Start by marking “The Warrior: Caleb (Sons of Encouragement, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Warrior: Caleb (Sons of Encouragement, #2)

The Warrior: Caleb (Sons of Encouragement #2)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  1,470 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Behind the men who shaped history are the heroes who forever changed it. In The Warrior, beloved author Francine Rivers illuminates the life of Caleb, a man whose faith and zeal for God helped lead God's people into the Promised Land. Discover a man full of passion, humility, and faith; a man who encouraged Joshua and stood strong in the face of sin. The Warrior also inclu ...more
Published January 28th 2006 by Tyndale House (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Warrior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Warrior

Kim
I enjoyed reading the details of a story I had previously read before, in a different light and from a different standpoint. The reality of the daily struggle of sin was depicted so well in the story of Caleb, and how a person with integrity and so many characteristics I admire, fought this struggle to not let sin take control.

"Sin crouches at the entrance of my heart waiting to devour me. I must fight against it. Oh, how I must fight the fire in my blood."

I realise how I had glossed over and mi
Reena Jacobs
Expect my review on my website 9/27/2010 at http://reenajacobs.com/blog/2010/09/n...

I’m not sure if it’s because I have a little writing under my belt or what, but I didn’t enjoy this one as much as my other Francine River reads. The novella had a lot of information chunks thrown at me. This is alright for the bible, but not okay for a fictional story, even if it is based upon the bible. At least in my mind.

I also wasn’t very fond of Caleb. He had an air of superiority. No one could satisfy him,
Mandy J. J.
MY REVIEW:

The Warrior tells the story of a man whom we usually only remember for his service as a spy. In this mix of fiction and biblical fact we see the depth of this amazing man who followed after God.

I greatly appreciate the wonderful balance that Francine Rivers keeps in her writing. She stays true to the biblical account while adding just enough to make the story flow as she probes their thoughts and feelings. Caleb comes to life in a way each person can relate to in one way or the other.

I
Ellen
All I know of Caleb is the faithful stance he took beside Joshua after "spying" on the promised land. This book creates a plausible life experiences that lead up to that confident statement of faith. I never gave much thought to the Egyptians that left alongside the former-slave nation of Israel, nor did I realize Caleb was not part of Judah by blood. Although he longed for the peaceful life of a farmer, it seems Caleb was destined for war all his days. First struggling to temper his firey Edomi ...more
Micah
This book helped make scripture come alive for me. I am a much better reader of characters and fiction, so this book was wonderful for me and helped me contemplate what Caleb would have done during the 40 years in the wilderness. I have bought the other books in the series and will read very soon!
Veronica
Another powerful and moving book. This one reinforced the spiritual message I received from reading 'The Priest' which I realize was completely a God thing. A great read for anyone who loved the first book or would like a deeper look at the life of Caleb.
Sherri
( ●—● ) Evelynn
I think my rating is more like a 3.5, the reason being the events closer to the end of the book.

I really liked the first...oh, two-thirds to three-fourths of the book. But near the end, Rivers started portraying Caleb with sort of a grumpy attitude. I didn't like that at all. Before, Caleb was a warrior of no complaints, one of the spies who told the people not to fear going into Canaan and taking the land, for the Lord was with them. But near the end (to me, at least), it seemed like he was mor
Dalaina May
Let's just say that after reading this novella, my 4th son very nearly was named Caleb. What a fabulous explanation for a familiar story. There was so much that I learned about Hebrew history and genealogy. I couldn't believe that I hadn't heard all of it before and wondered if maybe it was embellished a great deal. Nope. After doing my own research, I realized that the author just did a killer job of making history, ancient culture, and biblical narrative come to life that is almost felt like a ...more
Anna Meyer
Again, a new light on the Exodus, from Caleb's perspective. So interesting, and it led me right back to the word!
Nicole
The sequel to book one was very good. This book convinced me to keep reading. The story of Caleb, was well written. Rivers did a lot of research on Caleb and the nuances of his story are simplly amazing. The story is well crafted inside the Biblical framework. Well done!! From this book forward, I was able to identify with the main characters and pray that my heart would be like theirs were. If you like Biblical history and want to have an understand of how the people could have felt, or why the ...more
Diana
This novella brought a fictional account of the Exodus to life. Quick read.
Terrie
From the Old Testament. Lots of war and fighting. Good message.
Kimberly
I've read the Old Testament, and books about the Old Testament, many times. Both fact and fiction.

This book gives a fictional account of the Exodus of Israel from Egypt. The unique perspective of the novel is that of Caleb, an Egyptian who chose exile with the Israelites over staying in his own country. I thought the book was fantastic - I learned a lot looking at the situation as a whole from this perspective. I highly recommend this to anyone interested in Christian Historical Fiction or just
Gloria
The second book of five follows Caleb , contemporary of Joshua. The author notes in the beginning that she uses the story provided by the Bible as a skeleton/ outline/foundation and then fills in the rest with action, dialogue, internal motivations, and additional characters that she believes are consistent with the biblical record.

