Start by marking “Wherever Grace Is Needed” as Want to Read:
Wherever Grace Is Needed

Wherever Grace Is Needed

The author of the acclaimed "Miss You Most of All" reveals even greater depths, crafting a poignant yet uplifting story of family, friendship, loss, and hope.
Published June 1st 2011 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Wherever Grace Is Needed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wherever Grace Is Needed

Samantha Janning
May 30, 2011 Samantha Janning rated it it was amazing
Wherever Grace is Needed by Elizabeth Bass isn’t a chick lit novel, but this story definitely won me over and deserves a five star review. The story centers around two very different families, neighbors living in Austin, Texas. Grace Oliver leaves behind her house, boyfriend, and business in Portland for a few weeks to help her father recuperate from a car accident. Grace loved her life in Texas, her father and her older half-brothers, but moved to Portland with her mother after the divorce. Fee ...more
Idris
Sep 17, 2011 Idris rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading this book, and I must say that I loved it. When I started reading Wherever Grace is Needed, I didn't know what I was going to find in those pages. It was the first book by Elizabeth Bass I read and I didn't know if I was going to like the book or not, or If I was going to enjoy her writing style or not. But I'm glad to say that I really enjoyed it.

Elizabeth Bass tells the story of two different families, two broken families, two dysfunctional families, and how they need t
Jill
Jan 27, 2012 Jill rated it liked it
My favorite authors generally keep me in ample supply of reading material, given that I have some 30-40 favorites. However every now and then I like to branch out and try new authors, either at random or based on a recommendation or review. Ms. Bass is one of those "experiments", based on a review I read, and I am happy to have discovered her. I will definitely read more of her work.

This book is poignant, but also hilariously funny. The premise is that a young woman, Grace, moves back to her ch
Beth Peninger
Jun 20, 2011 Beth Peninger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I always appreciate the double meaning of something. Take the title of this book for example. Wherever Grace is needed she goes, wherever Grace is needed it is given.
Grace is in-between families. She's got 2 half brothers on her Dad's side and a half brother and sister on her Mom's side, she doesn't really feel like she belongs anywhere. We first meet Grace when she is 7 and then we meet up with her again when she is 30. By the time we meet the adult Grace she has figured out a life for herself
Bev Walkling
I really enjoyed this book by Elizabeth Bass. Grace moved away from her father as a child because of her parent's divorce but drops everything to be near him after he is hit by a car breaking his leg. It soon becomes apparent that he is the early stages of Alzheimer's disease and will need somebody to be with him for a long time to come. Ray and his three children Jordan, Lily and Dominic live next door to Grace's dad and are in the throes of learning to live without their mother and Jordan's tw ...more
McGuffy Morris
Jun 10, 2011 McGuffy Morris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of a family and the love that holds it together. The adage, “Grace under pressure” applies here.

Grace Oliver goes home after thirty years, to assist her father who is recovering from an auto accident. Unexpectedly, it is also revealed that he has Alzheimer’s disease. This prompts Grace to remain longer than she initially planned.

Unfortunately, the previously distant Grace finds herself confronting her past within the family, including her relationship with her siblings. She fin
Mel
Aug 20, 2011 Mel rated it really liked it
This is the story of Grace Oliver, a young woman who was separated from her father and her older two brothers when she was twelve and her parents divorced. Her mother took her to live in Oregon while her father stayed in Texas. However, now Grace returns to Texas to care for her father who was hit by a car and broke his leg in the accident. But once Grace returns to Texas, she realizes something is not right with her father; in the following weeks, her father is diagnosed with Alzheimer's. She s ...more
(Lonestarlibrarian) Keddy Ann Outlaw
If you like to worry over characters in books, this one hits the spot. thirty-year-old record store owner Grace Oliver leaves her life in Portland, OR behind to go home to the Austin area when her father has an accident. Then it becomes clear her father is suffering from Alzheimers, and her visit turns into a true relocation. Add in the neighbors next door, widower Ray and his three kids, all grieving for the recent loss of their mother and sibling, and Grace has plenty of people to fuss over. S ...more
Nikki Barrett
Jun 04, 2011 Nikki Barrett rated it really liked it
This is a story about coming home, to a place you once lived. It's a story of family, love, new chances, and the complications of all relationships- between fathers and daughters, brothers and sisters, and relationships between strangers that have more than just a common bond.

