Start by marking “Cathedral (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #3)” as Want to Read:
Cathedral (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #3)

Cathedral (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma #3)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  503 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
SIREN SONGS As a small child, Jules Bashir underwent illegal genetic enhancements that forever altered the natural course of his life. As an adult, ever since the day he discovered what his parents had done, Dr. Julian Bashir has wondered what he might have become if "Jules" had been allowed to live, certain he would never know the answer. But when the lure of a strange al ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 401 pages
Published October 1st 2002 by Star Trek (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Cathedral, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cathedral

Crystal Bensley
Jan 22, 2016 Crystal Bensley rated it it was amazing
I cannot believe how awesome the DS9 relaunch has been! Ends on a cliffhanger but wow the two stories in this novel are both great!
Tina
Sep 07, 2015 Tina rated it really liked it
Honestly probably a 4.5 rather than just a 4...I really enjoyed this book! I loved the Gamma Quadrant story arc especially, but the Alpha Quadrant story was great, too...I didn't see the twist at the end of it coming!

One thing I loved about this book is every time I saw something (whether it be an event, or a bit of a character's introspection) and thought "But what about X?" a few paragraphs or a chapter later the books would bring up X. Most books leave loopholes or gaps in the logic that leav
Julio
May 01, 2016 Julio rated it really liked it
Nathan Burgoine
May 18, 2015 Nathan Burgoine rated it really liked it
The continuing saga of DS9 after the relaunch of the books in "Avatar," this quartet, called "Mission Gama," takes us even further into the future past the point of "What you Leave Behind."

Basically, the Defiant is on an exploratory mission into the Gamma Quadrant, and in its absence, the Federation is ready to grant Bajor membership status.

Things aren't that simple, of course, and the political tensions on Bajor clash with the theological issues brought up in Avatar, and Ro Laren faces an unc
SmokingMirror
Jul 01, 2014 SmokingMirror rated it liked it
Shelves: for-cardassia
CARDASSIA WATCH:
Gul Macet provides the acceptable face of the Cardassian military orders throughout the book.

Some of the paintings of Tora Ziyal were displayed on DS9, but vandalized. If only Kira or Garak could have held them in keeping.

Garak rappels down some Obsidian Order ruins (from the Dominion War) and turns over a bunch of Orbs of the Prophets to Bajor, which seems to be in the midst of yet another nutty religious fad. Garak's wit and charm are not up to his best level, but forgivable a
Andrew
Jun 23, 2013 Andrew rated it liked it
This is the third entry of the Mission Gamma series, and it's not as good as the first two. The Gamma Quadrant story is pretty predictable - something strange happens to Bashir, Ezri, and Nog, and the solution is obvious from the beginning. In the end, everything is back to normal, and there is very little insight into the amazing object they interacted with.

Bashir, Ezri and Nog become introspective as they deal with this mystery, and their thoughts were somewhat interesting. But there are bett
Daniel
May 06, 2012 Daniel rated it really liked it
The Deep Space Nine relaunch continues, both with story and quality. The book is effectively split between the Defiant's mission in the Gamma Quadrant (Mission Gamma) and what is happening back on the station. On the Gamma side, the story focuses on Ezri, Julian, and Nog after their contact with an alien artifact, a "Cathedral." This sets off a chain of events that places the Defiant between two religious sects that view the Cathedral either as something to revere or destroy. Back on the station ...more
Greg Molumby
Nov 11, 2014 Greg Molumby rated it really liked it
This was much better than This Grey Spirit, but not quite on the level of Twilight. The Bajor stuff is reminding me a lot of Season 2 of DS9, especially the Circle Trilogy, which I loved so I'm really getting a kick out of what is happening here. As for the gamma quadrant, I think I'm ready for Vaughn and crew to finally return home.
Mrsculpepper
Mar 16, 2016 Mrsculpepper rated it really liked it
really interesting premise out in the gamma quadrant. a chance to get inside the heads of bashir, ezri, dax, and nog. the linguistics nerd in me enjoyed the translated speech of "Sacajawea ". and I'm really enjoying kira's religious development back on deep Space nine. can't wait to see what kind of business venture quark and ro have planned as well.
Dan
Feb 21, 2014 Dan rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek, ds9
The writing team of Martin and Mangels maintains the high quality of this miniseries for the most part. As has been the case with the previous books, I was more engaged by the story happening on the station than the Gamma Quadrant portions. However, that story wasn't bad. The characters in this novel come across as real and dynamic rather than one-note villains or heroes. Also, as a special bonus, it was a treat to see the enigmatic Garak, even if only for a few short pages.

