Start by marking “And Still Peace Did Not Come: A Memoir of Reconciliation” as Want to Read:
And Still Peace Did Not Come: A Memoir of Reconciliation

And Still Peace Did Not Come: A Memoir of Reconciliation

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  21 reviews
When bullets hit Agnes Kamara-Umunna's home in Monrovia, Liberia, she and her father hastily piled whatever they could carry into their car and drove toward the border, along with thousands of others. An army of children was approaching, under the leadership of Charles Taylor. It seemed like the end of the world.

Slowly, they made their way to the safety of Sierra Leone. T
Published March 22nd 2011 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about And Still Peace Did Not Come, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And Still Peace Did Not Come

Chasing the Devil by Tim ButcherThings Fall Apart by Chinua AchebeWhy Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears by Verna AardemaA Long Way Gone by Ishmael BeahSegu by Maryse Condé
West Africa
6th out of 82 books — 28 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsAmong the Shrouded by Amalie JahnJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëRelics by Maer Wilson
Books with Strong Women Characters (All Genres)
183rd out of 418 books — 380 voters

More lists with this book...

Bug!
I read over some of the other reviews, several of which said Umunna's book was poorly written. While this book was not a work of literary genius, as a memoir I don't think it was intended to be. It reads like a woman sitting down to tell you her story, and in so doing sharing the stories of many whose lives we never would have otherwise heard about. Through her work and her book, Umunna has taught many that though we don't live in a hollywood movie of superhuman abilities and character growth th ...more
Brian
(4.0) Telling stories about telling stories to help rebuild a nation

Memoirs of a Liberian woman whose life is (through a roundabout path) devoted to healing the victims (and the perpetrators who were themselves victims) of the civil war that devastated her nation. She ran a radio show to enable Liberians to tell their stories from the war in order to heal. She also started a center for former child soldiers, outcasts after the war, to help them apologize, rehabilitate and heal with the rest of L
Kristen
I stumbled across this book by accident. I had come to the library for Leymah Brown's "Mighty Be Our Powers," and it was sitting next it on the shelf. I am so glad life brought me to it.

This is quite possibly one of the most important books to be written in our lifetime. We live in an era which is saturated with the legacy of guilt and pain carried down by our ancestors, a legacy which we continue to perpetuate today. As a citizen of the US, I cannot relate our pain to that of Liberia's, but I c
Florence Millo
And Still Peace Did Not Come by Agnes Kamara-Umunna

In 1990, Liberia plunged into the hell of 14 years of civil war. The war scarred every living soul in the country. Atrocities were committed by all sides and perhaps the worst atrocities of all were done by and to the children who were kidnapped, drugged, and forced to become child soldiers.

Eventually, the war ended with the country ravaged and the population decimated, mutilated, and devastated. How does one pick up a life and go on when so ma
Christina
This is a heart-breaking book to read, as it chronicles both the life of the author interspersed with interviews of victims and perpetrators of the horrible violence that was the 14-year civil war in Liberia. The author largely escaped the worst effects of the war, but ends up as a radio interviewer trying to bring peace to her country by talking about what really happened during the war years. One horrible statistic? By war's end, 75% of women in the country had been raped. Children were turned ...more
Wendy Cosin
After re-reading A Marker to Measure Drift (one of my favorite books) for book group, I looked for other books and films about the Liberian civil wars. And Still Peace Did Not Come provides personal stories of many Liberians who were devastated by over a decade of war. The author worked on her own and with the Truth and Reconciliation process to help the survivors. The book is well-organized, heartbreaking and interesting. And now they have Ebola.......
Melinda
Agnes Kamara-Umunna's And Still Peace Did Not Come is a compelling, heartbreaking and shocking account of the Liberian civil war and the use of children to fight on the front lines of this atrocious civil war. A must read for all to read first hand accounts of the barbarianism and impact war causes. Umunna gives hope for recovery, nonetheless this book takes your breath away with its brutality and abuse of so many innocent lives. Using children as soldiers is absolutely astonishing. A haunting p ...more
Danie P.
Not easy reading. Agnes grew up in Liberia and was in and out of the country during its war. After the war she found herself at a radio station broadcasting the stories of the child soliders who commited terrible acts against their loved ones and strangers alike.

