Start by marking “Xingu” as Want to Read:
Xingu

Xingu

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  348 Ratings  ·  92 Reviews
A short story by Edith Wharton.
The story of a book club.
Nook, 36 pages
Published January 4th 2011 by Classic Romances (first published February 27th 1916)

To ask other readers questions about Xingu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Xingu

Stephanie
Aug 08, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished-2015
Xingu is a short and humorous classic!

The book is a satire of a pretentious ladies lunch and literature group set in the early 1900's. The 6 ladies are reminiscent of an elite high school clique where there is heavy competition and an odd man out. The story focuses on the visit of a famous guest author, that doesn't turn out quite as planned. The only topic presented that the guest will discuss is Xingu. The ladies all state that they have just studied it ... but have they and do they even know
Debbie Zapata
Mar 26, 2016 Debbie Zapata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pg
The Lunch club is expecting a guest for their next meeting, a famous author! Everyone is all atwitter over the prospect, except perhaps newest member Mrs. Roby.

"I can understand that, with all your other pursuits, you should not find much time for reading; but I should have thought you might at least have got up 'The Wings of Death' before Osric Dane's arrival."
Mrs. Roby took this rebuke good-humouredly. She had meant, she owned, to glance through the book; but she had been so absorbed in a nov
Diane
May 15, 2013 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent short story about a pompous group of lunching ladies who have dedicated themselves to culture and literature and the like. It's humorous because the women pretend they know more than they do and will have entire conversations professing opinions on topics they know nothing about. This story has cemented Edith Wharton as one of my favorite American writers.
Free download available at Project Gutenberg

Opening lines:
Mrs. Ballinger is one of the ladies who pursue Culture in bands, as though it were dangerous to meet alone. To this end she had founded the Lunch Club, an association composed of herself and several other indomitable huntresses of erudition. The Lunch Club, after three or four winters of lunching and debate, had acquired such local distinction that the entertainment of distinguished strangers became one of its accepted functions; in recog
Brenda
Apr 23, 2016 Brenda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No skipping on my part. I waded through. The book went swimmingly.

Read for 2016 Alphabet Challenge.
Anil
Oct 05, 2013 Anil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply amazing. I think I'm becoming an Edith Wharton fan.:)
Hajarath Prasad Abburu
What a satire!! What a laugh riot!!

Xingu is a social satire based upon a bunch of pretentious, self - praising ladies who are the members of one Lunch Club in a place called Hillbridge. On an uneventful day, they invite an author Osric Dane to attend their meet and address them. What follows is a rip roaring laughter riot. Read it!!

Thank you Srividya for recommending this book. I LOVED LOVED LOVED IT!!!

PS : The lunch club meetings reminded me the meetings of American Guild of Architects in Th
Tarah
Jan 30, 2011 Tarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wouldn't normally rate a short story by itself (away from the collection), but this one is hilarious... just genuinely funny as snobby lunch-club ladies get hoodwinked, but also funny in its biting criticism of, well, literary criticism and the way we read, interpret, approach, understand, and even define "literature." You get the sense that Wharton is also poking fun at herself, but surely the most obvious target of derision are literary critics. Obviously the irony is that now I *must* work ...more
Pink
All right, I admit it, I completely picked this book up because it started with the letter X for my alphabet challenge. That and it was extremely short. Admittedly I didn't have very high hopes, but I thought it was a great humorous short story. Glad my GR book groups are above Xingu discussions!
Susan
Feb 19, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I loved this witty and perceptive short story....
A group of ladies who lunch have invited a currently popular author to join them for one of their regular, high minded get-togethers.
We soon see that snobbery and competitiveness are rife among the members of this luncheon club, it's also apparent that even those women who have read their guest's latest book don't really understand it.
When the somewhat arrogant and self satisfied writer tries to displays her superior attitude, it's left to one of
Srividya
Hilarious! Highly recommended.

A brilliant satire on book clubs and ladies clubs by Edith Wharton that has you laughing as you read. This was my first by the author and I must say that I am looking forward to reading more by her.
Kathleen
How fun it was to watch the ladies’ Lunch Club in action, and enjoy the unraveling of this clever plot! The best part was Edith Wharton’s trademark descriptive similes peppered throughout, which may have stood out more in this short story than they do in her novels.

Just a few of my favorites:
“ … whose manner of putting forth an opinion was like that of an obliging salesman with a variety of other styles to submit if his first selection does not suit.”
“Mrs. Leveret felt like a passenger on an oce
Iniya
Oct 30, 2014 Iniya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a twist at the end.. hilarous read.. thoroughly enjoyed..:-) Thanks HP for recommending and forcing me to read this ..!!!
JOSE MARIA
Mar 01, 2016 JOSE MARIA rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
goo.gl/crCZZu Relato breve, escueto en sus descripciones, reflejando el proceder de sus personajes con maestría y todo ello con la calidad literaria de la autora.

Libro donde queda al descubierto toda la hipocresía de una sociedad (o al menos el de los componentes del Club del Almuerzo, aunque creo que se puede extrapolar), que buscan diferenciarse de la “plebe”, por medio de un grupo cultural erudito y elitista, y en donde la socia, en teoría, menos instru
Gail
Sep 20, 2014 Gail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Can't say too much about this book without giving away the plot, but it's a hilarious exposé of what is now known as 'book snobbery'.

