Start by marking “Anyone But You” as Want to Read:
Anyone But You

Anyone But You

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  16,426 Ratings  ·  854 Reviews
Part basset, part beagle, all Cupid...can a matchmaking hound fetch a new love for his owner?

For Nina Askew, turning forty means freedom - from the ex-husband whose career always came first, from their stuffy suburban home. Freedom to have her own apartment in the city, freedom to focus on what she wants for a change. And what she wants is something her ex always vetoed -
Published by HQN (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Anyone But You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anyone But You

Buggy
Opening Line: “The last thing Nina Askew needed was Fred.”

Newly divorced Nina Askew has just turned forty and found her freedom. Of course freedom from her stuffy husband and suburban home comes at a cost and Nina now finds herself a tad on the lonely side. Rambling around her apartment, watching old movies and drinking Amaretto milkshakes with her BFF just aren’t cutting it anymore. She needs something else. What she needs is a puppy; a perky, rambunctious, adorable puppy. What Nina gets is Fre
Kathrynn
Loved it! I have a new favorite author. :-) This is the first book I've read by Jennifer Crusie and it will not be my last. I read most of this book with a smile on my face. What a terrific sense of humor! The print is very easy to read--double space--and the style has it flowing beautifully. This was a book I didn't tire of reading and remained engrossed in both the story and the characters.

There were actually three main characters: Nina, Alex and Fred (the dog). What a character the latter wa
Shawna
5 stars – Contemporary Romance

40-year-old divorcee Nina is feeling free at last, but a little bit lonely, so what does she do? She adopts a part basset, part beagle, fully morose, and middle-aged dog from the pound, but surprise, surprise, her woman’s best friend Fred turns out to be cupid in disguise and exactly what the doctor ordered. After all, without Fred, she wouldn’t have met her hottie ER doctor neighbor Alex, and that would have been a damn shame ‘cause the yumtastic hunk who’s 10 year
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
5 STARS

Jennifer Crusie can still lit up a smile like no one else's! this book!
Linda
With her fairytale marriage-gone-bust, Nina Askew was ready to move on. She had just turned forty-years-old and had a new apartment and a job that suited her but she was lonely. She decided it was time to adopt a cute little puppy; something her ex-husband would never consider.

Instead, Fred became a part of her life; as in, a much-older half-basset, half-beagle Fred. With his droopy eyes, a yawn-like moan and a large back end. He was patient, loving and listened when Nina needed a pair of ears.

T
Bark's Book Nonsense
Mar 10, 2010 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This was one of my favorite romance novels back in the 90's and, being all burned out and jaded, I decided to pick it up again to see if I'd enjoy it as much as I did back before I became so grouchy.

Much to my surprise, I enjoyed it from beginning to end. Though a few of the pop references are dated, the humor and the romance were both a delight to read and it brought me back to those days when I looked forward to spending an afternoon reading to my hearts content.

This book is about Nina, a newl
Ruthie Knox
Sep 28, 2011 Ruthie Knox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I get the Crusie thing now. The first book I read by her was Welcome to Temptation, which was so-so. Then Bet Me, which kept me up late into the night, compulsively reading, and inspired a blog post in which I navel-gazed in my customary fashion. I liked Bet Me a lot, though I never could put my finger on why, exactly. But oh, oh, oh, I loved this third one.

Note to anyone who ever wishes to write an older-woman, younger-man romance novel: This is how you do it. Just exactly like this. Anyo
Jacob Proffitt
Jan 12, 2016 Jacob Proffitt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, steamy
I didn't realize there was a Crusie I hadn't read yet so was delighted when I saw this while looking for something else entirely. It was a light, fun read with the charm and wit I expect from Crusie.

The rating is a bit on the generous side as the story was pretty predictable and there were few surprises along the way. The characters were fun, though, and Crusie made a ten-year older woman feel like the perfect fit in a wonderful romantic couple. Props for that being rare and well done and an int
Amanda Westmont
Jul 01, 2009 Amanda Westmont rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of pretty much anything Jennifer Crusie writes and this book was no exception.

But...

I'm not apparently a huge fan of the miscommunication plot device. (Potential non-fatal spoilers follow). I had a really hard time believing that the hero/heroine could spend hours and hours watching movies and hanging out and talking together A) without jumping each others bones and B) not ever talking about the fact that she didn't ever want the big house/ambitious man thing ever again. I mean, E
Yz the Whyz
Aug 22, 2010 Yz the Whyz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jennifer-crusie
I picked this audiobook on impulse because I needed a filler before my next audiobook gets delivered by the library. I've heard of Jennifer Crusie but have never read any of her books, so this will be first.

