Start by marking “Plan of Attack (Patrick McLanahan, #12)” as Want to Read:
Plan of Attack (Patrick McLanahan, #12)

Plan of Attack (Patrick McLanahan #12)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,660 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
The destruction of a Russian air base by robotic U.S. warplanes has reawakenedthe bear -- and America must pay a terrible price. In retaliation, Russia's leader launches the most devastating military sneak attack since Pearl Harbor, decimating America's strategic air forces. Now an embattled U.S. president must choose between two horrific scenarios: a cease-fire on the ene ...more
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published May 11th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Plan of Attack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plan of Attack

Jeff Brateman
Mar 18, 2010 Jeff Brateman rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Overall this storyline of Patrick McClanahan is just silly. I just don't understand creating an alternative universe and timeline (see Back to the Future 2 for clarification), but referencing things from one universe in the other. For example, this book references all the world events that happened in previous books, which was a crazy depiction of the world, but the author then decides to mention 9-11 as a source of something. I think it references the alternative universe by mentioning all the ...more
Kevin
Jul 02, 2013 Kevin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I felt that this book is really bad on so many levels. First, is it really likely that the post-soviet Russia, deep in debt and with its military rusting in storage, could assemble a massive bomber force to attack the US? And even if such a force was raised, how it could get to the American coast without being detected by US intelligence, satellites, or radar? Even more curious, how could NORAD have virtually no fighters on the West Coast, when so many Air Force squadrons are based there along w ...more
Henri Moreaux
Patrick McLanahan return in the twelfth instalment of the series.

Like a plate of cheese one can't read too many Dale Brown books at once or they'll become tiresome and one can't appreciate the characteristics that make them desirable, spread out however? They're excellent (just like the special reserve cheese which was consumed whilst reading this book).

Yes, the plot is far fetched and poor Patrick McLanahan has either the most stellar military career or the worst luck imaginable depending upo
George
Sep 24, 2015 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: public-library
Dale Brown seems to think that the Russians would respond in a limited way to an attack on their homeland. He should research Russian fears and paranoia. That said, the book was an interesting postulate of conflict between the USA and Russia. The civilian political leaders seem to know a lot of technology, nomenclature, etc. for weapon systems. That's a characteristic of Brown's writing...I just got over it and read on. There are only a few fully developed characters in this book, but I have a f ...more
Ultan
Ed
Aug 13, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#12 in the Patrick McLanahan series.

Patrick McLanahan, USAF general, has been demoted after attacking a Russian air base. The Russian President retaliates by attacking bomber bases and ICBM sites over the NW quarter of the US with nuclear weapons. As he prepares for a second wave of attacks, Patrick takes the remaining US bomber force on a retaliatory strike into Russia.
Dennis
Oct 14, 2014 Dennis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book better than the last couple of books in the series. It was full of action and a real page-turner without some of the "out there" stuff that I felt made the prior books a bit more unbelievable. Between this series and the "Dreamland" series of books I still have plenty of Dale Brown books to read before I run out.
Chris
Jun 19, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book and air battle force are essentially one book, split into two parts. It is a good story, and ties up all the loose ends from the previous one. There was a lot more story here than he covered, pieces just kinda drifted off with a few words. I liked it.
Jim Bocko
Feb 10, 2015 Jim Bocko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Patrick McLanahan always seems to be at odds with his bosses. You should read this book to find out how things turned out this time. I listened to the audiobook.
James
Jun 06, 2016 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
McLanahan is up to his "old" tricks again.

There are times when this character really ticks me off with his behavior/actions but all in all it is still a good read.
Dale
Mar 24, 2016 Dale rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-thriller
This book was way too technical. The overbearing military details overwhelmed any interest in a story line. Could have been about 400 pages shorter!
Clyn
Another unrealistic but interesting addition to the series. Although entertaining, the plausibility of having such an egocentric maniac at the head of the Russian government was a little far fetched to me. This was a deviation from Brown's normal pattern of keeping things not so far fetched (with the obvious exception of weapon systems). The character was one you love to hate. A always, I felt like the book ended too fast in one furious battle with not a lot of follow up except in retrospect. St ...more
Joe Noonan
May 04, 2014 Joe Noonan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took awhile to get into because there was a lot of military hardware jargon but the story picked up and was pretty exciting. Very good read for those that like Clancy
Curtis D.
Mar 16, 2015 Curtis D. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked all the imagination and planning that went into this novel, funny that it didn't show that there was 427 pages.
Greg
May 10, 2014 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've enjoyed Dale Brown's books. This is the second one I've read which has kept me engaged through out the story. His writings makes me feel I'm right there in the battles.
Rob
Jul 30, 2011 Rob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An average read for me. Seeing that I jumped into this book and it was near the end of the story arch, not sure of who some of the players were. Not as good as Dreamland:Retribution though.

