Start by marking “Xingu” as Want to Read:
Xingu

Xingu

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  55 reviews
A short story by Edith Wharton.
The story of a book club.
Published January 4th 2011 by Classic Romances (first published February 27th 1916)

To ask other readers questions about Xingu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Xingu

Diane
This is an excellent short story about a pompous group of lunching ladies who have dedicated themselves to culture and literature and the like. It's humorous because the women pretend they know more than they do and will have entire conversations professing opinions on topics they know nothing about. This story has cemented Edith Wharton as one of my favorite American writers.
Hajarath Prasad Abburu
What a satire!! What a laugh riot!!

Xingu is a social satire based upon a bunch of pretentious, self - praising ladies who are the members of one Lunch Club in a place called Hillbridge. On an uneventful day, they invite an author Osric Dane to attend their meet and address them. What follows is a rip roaring laughter riot. Read it!!

Thank you Srividya for recommending this book. I LOVED LOVED LOVED IT!!!

PS : The lunch club meetings reminded me the meetings of American Guild of Architects in Th
Anil
Simply amazing. I think I'm becoming an Edith Wharton fan.:)
Cheryl
This is a hilarious satire of readers and their books clubs, about how some regard their importance in society, and the distance created by those beliefs. It is a short story long on the knowledge of the wish to seem erudite, read the "in" books, and converse in the most appealing of environments for the purpose of influencing a celebrity author. Everything is rehearsed and conversed behind the back of the Lunch Club's founder, Mrs. Ballinger. All is prepared except for one thing, no one has rea ...more
Free download available at Project Gutenberg

Opening lines:
Mrs. Ballinger is one of the ladies who pursue Culture in bands, as though it were dangerous to meet alone. To this end she had founded the Lunch Club, an association composed of herself and several other indomitable huntresses of erudition. The Lunch Club, after three or four winters of lunching and debate, had acquired such local distinction that the entertainment of distinguished strangers became one of its accepted functions; in recog
Tarah
I wouldn't normally rate a short story by itself (away from the collection), but this one is hilarious... just genuinely funny as snobby lunch-club ladies get hoodwinked, but also funny in its biting criticism of, well, literary criticism and the way we read, interpret, approach, understand, and even define "literature." You get the sense that Wharton is also poking fun at herself, but surely the most obvious target of derision are literary critics. Obviously the irony is that now I *must* work ...more
Srividya
Hilarious! Highly recommended.

A brilliant satire on book clubs and ladies clubs by Edith Wharton that has you laughing as you read. This was my first by the author and I must say that I am looking forward to reading more by her.
Gail
Can't say too much about this book without giving away the plot, but it's a hilarious exposé of what is now known as 'book snobbery'.

A group of women have a lunch group where they discuss contemporary literature which is considered literary and serious. They constantly try to demonstrate their cultural superiority to each other - and particularly look down on a member of their group called Mrs Roby, who hasn't read the latest serious book they are supposed to read in preparation for a visit fro
Iniya
What a twist at the end.. hilarous read.. thoroughly enjoyed..:-) Thanks HP for recommending and forcing me to read this ..!!!
Kathy
For all of us who think too much of ourselves and what we have read.
Funny and true.
Rebecca Scaglione
Xingu by Edith Wharton: I loved this short, classic novel. A group of six women engage in a Lunch Club with the point of basically being as pretentious as possible.

A famous author who they have all read, all but Mrs. Roby who is the outcast of the group, comes to one of their Lunch Club meetings. Osric Dane, the author, is so pretentious, so condescending, that she totally throws these polite, stuck up women off their game.

Mrs. Roby saves the day by bringing up the concept of Xingu, which the ot
Rishabh Mishra
Highly recommended for those who have a very busy schedule as the book provides a lot to absorb in less than 50 pages, and of course,needless to mention,FUN!!
Ann Giammona
This short story by Edith Wharton had me chuckling all the way through. It relates the events at a meeting of The Lunch Club, "an association of ... several ... Indomitable huntresses of erudition. " Wharton skewers the pretentious members of the club as they struggle to one-up each other in discussion about "Xingu" when none know what Xingu actually is.
Wharton is deft in her characterizations and you will likely recognize each pompous lady as someone you have known or, like me, someone you may
Georgiana 1792
Questo racconto è esilarante!
A volte, quando partecipo ad un Gruppo di Lettura e c'è qualche intervento particolarmente saccente, sorrido tra me e me e ripenso a questa short story.
E vorrei essere Mrs Roby, che preferisce scegliere le letture in base ai suoi gusti, anche se le "intellettuali" la considerano frivola, e gettare i libri "seri", e noiosi nello Xingu... :PPP
(Metaforicamente, sia chiaro, i libri sono sacri!)
Renee M
This is now one of my favorite short stories! I love the subtlety of the revenge taken against the bullies of the book club! So so funny as they figure out how they have humiliated themselves. Just a brilliant piece of writing.
 Gigi Ann
"Xingu" is a short, (48 pages) classic novel by Edith Wharton, about a a group of six snobbish ladies who belong to a book club, and their attitudes toward society, each other, and more importantly...themselves.

