Start by marking “Demons of Air and Darkness” as Want to Read:
Demons of Air and Darkness

Demons of Air and Darkness (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  391 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Once they moved from world to world in a single step, through innumerable doors that spanned the galaxy. They were masters of space, and to those who feared them, they were demons of air and darkness. But long ago they left their empire and their miraculous technology behind. Now someone has found the key to it, and all those doors have been flung open.

Gateways ~ Demons O
Mass Market Paperback, 1st, 288 pages
Published August 28th 2001 by Pocket Books/Star Trek

To ask other readers questions about Demons of Air and Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Demons of Air and Darkness

A well-written book held down by a ludicrously absurd premise from a couple of not-great TNG episodes.

This is more of a 3.5 book for me.

I generally enjoyed the first half of it. But as soon the time shift started I thought that should have been two boks on there own.

The characters are still as great as they have been for the firts three novels in the series and I did enjoy to see some of the relationships and especially friednships develop some more. ( Nog and Shar as well as Quark and Ro Laren)

The plot as I stated was really good for he
Star Trek. Deep Space Nine. What more could you possibly want? :)
The Gateways are causing pollution to kill the planet Europa Nova, and DS9 has to organise the evacuation. Quark is asked to negotiate on the Orion Syndicates behalf for the use of the Gateways. This is a fun book with some great character moments, particularly Quark and Kira. There is quite a bit of politics in this book, as people have to be persuaded to help the planet. It ends on a cliffhanger. A good read.
This is an excellent entry in the "Gateways" line of books and a very good entry in the Deep Space Nine relaunch series. As with all the Gateways books, this one annoyingly ends on a cliffhanger to be continued in the final book. The novel does pick up where The Next Generation's book finished, only without the resolution to the before-mentioned cliffhanger. The makers of the gateways are "unmasked" the numbers of chaotic events happening is increasing with in numbers and severity. In this case, ...more
A nice, solid entry in the Gateways series, but I definitely appreciate this novel more for its continuation of the story of Deep Space Nine than for the Petraw story. Seeing the DS9 characters come together to save the Europa Nova colony is a great story, and let us be honest, seeing a Jem'Hadar face off against a Hirogen is pretty darn cool. Great writing that kept me engrossed through the ending (which, of course, is a cliffhanger to be resolved in What Lay Beyond).

Full review: http://trekli
Joe Hempel
This book and the story Horn and Ivory comprised the final books in the "Twist of Faith" Omnibus.

They were also part of the "Gateways" books, that had one book from each series.

Not really much to say about it except it was fantastic. Just the way characters are fleshed out and taken in different directions really made the book hold up for me.

Especially Lauren Ro and Shar. You just have to read to find out about Lauren Ro, I was not expecting what I read!
John Wilson
The Ultimate "A fool and his money are soon parted" cashgrab from the Pocket Books Star Trek line - a line of poorly connected novels, each one without a last chapter that is to be collected in a later book.

I'm just as culpable having bought two of the damn things.
Excellent entry in the ongoing DS9 season 8 narrative. New characters are introduced, old characters have their plotlines advanced, and we the readers get to bear witness to a fight between a Hirogen and a Jem-Hadar!
Bill Sweet
It was...okay. I never like things that end on a cliffhanger, without giving us something in return. I wasn't interested in the Gateways concept, but picked this up because it's part of the DS9 relaunch.
A Deep Space Nine novel set directly between Section 31 Abyss and Gateways 7 which continues to Twilight (DS9 Mission Gamma, Book 1) in a straight arc.

This was well doe and engaging. =)
My least favorite of the Gateways series, though that might have something to do with the fact that I wasn't much of a fan of the relaunched DS9 series, or of the Hirogen.
Benjamin Plume
I give this one an automatic bump over the others because it was in the DS9 Relaunch, which hasn't disappointed yet.
Annoyingly, the endings of all the books in the series are in 'What Lay Beyond'.
Das Buch ist ok! Wie ich finde ist es aber das bisher schwächste Buch der DS9-Reihe!
Pretty good cliff hanger. Decent read, could've been better.
Ohne die letzten 20% wären glatte fünf Sterne drin gewesen.
What happened to Jake Sisko?
Tommy Verhaegen
Tommy Verhaegen marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Melth marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Crystal Bensley
Crystal Bensley marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Lexie added it
Nov 01, 2015
Scott Fox
Scott Fox is currently reading it
Oct 28, 2015
Matthew Schrick
Matthew Schrick marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Ryan added it
Nov 05, 2015
  • Doors Into Chaos (Star Trek: Gateways, #3)
  • No Man's Land (Star Trek: Voyager: Gateways, #5)
  • What Lay Beyond (Star Trek: Gateways, #7)
  • Cold Wars (Star Trek New Frontier: Gateways, #6)
  • Avatar Book Two (Star Trek Deep Space Nine)
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)
  • This Gray Spirit (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 2)
  • Lesser Evil (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 4)
  • One Small Step (Star Trek: Gateways, #1)
  • Cathedral (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #3)
  • Twilight (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #1)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • Warpath (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • The Soul Key (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Cardassia and Andor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #1)
  • The Left Hand of Destiny, Book Two (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • The Lives of Dax

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Emissary