Grace gets the call that her father has been in an accident, and she immediately comes home, leaving behind her music shop and her boyfriend. She can't just say no to helping her father. And then she meets the family next
R.
Apr 10, 2012 R. rated it really liked it
I really liked this story – covers a lot of family dynamics. I have boys who find it hard to get along with each other and often ended up in fist fights. I keep thinking that families with girls do not go through this stuff. This novel reminded me of just how mean sisters can be to each other. Grace is good at helping ease relationships between others. This is also the 3rd novel in about as many months that deals with the disease Alzheimers.
The writing is emotional and heart felt. I begin to ca
Stacey Pagan
Jun 07, 2011 Stacey Pagan rated it it was amazing
I just finished Elizabeth Bass' "Wherever Grace Is Needed" and could NOT put it down! Bass has done an exceptional job in portraying a typical split family, as well as a family in mourning. I couldn’t wait to see what happened with each of the characters, especially the sisterly ‘love’ between Jordan and Lilly. The plot line was fantastic – a smidgen of romance, a rebellious teenager with a breaking heart, a little boy dying of attention and the brainy teen who doesn’t want to face particular fa ...more
jori
Oct 25, 2012 jori rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad book, necessarily, just not a good book. A two star rating feels more realistic but if the description of two stars is "it was ok" then...I'm afraid not. I'm not a crazy book critic or anything but in general, I got almost halfway through this book and just didn't feel any compulsion to continue reading. I wasn't connected to any of the characters, and I didn't really care what happened in the story. The writing, and storyline, felt a little immature. If you were in the airport booksto ...more
Leanne
Feb 03, 2012 Leanne rated it really liked it
This is the story of two families with similar situations - one dealing with the new diagnosis of Alzheimer's and one with the death of a mom and sister. Grace is there for everybody, leaving her business and boyfriend in Portland and going to Austin, TX to help her father. While there, she meets the next-door neighbors and befriends the children coping with their loss.

Good character development and story line. Even though the outcomes were predictable, I wanted to know how they would be achieve
Laura Buechler
Apr 03, 2012 Laura Buechler rated it it was ok
It felt to me like this book needed to make up its mind. Was it about a grown woman returning home to help her father deal with Alzheimer's? Was it about a troubled teenage girl who believes she is responsible for the death of her mother and sister? Or was it "The Parent Trap"? I found the plot scattered and the characters scarcely developed, and the ending suffered from a bad case of "Whoops, time to end the story, let's wrap everything up neatly despite the fact that the characters have no mot ...more
Joanna Paula Cailas
Jan 21, 2012 Joanna Paula Cailas rated it really liked it
Shelves: mainstream
Had a slow start, but then you meet the characters, and you fall in love with them, even Jordan, who'll be my benchmark for 'difficult teen' now. This reads like Bass compiled a list of what makes the world a happy place and plonked them all here: a brother-slash-best friend, an ornery father-slash-best-friend, a dog, cats, neighbors (both lovely and the other kind)... all these side-by-side with the grief from losing a loved one so suddenly in an accident, and from the impending loss of a paren ...more
Kelly Boyce
Jun 21, 2011 Kelly Boyce rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-books-read
I loved this book. The heroine, Grace Oliver is engaging and memorable, but what makes this story what it is are the layers within – her relationship with her father and older brothers and separation from them growing up; her father’s diagnosis and what that means; and the family next door that she becomes involved with – a family struggling from their own wounds.

