Start by marking “Portrait of a Lover (American Heiresses, #5)” as Want to Read:
Portrait of a Lover (American Heiresses, #5)

Portrait of a Lover (American Heiresses #5)

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  281 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
A picture of deception . . .

Annabelle Lawson knew nothing about the breathtaking stranger she met on the train—only that he'd make an ideal model for the budding young artist . . . and that she desired him more than she believed possible. But after she'd been seduced, she learned that she'd also been betrayed.

The man she thought she loved was really Magnus Wallis—a scoundr
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books

To ask other readers questions about Portrait of a Lover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Portrait of a Lover

Katrina Passick Lumsden
I'll be honest, I really want to like this one. I remember Magnus from the fourth book in this series, and his encounter with Lily only made me think there was more to him than met the eye. Lo and behold, there was.

The problem is...this story is shit. It's two people who've missed out on 13 years of happiness merely because they're both stupid. I hate reading about this. Yes, I appreciate the whole "second chance at love" theme, but for me, it's just plain painful to read. And while it's bad eno
Maura
☆Eiko
I don't believe I ever remember reading about the most dormat hero yet, until now that is. A true love worth fighting for is one that is constant regardless of what others say or think. The hero Magnus repeatedly told the heroine that he wasn't who he said he was, he was also unsuitable for her and her family would never accept him and what does she do? she says that what she feels for him is true and everlasting regardless of what her family thinks. But then she goes and seeks him out when he d ...more
Tran
Aug 27, 2015 Tran rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Thirteen year period was a ridiculously long separation after which the hero and heroine were still ridiculously passionate toward each other. The heroine did not grow up at all regardless of the long period and whatever she claimed she was.
Yolanda
Mar 24, 2015 Yolanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
me encanta!!!
Amanda
Slightly boring. Slightly tedious. Still it was a very good plot, though I liked the turn the story took at the end, and his reservations weret really dressed by Annabelle. There is alot of tension in the beginning and I loved the tortured hero in this case though you can really say he was more male romantic lead I guess. I didnt really like anabelle though I coul understand her, and I did shed a tear or two.
Sherry
May 27, 2007 Sherry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2006-2010
I was disappointed in this book. I read MacLean's Love According to Lily and was expecting to be blown away by this one also. I wasn't. It was an enjoyable read, but there was nothing that took me by surprise, nothing that made me think of the book after I put it down.
Anna
Sep 08, 2013 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to get into. Skipped the flashbacks. I did finish but honestly it was blah. I didn't dislike it but I didn't like it either. Magnus at the end though, I really enjoyed him.
Cornelia
Nov 29, 2009 Cornelia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paperback, historical
my favourite of the series. they actually know each other. They have a complicated and bitter past. that was sad and really beautiful too!
*MariaA*
May 25, 2013 *MariaA* rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-good-ones
liked it but to truly enjoy this one must read Whitby & lily's story.
Huong
Feb 03, 2013 Huong rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boring, skip. DNF.
Malena
Malena rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2016
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Audrey Philibert
Audrey Philibert marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Tania
Tania marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Frances
Frances rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
AM
AM marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Nessa
Nessa added it
Jul 08, 2016
Marie Andersson
Marie Andersson marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Jess H
Jess H marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Cs
Cs marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Marsha Jess
Marsha Jess rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2016
Carmen joy beams
Carmen joy beams rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2016
Tonya
Tonya marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Angie Fournier
Angie Fournier rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2016
Natasha
Natasha marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Maru González Lorente
Maru González Lorente marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
KariJo
KariJo rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2016
  • Candra's Freedom (The Golden Key Chronicles #2)
  • Seducing the Duchess
  • The Damsel (Bride Quest, #2)
  • A Matter of Choice
  • Once Upon A Scandal
  • The Marriage Surrender
  • Lady Be Bad (Merry Widows, #3)
  • Into Temptation (Friends Trilogy, #3)
  • Holding Out For Skye
  • Apache Magic (Coltons, #1)
  • Her Every Pleasure (Spice Trilogy #3)
  • Desire (Notorious, #3)
  • Till Death and Beyond (Witch World, #1)
  • Rules of Passion (Greentree Sisters, #2)
  • Contract Of Shame (Unlikely Love #2)
  • Tempted All Night (Neville Family, #4)
  • Always a Temptress (Drake's Rakes #3)
  • Seize the Fire
Julianne MacLean is a USA Today bestselling author of over twenty historical romance novels, including The Highlander Trilogy with St. Martin's Press and her popular Pembroke Palace Series with Avon/Harper Collins. She also writes contemporary mainstream fiction, and her 2011 release THE COLOR OF HEAVEN was a digital bestseller. She is a three-time RITA finalist, and has won numerous awards, inclu ...more
More about Julianne MacLean...

American Heiresses (6 books)
  • To Marry the Duke (American Heiresses, #1)
  • An Affair Most Wicked (American Heiresses #2)
  • My Own Private Hero (American Heiresses, #3)
  • Love According to Lily (American Heiresses, #4)
  • Surrender to a Scoundrel (American Heiresses, #6)