I especially enjoyed Mrs. Roby talking about the Xingu, and the other women pretending they knew all about it. However, later after Mrs. Roby left they quick looked up Xingu to find out what she was talking about. When the ladies understood what the Xingu was..."They received this communi
sabisteb
Zeitlose Satire über das Rezensionsunwesen

1916 treffen sich 6 Damen der Gesellschaft regelmäßig zum “Lunch Club”, um gemeinsam über Bücher zu diskutieren, und ihren Geist zu schärfen. Das gerade aktuelle Thema dieses Bücherclubs ist der Besuch einer Bestsellerautorin, die ihren Lesezirkel besuchen kommt und mit welcher sie ihr Werk diskutieren wollen. Dafür müssen alle Mitglieder sich ihre Gedanken zu dem Buch gemacht haben und dafür, müssen sie es auch gelesen haben!

“Mrs. Ballinger is one of th
Melinda (The Book Musings)
Originally published on The Book Musings

Reading a classic, which I haven’t done in a while, and having it be a rather short story was refreshing. The fact that it’s short is not the only thing I liked about this short story, I liked that it was funny and made me laugh!

The story is about six pompous ladies who are in a book club and are about to have a book club meeting where they have invited the author of a book they are going to discuss. Neither of them have read the book, “The Wings of Death
Rachel
This is a delightful short story about a group of pompous ladies who have formed a Lunch Club. Into their lunch club they invite Mrs Roby, because they believe she would be an asset to the group, however she becomes a sort of outcast because her knowledge is not up to scratch, and she is not as dignified as the other ladies. The group invite a famous author, Osric Dane to their group, and the ladies end up quite put-out with the resulting happenings. This is a funny little book, as Wharton descr ...more
Sue
If you don't know what the title means. don't look it up because you will take away some of the enjoyment. A group of well to do ladies meet for their improvement group and meet their match. A lovely send up of literary groups. Love Edith Wharton. Short but very clever. I did need to read the first couple a pages a few times to get back into the rhythm of the classics after a number of 'modern' books but it was well worth the effort.
Lola
It has been a while since I've really read any Edith Wharton, and apparently it was long enough for me to forget that she is the master of satire. I mean, this is the women who was so intimidating F. Scott Fitzgerald had to get plastered to meet her. I couldn't stop laughing towards the end of the story when the ladies of the club actually looked up Xingu in an encyclopedia. Mrs. Roby is now one of my favorite short story ladies. Definitely recommended!
Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors)
A satire on book reading clubs and discussion groups. As one of my friends said,this is a satire on goodreads before it was founded. The plot was something that might have occurred to Oscar Wilde,for it seemed much similar to his writings. It had society ladies,the hypocrisy in their so-called intellectual discussions and humor. This is my first reading of Edith Wharton and I really enjoyed it. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Balthazar Lawson
Most people in live want to feel as if they belong and not to look a fool. That is the essence of this short story, that is nearly 100 years old, about a group of women have formed a small social group called the Lunch Club. Being as old as it is the writing style is very different as is the vocabulary.

Entertaining, but only up to a point.
Claire P
A truly delightful skewering of self-important society ladies determined to impress themselves and others of their knowledge. I don't recall from my high school years that Edith Wharton had a particularly strong sense of humor. Maybe I'll have to back and re-read some of her works that failed to impress me then!
Jennifer Kenney
Possibly my favorite short story ever. If I ever found a book club that had this as the book they read for the first meeting, I'd know I'd found a group of friends for life. Exceptional, marvelous, funny and delightful.
Marie
A small book that starts off with a group of very proper ladies that lunch and ends with them all being taken in by the quick witted conversation of one of their members. A clever book that could be said to ridicule those who aspire to be something they are not
Audrey
Feb 01, 2014 Audrey rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO ONE!!!!!
Shelves: read-2014
This book was beyond pointless. At least it was so short I didn't waist much time on it. It detailed the goings on at a Lunch Book Club meeting in 1916. It was rather dull. Good thing it was free on Amazon.
Paola
Incipit:
"Mrs Ballinger é una di quelle signore che inseguono la Cultura in gruppo, quasi fosse pericoloso affrontarla da sola".
pg. 32:
"... Il suo intelletto era un albergo in cui i fatti arrivavano e se ne andavano come pensionanti di passaggio, senza lasciare il loro indirizzo e spesso senza pagare per il soggiorno."
E. Wharton una bella scoperta. Penna velenosa quanto basta a mostrare che il re é nudo.
Una certa alta borghesia americana mostrata in tutta la sua splendida vacuità ipocrita.
E della
  • Ghost Stories
  • The Mangan Inheritance
  • Sheep Out to Eat
  • Complete Stories
  • The Long Divorce (Gervase Fen, #8)
  • The Attack on the Mill and Other Stories
  • Come le mosche d'autunno
  • Monsters! and Other Stories
  • Saint Thomas Aquinas and Saint Francis of Assisi
  • Il bell'Antonio
  • Les Trois Mousquetaires & Vingt ans après
  • Monstress
  • Tales of Terror from the Black Ship (Tales of Terror, #2)
Edith Newbold Jones was born into such wealth and privilege that her family inspired the phrase "keeping up with the Joneses." The youngest of three children, Edith spent her early years touring Europe with her parents and, upon the family's return to the United States, enjoyed a privileged childhood in New York and Newport, Rhode Island. Edith's creativity and talent soon became obvious: By the a ...more
More about Edith Wharton...
The Age of Innocence The House of Mirth Ethan Frome Ethan Frome and Other Short Fiction The Custom of the Country

“... it became clear to her observers that she was not quick at shifting her facial scenery. It was as though her countenance had so long been set in an expression of unchallenged superiority that the muscles had stiffened, and refused to obey her orders.” 0 likes