Start by marking “Jung and Tarot: An Archetypal Journey” as Want to Read:
Jung and Tarot: An Archetypal Journey

Jung and Tarot: An Archetypal Journey

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  358 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Highly innovative work presenting a piercing interpretation of the tarot in terms of Jungian psychology. Through analogy with the humanities, mythology and the graphic arts, the significance of the cards is related to personal growth and individuation. The major arcana becomes a map of life, and the hero's journey becomes something that each individual can relate to the sy ...more
Published June 1st 1980 by Weiser Books (first published April 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Jung and Tarot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jung and Tarot

Elaine Campbell
There is no one definitive book about the Tarot. Throughout the centuries, each one has been written with a different slant, a particular viewpoint and even different motives. What we've got to remember is that we are approaching the Holy here. Some modern writers on the subject that are financially dependent on the sales of books tend to forget that in their haste to be "popular" with the general reading public. They're easily detected by paying visits to their websites. If the visitor sees all ...more
Susan
Aug 12, 2007 Susan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: tarot
Interesting, but only deals with the major arcana. Also, Nichols' writing is a tad repetitive. I wouldn't recommend this one as an introduction to the tarot, but it's a good supplement to any collection of books on the subject. I recommend reading Robert M. Place's wonderful book, The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination instead.
Teleri
Feb 19, 2013 Teleri rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone seeking a deeper understanding of Tarot
Shelves: tarot
Ine of my absolute favorite Tarot books. I wish I hadn't lost my copy & intend to replace it. I wish it would come out on Kindle...I first read a friend's borrowed copy when it came out in the 80's. I finally snagged my own copy in the 90's...and lost it with all my stuff in 2004 when I became homeless. It's on my "to replace soon" list!
Chaeya
If you read tarot or work with tarot cards, this is an interesting book to give you some deeper insight into the cards, especially if you enjoy archetypes as much as I do. You'll find that as you go through life, there are recurring themes which are prevelent, and in using the Jung and Tarot, if you find yourself attracted to certain cards of the Major Arcana, it will give you some deeper insight into your self.

Note: This is not a book to buy and leaf through for an explanation on the cards whi
Laura Lee
I refer to this book a lot. Because it has the word "tarot" in the title, it sounds like a guide to reading tarot cards, and I assume someone could use it that way. More than that, it uses the tool of the major arcana of the tarot deck to write long reflections on each of the archetypal images they represent. The entries draw on the writings of Jung, images of the archetype in art and literature. I find archetypes to be valuable concepts in writing and my copy of this book is well-used.
Cherie
B This is not your typical Tarot guide; instead, it meditates on the different Tarot cards, the characters, how they interact - with a Jungian focus. For the focused Tarot reader.
Cheryl
Jun 19, 2011 Cheryl added it
Found it to be a nice, fairly easy, way to slide into deciphering what an archetype was; read years back but still have peaks back at it every so often.
Erica Yatsuk
wait can you guess? yep, art thearpy! lol, but this one is good. if you like tarot, history and psychology then you should give it a go.
Erin
Nov 16, 2009 Erin is currently reading it
oh the literalness of this was a little much. i only made it through the first chapter. like, duh, tarot is about archetypes.
Darcie
Probably the best book on Tarot I've read. Not a how-to -- but on the meanings of the cards.
Jody
Great for any student of story.
Amanda
One of my favorite books on the Tarot
Catherine Rowan
Sep 28, 2007 Catherine Rowan is currently reading it
Still in the works! ;-)
Sat Chit
Jun 04, 2013 Sat Chit is currently reading it
cool!
RobinBeth Faulkner
RobinBeth Faulkner marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Brittney Talkignton
Brittney Talkignton is currently reading it
Mar 01, 2015
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Tsubame
Tsubame marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Marjorie
Marjorie is currently reading it
Feb 24, 2015
Youkho
Youkho marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Dan Hanson
Dan Hanson marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Jeanette
Jeanette marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
  • Seventy Eight Degrees of Wisdom
  • The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination
  • Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot: An Authoritative Examination of the World's Most Fascinating and Magical Tarot Cards
  • Tarot Plain and Simple
  • Meditations on the Tarot: A Journey into Christian Hermeticism
  • The Complete Book of Tarot Reversals
  • Tarot for Writers
  • The Tarot: A Key to the Wisdom of the Ages
  • Shadow and Evil in Fairy Tales (C.G. Jung Foundation Book)
  • The Book of Thoth
  • Ego and Archetype: Individuation and the Religious Function of the Psyche
  • Alchemy & Mysticism
  • The Tarot Bible: The Definitive Guide to the Cards and Spreads
  • The Hero Within: Six Archetypes We Live By
Meeting the Shadow: The Hidden Power of the Dark Side of Human Nature (New Consciousness Reader)

“The psyche is a self-regulating system whose aim is not perfection but wholeness and equilibrium.” 0 likes