In both this book and the first book, the author attributes New Testament ideas to her characters, whether through internal motivations, or the visions of old men.
Katrina
Not excellent writing, but pretty good, and it definitely captured the passion Caleb must have had for his religion. I'm not sure that I agree completely on the author's portrayal of him, but she made me turn back to the Bible to remember what we actually know about Caleb. It's not much, but what the author didn't guess at, she got spot on. And it also gave me a slightly different perspective on the children of Israel (and therefore God's reasons for treating them as He did), which I appreciated ...more
Melody Rensberger
This is a book from the point of view of Caleb during the Old Testament exodus, leading up to the capture of Canaan, the promised land. Even though all of River's books are fiction, this one was less believable than others. Don't get me wrong, Caleb is a stud, but the background information changes my picture of him. But only 195 tiny pages, so its worth reading to experience the author's perspective of the story.

For a longer review go to
Meadow
Behind the mightly Joshua, was a man of faith and sword: Caleb.

He strived to be accepted in the Judah clan, but was rejected due to his nationality, even though he was distantly related to them.

This was amazing!! It really moved me with how much the people constantly turned from God, making you determined to follow him all the time.
We will fail the the Israilites, but like then, he will always accept us when we come back to Him. But nothing goes unpunished.
Lisa Beth
I love Caleb. We gave our son the middle name of Caleb in the hopes that he would stand for God, even if no one else did. This is not my favorite Francine Rivers book, though she is still one of my favorite authors. Just like Unashamed, this book made me slow down and really think about this story that I've read so many times before. She helped me imagine it better and appreciate it more. Good book!
Brian
Not at all what I was expecting. It really started to annoy me with the way the people were acting and then I thought you know this is probably how Moses felt!! It was a good book to help remind me of the story and add a lot more details that I had either forgotten or didn't know. It was fun to see it all from what might have been Caleb's point of view, but was a bit slow.
Tricia Abernathy
Wonderful book! A real page turner, except it can be a little deep into the genealogy. But I will definitely be reading more of these books for sure! Very glad this author decided to go into detail with the Old Testament felt like I was there. Interested in going into detail to see all the parts that are true, may take a lot of time but I'm excited:)
Matthew Bushnell
Thought I'd give Francine Rivers a go as I had not read any of her work previously. This is pretty much the biblical account of the life of Caleb, obviously with a but of license to fill the "holes" in biblical data on Caleb. overall the book was OK, but certainly not gripping. I will try the rest of the series though.
Andrea
It was really neat to view biblical events in this manner. The people and events were brought to life with thoughts, feelings, motives, fears, and histories all their own. I've heard and read these stories many times in my life but this is the first time I feel like I really understand what happened and why.
Gail
This book came into my hands at a time I most need the testimony of Caleb's life. Oh Lord you are merciful. I especially love how the words taken right out of Scripture came alive. The study guide at the end is valuable to me. I dog-eared every page of Scripture. i must reread it.
Christina
This was my favorite in the Sons of Encouragement series! I can say that anything written by Francine Rivers (after she became a christian) is a wonderful read. Her biblical & hystorical accuracy is awesome & brings stories that we all have heard before to life.
Joy DeKok
We all need a Caleb in our lives - a friend willing to encourage us and do battle with/for us. Francine Rivers reveals Caleb's character and faith, and yet never steals his friend Joshua's place in history or the mind of the reader.

Kathleen Knoop
A little graphic for me...I had a hard time with all the battle "Scenes", especially when they went into details about the pregnant women being murdered...being that I am pregnant...it was tough for me.
Micah
this book is my favourite of all the novella series. Its tells of a great period in the Bible with exciting stories and a warrior named Caleb. Made me want to join the tribe of Judah.
Gary
Jan 22, 2009 Gary rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: onw with a interest in biblical background.
Shelves: fiction-biblical
A well writen fiction about Caleb of the Bible, a friend of Joshua.
Francine Rivers is the best at this type of story telling that Ihave read.
  • Fourth Dawn (A.D. Chronicles #4)
  • The Hidden Flame (Acts of Faith, #2)
  • Among the Gods (Chronicles of the Kings, #5)
  • Dreamers (Legacies of the Ancient River #1)
  • Song of Redemption (Chronicles of the Kings, #2)
  • The Last Disciple
  • Deborah's Story (Women of the Bible)
  • Dark Hour
  • Bathsheba (The Wives of King David #3)
New York Times best-selling author Francine Rivers began her literary career at the University of Nevada, Reno, where she graduated with a bachelor of arts degree in English and journalism. From 1976 to 1985, she had a successful writing career in the general market, and her books were highly acclaimed by readers and reviewers. Although raised in a religious home, Francine did not truly encounter ...more
More about Francine Rivers...
Redeeming Love A Voice in the Wind (Mark of the Lion, #1) An Echo in the Darkness (Mark of the Lion, #2) The Atonement Child As Sure as the Dawn (Mark of the Lion, #3)