Start by marking “The Guy I'm Not Dating” as Want to Read:
The Guy I'm Not Dating

The Guy I'm Not Dating

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  424 ratings  ·  50 reviews
"Yowza!" exclaims Kara Richardson when she sees the handsome proprietor of the new delicatessen in town, Gabe Paolino-who soon expresses mutual interest. This would be the start of a perfect love story, except for one thing-Kara has vowed to stop dating until she feels God's leading. But when humorous circumstances send Kara and Gabe on a road trip to Florida, hope springs...more
Published August 15th 2006 by Harvest House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Guy I'm Not Dating, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Guy I'm Not Dating

Redeeming Love by Francine RiversA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversThe Yada Yada Prayer Group by Neta JacksonAn Echo in the Darkness by Francine RiversThe Master's Plan A Novel About Purpose by Stephany Tullis
Christian Chick Lit
53rd out of 414 books — 421 voters
The Negotiator by Dee HendersonDanger in the Shadows by Dee HendersonThe Guardian by Dee HendersonTrue Devotion by Dee HendersonOne Tuesday Morning by Karen Kingsbury
Christian Contemporary Romance Favorites
127th out of 384 books — 289 voters

More lists with this book...

Tina
Judy
3.5 stars. This book a good, not amazing, but good. I liked the idea of it, but it just didn't quite fulfill my expectation on what it could be like.
Kara has recently decided that she is going to have a new "no-dating" rule for her life, but when she meets Gabe she suddenly feels that decision couldn't have come at a worse time.
I like the idea behind it; in getting to know someone as friends before dating. I think it is important to be friends, because once you're married the infatuation level...more
Whitney
I really wanted to not like this book, but I ended up thinking it was okay. If you don't have a boyfriend right now and are Christian, try this! It has some good messages... I mean I think a lot of it is kind of cheesy and I skipped over the prayers, but I think getting to know someone and work to be friends first is such a good message for any Christian girl.
Erin
This is the wonderful book in the "Christian romance" genre. Do not judge this book by it's cover! This would be a great book for dating teenagers or anyone dating. This is a great, easy read fiction.
Merredith
I read this book in one day, January 1st, just sitting at home on recovery day. It was a pretty quick read. Half way through, i thought it was a sequel to a not well remembered book, What a Girl Wants by Kristin Billerbeck. Now I see, obviously that they are by two different authors and have nothing to do with each other, but both being about christian women who belong to singles groups who hang out at applebees, i got confused. This is a christian chick lit book about a woman who was dumped by...more
Kristine
Sometimes you finish a book and you struggle really hard to remember why/how in the world it ended up on your "to read" list in the first place forever ago. At least I do, and I did with "The Guy I'm Not Dating." I find the title to this one particularly apt, as it is just about literally 342 pages of Kara Richardson reminding herself and the reader and all of her friends that Gabe is the perfection of man that she is not dating. I imagine I saw this was Christian chick-lit boasting of a road tr...more
Title: THE GUY I’M NOT DATING
Author: Trish Perry
Publisher: Harvest House
2006
ISBN: 0-7369-1872-8
Genre: contemporary romance

Kara Richardson has sworn off dating. She’s made some mistakes with men she thought were good Christian men and when someone at her church said something about not dating and giving friendship a try first, Kara jumped at the idea. But no sooner than she makes her decision than she runs into Gabe Paolino’s deli to get out of a rainstorm. Gabe is seriously the best looking man...more
Esther
If you are looking for a book that is Christian and focused on God, with a good mix of down right humor, this is an awesome book that collaborates all of these components.

Kara Richardson is a character that anyone can relate to when it comes to relationships. The author brings the perspective that anyone you can't function as a best friend with, especially as foundation for marriage, probably isn't marriage material. Or at least, isn't for you or is God's plan for you.