From the first disc, I though the reader's voice sounded familiar. When I recognized it as Erickssen's of the In Death books, the story rose in my estimation. (Okay, I'm shallow. There are certain readers that can read me a shopping list, and I will enjoy it...LOL)

It turned out to be a light-
Duchess Nicole
Dec 03, 2012 Duchess Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of sweet, funny contemporary romance
A sweet, funny, lighthearted romance...Jennifer Crusie's standard fare.

Nina is newly divorced after fifteen years of marriage. So she's still finding out who she is by herself. But she's lonely, and decided that she needs companionship NOT of the human kind and goes to adopt a dog from the local shelter. While she wants a young, perky puppy, its the old smelly basset hound mix that steals her heart. Enter Fred, the comic relief and matchmaker of the story.

Fred inadvertently sets up a meeting be
Siria
A quick, cute read, though this is definitely an early Crusie: there isn't a plot so much as a series of convenient and rather repetitive excuses to draw the book out to its required length. I'm also beginning to wonder why it is that Crusie is so insistent that none of her heroines have or want children: trying to buck genre constraints, or something else? Still, this was very funny, Fred the depressive beagle was adorable, and it's got an older woman/younger man romance—definitely worth the co ...more
BJ Rose
Mar 12, 2010 BJ Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a pleasant surprise this book was!! I loved it from start to finish. Nina's character was just so real, with her insecurities about being 40 in a world that idolizes the looks of a 20-year-old. And Alex's ignorance of the realness of her insecurities was also very true-to-life.

Nina is somewhat recently out of a very one-sided marriage, and all she wants is her independence and a dog. And of course, everyone knows that a good pet can be a good connection for friendship - which is all Nina w
Karla
Mar 03, 2011 Karla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lite fun book about a May/December romance. Loved Alex, he was witty charming, and and old soul in a young man's body. I think that's why he connected with Nina. Fred the dog was a nice addition, and made for some humorous and sweet moments in the book. He was the one who brought them together. At one point the book almost seemed to stall and I felt as if I was rereading the same chapter over. Then it picked up again and wrapped up nicely. Moral of the story "I love you just the way you are." ...more
Jane Stewart
Loved It! Crusie has done it for me again.

This is the second book of hers that I've read, the first one was "Bet Me." I love this author! I am drawn to her characters. I was desperate for Alex and Nina to get together. I loved their budding relationship. I enjoyed the other characters as well, especially the 75 year old physically fit neighbor Norma. One of the best things about Crusie is how frequently she has me laughing out loud.

Sexual content: moderate.
Ridley
This one had tons of telling, over-obvious symbolism and a plot that led me around by the nose, but the characters and dialog were so damn cute that I just couldn't hold it against the book. Just charmed the pants off me, it did.
Books&Friends
Mar 28, 2012 Books&Friends rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had this one sitting in my TBR pile waiting for me. I love books with humor but I have to be in the right frame of mind to enjoy them. This was a cracker of a day.

Crusie has a wicked sense of humor and I love her heroines but the hero, Alex, is scrumptious. We would call him the 'nice' guy, but I won't. Nice is a generic, blah, kinda word you'd use to describe a maiden aunt or your best friend's brother. Alex is kind to animals, old ladies, women in general, and terrific at his job as an ER do
Arch
Kay
Jun 20, 2010 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So after a couple of years of having an on-and-off love affair with the Bitches over at Smart Bitches, Trashy Books - I finally decided to commit. So I went with one of their must-read Romance Authors - Jennifer Crusie

I chose to start my Harlequin education with Anyone But You because I figured worst comes to worst, I would love the dog. Needless to say, Fred (the canine protagonist), made the book come to life from page 1. I absolutely loved the hero, Alex, despite the fact that he was self-con
Quinn
With my last couple of reads being on the darker side, I thought this one would make a nice change of pace.

It was really refreshing to see a different premise than the traditional romance fare - 40-year-old divorcee Nina finds herself attracted to her new neighbor, 30-year-old Alex.

What was ever better? The word 'cougar' was nowhere in sight. Oh, how I abhor that term.

Throw in an adorable part basset, part beagle, match-making dog, and we should be on a winner.

