Start by marking “Across the Galaxy” as Want to Read:
Across the Galaxy

Across the Galaxy

Seventeen year-old Alina Leone is an alien. Not the foreign citizen kind, but the secret, I'm-from-another-planet-and-mean-you-no-harm kind. And so far, it’s worked. No one knows she’s an empress from a distant planet hiding here from the Shadows, the monsters who destroyed her home.

But her alien version of witness protection ends abruptly when she’s almost kidnapped by a
Published by Accendo Press (first published January 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Across the Galaxy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Across the Galaxy

Cathy  Keaton
I won this book from a Goodreads giveaway....

Plot: I had a feeling as I read Across the Galaxy that the plot was a bit off to my natural senses. It seemed some key plot points were arrived at either too early, too late, more than one time, or not at all. It made it hard to get into a good flow of reading. The inciting incident/catalyst happened perhaps too early, although that's my own opinion. I don't even remember what happened at the halfway point, and the ending had two different climaxes. V
Jane
Nov 19, 2012 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this eBook from a give-away hosted by A Book Vacation. I enjoyed this science fiction adventure story filled romance and fantasy. A great heroine, who almost single handedly overcomes the enemy. We see Alina, the teenager growing into a young woman who takes and accepts her responsibility. It can't be easy having to be on the move, looking over your shoulder for the next danger. Great characterisation, a sound plot, and set at a pace that keeps its audience enthralled.
Teresa
ISBN: B004KABBC2
Buy Link: http://heatherhildenbrand.blogspot.co...
Reviewer: Teresa Fallen Angel
Blurb:
Alina Leone is in hiding.

Her parents are dead, her best friend is a horse, and she can’t return to her home planet of Gliese until the Shadows, the monsters who hunt for her, are found and destroyed.

But they found her first. The same creatures that murdered her parents and forced her to flee to Eart
Andrea
Mar 25, 2011 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Across the Galaxy is a beautifully descriptive book. Author Heather Hildenbrand does a terrific job of placing the reader into the scenery. While reading of Arizona, I felt myself visualizing the terrain, the orange and red of the sky, the heat. As I was taken 'across the galaxy' into each ensuing world, the imagery given made each planet feel real. The animals, trees, grass, water; every detail was given its due. True escapism at its best.

Each character in the story, beginning with Alina, is
NightlyReading
Mar 15, 2011 NightlyReading rated it it was amazing
Review located at http://www.nightlyreading.wordpress.com

Heather Hildenbrand wrote a unique novel full of drama, romance and action. I cannot wait to read more of her work.

Alina is different from the other kids in Arizona. She is from another planet called Gliese. She is what is considered a “glow”. Her chest can illuminate a light brighter than the sun.

Alina is the daughter of the Emporer and Empress of her planet. They were killed trying to protect her from the shadows. Peter, her guardian,
Amber I. (AwesomeSauce Book Club)

Giveaway and New Cover Reveal Going on NOW on Blog!

I really loved Heathers Dirty Blood series so I jumped on the chance to read this book without reading the description. When I first started this book, I got really nervous once I noticed it was about aliens and other galaxies (I really should have figured this out before reading.) Anyways I kept reading because it was so far so good. And before the middle came around, well I was totally totally HOOKED! I never would have thought I would be in l
Alexandrea Hills
Mar 15, 2012 Alexandrea Hills rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book through Goodreads First Reads.

I'm not a huge fan of books featuring aliens but I really enjoyed this book. The dialogue was 'human', the emotions were 'human' so it made it for an easy and good read.

I loved the descriptions of the other planets. They were very vivid and it was easy to picture what it would be like to travel to these places. Heather did not make them seem to unrealistic. She changed colours around and made the size of some of the animals bigger but nothing she de
Hmr28
Jun 25, 2012 Hmr28 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I am not sure why authors' don't take advantage of every single avenue of publication open to them. I know that if I come across a recommendation from goodreads or a friend I check the book out right away, if it is available and is interesting to me, I buy it. If it is not available for me to buy on the Nook, I don't and then...I forget about it. Essentially the author has lost the chance at a sale, because I am not going to remember that I wanted a particular book 1 week from now much less 3 mo ...more
A Book Vacation
Jun 09, 2011 A Book Vacation rated it really liked it
Originally, I thought this book was going to be like I Am Number Four, but it’s not. It’s better. Hildenbrand has created a great novel for all ages, and I was captivated from the very beginning. It is obvious that a lot of time and energy went into creating this novel, and it flows so perfectly that it’s impossible to put down.

