Start by marking “The Big Bing” as Want to Read:
The Big Bing

The Big Bing

2.92 of 5 stars 2.92  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A corporate mole's-eye view of the society in which we all live and toil, creating one of the most entertaining, thought provoking, and just plain funny bodies of work in contemporary letters.

Stanley Bing knows whereof he speaks. He has lived the last two decades working inside a gigantic multinational corporation, kicking and screaming all the way up the ladder. He has se
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Bing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Bing

I must not get this book. The copyright is 2003, but he writes about 'squawk boxes,''rolodexes,' and paper memos as if we're in the 80's. You have to get more than half way through the book to hear about a PDA...and Squawk Box now makes me think of the Financial News show, not a phone.

He rants about screaming bosses. I think it is dry, possibly self-deprecating humor about sleazy corporate bosses.

I guess I'm lucky. I have never had a screaming, jerk boss. Even in the 90's I do not remember the c
When I picked this out, I did not realize that Stanley Bing was also the author of that airport classic, What Would Machiavelli Do? This one picks up where that one presumably left off. Part memoir, part humour, and part self-help, The Big Bing essentially recommends "strategic thinking", aka "office politics," to employees high and low. Bing supports this suggestion with many examples from his own career, some of which were funny. A lot of what he says is probably true, but the heavy dose of na ...more
John Bell
I think I like Stanley Bing in little tiny bits at a time. I suppose it didn't help that I read this right after reading Dilbert. Dilbert was much funnier. Bing doesn't seem to know whether he is trying to be funny or serious. Of course, this particular book is nearly two decades old. Also, I really think Bing should have resisted his desire to write poetry--not interesting or funny, just corny. Still, it was an okay book to read.
I have never before read a "Stanley Bing" book before. I thought I was getting a business book, a book with ideas that could potentially help me. Is this book the far from that. "The big bing" is... business satire. Like a "Dilbert" comic strip is. So if you want some good ideas to help you, you won't find any hear. If you want a sarcastic laugh, then read this book. I would recommend a few pages at a time.
Hey, another book that I was led to through a finance magazine. Bing's earlier writing isn't as funny as his later stuff. Some things are readily applicable to my life, some are not.
Jan 02, 2012 SC marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at!
Brad Hayes
No one does sarcasm like Bing.
mildly entertaining and few nuggets of info, seems to be a collection of columns. Probably won't finish it.
Lori Grant
An optional-read book in finding humor in the workplace.
Sudha Parimi
Sudha Parimi marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Steen Teisen
Steen Teisen marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Becky Dawson
Becky Dawson marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Dhaval marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Julie added it
Aug 21, 2014
Justin W
Justin W marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014