomes on a vendetta) get revenge against a kobold (did you know that Pompeii was destroyed because some kobolds were ticked at a local wizard? neither me, ain't history grand), and kills a faery with a pickup truck.

Oberon, meanwhil...more
Wendell Adams
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths Reviews

Clan Rathskeller is a short novella about Atticus O’Sullivan and his loyal – and sometimes snarky – wolfhound Oberon. It is relatively short, humorous, and will mainly appeal to those with an emotional attachment to the two characters of the ongoing series.

For those unfamiliar with The Iron Druid Chronicles, the stories spotlight twenty-one-centuries-old Atticus, the last of the ancient druids. He lives a rather uncomplicated life in Tempe, Arizona as...more
Jenn
***NOTE MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS***
First of all I received this short story as a bonus feature to my kindle version of Hounded. I decided to review it separately because I don't like the idea of trying to mesh two stories into the same review.

In this short story Atticus and Oberon, the 2100 Druid and his dog from Hounded are shopping at an outdoor mall where they encounter a group of gnomes and get drawn into the gnomes issues with a kobold. The story is set to occur approximately 10 m...more
Jim
This short story was a great introduction to the series & was available for free on the author's site. He definitely got me interested in his series, The Iron Druid Chronicles. It is a prequel to the series, but introduces everything without bogging down. There was plenty of action & it left me wanting more, although this particular adventure was well wrapped up. What more could you want? Excellent.

Go here for the story:
The Flooze
**3.5**

Very nicely sets the scene and establishes the main characters. With a helping of Dresden-esque humor, this introduction ups my interest in the series!
Lee
I can imagine that if I had read this as my introduction to The Druid, I would have been looking forward to getting my teeth into the series. A great preview of what the series is all about.
Laurel
Dec 27, 2011 Laurel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
A very fun little story, aptly demonstrating how well Atticus and Oberon can banter!
Alice Janell
I found author Kevin Hearne on Twitter quite randomly; Book Addict that I am, I went to his site and discovered that his first book, "Hounded", will be released in April.

As the synopsis says, "Clan Rathskeller" takes place ten months before the events of "Hounded" (coming April 2011).

I'm not sure if Kevin Hearne adds this to let the reader know a general timeline or if the events of "Clan Rathskeller" will play into the events of "Hounded".

Either way, for a super short story (26 pages) it was a...more
Kc
Oh, Atticus. There is nothing like a little short story to remind us of what makes you so hilarious and awesome. For anyone familiar with The Iron Druid Chronicles but not quite familiar with this story, Clan Rathskeller takes place ten months prior to the first book (Hounded). We see Atticus in Tempe, just strolling through a mall with his witty sidekick, Oberon, when he runs into trouble.

Well that's not new. Attitucs has a trouble magnet strong enough to make the North/South Poles jealous. It'...more
Yolanda Sfetsos
This short story is a prequel to HOUNDED, so I was very interested in checking it out. And it didn't disappoint, because for being such a short story it packs quite a powerful punch.

Atticus and Oberon are wandering around Tempe Marketplace when they both notice something is wrong. And what first appears to be an odd situation with a bunch of Santa's elves, soon becomes something very dark and dangerous.

I think it's a great introduction to Atticus (which I'm already intrigued about), Oberon (an a...more
Bry
This is a short story that takes place a little bit before the events in the first book Hounded. It was very quickly paced but still full of action and humor of course (thanks to the always hilarious Oberon). Basically it revolves around a clan of gnomes hiding amongst the humans while waiting for a showdown between their enemies. And to blend in the gnomes are playacting as little people dressed as elves in Santa's village! And you have to love Oberon's take on this!

Oberon - "You’re telling me...more
Desinka
This was short but action packed and funny. Oberon was as cute as ever, and ever hungrier than usual:)
Nikki
I have yet to read Hounded, the first in the series, so this is my first introduction to the Iron Druid Chronicles. I love the premise of the book and the talking dog Oberon. I found a few things humorous, although at times the humor felt forced. Overall my 2 star rating is for the fact that I often felt the presence of the author and was never immersed in the story. I hope I do not feel the same for the full-length novels as I do love the idea of the world and characters.
Mihir

A short story which is a prequel to the first book "Hounded" but with a explosive get-up. It very nicely shows what the series leans towards and is action packed to the brim. Plus its available free over at the author's site [http://www.scribd.com/doc/45800350/CL...]

Read my review of it over HERE
Cathy
A very good short story that takes place before Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne. It's available for free on the author's website at the bottom of his "goodies" page: http://www.kevinhearne.com/goodies. It features both Atticus and his darling (fierce! - don't tell him I called him darling) Oberon.
Elspeth
I love Kevin Hearne's sence of humor, this was great!

