Christian Mystics: 365 Readings and Meditations

Christian Mystics: 365 Readings and Meditations

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Spiritual maverick Matthew Fox believes that through the ages religious patriarchal hierarchy and rigidity have obscured Christianity’s most beneficial and essential teachings: those that arise out of personal, mystical experiences of the Divine. A true religious renewal, according to Fox, can arise only through the mystical dimension of faith. In Christian Mystics, he off...more
Published February 1st 2011 by New World Library

Truth
Jun 22, 2012 Truth added it
Shelves: do-not-read
Matthew Fox's new age doctrine is an incoherent mix of pluralism that holds relativity at the highest level and nothing as absolute. Finding the holes in his story won't be hard...if Christ isnt at the center as the savior for our sins ..a Red Flag should go up! This is New Age philosophy at its best:

The New Age movement is a Western spiritual movement that developed in the second half of the 20th century. Its central precepts have been described as "drawing on both Eastern and Western spiritual...more
Phila Hoopes
I came to Matthew Fox's work like many ex-Catholics, having tossed the spiritual baby out with the dogmatic bathwater and moved on to pursue Spirit through other paths. His work, particularly in Christian Mystics, has reaffirmed for me that there is worth and beauty and true inspiration even in the Christian tradition. It is found in the voices of those who speak for the people, for the earth, for the heart's direct perception of Spirit, for oneness with the Cosmos, for the strength found in dar...more
Tami
Christian Mystics contains a year’s worth of quotation from some of the best know Christian mystics. These individuals range from historical figures such as Thomas Aquinas and Francis of Assisi to more modern contributions from Dorothee Soelle and Nana Veary. For the most part, quotations are grouped according by author. However, there are also random entries spread throughout.

Each individual entry includes a quote followed by a bit of discussion. This discussion is an interpretation of the quot...more
Victoria Gaile
I wanted to like this book; I like the format of the daily meditation book, have some interest in Christian mystics, and am intrigued by what I've read of Fox's work.

Alas, his "commentaries" on the excerpted quotes of various mystics are little more than restatements, and the selected quotes didn't appeal to me. I gave up after a week or so of sampling the book every day.

And on a logistical note, I expected 365 readings to be labelled by month and day, not by day number. Sheesh, I had to do math...more
Kate
I give this book props for helping me grok the divine energy of the Trinity. That's why I give it three stars. That's not an easy nut to crack. However, I ditched it because some of the mystics he quoted read more like theologians than proclaimers of mystical wisdom. Not to say people can't be both, just - heck, I couldn't understand Kant without help and I couldn't quite get that stuff either. Plus I found the author's political/social interpretation of the quotes intrusive.
Robin
4+ - some of the quotations were dry and some of the interpretations were just repitious. Overall, however, I found it to be refreshing - it takes spirituality out of the box people often try to put it in and expands the meaning to something that is inclusive and experiential.
Sean
Sean is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Crugee
Crugee added it
Jun 16, 2014
Audrey
Audrey marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Clif
Clif marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Geri Coleman
Geri Coleman marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Bambi Dean
Bambi Dean is currently reading it
May 05, 2014
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Renée
Renée marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Novella
Novella marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Cecelia
Cecelia marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Matthew Fox (born 1940) is an American Episcopal priest and theologian. He is an exponent of Creation Spirituality, a movement grounded in the mystical philosophies of medieval visionaries Hildegard of Bingen, Thomas Aquinas, Meister Eckhart and Nicholas of Cusa. His books have sold millions of copies and by the mid 1990s had a "huge and diverse following".
More about Matthew Fox...
Original Blessing The Coming of the Cosmic Christ Meditations with Meister Eckhart Creativity Creation Spirituality: Liberating Gifts for the Peoples of the Earth