People call to the show to commend the boys for speaking out, to condemn them for their acts or to share their own stores.

An excellent work of non-fiction.
Esther Bradley-detally
This was an excellent book, and I stumbled upon it. What a brave and incredible lady is Agnes Fallah Kamara-Umunna, and she shows what one human can do in the aftermath of madness and hooor. it is a memoir of reconciliation and as gloria Steinem said, "This book is a gift. Accept it." Two themes, unchecked inhumanity and humanity run through this riveting account. I think it is a very important book.
Jane
This book is riveting. Agnes Ummuna grants the reader the chance to view the complexity of war first-hand. We learn about her own experience with the war and her harrowing escape with her father as well as her attempts to later give voice to those who suffered the most during the war. She finds, over time, that even those considered "perpetrators" (ie, the child soldiers) were also victims.
Carolina
Stumbled upon this book at the library. Can't believe it was not already on my radar. Great resource for those that need more enlightenment, not only on the horrible atrocities committed upon citizens of many African countries, but also those that are trying to learn the gift of forgiveness and reconciliation in every day life. I learned a lot from this lady.
Cordelia
This book is by a Princeton in Africa Fellow Emily Holland who worked with Agnes Kamara-Umunna to tell the story of Liberia's civil war and the many autocracies that were perpetrated. Its about reconciliation and seems like an interesting impressive story from what I have read so far.
Rachel
Wow. Depressing as one would expect. I learned a lot about the 14 year long especially brutal civil war in Liberia but my complaint was that I felt the author often got in the way of the narrative. She was mostly spared the effects of war. Still worth reading.
Erica
I met Agnes through the agency I volunteer with & promptly ordered her book. She is an amazing, strong woman & leader for peace amongst Liberians. Read this book, and see many of her friends in a related documentary, "Pray the Devil Back to Hell."
Alyce
The story is compelling enough that this could have been a five star book. But the repetition and complete lack of insight, not to mention good writing, make this just another hohum selection. Where is Dave Eggers when you need him?
Loïs
I very much likes this book. Once I started reading I just wasn't able to stop. It tells a beautiful story, a breathe taking story. The writing itself was also great. What more can I say? I just loved it.
Janice
My daughter got this off the new book shelf at the library, but I ended up reading it. The writing isn't great at all, but I found this true story very interesting and educational.
Kara Freedman
Please see a full review on my blog, Freedman Travels: http://freedmantravels.wordpress.com/...
Niadwynwen Koch
I'm so grateful this was the book I chose off of the library shelf.
Ruth
A beautufully written memoir on the power of redemption and hope.
Kristi
Difficult but necessary read. Very powerful.
Emmi
Emmi is currently reading it
Dec 18, 2014
Gisela Hafezparast
Gisela Hafezparast marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Hoyadaisy
Hoyadaisy marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
kireja
kireja marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Verena
Verena marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Fifi
Fifi marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Dreams in a Time of War: A Childhood Memoir
  • The Last Hunger Season: A Year in an African Farm Community on the Brink of Change
  • Mighty Be Our Powers: How Sisterhood, Prayer, and Sex Changed a Nation at War
  • Tropical Fish: Tales From Entebbe
  • A Human Being Died That Night: A South African Woman Confronts the Legacy of Apartheid
  • Notes from My Travels: Visits with Refugees in Africa, Cambodia, Pakistan and Ecuador
  • The Great War in Africa: 1914-1918
  • Dancing Skeletons: Life and Death in West Africa
  • The Slave Girl
  • Not Just the Levees Broke: My Story During and After Hurricane Katrina
  • My First Coup d'Etat: And Other True Stories from the Lost Decades of Africa
  • The Beggars' Strike (Longman African Writers Series)
  • The Worlds of a Maasai Warrior: An Autobiography
  • Harvest of Thorns
  • Young Mandela: The Revolutionary Years
  • How to Write about Africa
  • Born in the Big Rains: A Memoir of Somalia and Survival
  • A House in Fez: Building a Life in the Ancient Heart of Morocco

“In life, we make the best decisions we can with the information we have on hand.” 11 likes
“Over time, I have come to believe that there is a killer and a saint in all of us. But...I choose to focus on the future and the *potential* in people.” 3 likes