Start by marking “The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workbook: Practical DBT Exercises for Learning Mindfulness, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Emotion Regulation, And Distress Tolerance” as Want to Read:

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,828 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
First developed for treating borderline personality disorder, dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) has proven effective as treatment for a range of other mental health problems, especially for those characterized by out-of-control emotions. Tens of thousands of individuals around the world are receiving DBT or participating in DBT-based support groups, yet to date there are ...more
Published (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workbook

Songs and Sonnets
Oct 08, 2011 Songs and Sonnets rated it really liked it
I've tried out three DBT self-help books, and this one is by far the best. It's well laid out, easy to understand and very user-friendly. It teaches you mindfulness techniques as well as skills for getting through a crisis, improving mood, and getting your needs met in relationships. I've found these particularly useful for coping with stress.

One of the things I like about this book is it doesn't make any assumptions about the reader, or target a particular mental health problem. DBT was origin
Michelle
Jan 24, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
As a therapist, I'm always on the lookout for self-help books that I can recommend to clients. In the process, I'm often lucky enough to benefit from the material as well. That absolutely happened with this workbook. The authors do a great job laying out the principles of DBT in clear language accessible to any lay person. The pacing of the book makes it practical. Explanations are interspersed with exercises to put new ideas/behaviors into practice. Examples are given throughout to illustrate t ...more
Marisa Bennett
It seems that many people do NOT want to use great books like this to effect change in their lives that ensure a much higher quality of life. This is not the simplest workbook, but doing it, and then asking your therapist to work on sections where you see you struggle is a heck of a lot better than doing nothing! This workbook is excellent! It works if you work!
Linda
Very easy to follow book with helpful skills and exercises based on DBT. I have recently been researching Dialectical Behavior Therapy as a treatment for Borderline Personality Disorder for a friend and really enjoyed learning about mindfulness. I found that the mindfulness skills could be used in my own life and wanted to delve a bit deeper into all of DBT. In reading this book though I realized that while most would consider me sensitive and my emotions even I would admit can sometimes be over ...more
Carlton Brown
Mar 25, 2015 Carlton Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well worth the read for those wishing to develop their emotional intelligence, and learn news skills to help you cope with difficult interactions and relationships. Whether you have low emotional intelligence (EQ), borderline autistic tendencies, or suffer from anger, anxiety-depression, or other difficult emotions; you will find value in this book.

The book is divided into four main sections that initially introduce you to, then further explore skills for; distress tolerance, mindfulness, emoti
Elizabeth
It's hard for me to rate this book, because I'm not part of the target demographic -- ("overwhelming emotion" isn't something I struggle with on a regular basis). DBT has been really helpful to a dear friend of mine, which is why I read the book in the first place.

When I first read it [late January, 2011], I found the stuff on interpersonal effectiveness really helpful and broadly applicable.

In the weeks afterward, though, I found myself invoking its recommendation of "mindfulness" a lot.

In rece
Linda Robinson
I need to practice some interpersonal effectiveness on the friend that recommended I read this book. As Mike Hoolihan says in Martin Amis' Night Train, "I felt a great failure of tolerance in me." Motive unknown, well meant certainly. If I had the time, I'd work on all exercises - there is value truly - but I do have to prioritize with a limited number of years left for me on this planet. There are 1,741 to dos on my list ahead of dialectical modification. I'm sure in my next dimension, distress ...more
Karen Lukens
May 04, 2014 Karen Lukens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book on how to get mindful, communicate better and get out of your head and the victim mentality.
Jesseca
useful skills for therapy
Gr8p
Jan 12, 2015 Gr8p rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of all the self help books I've ever come across this is the most helpful. DBT is mainly used for BPD sufferers, however, there is something here for everyone whether you struggle with depression, anxiety, low self esteem, anger/overwhelming feelings. I wish I'd come across this book much earlier in life, like high school, I think the bulk of my adult life and decision making would have turned out much better/differently.
Vivian Ton
Mar 28, 2016 Vivian Ton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I take a look at this time to time to remind myself to stay soft and practice mindfulness. DBT is universally beneficial - everyone needs to take a look at it sometime (I promise it's not like most self-help books lol)
Xin Zhao
Apr 03, 2015 Xin Zhao rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is way easier to implement than the DBT workbook (and way cheaper). It's actually really easy for clients to enjoy and follow along with this one.
Samantha
Feb 11, 2014 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm surprised at how much I loved this book considering self help books usually make me cringe. I'm really glad this was recommended to me in group because it really helped me while I'm in recovery. I have tons of pages highlighted and bookmarked for future reference.
Christie Gribschaw
Interesting and relevant for people who want to learn more about borderline personality disorder. Great tips and advice on working skill sets.
Noelle
Oct 03, 2015 Noelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DBT are amazing skills for E V E R Y O N E... this book explains how to apply them in a very practical easy manor.
Kat
Jan 04, 2015 Kat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely helpful in learning new, more positive coping strategies for the issues that I personally struggle with.
Jason
Jun 19, 2014 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looks good, but I haven't actually used it much in practice yet.
Elaine
Nothing! It wouldn't let me read anything. What a rip off!!!!!!!!!!!
Misha Kaura
Apr 21, 2016 Misha Kaura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is helpful for a lot of people, whether they have borderline or not. I found it very helpful to work through some of my cognitive distortions about my relationship.
Think
Jan 03, 2015 Think rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This workbook explains the basics of Dialectical Behavioral Therapy. They are Distress Tolerance, Mindfulness, Emotional Regulation and Interpersonal Effectiveness. The most helpful to me is Mindfulness. This is where I remind myself to be in the moment instead of worrying about the past or future. It can be difficult, but it works. This is, of course, a workbook. Most of the exercises in it are very useful. A few were a little out of my comfort zone, but overall this is a very helpful book. I h ...more
Jan 24, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work-related
Amazing. Good for therapy groups. It never fails to deliver very straightforward realness to patients who often have trouble accepting reality. For example, in one of the chapters on Emotion Regulation, we read basically that no one in life likes to be manipulated and eventually people will get sick of being subjected to your manipulative efforts and leave, thus fulfilling your worst fear. There is no B.S. in this workbook and it is RICH with exercises and ideas. I benefit personally every time ...more
Tara Hawkins
Great for anyone who struggles with overwhelming emotions or ineffective communication.
Devlin
Oct 18, 2014 Devlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in a giveaway a while back.

