Modern-Day Vikings: A Pracical Guide to Interacting with the Swedes

Modern-Day Vikings: A Pracical Guide to Interacting with the Swedes

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A window into Swedish culture, "Modern Day Vikings: A Practical Guide to Interacting with the Swedes" examines Sweden's social model and underlying values. Christina Robinowitz and Lisa Carr provide a window into the Swedish heritage of self-sufficiency, fairness, egalitarianism and democracy, breaking through the stereotypes often associated with the country.
Published January 11th 2011 by Intercultural Press (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Modern-Day Vikings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Modern-Day Vikings

Isadora
I'm going to Sweden in a month for a foreign exchange program, and I was looking for a book like this to teach me a bit about the culture, so I could know what to expect and avoid some terrible faux pas. Modern Day Vikings was really helpful, I especially liked the way it linked Sweden's Viking past to their current equality and independence. Still, there were a couple of things I didn't love about the book:

1)It is very focused on doing business in Sweden, which is understandable, after all a l...more
Tanya
Not perfect, but very interesting! Though some years old it still gives a good idea of Sweden and its ways. As a part Swede I recognise a fair amount. It is very Swedish American, though, as the authors are of that kind of mix, and it would have been nice to have more comparisons with other cultures, but that may be too much to ask.
Linda
I bought this book to learn more about Swedish culture and how it compares to American culture. My Swedish exchange student also read this book, and she said it is a very accurate description of Swedes and how they are raised.
Joy Schumacher
Found this book helpful in understanding Swedish mentality and the subtleties of what makes Swedes different from Americans. I am looking forward to my husband reading this to get his perspective as he is Swedish.
AA
Apr 02, 2008 AA rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Americans and Swedes
Shelves: svensk
I borrowed this from a fellow Svenska Skolan student and it is really interesting. My understanding from the two guys in class who are married to Swedish women is that much of it is true.
Umugaba
A good introduction to swedish culture, life style
and history.

Highly recommanded for people who work with Swedes,
want to live in Sweden and or just curious
about Sweden.
Allison
This book covers all of the subtleties of Swedish culture in a very straightforward way. It's a fairly quick read. Great prep for my upcoming trip!!
Jeremy
Jan 22, 2009 Jeremy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wish-list, vpl
Maria recommends this one.

VPL has it as a digital online read.
Karen
All I can say, it explains my family.
SuperBabe
SuperBabe is currently reading it
Sep 11, 2014
Jac
Jac marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Max Nova
Max Nova marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Patsara Sophila
Patsara Sophila marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Ieva Jursevska
Ieva Jursevska is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2014
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Farid
Farid marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Dean
Dean added it
Feb 07, 2014
Magramtu
Magramtu is currently reading it
Dec 30, 2013
Mohsen
Mohsen marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Rodrigo Banzi
Rodrigo Banzi marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013