Start by marking “Play Like You Mean It: Passion, Laughs, and Leadership in the World's Most Beautiful Game” as Want to Read:

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  167 ratings  ·  16 reviews
No football fan will want to be without the book that delivers pure, unfiltered Rex Ryan—head coach of the New York Jets and one of the most popular, outspoken, well-liked, and widely respected personalities in the National Football League.

Rex Ryan is known for his exuberance . . . and Play Like You Mean It explores every aspect of Ryan’s amazing passion for the game of f
Published May 3rd 2011 by Doubleday (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Play Like You Mean It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Play Like You Mean It

Roy
My five-star review is not based on the literary merit of this book. The writing is basic and the degree of in-depth analysis you'll find between the covers is rather elementary. None of this took away from my enjoyment of Play Like You Mean It. I happen to be a die-hard NY Jets fans so I am the primary audience. But fans of football in general, sports in general, and the motivational process required by a coach in the NFL and beyond will also find this to be a valuable read. If you enjoyed the ...more
Brian Kelley
Because I am a part-time college football assistant coach, there are men out there who I keep an eye on in the profession. If they speak at a coaching clinic in the area, then I go. If they write a book or if something they've presented is available online then I check it out. Rex Ryan is one of those coaches I keep an eye on.

I have to say that my rating of "like it" is heavily influenced because I "liked it" going into it. It seems more of a specialty book, something a New York Jets fan or anot
Mark Lodato
Mark
I've been a Jets fan for all of my life and I can't be more excited about the energy and success Rex Ryan has brought to my team. To support the man I thought I would give his book a read and, while not a gem of literature, is an entertaining read for any fan of the green and white.

Ryan talks about his background and his overall philosophies for the game of football. He's an honest guy and while he doesn't cover everything(his foot video, the Revis holdout, locker room turmoil,etc.) he gives an
Grant
I quite liked this book. I am a Jets fan so it was nice to get some insights of how Rex Ryan is with the team and some of the characteristics of the players. I like background information, there lots of that as well. I liked getting information that I can share a about the game of football the Jets team. I recommend this book highly to Jets fans or football fans. Because there are great insights of the game....
Claire Gilligan
This book was so much fun! Mind, I'm about the center of the target audience: football fan, Jets fan, New Yorker. Part memoir of his history with football (rooted in his dad's coaching years), part discussion of his outlook on life, coaching, etc. This was a fun, easy read. The more I read, the more I liked Rex!
Kaliki
I've always enjoyed Rex Ryan. He cracks me up and his bravado seems tempered somewhat. In this book, he makes it understandable just why he is so completely confident. It gives insight into his upbringing, family life, beliefs about the game of football, himself, and those around him. It's actually quite inspirational. I'm not a Jets fan, but I will certainly watch them, and their coach with great interest this year.
Alan Aldwell
Definitely worth reading if you are a fan of the NFL. Obviously Jets fans would love it just as they did the HBO series Hard knocks which is referenced is the book a good amount and actually gives some background/does justice for a lot that happened in the show. Rex Ryan is the man and now every time I see the Jets I have a much better knowledge of their organization, and Rex's attitude which leads by example.
William Becque
Eh..really repetitive and redundant, plus they censor the word fuck...really?! That's how you know Rex Ryan didn't write it. Just a ghostwriter who saw a marketable opportunity to progress his career by cranking out a 275 page about pretty much three seasons. Brutal
Robert
Not exactly a football text but great insight to the man's passion and how it can be used in anyone's life. Passion and purpose win the day everyday!
Khryste
I really would've preferred to read more about Rex's personal life than detailed accounts of his coaching career and individual games.
Davehbo
Zero stars. Piece of crap. Read one chapter, that was more than enough.
Byron
Best line. There are two types of coaches wife's. Great Ones and X ones.
Frankie
Excellent inside view of an NFL Coach
Phil
270 pages of Rex, gotta love it.
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Stephanie Saporita
Stephanie Saporita marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Fernando
Fernando marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
  • The Genius: How Bill Walsh Reinvented Football and Created an NFL Dynasty
  • Namath: A Biography
  • War As They Knew It: Woody Hayes, Bo Schembechler, and America in a Time of Unrest
  • The Ones Who Hit the Hardest: The Steelers, the Cowboys, the '70s, and the Fight for America's Soul
  • Blood, Sweat & Chalk: How the Geniuses of Football Created America's Favorite Game
  • Swing Your Sword: Leading the Charge in Football and Life
  • Carlisle Vs. Army: Jim Thorpe, Dwight Eisenhower, Pop Warner, and the Forgotten Story of Football's Greatest Battle
  • Winning Every Day: The Game Plan for Success
  • Create Your Own Future: How to Master the 12 Critical Factors of Unlimited Success
  • Johnny U: The Life and Times of John Unitas
  • The Path: Creating Your Mission Statement for Work and for Life
  • License to Pawn: Deals, Steals, and My Life at the Gold & Silver
  • Badasses: The Legend of Snake, Foo, Dr. Death, and John Madden's Oakland Raiders
  • A Little Bit of Everything For Dummies
  • Why My Wife Thinks I'm an Idiot: The Life and Times of a Sportscaster Dad
  • 50 Success Classics: Winning Wisdom for Work & Life from 50 Landmark Books
  • The Aladdin Factor
  • The Psychology of Winning
Coaching Football's 46 Defense (The Art & Science of Coaching Series)