I really liked the character of Alina; I highly enjoyed watching her come into herself, finally able to make friends and fully discover her potential as the empress of he
Isabelle
Feb 27, 2012 Isabelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book definitely didn't lack origininality in the story. One bonus point for that. I didn't feel bored at all and finished the book quite fast. There were some things that bothered me though. I did not get that sparky- aching feeling reading the love parts. I guess it was because the characters seemed too transparent to me.
Other than that, the whole book was written in a first person narrator, out of Alina's view. This is not bad, don't get me wrong. What the author did was, she inserted on
ILoveBooks
Jun 11, 2011 ILoveBooks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alina is not the average main character. She is from a different planet and labeled a "glow" or someone who can make her chest illuminate brighter than the sun. She is protected by Peter, her guardian, and moved around constantly in attempts to ensure her safety. Alina is powerful and hunted by the evil shadows. Good things can't last forever...Alina is captured and taken to her home planet by a shadow. This is where the novel picks up pace and Alina is forced to learn to utilize her powers and ...more
LeAnn
Oct 26, 2012 LeAnn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really enjoyable read filled with action and plot twists that will keep you on your toes. The plot was really original and I applaud Ms. Hildenbrand for the worlds she created.

I loved the main character, Alina. She was a very strong protagonist and brave in the face of danger. She has an independent spirit that doesn't stop her from going for what she believes is right.

I did have one issue with this book, the reason why I didn't give it 5 stars, is because of the ending. I felt it w
Jackie -Sated Faery
Man, I loved this book! It was a totally new & different alien kind of story. An epic battle of dark versus light. You have Alina, the brave but unsure heroine who gets her life turned upside down when she has to leave earth to venture to an unknown planet & begin to uncover her hidden talents. Then you have the big beautiful, yet extremely dangerous, wolf warriors who are sworn to protect her and the others from her planet. And most important, Ander, the jerk with the deep penetrating e ...more
Marjorie
Nov 05, 2014 Marjorie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Given To Me For An Honest Review

Heather Hildenrand's book Across the Galaxy is such a must read it isn't funny. I just loved it. It is a young adult fantasy, young adult read. But adults will enjoy it also. It is about Alina who comes from a different planet. Most of her planet and citizens have been destroyed by the Shadow. She is trying to live a quiet and simple life on earth. That is until she is captured by Shadow and is taken back to her home planet. After her kidnapping Alina is forced to
Mary Beeson
Feb 28, 2011 Mary Beeson rated it it was amazing
Accompany Alina on her quest to unleash her natural born power. This book starts of on Earth but with a short series of events takes you far form this solar system. You quickly learn what kind of mental state Alina is in as you are put in her shoes. Throughout the book she is left with so many questions to answer and decisions to make.
she is not one for doing as shes is told, she prefers to do what she feels is right. Journey with her as she meets friends along her journey, throughout the galax
Andrea Wilmot
Feb 03, 2012 Andrea Wilmot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of Heather's Dirty Blood series but when I read the description of Across the Galaxy I just didn't feel that interested. But... as it kept popping up as a recommendation, I slowly gave in. I am so disappointed in myself for having not read this sooner. I finished it in 2 days and when I wasn't reading it I was hoping I'd get a chance to pick it up again to read just one more chapter. This is an amazing book. The storyline is original and the writing is fantastic. There is a perfect ba ...more
Rachael Grossi
Sep 01, 2011 Rachael Grossi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a really good book, and its a great price. I'm not big into books featuring aliens but I did enjoys this book. I didn't like how everything on the different planet was the same on earth including the language and the names. It didn't seem very alien also the book was written for young adults but was writing is suitably for middle schoolers. I did enjoy the story line and heroine Alina. I also enjoyed the relationship betweem Alina and Anders. I would recommend this book to someone w ...more
Keisha
Jun 15, 2015 Keisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heather Hildenbrand's writing is magnetic. Every book that I have read by her has drawn me in and captivated me. Each world is fleshed out in a way that I can actually see the story unfolding. I had a difficult time putting this tale down. I enjoyed Alina and Ander. I liked the progression of their growth. The supporting characters were well developed and supported the story. This was a read that I would reccommend to others.
Phil Matthews
Aug 08, 2016 Phil Matthews rated it it was ok
Science not very good