Nina took one long last glance at
Rosie Read
Nina, newly turned 40 and starting her life afresh after a recent divorce, is an instantly likeable character. Her emotional plight, defiance at turning 40 and determination to finally live life for herself are universal themes and it’s easy for anyone to sympathise with and engage with her. Alex, similarly, is dealing with the tension of tracking a life course, facing pressures to choose a career path from his successful family.

Nina and Alex have an enviably, and fully realistic, repartee. Desp
Alaine
Feb 03, 2009 Alaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alaine by: Annie
Shelves: romance
This was my first Jennifer Crusie novel and it was a fun easy read. It is easy to get into and Nina is a character who is easy to love. I think the thing I liked most about this novel was the realness of Nina, she is like your average woman with all the same insecurities about herself and her body.
Alex is an interesting character and doesn't seem to be your typical 30 year old hero. They are a perfect couple it just takes them a while to figure it out. Fred, of course, regularly steals the show.
Kristyn
Oct 22, 2013 Kristyn rated it really liked it
Jennifer Crusie never disappoints. Her books are always cute, funny and over-the-top sexy, something a lot of romantic comedy authors can't seem to balance well. All of this is evident in Anyone But You, a story about a forty-year-old woman, softer and droopier than the twenty-somethings her thirty-year-old neighbor dates, who is making a name for herself after her divorce from her stuffy ex. It is cliche as most romantic comedies are, but Jennifer Crusie doesn't allow her book to become some ki ...more
Valeria
Feb 02, 2015 Valeria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Después de leer Bet Me fue difícil de elegir entre todos los libros escritos por Jennifer Crusie, pero después de visitar su página en Goodreads, me quedé con Anyone But You. La razón, uds se preguntan, es por el echo que la protagonista es una mujer madura de 40, divorciada y empezando una vida nueva sin su ex y con el perro Fred, al que adoptó a pesar de no ser alegre y energético como los cachorros a lado suyo en la perrera.

Es a causa de Fred que Nina Askew se encuentra con su adorable y tot
Just - The romance reader
I loved this book. Crusie continues to be one of my favorite chick lit authors, more so which each book I read. Nina and Alex are quite the match, thankfully they're both smart characters. Fred the dog? He's hilarious and just might be my favorite part of the story. I'm a dog lover through and through, so any good story with a dog added to the mix is all the better!
Jessica
The two stars are entirely for Fred. Fred was adorable and lovable just like the basset hounds I have owned. Unfortunately, Fred deserved better than this book. I'm not generally a fan of chick lit, but I have been told that Jennifer Crusie writes quality books. Maybe I chose the wrong one, but I didn't like this book at all. I thought the heroine's hang-ups about the age difference were overblown. There were the parts where lots of fighting could have been avoided by the characters actually tal ...more
Lisa
Another well-written romance! I am in love with Nina Askew. Seriously. She's so ADORABLE. And I fell in love with Fred the moment we were introduced too. Good old match-making Fred.
Julia Spencer-Fleming
A hilarious and heartwarming romantic comedy that is the literary equivalent of eying and eating a perfectly frosted pink cupcake.
Shanu
Jul 14, 2015 Shanu rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
from the cover and the blurb, i thought this was going to be something in the line of Bridget jones' diary with a bonus : a depressed dog.

First chapter was HILARIOUS and i was delighted. Also i love puppies so i was just all in. But then, the story drags on with no real substance to it, there is no proper engaging plot, the main character whines every chance she gets, but most importantly there is no chemistry between her and Alex.

This book probably deserves 2 stars but because it let down my
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
What a really cute, fast read. Really enjoyed it and laughed out loud a few times.
  • Natural Born Charmer (Chicago Stars, #7)
  • Tangled Up In You (Truly Idaho, #2; Writer Friends, #3)
  • The Kept Woman
  • Start Me Up (Tumble Creek, #2)
  • Wild at Heart
  • Mr. Impossible (Carsington Brothers, #2)
  • Head Over Heels
  • Heiress for Hire (Cuttersville, #2)
  • Catch of the Day (Gideon's Cove, #1)
19005
Jenny Crusie is the NYT bestselling author of twenty some novels and lots of other stuff. Her latest novel, Maybe This Time, hit shelves in August, 2010.

Jenny lives on the Ohio River where she often stares at the ceiling and counts her blessings.
More about Jennifer Crusie...

“Broaden your horizons. They're the only ones you'll ever have, so make the suckers as wide as possible.” 64 likes
“Real life doesn't have to suck.” 16 likes