"I didn't respond, because naked people never win arguments. They get yelled at, arrested, and Tasered, but nobody ever listens to them."

Another fun story from Hearne, and now off to read Kaibab Unbound!
Tracey
I started off with this short story of the Iron Druid Series before I went on to the first book just so I could get to know the character(s)and environment. I thought it was well written and I like Kevin Hearne's writing style and I have now started on Hounded!
Kati
Great little story. But I would advise to read book 1 in the series first, it gives the reader a better idea of what's going on. I loved all the funny one-liners and Atticus running around naked in the mall, that was hilarious. And Oberon's always a hoot.
Steven
Kevin Hearne's sense of humor definitely jives with mine... I am digging these "prequel" short stories and can't wait for book one! :)
Deyara
Great short story, this series is a lot of fun. Oberon is really funny, love their dynamic.
Cathy  Keaton
OMG! This is soooo funny... I was laughing every other minute!
Robin
To be honest with you, I kept putting off reading Clan Rathskeller & Kaibab Unbound. While I enjoy reading the Iron Druid books by Kevin Hearne, I just wasn't sure I would like the short stories as strongly.

I was wrong.

The thing I like most while reading Kevin Hearne's work, is his voice. It's humorous and full of life. Sometimes, while reading his novels, I feel he is sitting down next to me reading them aloud. They feel alive and similar to talking with a friend.

Speaking of friends, one of...more
Amanda
Having just finished Tricked (Iron Druid Chronicles, #4), I wasn't quite ready to let go of Atticus and his world, so I moseyed on over to Kevin Hearne's website to get myself a couple short stories. Since Clan Rathskeller is set before the series begins, I figured I'd read everything in chronological order.

If you haven't picked up this series and hesitate to do so, Clan Rathskeller gives us a brief glimpse at Atticus and Oberon and the supernatural shenanigans that befall them. It is a good int...more
Jesus
This is my entry into this series so in not sure if I should have read this before or after Hounded but from this I can see how this is compared to Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, I still have a couple of books in the pipeline before I start with this series and I kinda tested out if this short story would dissuade and prompt me to start it right away, it didn't do that but it wasn't bad either, nice introduction to the character and the humor I can expect in the future, didn't like the dog being s...more
Robyn
Mar 30, 2014 Robyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Robyn by: robynmcintyre@gmail.com
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This prequel to the first book in the Iron Druid series is a great introduction to Atticus and his hound Oberon. As always, the last Druid cannot keep himself from getting involved and totally making things worse for himself before he makes them any better. It's fast paced and liberally dosed with the kind of humour you might expect from a 2100 year old man who tries to keep up with modern conventions.
Nicole
Part of the Iron Druid Chronicles, this short story takes place 10 months before the first book in the series, Hounded. I read it after I read the rest of the series, but I think it would also serve as a good introduction for new readers.

Atticus (a 2000 year old druid) and Oberon (his dog) are trying to keep a low profile and blend in with the mortals, but they fail when they get caught up in a fight with supernatural beings. So, business as usual for them, basically. The banter between Atticus...more
Lisa
I really enjoyed this short story. The characters are well developed and the story is entertaining. When will this clan show up in Iron Druid Chronicles again? We need to see them and learn more about them. As usual, Oberon is the comic relief that I so enjoy.
David
Short short story, a prequel of sorts to 'Hounded', that was written after that novel but set before it and was included free in my electronic copy of that novel.

Without giving too much away, Atticus and Oberon (his dog) encounter some magical beings while out on a shopping trip, and end up helping some against the other, giving a flavour of what a full novel reads like.
  • Carniepunk
  • One Hell of a Ride (InCryptid, #0.2)
  • Restoration of Faith (The Dresden Files, #0.2)
  • Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • Twenty Palaces (Twenty Palaces, #0.5)
  • The House at Cobb End (Cassandra Palmer, #5.1)
  • Magic Mourns (Kate Daniels, #3.5)
  • The Brave Tale of Maddie Carver (Downside Ghosts #0.1)
  • Slashback (Cal Leandros, #8)
  • Curran; Naked Dinner: Part 1 and 2 (Curran POV, #7)
  • Carniepunk: Parlor Tricks (Elemental Assassin #8.1)
  • Forged in Fire (Sarah Beauhall #3)
  • Unfettered
  • Uncertain Allies (Connor Grey, #5)
Kevin is the author of The Iron Druid Chronicles, an urban fantasy series published by Del Rey Books. The first six books of the series are now out as well as a novella that's book 4.5 and some other short works. The seventh book, SHATTERED, will be released June 17.
More about Kevin Hearne...
Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2) Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3) Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4) Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #5)

“I didn't respond, because naked people never win arguments.” 53 likes
“People used to say obvious things ironically or as a form of understatement, but in the last few decades they seem to say it with a sense of discovery, and it worries me.” 41 likes