Start by marking “How to Bake” as Want to Read:
How to Bake

How to Bake

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  619 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
At last, the star of BBC2's The Great British Bake Off reveals all the secrets of his craft in How to Bake. The son of a baker, Paul Hollywood is passionate about busting the myths that surround baking, sharing his finely honed skills, and showing that with the right guidance, anybody can achieve success time after time. With this in mind, he has filled this book with eas ...more
Published February 19th 2013 by A&C Black (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about How to Bake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Bake

Rebecca tedder
Oct 03, 2012 Rebecca tedder rated it liked it
Ok, Everyone else marked it 5*, I gave it a 3* and that was at a generous push and feel I should explain why.

I wouldn't say I disliked this book but I found most of this book irrelevent to me. I found FAR too much of it was focussed on bread when I am more of a cake/pastry baker.

The step by step guides were greatly detailed and I would highly recommend this book if you wanted 50 savoury and sweet bread recipes in your cooking repetoire (up to page 124 of a 300 pg book) but for me this just wasn'
They Lived on Treacle
In Britain, where I’m based, Paul Hollywood has become one of the most, if not the most, well-known names in baking. He’s one of two judges on the wildly popular TV show The Great British Bake Off, on which he dishes out harsh but fair and very knowledgeable comments on the bakers’ efforts. Prior to becoming a judge, Hollywood had already made a name for himself as a well-respected and successful baker, supplying British institutions such as Harrods and Waitrose. In 2008, he had the rather dubio ...more
Gemma
Nov 19, 2012 Gemma rated it really liked it
My fiancé got me this for my birthday, and it was my favourite present! So far I've made bread, garlic bread, chipatis, brownies and the delicious marble cake! And lots more I want to try! In particular the Christmas chocolate log. Ideal beginners guide to baking, as it shows techniques and step by step pictures for certain methods which helps to see what something should look like part way through the process.
Brendan
Feb 14, 2016 Brendan rated it really liked it
I'm not really finished reading the book. I own it, so I'll never really be done.

Things you should know:

1. The book is in metric. If you can't handle conversions and have a scale that can handle grams you're probably going to be out of luck.

2. The book also calls for ingredients more readily available in the UK. There are U.S. equivalents for many of them, but you'll need to be able to figure them out if you are going to enjoy the book.

3. I am currently living in a desert. This generally means
Michelle Jenkins
Feb 19, 2016 Michelle Jenkins rated it it was ok
After catching Paul Hollywood on the Great British Bake off, we picked up a copy of How to Bake at our local library. Tried a few recipes -- the Victoria sponge, ciabatta loaves and soda bread -- with mixed results. The husband and I are both competent home cooks and just didn't have great success. The sponge was a little dense and chewy and the ciabatta didn't develop a nice holey structure. Our yeast was within date, so clearly there was some other issue.

Worth seeking out other sources for cl
Cara
Nov 27, 2012 Cara rated it it was amazing
Possibly the best baking book on the shelves today. Starting with a very informative section on 'getting started with bread' which is a mix of advice and instruction with lots of useful photographs, the book continues with 6 sections: basic breads; flavoured breads; sourdough; croissants, Danish & brioche; biscuits, puddings & cakes; tarts & pies. There is a wide range of recipes, plenty of photographs of how the finished bake should look and lots of tips scattered throughout.

This i
Monique
May 26, 2014 Monique rated it it was amazing
Until recently I was never able to bake a decent loaf of bread. Since owning this book, I have not only succeeded in baking a decent loaf, but have now successfully made loads more of his recipes, including croissants, foccacia, ciabatta, pita breads, danish pastries, brioche and truffle ficelles to name but a few. An absolute must for any home-baker!
Iowa City Public Library
From Anne:

"Paul Hollywood’s How to Bake acts as a primer on technique. The recipes here are pretty detailed, offering the how and why to each type of baking. This book is pretty bread heavy, so if you are interested in perfecting that sourdough loaf or attempting a fougasse, this book is for you. Also try his British Baking cookbook."
Skmorris
Nov 03, 2015 Skmorris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great baking book!

I was already a fan of Paul Hollywood's from the Great British Baking Show, but I really liked this book particularly because he includes detailed photos of techniques and photos of every single recipe's finished product.
Dan
Oct 30, 2012 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent introduction to the craft and artistry of baking. The best parts are the introductions to each section along with the core recipes that start those sections - bread, pastries, tarts/pies, cakes, etc. As someone who works in the restaurant world the followup recipes are less interesting as they tend to be variations on the theme, designed to help the home baker explore just that. I'd have liked to see a bit more variety - but then, the book is intended to be an introduction, not an i ...more
Jacquie Young
Jun 03, 2016 Jacquie Young rated it it was amazing
This is the book that's taught me how to make bread. It's easy to follow and the descriptions and pictures were very helpful.
Elly
Jun 27, 2015 Elly rated it really liked it
All the basics are covered and the choosen recipes are great, but all of them are suitable for beginners.
Mandie Kok
Nov 06, 2012 Mandie Kok rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the beginner baker
Shelves: cookbooks, food, recipes
Lots of lovely recipes, most needing only 5 or 6 ingredients. The basics are well covered, but some more advanced techniques are also shared, including how to plait an 8-strand loaf. Since seeing this as a challenge on The Great British Bake Off, I've been wanting to try one, so I am happy to see that the instructions are quite simple.

