Start by marking “The Foundation: A Great American Secret; How Private Wealth Is Changing the World” as Want to Read:

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Private foundations have been the dynamo of social change since their invention at the beginning of the last century. Yet just over 10 percent of the public knows they even exist; and for those who are aware of them, as well as even those who seek grants from them, their internal workings remain a complete mystery. Joel Fleishman knows the sector like few others, and in th ...more
Published January 1st 2007 by PublicAffairs

To ask other readers questions about The Foundation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Foundation

Elizabeth
I mark this as 4-stars because I think Fleishman has some really great points - mostly about impact, transparency, and communications. I'd give it 5 stars if the case studies were better.
Kressel Housman
This was one of the books cited in Philanthrocapitalism and it's very similar, but rather than focusing on philanthropy in general, it focused specifically on charitable foundations. In tone, however, it was much more academic than Philanthrocapitalism and didn't feature nearly as many famous people, so it wasn't as easy a read. To tell the truth, I nearly gave up after the introduction, but I'm glad I didn't because the book definitely picked up, especially in the case studies chapter. The reas ...more
Georgia
Jul 25, 2009 Georgia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in philanthropy
Recommended to Georgia by: Grace Chiang
Shelves: 2009-reads
Read this for work. Not the most interesting subject, but informative and helpful for my job. Although the author was a bit repetitive at times, he made a good case for why we have and need foundations. While many are critical of them for their opaque practices and hesitancy to admit failure, they have changed the course of millions of lives from funding the people who made Sesame Street to drastically reducing famine in India.
Kevin
Good overview of foundations and their impact on philanthropy in America. Aside from providing some background the book makes a pretty strong plea for transparency, accountability, and ways to measure the impact of foundation giving. The ethical argument is strong and valuable and concludes with the idea that foundations should police themselves before the government starts to police them.
Jamie
This is an in depth and emotional account that vindicates the importance of foundations, and the need for these institutions to be more accountable to society.
Joe Imberman

Am in the middle of this very thorough study of american foundations. Fleischman knows the field very well.
Amanda
Good book for the subject matter. I'd recommend it if you are interested in philanthropy and foundations.
John
Good book information-wise, but as you might imagine, it's quite dry in parts.
Dan Graham
A good overview of philanthropic giving
Joel
A glowing account of foundations and their activities. Amazing how much foundations have accomplished. A lot of social progress, and in the physical and biological areas too. Very faint warnings of the new Conservative foundations, and nothing about how foundations direct their investment programs.

Santosh
Santosh marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Gabriel
Gabriel marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Alena
Alena marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
- marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Scottrosenblum
Scottrosenblum marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Adam Farley
Adam Farley marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Aaron Foster
Aaron Foster marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Vishal Khatri
Vishal Khatri marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Linh Nguyen
Linh Nguyen marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Jessica Mcilhenny
Jessica Mcilhenny marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Edvinas Stonikas
Edvinas Stonikas marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
  • World on the Edge: How to Prevent Environmental and Economic Collapse
  • How to Run the World: Charting a Course to the Next Renaissance
  • High Financier: The Lives and Time of Siegmund Warburg
  • A World-Class Education
  • One Billion Hungry: Can We Feed the World?
Casebook for the Foundation: A Great American Secret The Future of the Postal Service The Future of American Political Parties: The Challenge of Governance Ethical dilemmas and the education of policymakers (The Teaching of ethics) Public Duties: The Moral Oblication of Government Officials