Very encouraging for anyo...more
Audrey
I got this book because I saw some good reviews on it, but honestly, I'm just not digging it. I tried to like it, but the characters and situations are so contrived and phony and unrealistic and mushy and...well, you probably get the point. The main character is always supposed to be getting herself into awkward, funny scenarios, but all I can think of is really? And then there's this way-too-perfect guy...
I'll finish it because I feel obligated, or maybe I'm just hoping for a sudden amazing twi...more
Trish
Decent premise and I liked the main characters, but Gabe was just a little too perfect, and Kara came off as rather shallow. Felt like the first in a series (and that the author was just setting the stage for sharing more about Ren and Jeremy). The slapstick comedy was overdone and some of the dialogue seemed juvenile for twenty-somethings. Lots of evangelizing as Kara is chatting with the younger sister of her "non-boyfriend" which felt rather artificial. Don't regret reading it, but won't be r...more
Adair
Nov 17, 2008 Adair rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: an athiest as a joke
I really liked a lot of this book. There were quite a few humorous moments that made me smile. I liked the characters but for the love of Pete! Talk about preachy and did they convert everyone in the book? I am a Christian myself and attend church regularly which is why I don't need to be preached to in my spare time. I almost put down the book a couple of times b/c there were so many darn prayers in the thing. Hallaluja, I finished it. I don't think I will read another one of her books though.
Andrea
I really wanted to love this book -- I respect and appreciate the message behind it -- but I didn't. This is partly because I'm too old for this book (better fit for committed Christians in their late teens and early 20s) and partly because I felt that it lacked substance / content; two people attempting not to date turned out to be too flimsy a premise on which to base an entire novel. I see that other reviewers found it to be really funny; I guess I just have a different sense of humor.
Jasmine
I had such a fun time with "The Guy I'm Not Dating". Kara's awkwardness was funny and super relatable. Yeah, everything seemed to be picture perfect for the most part and kinda unrealistic for how well everything worked out but I had such a great time reading this. I'm a Christian and I've never read a fiction christian book before. I can imagine how overboard some books could get but I thought the God centered parts of this story were perfect. Loved it.
Stacey Patrick
I read the book in a day and a half. That alone states what an amazing piece of literature that this book is. The book is a true reflection of the whole "not dating" thing that we can strive for in our own lives. Are their short comings? Yes. Is their flaws? Of course. The characters are seen striving for purity, desire to pursue waiting, and put God first above the sensuality.
Danielle
I don't really have much say about this book, but from reading the story it kept a steady flow and I found the comical elements like the character 'Addie' great fun. The only critisism that I would have is that at times there was a bit too much chatting between the characters about nothing in particular but overall a great read. I would recommend it!
January
This was the typical chick lit but it had too much praying for me. I mean, the characters would actually hold hands and pray in each chapter. Don't get me wrong; there's nothing wrong w/ being a Christian. I just didn't know that the underlying theme of the book was in Christianity. It was a bit intense for a supposed light read.
Kristen
Cute Christian read. What I liked about it is how up front they were in their relationship. No beating around the bush. No lack of communication, like so many novels do. Some funny parts that I lol at. Cute & clean.

Moral Note: There was brief talk about an affair. Clean romance, clean language.
Stephanie Gaunt
I really enjoyed this one. I find dating in today's world nearly impossible. This book was delightfully light-hearted about dating, but had such a serious undertone. All the while the antics that the group of people get into along the way had me in stitches!
Jane
Jun 17, 2009 Jane rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
Thought it was cute! Maybe not a total page turner, but interesting all the same. Almost makes me want to read Joshua Harris' book again since this book references his book, although if I remember correctly only about half of Harris' book was interesting.
April JoAnne
It's okay for a fluff book without much substance. Pretty heavy on the religious theme which doesn't put me off too much but I just found the story to be very predictable and the characters to be a bit too unrealistic as is common for chick lit.
Saralyn
This book cracked me up. I chuckled the whole way through. Addie is definitely my favorite character. The writing style wasn't my favorite, but the humor more than made up for any irritation I had from it.
Christy Wyndham
I absolutely loved this book. I laughed from the first chapter all the way to the end. Very light hearted and fun. I've since read almost all of Trish Perry's novels and I have never been disappointed.
Koleen
Aug 29, 2007 Koleen added it
Recommends it for: Adult women or teenage girls
Great book. Very sweet ending that brought me to tears. A great read for young teenagers starting out dating. Great roll model for dating Christian men. Also just a fun romance for all women.
Tamela
Jun 21, 2007 Tamela rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Chicks who love chick lit!
Anyone who loves Christian chick lit will adore watching Kara "not" date Gabe until they both find the surprise of their lives.

This is just the cutest Christian chick lit book ever! A must-read!!
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
This is a Christian romance novel. This book was hilarious! The girl is on a no dating run when she runs into this guy who, of course, is perfect for her. Great ending.
Chel ♪
This ia a Really cute Chick-Lit I thought It was well written and funny to watch Kara not date Gabe.
I would recommed it if you like a cute christian chick-lit.
Lacy
Probably a 3.5. I can tell this was her first book. Cute storyline but a little unbelievable and a rather "churchy" for me. But I really like her as an author.
Alison
At first I was thinking "yeah sure, got nothing else to read", but it turned out to be one of the greatest books I have ever read. I laughed so much!
Kimi
This was a fluffy Christian romance novel but I thought that the author made some really good comments about dating and life in general.
Kaleena
Great book! I can totally picture myself doing some of the same things Kara did in this book. Funny, cute, I couldn't put it down! :-)
  • The Whitney Chronicles
  • The Cubicle Next Door
  • Perfecting Kate
  • Split Ends: Sometimes the End Is Really the Beginning
  • Miss Invisible
  • Stand-In Groom (Brides of Bonneterre #1)
  • Consider Lily
  • Match Point (Lauren Holbrook, #3)
  • Taming Rafe (Noble Legacy #2)
  • Sisters, Ink
  • That's -Not Exactly- Amore (Drama Queen #3)
Too Good To Be True The Perfect Blend (Tea with Millicent) Beach Dreams (The Beach House #3) Tea for Two (Tea with Millicent) Sunset Beach (The Beach House #4)