At least one photograph accompanies each recipe, showing you what the end result should look like. The recipes are easy to follow and the author stresses that baki
Claudio
Jul 21, 2014 Claudio rated it really liked it
It is really helping me to improve my baking skills
Philip
Nov 12, 2015 Philip rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookery
Really excellent book for baking beginners.
Fairouz
Jan 05, 2015 Fairouz rated it it was amazing
Can't wait to try some recipes from this book!
Lisa
Jul 02, 2014 Lisa rated it it was ok
Not bad but I have read better baking books. That said, the recipes are nice but the techniques are great for reference. I bookmarked several pages to refer back to later, namely the marzipan and hte pastry/croissant dough techniques.
Peter Dyer
Mar 22, 2015 Peter Dyer rated it it was amazing
great book on how to bake bread and other bread like items
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
Published: 19/02/2013
Author: Paul Hollywood

This book is very good for people who are just starting out baking and ones who have been baking for awhile, there are plenty of new tips to find out and different ways to do things. The recipes/method are easy to follow and understand, they don't have tons of ingerdients and they aren't very expensive. It is a really great book and one that will end up been one of your favourites.
Maria
I saw Paul Hollywood on Tv one day baking the most deliciously looking garlic bread and I simply had to see what else there was to it. I borrowed the book at the library and immidiatly knew i had to own it. I have made some of the recipes in the book and they were all great. It has even gotten me a lot of praise amongst my friends. I would recommend it to everyone-Read it as a part of my personal READATHON.
S.M.
Jun 30, 2013 S.M. rated it it was amazing
Heerlijke broden met natuurlijke ingrediënten, goed beschreven, makkelijk te maken en inspirerend om eigen verzonnen combinaties uit te proberen. Het volkoren brood, pecanbrood (wat ik varieer met walnoten), de volkoren kaasscones en de brownies zijn mijn favorieten tot nu toe, maar nog vele recepten te gaan.
Inmiddels bak ik ook regelmatig voor m'n kennissenkring, die kunnen er geen genoeg van krijgen!

Saleris
Aug 09, 2012 Saleris rated it really liked it
This is a nice book. I picked it up simply due to his appearence and demonstrations on "The Great British Bake-off". His recipes are nicely written out (I was especially happy to see his recipe for foccacia), and necessarily repetitive (you don't need to be turning pages for instructions with dough covered hands). I'll be looking forwards to using this and making the recipes I can eat.

Karen Foster
Dec 09, 2015 Karen Foster rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recipe-books
The perfect book for a novice baker like me. I really love Hollywood's detailed information about the effect of each element of the recipe - and so far so fool-proof! There is nothing like the smell of fresh bread in your home...
This book is heavy on the bread recipes, and less so on sweet baking, which makes it perfect for me, as I don't have much of a sweet tooth.
Chellie
Apr 20, 2013 Chellie rated it it was amazing
This book has a great section about bread chemistry that makes a great bread, and a usual section of tips to help you work out what went wrong if you do not get the results desired. How the book also has great photos and explanations. Whether you're a novice or a professional baker I think this book has something for everyone.
Elle
Feb 22, 2013 Elle rated it it was amazing
I literally love this recipe so bad!
it has the niceeeeest photos in it (and a photo for every recipe - yay) and good tips and tricks!
there is a massive range of bread recipes yum :)
Scu8a8uddy
Aug 30, 2012 Scu8a8uddy rated it really liked it
Loved this book. I'll constantly be using it for baking bread. Although it repeats the processes required to bake and kneed this can be useful when hands are covered in dough!
Vidya
Dec 04, 2013 Vidya rated it it was amazing
Recommended by my husband and gifted by my brother. I am a big fan of Paul hollywood and this book is must have for any bread lover and aspiring home baker.
Lynn Spencer
Nov 21, 2012 Lynn Spencer rated it it was amazing
Just bought it, reading it, loving it. I'll probably upgrade to 5 stars when I cook from it.

EDIT: You, deffo 5 stars
Jackie
Sep 17, 2012 Jackie rated it it was amazing
Paul Hollywood ROCKS! Finally someone who explains in detail how to make fabulous bread. Thank you Mr H x
Philip Tam
Philip Tam marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
  • Mary Berry's Baking Bible: Over 250 Classic Recipes
  • The Great British Bake Off: How to Turn Everyday Bakes Into Showstoppers
  • The Hummingbird Bakery Home Sweet Home: 100 New Recipes for Baking Brilliance
  • The River Cottage Bread Handbook (River Cottage Handbook, #3)
  • Preserves (River Cottage Handbook, #2)
  • The River Cottage Fish Book
  • Leon: Naturally Fast Food: Book 2
  • Rick Stein's India: In Search of the Perfect Curry: Recipes from My Indian Odyssey
  • Gok Cooks Chinese
  • Eat: The Little Book of Fast Food
  • Delia Smith's Winter Collection: 150 Recipes for Winter
  • 50 Great Curries of India
  • Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza
Paul Hollywood is an English baker and celebrity chef. He has worked as a baker since taking up the career at his father's bakery as a teenager and has gone on to become head baker at a number of hotels around Britain. After returning from working in Cyprus, he began appearing in guest spots on a number of British television shows on both BBC and ITV channels. Since 2010 he has appeared as a judge ...more
More about Paul Hollywood...