Homo Evolutis

Homo Evolutis

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  25 reviews
There have been at least 25 prototype humans. We are but one more model, and there is no evidence evolution has stopped. So unless you think Rush Limbaugh and Howard Stern are the be all and end all of creation, and it just does not get any better, then one has to ask what is next? Juan Enriquez and Steve Gullans, two of the world's most eminent science authors, researcher...more
Published January 25th 2011 by TEDBooks

Nisreen
As far as scientific books on extremely complicated subjects go, this book is excellent. It gives a good and comprehensible introduction about evolution, its possibilities, its future and man-made interventions in the process.
Yet there are two major problems with this publication:
The writers' style which, I guess, is supposed to mimic the style of the original TED presentation on which the whole book is based. In a presentation using short sentences mixed with multimedia and occasional jokes ca...more
Book
Homo Evolutis by Juan Enriquez and Steve Gullans

Homo Evolutis is not your typical book, it's more like a presentation of fascinating facts. This short book is about the next prototype human, Homo Evolutis. The authors in sharp-shooting fashion shoot scientific facts about their theory while immersing humor more akin to pranksters. It's interesting, it's mind-blowing science and it works. The short book of 58 pages is composed of seven chapters.

Positives:

1. The theory of a new species, Homo Ev...more
Peter Kempenich
Save your money...as e-books go...this "book" is a joke. A bare outline of current technological work and trends/speculations on speciation.
Marios
Watch some of Juan Enriquez presentations and you may notice the following: Short sentence. Pause. Short sentence. Silence. Then a fact(quote, picture or number) is introduced and the audience laughs.
More into his talk and again: short sentence, pause, short sentence, silence. Fact. Only this time the audience remains silent. In wonder, disbelief, awe. Of that mindboggling scientific discovery that was just revealed. And casually and calmly the speaker goes on to say this happened in that lab, i...more
George
SO WHAT?

"We can be certain of one thing: The technologies and changes we are talking about are so powerful that they are changing humanity itself."

Of the eight TED Books I’ve read to date, Juan Enriquez and Steve Gullans’s ‘Homo Evolutis’ is the least of them. It’s written in an annoying, ‘cutesy,’ style; and it’s major premise, that we Homo Sapiens are not the ‘be all, end all’ that some fundamentalist ‘whackos’ might think we are—and that some day our species, too, will pass into oblivion, lik...more
María  Sanz
Un libro con una tematica muy interesante, pero con una estructura, ciertamente desconcertante, varios parrafos formados por una sola palabra, diferentes tipos y tamaños de letras, desde enormes y en negrita, hasta otras diminutas que ocupan una pequeña esquina de la pagina, en definitiva un caos. Muy dificil de leer a causa de esto, pero tremendamente original y despliega un gran sentido del humor para tratar temas bastante áridos, lo que se agradece bastante.
Muy recomendable.
Maciej
TED- super! Książki na podstawie TEDa- jeszcze lepiej!

No właśnie nie do końca. Temat ciekawy, w środku też trochę interesujących informacji, ale...

Matko Boska Żartobliwa, kto to składał! Gdzie był redaktor, kiedy wypuszczali do sklepu tą książkę?! 3 do 4 różnych rozmiarów czcionek na jednej stronie. Akapity w losowych miejscach. 15-to stronicowy wstęp o tym jacy to kreacjoniści są głupi (każdy to wie - po co pisać o tym przez 15 stron, które można zapełnić ciekawymi informacjami). Naprawdę, nie...more
James Rumsby
This book is not for the fain-hearted as it's written in an unusual format perhaps more suitable to comic-book perhaps.

Don't be put off by this though as once into the book the format is quite fitting...just be aware of this.

Great book with some interesting ideas...sorry no spoilers...
Thomas Llama
Science, good science, is not in the business of disproving anything. It's not a tool for deciding who's right or wrong, and it's especially not a bludgeon for belittling those who understand less than you do. This book exemplifies what a book about science shouldn't be: condescending, obtuse and shamefully dictatorial. As I've written before, no one will be brought over from the dark side by this blunt object of a book. I am happy to have removed it from my Kindle. Not recommended.
Emanuela
Lo consiglio a chi non ha tempo di leggersi Nature o Science la mattina a colazione per sapere cosa sta succededendo nei laboratori di tutto il mondo dopo la mappatura del genoma umano.
Sono ricerche e pratiche che conducono a possibili evoluzioni della specie "homo sapiens" che, volenti o nolenti, stanno già avvenendo sotto i microscopi ma anche sotto i nostri stessi occhi.
Gli autori non fanno mancare occasioni di discussioni sull'etica che questa scienza provoca relativamente alle possibili ap...more
Andy
Not a bad read, but not all that interesting either. I met the central thesis, that homo sapiens are evolving into a new species, with a big "so what?" The only way this is a shocking premise is if you believe that humans exist outside of the natural world. If you know that humans are mammals that have evolved significantly then it makes it inevitable that humans will eventually evolve into a new species.
Ben
Enriquez is exactly suited to my style, uber-geeky humor, seemingly wild optimism about our potential, but best of all, robust footnotes to study after study giving the reader better grounds from which to judge each claim. Because of the subject matter, I'd recommend it to everyone I know.
Chris Davis
A mind-opening look at how humans have evolved in he past and how humans may evolve in the future. The question is raised if human beings may begin to design our own evolution. Fun read...short and sweet.
Jamie
Fascinating and thought-provoking, although it did seem to stray into discussing the use of drugs and surgeries that effect only the phenotype (and as such probably wouldn't have any evolutionary effect).
Ken
Interesting and easy-to-read discussion on some of the drivers behind the concept of the Singularity and how it could influence our evolutionary path.
Juliana
Just about the size of a large article but jam-packed with things to think about. I'm looking forward to more of these short-form ebooks.
Booyaa
not so much a book, but a conversion of presentation slides. interesting and though provoking in bitesized form.
Noura Noman
As usual Juan Enriquez scratches the surface of the shape of things to comes - and keeps us on tenter hooks.
Dan
Interesting stuff and a fascinating read. Looking forward to the full book when it's released....
Humbleopinion
powerpoint on steroids, without the animation. Nothing you haven't read already.
Edward Patience
Horrible... great idea destroyed by treating a book like a PowerPoint presentation
Tara
Fascinating!! I enjoyed the authors' thought processes and the information they cited.
Ribhu Rathore
some amazing eye popping statistics ! a great read..
Joey
i can't wait for the future
Manda
Fascinating stuff!
Jennifer Stone
Researched for it!
Majeed
Mind blowing stuff
Peter Tilke
Peter Tilke marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Kayed Al-qasimi
Kayed Al-qasimi marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
As the Future Catches You: How Genomics & Other Forces Are Changing Your Life, Work, Health & Wealth The Untied States of America: Polarization, Fracturing, and Our Future As the Future Catches You: How Genomics and Other Forces Are Changing Your Life, Work, Health, and Wealth Evolving Ourselves: How Unnatural Selection and Nonrandom Mutation are Changing Life on Earth Homo Evolutis

“Recent studies suggest we are already in a period of extreme disequilibrium. Over the past 10,000 years human evolution has occurred 10-100x faster than at any other time in our species history.121” 0 likes