How to Bake

How to Bake

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  15 reviews
At last, the star of BBC2's The Great British Bake Off reveals all the secrets of his craft in How to Bake. The son of a baker, Paul Hollywood is passionate about busting the myths that surround baking, sharing his finely honed skills, and showing that with the right guidance, anybody can achieve success time after time. With this in mind, he has filled this book with eas...more
Published February 19th 2013 by A&C Black Trade (first published January 1st 2012)

Rebecca tedder
Ok, Everyone else marked it 5*, I gave it a 3* and that was at a generous push and feel I should explain why.

I wouldn't say I disliked this book but I found most of this book irrelevent to me. I found FAR too much of it was focussed on bread when I am more of a cake/pastry baker.

The step by step guides were greatly detailed and I would highly recommend this book if you wanted 50 savoury and sweet bread recipes in your cooking repetoire (up to page 124 of a 300 pg book) but for me this just wasn'...more
Gemma
My fiancé got me this for my birthday, and it was my favourite present! So far I've made bread, garlic bread, chipatis, brownies and the delicious marble cake! And lots more I want to try! In particular the Christmas chocolate log. Ideal beginners guide to baking, as it shows techniques and step by step pictures for certain methods which helps to see what something should look like part way through the process.
Cara
Possibly the best baking book on the shelves today. Starting with a very informative section on 'getting started with bread' which is a mix of advice and instruction with lots of useful photographs, the book continues with 6 sections: basic breads; flavoured breads; sourdough; croissants, Danish & brioche; biscuits, puddings & cakes; tarts & pies. There is a wide range of recipes, plenty of photographs of how the finished bake should look and lots of tips scattered throughout.

This i...more
Monique
Until recently I was never able to bake a decent loaf of bread. Since owning this book, I have not only succeeded in baking a decent loaf, but have now successfully made loads more of his recipes, including croissants, foccacia, ciabatta, pita breads, danish pastries, brioche and truffle ficelles to name but a few. An absolute must for any home-baker!
Dan
An excellent introduction to the craft and artistry of baking. The best parts are the introductions to each section along with the core recipes that start those sections - bread, pastries, tarts/pies, cakes, etc. As someone who works in the restaurant world the followup recipes are less interesting as they tend to be variations on the theme, designed to help the home baker explore just that. I'd have liked to see a bit more variety - but then, the book is intended to be an introduction, not an i...more
Mandie Kok
Nov 06, 2012 Mandie Kok rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: the beginner baker
Shelves: cookbooks, food, recipes
Lots of lovely recipes, most needing only 5 or 6 ingredients. The basics are well covered, but some more advanced techniques are also shared, including how to plait an 8-strand loaf. Since seeing this as a challenge on The Great British Bake Off, I've been wanting to try one, so I am happy to see that the instructions are quite simple.

At least one photograph accompanies each recipe, showing you what the end result should look like. The recipes are easy to follow and the author stresses that baki...more
Claudio
It is really helping me to improve my baking skills
Lisa
Not bad but I have read better baking books. That said, the recipes are nice but the techniques are great for reference. I bookmarked several pages to refer back to later, namely the marzipan and hte pastry/croissant dough techniques.
S.M.
Heerlijke broden met natuurlijke ingrediënten, goed beschreven, makkelijk te maken en inspirerend om eigen verzonnen combinaties uit te proberen. Het volkoren brood, pecanbrood (wat ik varieer met walnoten), de volkoren kaasscones en de brownies zijn mijn favorieten tot nu toe, maar nog vele recepten te gaan.
Inmiddels bak ik ook regelmatig voor m'n kennissenkring, die kunnen er geen genoeg van krijgen!

Saleris
This is a nice book. I picked it up simply due to his appearence and demonstrations on "The Great British Bake-off". His recipes are nicely written out (I was especially happy to see his recipe for foccacia), and necessarily repetitive (you don't need to be turning pages for instructions with dough covered hands). I'll be looking forwards to using this and making the recipes I can eat.

Chellie
This book has a great section about bread chemistry that makes a great bread, and a usual section of tips to help you work out what went wrong if you do not get the results desired. How the book also has great photos and explanations. Whether you're a novice or a professional baker I think this book has something for everyone.
Elle
I literally love this recipe so bad!
it has the niceeeeest photos in it (and a photo for every recipe - yay) and good tips and tricks!
there is a massive range of bread recipes yum :)
Scu8a8uddy
Loved this book. I'll constantly be using it for baking bread. Although it repeats the processes required to bake and kneed this can be useful when hands are covered in dough!
Vidya
Recommended by my husband and gifted by my brother. I am a big fan of Paul hollywood and this book is must have for any bread lover and aspiring home baker.
Lynn Spencer
Just bought it, reading it, loving it. I'll probably upgrade to 5 stars when I cook from it.

EDIT: You, deffo 5 stars
Jackie
Paul Hollywood ROCKS! Finally someone who explains in detail how to make fabulous bread. Thank you Mr H x
Mahmodabasi
Mahmodabasi marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Susan
Susan added it
Jul 18, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Paul Hollywood (born in 1966) is an English baker and celebrity chef. He has worked as a baker since taking up the career at his father's bakery as a teenager and has gone on to become head baker at a number of hotels around Britain. After returning from working in Cyprus, he began appearing in guest spots on a number of British television shows on both BBC and ITV channels. Since 2010 he has appe...more
More about Paul Hollywood...
Paul Hollywood's Bread 100 Great Breads Paul Hollywood's Pies and Puds Untitled Paul Hollywood 2 The Great British Bake Off: How to Bake: The Perfect Victoria Sponge and Other Baking Secrets