Not sure I've ever read a book where the author was so out of touch with the "science" part of science fiction. Planet where the days are "opposite" of earth. Ever hear of jet lag? Sun is "backward"? Hello, do an about face and voila! From age 10 to age 17 with a body temperature of 120 degrees Fahrenheit in school and nobody has ever noticed! She knows this because she used a medical thermometer to check. Why would they make them go that high?
Ann Marie
May 29, 2011 Ann Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received "Across the Galaxy" for free via Goodreads. I enjoyed this book and looked forward to reading it every night. I fell in love with the characters and still find myself thinking about them even after I've moved on to a new book. I'm excited to pass this book along to my 14 yr. old daughter as I know she will enjoy reading it. I'm hoping Ms. Hildenbrand will continue the journey as I am not yet ready to give up Alina and Ander and the rest of the crew!
Sandra
Jul 09, 2014 Sandra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars. I found the start kind of amateurish but that may have just been that it was aimed at a younger YA audience than I usually read. I struggled through the tell not show first few chapters but found things picked up a enough to keep me reading once Alina was attacked by the witch. Didn't find the romance between Alina & Anders particularly compelling but again that might have been a maturity level thing.
Brittany Goodman
I received a free copy of this book from eBook Discovery.
I really like this author. I've read a few of her books and have found that I enjoy her story telling. This one in particular is clean with little to no profanity. She sweeps you into other worlds with her characters, who I came to love. This boo is a stand alone although I wish there were a sequel, perhaps watching as Alina and Ander begin to heal their planet and culture and how their story continues.
Overall. Very good story.
Mauna
Mar 26, 2012 Mauna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was nothing like I expected. I really enjoyed it. The story line was good and I liked all the characters and how they reacted with each other. What I loved about the book was Alina and Anders relationship. When you love somebody you love them. No second guessing or triangles. I loved how Alina just said how she felt, asked what she wanted to know, did what she needed to do.
Talk Supe
Mar 04, 2012 Talk Supe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the perfect showcase to Heather's imagination. Her other series, Dirty Blood and The Specials, were well written and thought of but this one really wowed me. Sure we all have our moments where we imagine distant places but to put it into writing and make it convincing is a skill not a lot of people have. Fortunately Heather has that.
Emmanuelle
May 30, 2012 Emmanuelle rated it it was amazing
Amazing book! I thought Heather's Dirty Blood series was amazing and this was 10 times better! So intriguing and fascinating and original. I'd give it a 10 stars if I could. This is definitely a book you won't want to put down. Each chapter is more intriguing then the last. When I got to the last page I couldn't believe it was done! Amazing read and definitely worth your time.
Sally Hannoush
Aug 10, 2016 Sally Hannoush rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the way that raveling between worlds takes place. Very fun idea! The story has many creative ideas that make me use my imagination. It's a sweet yet tough story on making right and wrong choices. It is a full novel with no cliff-hanger. Lots of ups and downs.
Katja
Jun 01, 2011 Katja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indie, as-ebook, ya, sci-fi, gisrg
Review can be found here: http://coffeemugged.net/2011/06/01/ac...
Stephanie
Oct 29, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW! LOVE IT! READ IT!
Pauline Forrester
Nov 03, 2014 Pauline Forrester rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite quirky and captivating. I liked it a lot :)
Cloud Riser
Apr 26, 2012 Cloud Riser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this a lot. It's great for an indie. :)
« previous 1 3 4 next »
This Book 2 5 Jun 03, 2011 04:26AM
  • The Advice Girl (Dalara, #1)
  • The 19 Dragons
  • Devil's Eye (Mirus, #1.2)
  • Darkness in the Blood (Angel's Edge, #2)
  • Skeleton Lake (Hollows #1)
  • Descended by Blood (Vampire Born, #1)
  • Save My Soul (Preternaturals, #2)
  • The Vampire Relationship Guide: Meeting & Mating (Vampire Relationship Guide, #1)
  • The Glassheart Chronicles
  • The Birth of Jaiden
  • Vampire Assassin (Jane #1)
  • Seer of Mars (Vallar, #1)
  • The Modified (The Biotics Trilogy, #1)
  • Amaretto Flame
  • Sleight (AVRA-K #1)
  • The Forest of Adventures (Knight Trilogy, #1)
  • Predators of Darkness (Darkness Series #1)
  • Forgotten Souls (The Saving Angels, #2)
Heather Hildenbrand was born and raised in a small town in northern Virginia where she was homeschooled through high school. (She’s only slightly socially awkward as a result.)

She writes Young Adult & New Adult romance including the bestselling Dirty Blood & Imitation series’. She splits her time between coastal Virginia and sunny Florida and loves having a mobile career and laptop lifest
More about Heather Hildenbrand...