A group of women have a lunch group where they discuss contemporary literature which is considered literary and serious. They constantly try to demonstrate their cultural superiority to each other - and particularly look down on a member of their group called Mrs Roby, who hasn't read the latest serious book they are supposed to read in preparation for a visit fro
Kathy
Nov 21, 2013 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For all of us who think too much of ourselves and what we have read.
Funny and true.
Vernice
Sep 23, 2015 Vernice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read, shorties
The only reason I read this was because of an a-z challenge. It wasn't as difficult or tedious as other classic fiction to me, but thank God it was so short.

Mildly entertaining and relatively easy to read, it wasn't a complete waste of time, but classics will never be my favorite. All the "ladies" were vapid and ridiculous, trying too hard to be someone they're not. I hate knowing that this kind of behavior was actually quite normal and indeed expected back in the day. I would much rather stick
Rebecca Scaglione
Xingu by Edith Wharton: I loved this short, classic novel. A group of six women engage in a Lunch Club with the point of basically being as pretentious as possible.

A famous author who they have all read, all but Mrs. Roby who is the outcast of the group, comes to one of their Lunch Club meetings. Osric Dane, the author, is so pretentious, so condescending, that she totally throws these polite, stuck up women off their game.

Mrs. Roby saves the day by bringing up the concept of Xingu, which the ot
K.
Jan 27, 2015 K. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious. No, not laugh out loud funny, but amusing in an ironical and semi-sarcastic way. About a 20 minute read, free on Kindle. About a very posh ladies lunch/book club and how their least favorite member makes them into fools. (It doesn't feel mean-spirited, just taking them down a peg, and it's way funny how smart she is about it).
Lourdes ILGR
Jan 30, 2016 Lourdes ILGR rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un relato muy bien estructurado e inteligente. Donde las protagonistas cobran especial importancia, pues a través de ellas, y con un cínismo que parece casual, la autora dejará en evidencia sus carencias culturales y les quitará la careta de cultivadas eruditas. Una crítica a la soberbia intelectual hecha con muy buen gusto y sentido del humor.

Rishabh Mishra
Highly recommended for those who have a very busy schedule as the book provides a lot to absorb in less than 50 pages, and of course,needless to mention,FUN!!
Ann Giammona
This short story by Edith Wharton had me chuckling all the way through. It relates the events at a meeting of The Lunch Club, "an association of ... several ... Indomitable huntresses of erudition. " Wharton skewers the pretentious members of the club as they struggle to one-up each other in discussion about "Xingu" when none know what Xingu actually is.
Wharton is deft in her characterizations and you will likely recognize each pompous lady as someone you have known or, like me, someone you may
Umi
Oct 01, 2015 Umi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the kind of sass I have come to love and expect from my main lady E Wharton
Misha
Oct 02, 2014 Misha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was fun :-D :-D
Literati Girl
Apr 29, 2016 Literati Girl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This short story is usually part of a collection entitled Xingu and Other Stories, but it is now also available by itself.

Edith Wharton's Xingu is a hilarious take on Ladies Book Clubs and luncheons.

Written in 1916, the story centres around a group of six ladies who regularly get together to discuss literature, even though some of the women do not even bother to read the books. And yet, their contributions are often somehow fitting.

When a famous guest author comes to town, nothing really goes to
Rita
Jun 29, 2015 Rita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excelente sátira sobre la lectura y su pedantería. Imprescindible.
Georgiana 1792
Apr 16, 2011 Georgiana 1792 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classici
Questo racconto è esilarante!
A volte, quando partecipo ad un Gruppo di Lettura e c'è qualche intervento particolarmente saccente, sorrido tra me e me e ripenso a questa short story.
E vorrei essere Mrs Roby, che preferisce scegliere le letture in base ai suoi gusti, anche se le "intellettuali" la considerano frivola, e gettare i libri "seri", e noiosi nello Xingu... :PPP
(Metaforicamente, sia chiaro, i libri sono sacri!)
Sarah Anne
Mar 22, 2016 Sarah Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this as part of the Ethan Frome and Selected Stories (B&N edition). I want to put it in here separately because I really loved it. The absurdity of a bunch of society ladies is unparalleled. I need to read this any time I need a good laugh :)
Renee M
This is now one of my favorite short stories! I love the subtlety of the revenge taken against the bullies of the book club! So so funny as they figure out how they have humiliated themselves. Just a brilliant piece of writing.
  • Tu, sanguinosa infanzia
  • The Library Window
  • Sheep Take a Hike
  • Il bell'Antonio
  • Architecture: A Very Short Introduction
  • Hans Brinker Silver Skates (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Gilded Six-Bits
  • Mr. Collins's Last Supper: A Short Story Inspired by Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • The Pickwick Papers, Volume I (Dodo Press)
  • Destruction d'un cœur
Edith Newbold Jones was born into such wealth and privilege that her family inspired the phrase "keeping up with the Joneses." The youngest of three children, Edith spent her early years touring Europe with her parents and, upon the family's return to the United States, enjoyed a privileged childhood in New York and Newport, Rhode Island. Edith's creativity and talent soon became obvious: By the a ...more
More about Edith Wharton...

“... it became clear to her observers that she was not quick at shifting her facial scenery. It was as though her countenance had so long been set in an expression of unchallenged superiority that the muscles had stiffened, and refused to obey her orders.” 1 likes
“A tremor of apprehension encircled the room. None of the ladies required any preparation to pronounce on a question of morals; but when they were called ethics it was different. The club, when fresh from the "Encyclopedia Brittanica," the "Reader's Handbook" or Smith's "Classical Dictionary," could deal confidently with any subject; but when taken unawares it had been known to define agnosticism as a heresy of the Early Church and Professor Froude as a distinguished histologist; and such minor members as Mrs. Leveret still secretly regarded ethics as something vaguely pagan.” 0 likes