I actually do suffer from really bad anxiety and i found this book to be extremely helpful. It was easy to follow and made you think about and dissect your feelings. I highly recommend it. It was way easier than therapy (at least for me). I learned things about myself, I carried it in my bag at school and when i would start getting nervous or anything i would work on it and it really helped me. I learned soooooooo much about myself
J.d.
Jul 01, 2011 J.d. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to J.d. by: a lady in my support group
This workbook has a lot of useful information but it is a book that you read a little, put down, read other books, come back to this, put it back down. It has useful information and it is written for the client, but it is not very engaging. It's much like reading a textbook for college. It has useful information but it didn't keep my attention. I still haven't been able to read through this book.
Zoe
Nov 11, 2014 Zoe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This workbook is really useful for anyone who wants to practice mindfulness and distress tolerance. My friend Carol trains foster care workers in DBT at her job in upstate NY.

10/9/11 - I haven't read the whole book cover to cover yet, but I know I will refer to it time and again. A truly excellent workbook for changing negative thought patterns.
Tasha
Jul 05, 2013 Tasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a therapist, I appreciate being able to provide my clients with take home materials. In this book, I've found a wealth of information that is client friendly and helpful. The reading material is easily understood and the written exercises are easy to complete while still being thought provoking. I can see myself using this for many years to come.
Eilene
Oct 06, 2009 Eilene is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Really hard stuff. I'm not so great at the things where you have to sit there and imagine and breathe deeply and all that. But I really need to work on this. DBT is the best therapy out there for BPD. Nobody in my area does the real thing (it involves group therapy too) but Melanie is doing her best and having me do this workbook on my own.
Rachel Meyers
Mar 28, 2016 Rachel Meyers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As someone who suffers from anxiety because of childhood and adolescent trauma, I sometimes get 'stuck' in ineffective coping mechanisms. This book helps build skills used to reframe and distract the mind. I found the concepts in the book helpful, but find that yoga can cure the distress much better than anything else (for me).
Jill
Jan 06, 2016 Jill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If it's DBT (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy) and you suffer from anxiety, depression, bipolar, addiction etc Get this books. If you learn your coping skills, and emotion regulation, distress tolerance, mindfulness, and interpersonal relation....

This book and DBT which is a form of cognitive behavioral therapy WILL help you.
Tara Calaby
Oct 19, 2013 Tara Calaby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology, own, bpd
An excellent workbook for learning and applying the key techniques involved in DBT. Useful both in conjunction with professional psych treatment and for going it alone. Well organised, with incremental activities for the user to attempt in order to master the four concepts.
  • Skills Training Manual for Treating Borderline Personality Disorder
  • The Relaxation & Stress Reduction Workbook
  • Borderline Personality Disorder Demystified: An Essential Guide for Understanding and Living with BPD
  • Doing Dialectical Behavior Therapy: A Practical Guide
  • The Borderline Personality Disorder Survival Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Living with BPD
  • The Depression Workbook: A Guide for Living with Depression and Manic Depression
  • A Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Workbook
  • How I Stayed Alive When My Brain Was Trying to Kill Me: One Person's Guide to Suicide Prevention
  • The Complete Adult Psychotherapy Treatment Planner
  • Sometimes I Act Crazy: Living with Borderline Personality Disorder
  • The Buddha and the Borderline: My Recovery from Borderline Personality Disorder through Dialectical Behavior Therapy, Buddhism, and Online Dating
  • Lost in the Mirror: An Inside Look at Borderline Personality Disorder
  • Traumatic Stress: The Effects of Overwhelming Experience on Mind, Body, and Society
  • Cognitive Therapy: Basics and Beyond
  • Don't Let Your Emotions Run Your Life: How Dialectical Behavior Therapy Can Put You in Control
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Sourcebook
  • Building Motivational Interviewing Skills: A Practitioner Workbook
  • The Practice of Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy: Creating Connection
Matthew McKay, PhD, is a professor of psychology at the Wright Institute in Berkeley, and author of more than 30 professional psychology and self-help books which have sold a combined total of more than 3 million copies. He is co-founder of independent self-help publisher, New Harbinger Publications. He was the clinical director of Haight Ashbury Psychological Services in San Francisco for twenty ...more
More about Matthew McKay...

“When a person is in emotional pain, it’s hard to be rational and to think of a good solution. Nevertheless, many of the coping strategies used by people with overwhelming emotions only serve to make their problems worse.” 3 likes
“Criticizing yourself all the time or being overly judgmental of a situation is like wearing dark sunglasses indoors.” 1 likes