Overall, I would give
figura4
Aug 16, 2015 figura4 rated it liked it
La parte ambientata sulla Defiant questa volta mi ha un po' annoiato. Molto meglio le vicende ambientate su DS9.
Derek Oberg
Jul 08, 2011 Derek Oberg rated it liked it
I liked this one okay. The mission in the Gamma Quadrant is beginning to grate on me. It's starting to smack a little too much of the tired old alien/guest star of the week format that the TV show fell into so easily and often in its early days.

That being said, the stuff happening on the station and Bajor is among some of the best that this DS9 relaunch series has had to offer yet. So, I'm definately invested in continuing on.

(It was great to see Elim Garak again, if only for about 3 pages.)
Robert Jenkins
Nov 23, 2015 Robert Jenkins rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Overall I enjoyed this book. Nog was one of my favorite characters on the DS9 TV series, and this book gave him some well-done character development. The overall Gamma Quadrant narrative continues apace with a couple of new alien species, but the developments back on DS9 are much more interesting as we deal with fallout from the events of previous novels as well as some new twists.
Angela
Dec 22, 2013 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The series continues with Bajor due to join the Federation. Meanwhile the Defiant comes across a strange space building that has profound effects on the crew. For once in this series the Defiant storyline is the better one. Full of character development and very memorable moments for some of the regulars. I actually found myself wanting the DS9 sequences to finish to read that storyline. A very good read.
Tammy
Jul 25, 2010 Tammy rated it liked it
Cathedral mostly focuses on Julian, Ezri, and Nog's encounter with an artifact, which causes them to 'regress' to previous physical states. Julian is no longer genetically enhanced. Ezri's body rejects Dax, and Nog regrows his leg. In the background, life goes on on DS9 with Bajor's entrance into the Federation.

Thus far, I like this book the most in the Mission Gamma series.
Jamie Banks
Jul 14, 2016 Jamie Banks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kira and Vaughn, especially Kira, and their development as top commanders are my favorite part. Secondarily, the contrast with Nog, Shar, Prynn, Bowers, and the other way junior officers at very different points in their lives. The actual dilemmas and plots are somewhat less compelling.
Michael
May 26, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing
The entire DS9 relaunch (via novels) was fabulously done - especially the Mission Gamma series of four books. It was as if the beloved series had never ended . . . a real treat for anyone who loved the series and lamented its end. If you loved DS9, read the DS9 relaunch!
Annie
Feb 25, 2016 Annie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek, 2012, tie-in
I've always been a fan of Dr. Bashir and I always wondered how he would be without the genetic enhancement. That book really covered that for me. It had a great plot, was well written and fast paced. I really liked it.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 Benjamin Plume rated it it was amazing
Do what now? shocking and good.
Onyx
Onyx marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Miloš Đekić
Miloš Đekić marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Julie Soden
Julie Soden rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
Russell Williams
Russell Williams marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
YDax
YDax marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Robert Cummins
Robert Cummins marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
David Nicholas
David Nicholas rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2016
BettyAnn
BettyAnn marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Leanne Olsen
Leanne Olsen rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
  • Lesser Evil (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 4)
  • This Gray Spirit (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 2)
  • Twilight (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #1)
  • Unity (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • Cardassia and Andor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #1)
  • Warpath (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #66)
  • The Lives of Dax
  • Demons of Air and Darkness
  • The Left Hand of Destiny, Book Two (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)
  • A Stitch in Time
  • Day of the Vipers (Star Trek Terok Nor Book 1)

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma (4 books)
  • Twilight (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #1)
  • This Gray Spirit (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 2)
  • Lesser Evil (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 4)