Start by marking “Chechen Jihad: Al Qaeda's Training Ground and the Next Wave of Terror” as Want to Read:
Chechen Jihad: Al Qaeda's Training Ground and the Next Wave of Terror

Chechen Jihad: Al Qaeda's Training Ground and the Next Wave of Terror

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  67 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
In this authoritative look at the roots of modern terrorism, Yossef Bodansky, one of the most respected—and best-informed—experts on radical Islamism in the world today, pinpoints the troubled region of Chechnya as a dangerous and little-understood crucible of terror in the struggle between East and West. In his number one New York Times bestseller, Bin Laden: The Man Who ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Chechen Jihad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chechen Jihad

Sean Glover
Jul 14, 2008 Sean Glover rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book got me wondering about the similarities and differnces between the following issues: the 'strict' islamicization of indigenous cultures practicing elements of sufi mysticism... and the No Child Left Behind Act in American public schools. I can think of at least one similarity among myriad differences. "The Islamist leaders' effort to further the proocess of Islamicization within Chechnya- with its emphasis on the Arabization of society at the expense of the local Sufi-based traditions ...more
Mark Sequeira
I don't agree with him at all but the book was a good read. Be careful, for all his claims that opposing views are slanted, his are very slanted in the opposite direction. If this was the ONLY book to read on Chechnya I would surely give it one star but if you have read a few others on the Chechen wars then this won't mess you up too much and may provide a little perspective if read carefully.
Michael Griswold
I appreciate what Yossef Bodansky is trying to do in charting the conflict between Russia and Chechnya from over two hundred years ago, to the drive for independence during the free for all that developed when the Soviet Union collapsed, the first nationalist driven war between Russia and Chechnya in the 1990s, and then the Islamic exploitation of the conflict that occurred from 2000 to present. His main point is ultimately that Al Qaeda will seek to use regional conflicts to train and prepare f ...more
Thomas
Encyclopedic on its moment-to-moment chronology of the events in the Chechen war, but no analysis whatsoever. After reading 600 pages I was hoping to know WHY the Russians didn't pull out of Chechnya. It may seem obvious, and it's the whole reason I was reading the book -- to have some background in it. I got none of that; I just got the details of the war from minute to minute to minute, and how it related to international terrorism and the global jihad.

Interesting stuff, but too much informati
Mehmet Akif  Koc
Feb 13, 2014 Mehmet Akif Koc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad at all, in particular for following the networks and chronologic order of the process insinde/outside Chechnya and Russia. However, some parts regarding foreign networks aren't clear and persuasive...
Jackie
Jun 02, 2008 Jackie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a totally boring book. Good on the step-by-step of fighting in Chechnya and who was involved--essentially every country that has a muslim population and a stake in the Islamic Jihad, and the countries that are fighting the Jihadists. Shows how far-reaching the Jihad is. But it has no analysis and nothing pulling you into the substance of the issue and why this book is relevant right now. No "whys" answered.
Jim Johnson
Oct 04, 2014 Jim Johnson marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
There was nothing especially bad about this book. But I struggled to find a context. I didn't know most of the people mentioned in the book and the author seemed to jump around so much that a plotline was all but incoherent.
Aug 12, 2008 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chechnyans
I learned a great deal about the link between Chechnya and al Qaida - that is to say I learned there was a link. However, the book could have been more than it was. In the end, it was only competently reported.
Steven
Very good book. Info on a little known subject.
Patrick
Mar 28, 2008 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read.
Dejan
Dejan marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Arda Tezcanlar
Arda Tezcanlar marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Anthony
Anthony rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Aseem Juneja
Aseem Juneja rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Todd White
Todd White rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Alix Halloran
Alix Halloran rated it it was ok
Apr 26, 2016
Mellondrama
Mellondrama marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Ahmed Akbar
Ahmed Akbar marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
Marty Small
Marty Small rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2015
Jake Bradley
Jake Bradley rated it it was ok
Oct 30, 2015
Fivewincs
Fivewincs marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Joel Morin
Joel Morin rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2015
Natalie Keating
Natalie Keating rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Michael Connolly
Michael Connolly marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Ryan Carey
Ryan Carey rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2015
Thomas Hegghammer
Thomas Hegghammer rated it did not like it
May 10, 2015