This book covers the gamut but doesn’t fall short on any of it. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking to lose themselves in a
Gina
May 29, 2016 Gina rated it liked it
This book was engaging enough to keep me reading until the end, but only just. I found the events in the book to be rather disjointed and kind of springing-up-from-nowhere, without a solid back story to make them relevant. I also found it difficult to really become attached to the main characters, which also made it hard to truly be curious about the outcomes of their situations throughout the book. ...A bit weak overall.
Karen
Jan 11, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
This was an easy read but thoroughly captured me the minute I started it. There are lots of emotions to deal with...grief, teenage love and angst, an aging parent with Alzheimer's. It's amazing though how time and the closeness and big hearts of others can help to heal us in whatever it is we're dealing with.
Pmcdnld2
Jun 23, 2011 Pmcdnld2 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. Grace leaves her boyfriend and her business in Oregon to help take care of her dad after he is hit by a car. Dad is then diagnosed with Alzheimers and her stay extends. She also gets involved with the family next door-a dad and 3 kids whose mother has been killed in a car accident. Parts of this are funny and parts are heartbreaking but a great read.
Marilyn Bonner
Jan 08, 2015 Marilyn Bonner rated it liked it
This book was just a bit boring. It kind of drug on with not much happening? I was tempted to stop reading in the middle but usually never do that. I kept thinking this book is going to get better. I did finish it though.
Cynthia DeVivo
Apr 26, 2013 Cynthia DeVivo rated it really liked it
It seems like its been some time since I have read a book and when I was finished felt like I really was a part is the characters world. This book made me feel that again. I would definitely recommend this book

Liz Fichera
Feb 02, 2011 Liz Fichera rated it it was amazing
A very layered and heartwarming story about blended families, relationships, loss and even self-discovery. The characters and plot are woven together so beautifully and touched all of my emotional buttons. Once I started this book, I was unable to put it down.
Carrie
May 05, 2011 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very sweet story about a woman who moves across the country to help her ailing father, and about a neighbor girl who is grieving the loss of some of her family in a car accident. Out of the sad situation comes a nice story about healing and growing.
Debdanz
Nov 04, 2011 Debdanz rated it really liked it
This was a totally predictable and sappy book with flat characters that allowed you to project whatever personality onto them that you wanted. And yet I really enjoyed it. Maybe bc it was set in Austin- lots of bbq. :)
Shauna
Mar 28, 2014 Shauna rated it liked it
This book was harshly realistic. My emotions went up and down with Grace's and I could relate to her on so many levels. Because of this, it was hard to continue reading. It was a well written book and I appreciated the reality of it.
Heather
Oct 17, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: awesome-covers
I loved this book. What a wonderful compilation of characters and personalities. I enjoyed every single situation and way curious to see where the story would lead. I suggest this if you are looking for an enjoyable read about family connections and the true meaning of a family relationship.
Ruth Tucker
Jan
May 14, 2012 Jan rated it did not like it
This irritating failure falls into my twice used category of: Books I Have Refused to Finish. I at one point attempted to skim read it instead but, my eyes kept getting gouged on words like "rents", "hemorrhoid" (as a description of a person), and "whoa". There's only so much I can tolerate.
Stephanie
Sep 11, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Elizabeth Bass did an AMAZING job with this book, she's a descriptive genius! Every detail was just enough. Her characters were so vivid, their emotions perfectly reflected in her chosen words. I laughed, cried and didn't want the story to end. The good, the bad, the messy...I loved all of it. :)
  • Born Under a Lucky Moon
  • The Water Children
  • Sea Escape
  • Still Time: A Novel
  • The Swallow and the Hummingbird
Elizabeth Bass grew up the youngest of four siblings in rural Texas, where she spent summers watching old movies and dreaming of living in a town big enough to have an Icee machine. She now resides in Victoria, BC with her husband.
More about Elizabeth Bass...