Start by marking “The Witches Lottery” as Want to Read:
The Witches Lottery

The Witches Lottery

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  30 reviews
When Sophia and Drew McKibben's parents are killed in a tragic car accident, they are shipped off to live with an aunt they never even knew existed. Believing that they are moving to a privately owned island just off of the coast of Mystic, CT to live alone with her, they are surprised to find a sort of under-aged bed and breakfast.

Sophia draws the attention of one of the
Published (first published December 26th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Witches Lottery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witches Lottery

Stephanie
I received this book free from the author in exchange for an honest review, I had actually signed up to read book 2 unaware that they were a series so the author being so great she sent me both so naturally I started with this one.
Sophia and Drew are shipped off to live with an aunt they never knew on Enchanted Island and the mystery that follows them and surrounds the Island was what kept me reading, the author had a way of being mysterious yet informative so it had me wondering and pushing on.
Tina
A friend recommended this book to me and I am so glad she did. I truly loved it. I planned to read a few chapters a day, but that was not an option because I just couldn't put it down.

Sophia and Drew lost their parents and have to move to live with an aunt they have never met. Filled with pain, they are flown to their new home on an island in Connecticut. What they soon realize is the home is more of a place "special" kids have gathered. Strange things begin to happen around Sophia, her brother
Jill Thiry
I am under the spell! The aptly titled, Witches Lottery, is an enchanting tale of friendship, betrayal, forgiveness and love. Oh, and of course an intriguing take on Witches and Warlocks.

The only reason I didn't give this a 5/5 - there were more typographical errors than I would have liked.

A great read for a bargain price.
WickedLovely1
Overall I liked this book. I had a hard time getting past the first few pages, but once I did, it was a pretty good book. I would have liked to see more character development, and I think it needs a good editing for spelling/grammar errors and redundant phrases.
Ashley Ubinger
ooo ooo where to begin..... very addicting read :)

Sophie and Drew just lost both parents, thinking they will live with Jack a trusted and loyal friend of the family all is turned upside down when they learn they are being sent to live with Aunt Celeste. Mind you these kids didn't even knew she existed!

Sophie has the weird dreams/visions and doesn't quite know what to think of them, while Drew is well her typical little brother. Neither of them are to happy about the whole situation but decide
Heavensent1
The Witches Lottery is the first book in the brand new Enchanted Island Series. It is a magical tale of one girls journey with destiny. When Sophia and Drew McGibbon's parents are killed in an apparent car accident, their world is thrown into turmoil. According to their parents will, the children are to go live with an aunt they have never met, and on an island they have never heard of. The young people are uprooted from all they have ever known to be whisked away to a world they could have only ...more
Mandy
Krystal Mclaughlin's new book The Witches Lottery provides readers of Young Adult fiction with a strong leading female and a story which revolves around the prophecy of a great female witch rather than the typical male. I enjoyed her take on the differing directions of those touched with supernatural abilties and the concept of a dormant gene. I have long waited for such a book and am thrilled that my children, especially my daughters, will have such books to read when they are older.

Sub-plots s
Brob
I truly enjoyed reading this book. The plot was very well done. There were several subplots happening and I wasn’t able to figure out the different turns the story took before hand. There is a major storyline and several other storylines that are also happening. It keeps the reader interested in the story. While the main story is happening to Sophia there are things going on with Drew and the other characters on the island that leave you wondering.

The relationship between Falen and Sophia is in
Aisha
I picked this book up because of the title, the cover (what can I say, I'm a visual person) , and of course the low price! I was pleasantly surprised by the uniqueness of the book and the characters. I thought it was a great idea and loved how some ideas, like Celeste being a control which was why she couldn't leave the island, were well thought out but others needed some help. The main character, Sophie, is pretty typical of most main characters in that she never listens and never tells everyon ...more
Vix
Many thanks to author Krystal McLaughlin for sending me the ARC of this novel, i appreciate it.
Krystal McLaughlin is a banker by profession but a writer by heart. She enjoys reading, writing, dreaming and promoting young adult fiction...

The Witches Lottery: The Enchanted Island Series, Book 1.

What’s it about?

Siblings, Drew (14) and Sophia (15) are suddenly uprooted from their home and all that they know when their parents tragically die in a car accident. Declared in their parents’ will is the o
Krystal
The first quality the reader will realize about this novel is the strong characters, specifically the strong female characters. The first chapter, when Sophia, the main character, sadly informs the reader of her parents' early demise, will tug at the readers heart strings and really pull him/her into the novel. Sophia and her brother are sent to live with an aunt that they know nothing about; apprehensive, the two are sent to the island and met by the boy who becomes Sophia's love interest. Soph ...more
Pamela Todd
In The Witches Lottery, our protagonist is Sophia. While still coming to terms with the loss of her parents, Sophia and her brother Drew, are shipped off to live with an aunt they never even knew existed…on a remote island with exactly one house.

Sophia knows there is something different about her aunt Celeste who looks so much like herself, and also the people staying with her. A few other teens Sophia’s age live with Celeste who all seem to know more than Sophia.