On to finishing Bram Stoker's Dracula.
Bruce
Aug 03, 2009 Bruce rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not much worth reading here. Too much emphasis on military gear. Too much outlandish futuristic stuff, and the plot was pretty weak. McLanahan comes off as a wacko for most of the book, ignoring orders and doing as he pleased.
Olof
Jan 05, 2014 Olof rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Halfway into the book I wanted to give it six stars out of five. But, as quite a few of Dale Browns books, the buildup is better than the solution. Still a very good book. Could easily have been supergreat!
Doug
Jun 28, 2010 Doug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fic-dale-brown
Another unbelievable, excellent fantasy from Dale Brown. There is an abruptness here not seen in other stories and a fairly unbelievable and logistical plot nightmare, but overall this is well worth the read.
Charles
Jun 19, 2010 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fine book in the McLanahan series. Although the events in the storyline are a little far fetched, thats why it is called fiction. I would recommend to anyone who likes military fiction
Mark Latham
Sep 22, 2012 Mark Latham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This book so far, is just plain, AWESOME! I love his books, as I am into the war/action genre, I'm currently writing my own war/action book at the moment, Dale Brown is an inspiration to me!
Jami
Nov 21, 2008 Jami rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: guys
Recommended to Jami by: received randomly in a bag of books from brother in law
The story was interesting, the fight scenes were great, however there was Way too much technical information. It was very repetetive and disrupted the flow of the text.
Bill Klanderman
Sep 16, 2012 Bill Klanderman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a kind of weird book, but at the same time it was hard to put down. Guess that means I liked it. I will read the twelve, the next book in the series.
Amos
Oct 14, 2011 Amos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
New books 9-2-2011 of Walmart
Plan of Attack by Dale Brown $3.49
Started 9/9/2011 Finis 9/13/2011 4:30 am Thank God, this is fiction! 5 star…
Doug Heerema
May 07, 2010 Doug Heerema rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Dale brown book. Didn't know I was starting at the end of the series, but it was a good read and entertaining.
Kimberly
Really enjoyed this book, even when Minot got blown up. Will need to go back and read this whole series.
Angel Serrano
Excesivo despliegue de datos técnicos sobre armamento actual y futuro hacen pesado el libro.
Eunice
Fast paced; technical. Believable and scary.
Vaidik Dalal
Aug 23, 2013 Vaidik Dalal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Breathtaking .. End was a bit less dramatic
Tony
IF YOU LIKE WAR---OK
Curious 2 6 Jul 21, 2013 07:40AM
  • Scimitar SL-2 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #7)
  • Bright Star (Scott Dixon, #2)
  • The Enemy Within
  • Fortunes of War
  • Force of Eagles (Jack Locke, #2)
Former U.S. Air Force captain Dale Brown is the superstar author of eleven consecutive New York Times best-selling military-action-aviation adventure novels: FLIGHT OF THE OLD DOG (1987), SILVER TOWER (1988), DAY OF THE CHEETAH (1989), HAMMERHEADS (1990), SKY MASTERS (1991), NIGHT OF THE HAWK (1992), CHAINS OF COMMAND (1993), STORMING HEAVEN (1994), SHADOWS OF STEEL (1996) and FATAL TERRAIN (1997) ...more
More about Dale Brown...

Patrick McLanahan (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Flight of the Old Dog (Patrick McLanahan, #1)
  • Night of the Hawk (Patrick McLanahan, #2)
  • Sky Masters (Patrick McLanahan, #3)
  • Day of the Cheetah (Patrick McLanahan, #4)
  • Shadows of Steel (Patrick McLanahan, #5)
  • Fatal Terrain (Patrick McLanahan, #6)
  • The Tin Man (Patrick McLanahan, #7)
  • Battle Born (Patrick McLanahan, #8)
  • Warrior Class (Patrick McLanahan, #9)
  • Wings of Fire (Patrick McLanahan, #10)