Start by marking “The Natural Mystics: Marley, Tosh, and Wailer” as Want to Read:
The Natural Mystics: Marley, Tosh, and Wailer

The Natural Mystics: Marley, Tosh, and Wailer

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Over one dramatic decade, a trio of Trenchtown R&B crooners swapped their 1960s Brylcreem hairdos and two-tone suits for 1970s battle fatigues and dreadlocks to become the Wailers—one of the most influential groups in popular music. Colin Grant presents a lively history of this remarkable band from their upbringing in the brutal slums of Kingston to their first rec ...more
Published June 20th 2011 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published January 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Natural Mystics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Natural Mystics

Mark
Jun 30, 2011 Mark marked it as to-read
Shelves: music
I just found out about this book. And then I found a used copy! I am so looking forward to reading it.
Saw this "by accident" in the library and it jumped all the books in my reading queue. Quite interesting idea, part history of Jamaica, part travelogue, part biography, part meditation on friendship and what it means to be a black man. Prose is good, he keeps it fairly linear so we can follow his points. the opening chapter is well chosen to draw us into the story of how Jamaica has changed since the Wailers were started. Can't put it down so far...

Really enjoyed this book. The only thing I can
Carolyn
This is a compelling triple biography of Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, and Bunny Livingston-Wailer; plus a fascinating look into the culture of the Island nation of Jamaica, and its political history.

I only knew of the Wailers through their music - I was introduced to Reggae with Jimmy Cliff's movie 'The Harder They Come' in the early 70's and have loved reggae ever since. I learned from reading this historic account that the music I love is the 'acceptable', perhaps 'whitewashed' version of reggae.

I
Marika Alexander
This was a very interesting triple biography about the backgrounds of the three men who would come to be called the Wailers. And the conditions in Jamaica that led to their band, as well as how they have impacted the island and put it on the map. Truly, the Kings of Reggae! It's an easy and interesting read; my one complaint is there are a lot of analogies. Things like comparing the crime in Trench Town to pimples on a teenager's face. Other than that, it was a highly enjoyable read that gave me ...more
Racheal
While I think it's relevant to discuss the political and economic climate the Wailers were living in and how it shaped their personalities and their music, hardly any of this book was about the musicians themselves. His efforts to combine his vast knowledge of Jamaica's history with what little he knew about the band's history into one cohesive book was clumsy and made it hard to follow.
Laura Wood
This book tells the story of Marley, Tosh, and Wailer, while jumping around through 300 years of Jamaican history. It was a fascinating read, although sometimes it was a little confusing to keep the cast of characters straight. (Warning: I've been humming Redemption Song to myself for DAYS!)
Gary Lewis
One of the more comprehensive books written on Marley. Well researched with some interesting anecdotes about the great man and other influential people who made reggae great,
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Sapphire
Sapphire marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Hala
Hala marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Dawn Chapman
Dawn Chapman marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Tahmina
Tahmina marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
P
P marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
Jennybee
Jennybee marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
Olli
Olli marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
Nickey-Ann Leon
Nickey-Ann Leon marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2013
Torsten
Torsten marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2013
Kitty
Kitty is currently reading it
Aug 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The author of Negro with a Hat, a biography of Marcus Garvey, Colin Grant is an independent historian who works for BBC Radio. The son of Jamaican immigrants, he lives in London.
More about Colin Grant...
Negro with a Hat: The Rise and Fall of Marcus Garvey and His Dream of Mother Africa Bageye at the Wheel I & I: The Natural Mystics: Marley, Tosh and Wailer Myths We Live by Altruism and Christian Ethics