In the midst of her grief, Sophi
Chasity
I really enjoyed ‘The Witches Lottery’ it was a fun, fast paced read. This book has all the mythical creatures you could ever want warlocks, witches, prophets, leprechauns, selkies, and even dragons. I’m pretty sure I even missed a few. So if you enjoy fantasy or paranormal reads, this book is definitely right up you alley.

I thought it was a very beautiful story with a main character that I could relate to. She loses her parents and really feels lost and confused in this world but she is determ
Majanka
The Witches Lottery starts of with the main character, Sophia, who is having a terrible nightmare about her parent’s accident, and who tells the reader about how people look at her and her brother now their parents are dead. I thought this first chapter was really touching, and it immediately made me feel sympathetic towards Sophia and her brother Drew. Then the two siblings are shipped off to live with their aunt Celeste, who they have never seen before in their life. Like things couldn’t get a ...more
Kari
The Witches Lottery is the debut novel by Krystal McLaughlin. It is the first in a series about an enchanted island where things aren't always what they seem. Sophia and her brother, Drew, are sent there to live with their aunt after the death of their parents. Even before they leave Colorado, weird things start to happen to Sophia. The mystery and action begin on the first page and it doesn't slow down until the end. Sophia is a very likeable character. She is a typical teen who is having to de ...more
Katherine
The Witches Lottery by Krystal George is a YA paranormal story. In the story, Sophia & Drew lose their parents and are sent to live with their Aunt Celeste, whom they've never met. As if this isn't hard enough to deal with, Sophia starts having visions and strange dreams and she thinks that she is going crazy.
The story was well-written and had interesting characters. It was a fun read and the series definitely has potential.
Fans of YA paranormal books will enjoy this book.
Kristine
Curse of the Bibliophile
A profoundly addicting read. “Witches Lottery” will have you biting your nails in anticipation on each turn of the page.

Starting off on a sad note “Witches Lottery” tugs at heartstrings as the main character Sophia and her younger brother Drew are dealing with the tragic loss of their parents. The book quickly picks up speed however when Sophia is thrown into a whole new world where everything she thought she knew turns out to be a lie. Who can she trust in this crazy new world?

The book kept up
Cassie
There is no part of this book that wasn’t enchanting and fun! With well-developed characters of different personalities and a beautiful and magical atmosphere you can’t go wrong. Young readers will fall in love with Sophia who makes you remember how it felt the first time a boy held your hand, or break your heart when she pulls you inside her head to experience the pain of dealing with her parent’s death. For a first novel, McLaughlin did a great job of putting together a cute and interesting st ...more
Shauna Jacks
The story follows Sophie and Drew. Siblings that have lost their parents and with it their place in this world. They move in with their estranged Aunt and soon learn that everything they thought they knew was only a façade... That evil lurks around every corner and love comes in unexpected ways and places. That good triumphs over evil, and that when you have family you can do anything. Krystal can weave a story like few others and I have fallen in love with every character that I have come into ...more
Janna Marie
Wow! The book was much different than I expected, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Unfortunately, the cover and description does not do this book justice. The world Krystal McLaughlin creates in this series is truly MAGICAL.

Sophia, the main character, is strong and very charming. I enjoyed watching her blossom into a beautiful woman throughout the book. We follow her through her personal journey to grow as a woman, as well as, an extremely gifted witch. She has delicious interactions with two male
Jaime
This was a super fun, fast paced read, that kept me turning pages so fats that if it had been a paper book the pages would have been singed.

Sophia is a totally believable character, who is suffering through the loss of her parents, so doesn't really pick on when grief turns into weird symptoms.

Witches, warlocks, leprechauns and the inevitable evil makes this a great read.

And i had my suspicions about the bad guy, but that ending pulled the rug out from under me. I love a good book with a good tw
Shannon
I really enjoyed the story and characters, the overall idea was well thought out and it was hard to put down. That said, I had to give this a lower rating because it was very poorly edited. I had a hard time enjoying the book because I was constantly trying to overlook the mistakes - incorrect word usage, simple spelling errors and typos - it was like I had a draft copy. I still plan to read the sequel because I really did enjoy the concept and am hopeful that the technical detail will be better ...more
Kaila
I really enjoyed this story. I loved the characters and the plot kept me interested. It was a little slow in some places but overall very good. I enjoyed the different magical beings and how they were written. I felt like I was in the story, not just reading it. Very excited to read the next :)
Lisa Gregory
I received this book free from the author in exchange for an honest review, This book is a really great book to read it has so many twist and turns and it catches your attention right from the start. This is a book that you will not want to put down.
Natasha House
The Witches Lottery is about a girl named Sophia and her brother Drew who lose their parents. They go to live on an island with their aunt. On the island she discovers she's so much more than she's ever known. Full of paranormal characters, Witches Lottery will hold any YA book lovers attention.
I really enjoyed the excitement in this book and the surprises that the author always puts in her books.
Regina Wamba
I loved it! The story really consumes you, and you keep flipping to make sure you read what comes next. I can't wait to see what happens with Sophia, and her powers in the next series. Krystal really has a great way to involve her readers, when the character panics, you feel panicked. To me, that's a good book.
Eva
Jan 27, 2011 Eva added it
My review is on my blog,

I rate this book 4.5 stars out of 5.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »