Start by marking “The Big Bing: Black Holes of Time Management, Gaseous Executive Bodies, Exploding Careers, and Other Theories on the Origins of the Business Universe” as Want to Read:

2.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  44 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
A corporate mole's-eye view of the society in which we all live and toil, creating one of the most entertaining, thought provoking, and just plain funny bodies of work in contemporary letters.

Stanley Bing knows whereof he speaks. He has lived the last two decades working inside a gigantic multinational corporation, kicking and screaming all the way up the ladder. He has se
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Bing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Bing

Lisa
Feb 13, 2009 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I must not get this book. The copyright is 2003, but he writes about 'squawk boxes,''rolodexes,' and paper memos as if we're in the 80's. You have to get more than half way through the book to hear about a PDA...and Squawk Box now makes me think of the Financial News show, not a phone.

He rants about screaming bosses. I think it is dry, possibly self-deprecating humor about sleazy corporate bosses.

I guess I'm lucky. I have never had a screaming, jerk boss. Even in the 90's I do not remember the c
Thomas
When I picked this out, I did not realize that Stanley Bing was also the author of that airport classic, What Would Machiavelli Do? This one picks up where that one presumably left off. Part memoir, part humour, and part self-help, The Big Bing essentially recommends "strategic thinking", aka "office politics," to employees high and low. Bing supports this suggestion with many examples from his own career, some of which were funny. A lot of what he says is probably true, but the heavy dose of na ...more
John Bell
Jul 12, 2015 John Bell rated it liked it
Shelves: finished-2015
I think I like Stanley Bing in little tiny bits at a time. I suppose it didn't help that I read this right after reading Dilbert. Dilbert was much funnier. Bing doesn't seem to know whether he is trying to be funny or serious. Of course, this particular book is nearly two decades old. Also, I really think Bing should have resisted his desire to write poetry--not interesting or funny, just corny. Still, it was an okay book to read.
Stephen
Apr 05, 2014 Stephen rated it really liked it
I have never before read a "Stanley Bing" book before. I thought I was getting a business book, a book with ideas that could potentially help me. Is this book the far from that. "The big bing" is... business satire. Like a "Dilbert" comic strip is. So if you want some good ideas to help you, you won't find any hear. If you want a sarcastic laugh, then read this book. I would recommend a few pages at a time.
Evelyn
Jul 01, 2010 Evelyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Hey, another book that I was led to through a finance magazine. Bing's earlier writing isn't as funny as his later stuff. Some things are readily applicable to my life, some are not.
SC
Jan 02, 2012 SC marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Brad Hayes
No one does sarcasm like Bing.
valpal
Oct 13, 2010 valpal rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
mildly entertaining and few nuggets of info, seems to be a collection of columns. Probably won't finish it.
Lori Grant
An optional-read book in finding humor in the workplace.
Tharun
Tharun marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Andrei
Andrei rated it it was ok
May 05, 2016
Kenneth
Kenneth rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2016
Tony Gu
Tony Gu marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
John Deltuvia
John Deltuvia marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Michael Muss
Michael Muss rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Biju Kurian
Biju Kurian rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Daniel
Daniel rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2015
Jon
Jon rated it did not like it
Nov 13, 2015
Mike Harry
Mike Harry rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Ann Beckman
Ann Beckman rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Sudha Parimi
Sudha Parimi marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
yu
yu rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2015
Steen Teisen
Steen Teisen marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Smallbakes
Smallbakes rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2015
John
John rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2015
Becky Dawson
Becky Dawson marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Rob Goldman
Rob Goldman rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2015