Start by marking “Ghosts and More Ghosts” as Want to Read:
Ghosts and More Ghosts

Ghosts and More Ghosts

10 Stories of Ghosts, Haunts, Spooks, Spells and Witchcraft for Young People

These ten stories, written by an expert in the art of the strange, the spooky, and the suspenseful, will give you hours of pleasantly shivery reading -- mixed with chuckles to relieve the tension.
Published 1972 by Random House (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Ghosts and More Ghosts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghosts and More Ghosts

Melki
Oct 20, 2016 Melki rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I read last October was Alfred Hitchcock's Ghostly Gallery. Since my favorite stories from that wonderful volume were all by Robert Arthur, I wasted no time scouting around for some of his titles. Sad to say that despite Arthur's having written more than 1000 magazine stories, 500 radio scripts, and at least 75 television scripts*, there's not a lot available. Don't get me wrong - he's published tons of stuff, notably the Alfred Hitchcock Three Investigators series . . . bu ...more
Raja99
Dec 17, 2012 Raja99 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the two or three books that had the biggest impact on me as a kid; I read it many times, and probably can't be objective about it.

Interestingly enough, it was also the first book I reviewed on Amazon. Here's that review, which I posted on July 15, 1998:

Great book of spooky tales for children

I discovered this book when I was the perfect age for it, and I still enjoy it today. It's a collection of ten stories about ghosts and the supernatural with a little fantasy and science ficti
Jim
Sep 16, 2012 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jim-s
One of my favorite books growing up. I would read it every October and often inbetween. I finally found a new copy since my original was so worn out. It is still as good today as when I first read it.
Amy (Other Amy)
Wow, I can't believe I found this. I didn't remember anything but the cover, but looking over the stories in this collection, this is THE strange tales collection for my childhood. Every one of these stories has stayed with me.

The stories:
Footsteps Invisible
Mr. Milton's Gift
The Rose Crystal Bell
Don't Be a Goose
Obstinate Uncle Otis
Do You Believe in Ghosts?
The Stamps for El Dorado
The Wonderful Day
Mr. Dexter's Dragon
Hank Garvey's Daytime Ghost

I found it because I was looking for "The Rose Crystal B
Whitney
Oct 16, 2014 Whitney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a somewhat precocious kid who liked to creep herself out, I really took to these stories. Especially "The Rose Crystal Bell." and "Footsteps Invisible," the latter of which would make an excellent radio drama, if there was still such a thing.
bbnan
Sep 25, 2014 bbnan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this book over and over as a kid. Imagine my delight when I was cleaning out a box of random 'crap' my mom had put away when I moved out (sorry, mom, for how long you've been my free storage solution...) and pulled it out again. I'd completely forgotten every story except for vague memories of "Do You Believe In Ghosts?"

Ghosts & More Ghosts is a collection of (from an adult point of view) somewhat tame ghost stories. But while tame, they are also unique enough to make them
IziEzi
Aug 03, 2011 IziEzi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
There are two stories that I remember from this book, and still give me the shivers to this day: "Footsteps Invisible" and "Do You Believe". The others stories are just okay.
Meghan
Probably the first ghosty collection I ever read. It belonged to my Uncle. This is still one of my very favorites, though it looks to be hard to find now.
Scott
Apr 14, 2014 Scott rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: flat-capped
“It was a weird sort of sound he heard, a shuffle-shuffle then a click…” One of a collection of short story’s found in the book Ghosts and more Ghosts by Robert Arthur Jr. Footsteps Invisible narrates the tale of a blind newspaper salesman Jorman who has the uncanny ability of telling his customers by their footsteps and the story of Sir Andrew who is being chased around the world by something that always tracks him down.
This story holds so much of what scares me in a good horror story. The uns
Richard
Jan 01, 2014 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable collection of classic-style ghost stories intended for precocious kids who like to creep themselves out. This was one of my cherished books when I was young, and I still enjoy going back to it now and then.

I agree 100% with IziEzi that "Footsteps Invisible" and "Do You Believe in Ghosts?" are the stand-outs.

Some of the stories feel a little dated, having been written in the early 1940s (so they already felt that way back when I read them). But I suspect even a post-Gen X kid will s
Julie
Jul 13, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A childhood favorite. A collection of truly eerie short stories, so many of which have stayed with me for nearly 40 years.
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2013
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2012
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2014
Paul Street
Paul Street rated it really liked it
May 31, 2014
Leslie
Leslie rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2016
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2015
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2015
Dave Lipscomb
Dave Lipscomb rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2014
Lynn Reynolds
Lynn Reynolds rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Elizabeth Cobb
Elizabeth Cobb rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Len
Len rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2014
Bart
Bart rated it it was ok
Oct 16, 2009
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2013
Mike Murashige
Mike Murashige rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2013
Jac S.
Jac S. rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2008
Kim Thomas
Kim Thomas rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Alejandro
Alejandro rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Steve_long
Steve_long rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2013
Jess
Jess rated it liked it
May 15, 2015
Robert Jay Arthur, Jr. was a mystery writer known for The Mysterious Traveler radio series and his Three Investigators series of novels. He is frequently confused with the film producer Robert Arthur, who was nine days older than mystery writer Robert Arthur, Jr.

Robert Arthur, Jr. wrote a number of mystery books, mostly for children, and he also worked on the anthology television series Alfred Hit
More about Robert Arthur...