A Band of Misfits: Tales of the 2010 San Francisco Giants

A Band of Misfits: Tales of the 2010 San Francisco Giants

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  314 ratings  ·  60 reviews
With a title drought that started in New York and carried on for more than five decades after the move to the west coast, the San Francisco Giants and their fans were growing restless, waiting for a team like the 2010 roster and that one magical postseason run. The anticipation, memories, and celebrated relief of the season when it finally came together are captured in thi...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Triumph Books (first published January 1st 2011)

Marshall Comstock
If you're a Giants fan you have to read it, if you hate the Giants you will think its the worst book you've ever read, if you just love baseball generally you'll probably really enjoy it, and if you think baseball is something you have to sit through to get to the NBA highlights on Sportscenter you're probably not even reading this review.
Terry Miller
This is a very well written book about the SF Giants 2010 World Series winning season. Very insightful and entertaining. Every Giant fan must read this one. The Torture is over!!!!
Gareth
A Band of Misfits was a phenomenal book. I thought the author (Andrew Baggarly) provided such an in-depth analysis to the San Francisco Giants 2010 World Series run that it made me feel like I was actually a part of the team. Basically, the book talks about the San Francisco Giants’ amazing run to a World Series championship. The author replays the thrilling moments of the playoff games and the weird but interesting personalities of the Giants’ players. He also gives a great perspective of what...more
Mike
"A Band of MiSFits" by Andrew Baggarly tells the story of the long-suffering, upstart 2010 San Francisco Giants as they found themselves the underdogs all the way to winning the World Series.

This is obviously a must-read for any serious Giants fan. But even a casual fan of baseball (or of just Tim Lincecum or Brian Wilson) can enjoy this well-written series of vignettes detailing the improbable apotheosis of a group of "castoffs and misfits." This is the story of how the Rally Thong, Pat the Bat...more
Colleen
Music connection: "Let it Rock" -Kevin Rudolf & Lil Wayne
"I see your dirty face, high behind your collar...And you take your time, and you do your crime...When I arrive I bring the fire, make you come alive, I can take you higher...LET IT ROCK, LET IT ROCK, LET IT ROCK."

I laughed, I cried (no I really cried), and I truly did think I was part of the team. I read this book just as the Giants were slipping away from Arizona and were on a horrible scoring streak. Our pitchers were beat, and our...more
Teresa
Dyed in the wool Giants fan here. 2010 World Series run of my Giants was crazy and emotional and indeed torture inducing, but so so awesome! I've been meaning to read this book for a while now, but grad school was in the way. It was a real treat to read it on the plane home to New York after I spent a great break in the Bay Area, let me tell you.

Andy Baggarly is the Giants beat writer for the San Jose Mercury News, and pretty much the leading media force that covers the team. His twitter feed is...more
Sheila
My love for Tim Lincecum prevents me from saying anything bad about the SF Giants or anything associated with them, including this book…

A Band of Misfits is a love letter to the 2010 SF Giants (and Buster Posey in particular). It reminded me of Moneyball, if Michael Lewis wanted to marry the A’s and have tiny Billy Beane babies…only without Billy Beane or math. (But still with Barry Zito. *dreamy sigh*)

I liked this book very much. It was a fun fast read to help get through these last few days be...more
Dan
An enjoyable romp through a season of "Torture" that ended in bliss, this breezy book profiles the members of the 2010 Giants and chronicles their march to San Francisco's first-ever World Series win. Though not immune from the standard shortcomings of sportswriting (overdramatics, psychologizing, and cute turns of phrase), Baggarly chose the right approach for this improbable tale: profiling members of the band (baseball warts and all) one at a time and demonstrating how they fit together to ma...more
gina
As a die hard Giants fan I loved this book. It was like reliving the whole season over, along with the acid build up in my stomach due to all the torturous games they played. I laughed out loud, shed a tear or two, shook my head in amazement over what the pitching staff did, and the sweet reality of success.
I wish they had a whole chapter dedicated to Matt Cain, who has always flown under the radar, but showed his moxie on the national stage.
It was fun to read, and I wanted the story to conti...more
Ronni Redmond
I read this book right after the 2010 World Series, as soon as it was published, so I was still in the ecstatic phase of fandom. Almost everything Baggs wrote about I was familiar with, but it was a real treatto read about the inner-workings of the clubhouse, the personal stories of the players and the joy and anquish that occurred on a daily basis. The book was well written. That was expected from a long-standing journalist, but it was written so that it was an easy read, and that's the way it...more
D.
This book seamlessly highlights the strength of character, the joy, the struggles, the camaraderie and, ultimately, the triumph that this group of unwanted misfits and "wash ups" went through in the 2010 season.

There are no words to properly express my joy and gratitude to the Giants for finally bringing a World Series championship to the city of San Francisco. Baggarly makes their victory that much sweeter by showing us that it could not have happened to a better group of guys. A true team.

Amanda
I loved reading "Band of Misfits" by Giants beat writer Andrew Baggarly!!! :D I'm a huge fan of the Giants and Tim Lincecum, so I totally enjoyed this book!!! :D It was amazing getting to read this and relive that amazing 2010 season and World Series win!!!!!!!! :D Plus, it went so much more in depth with all of the great guys who play for this team and I have always loved learning their stories. I learned even more with this book!!! :D It's a must have for any Giants fan!!! :D
Cindy
Baggarly beautifully retells the Giants' magical 2010 season with style and humor. He focused on a different player/person in each chapter that had a helping hand in the 2010 season. He weaves in a lot of personal stories about players with the events of the season. I love re reading this book. Brings back memories! I love reading the entire playoff because it actually feels like I'm WATCHING all the games. That shows how good Baggs is!
Not bad. It doesn't work right now for my research, but I'll come back to it again when I get to that stage of writing. Baggarly has some moments of fan reaction, but most of it is player backstory, which I got a lot of during the 2010 season, so the book read fast. He had some great scenes and lines, but the overall narrative line ran a little choppy.

Good stuff if you're a Giants' fan and didn't follow Baggarly on Twitter in 2010.
Jeannie
Excellent recap of the dream season of these band of misfits! Loved every chapter and flowed really nicely. The background stories of all the players were my favorite parts, I've watched these guys for a year now and they feel like people I know and thanks to this book I really have great insight on them now. I highly recommend this book to any Giants fan, any baseball fan and any sports fan in general. Well written, awesomely told.
Jeff
Aug 01, 2011 Jeff added it
A must read for any San Francisco Giants fan. Sure you know how the 2010 baseball season went, but Andrew Baggarly wove all the stories of the players together with the key moments of the season together. From the Freak and the Rally Thong to Fear the Beard and the Machine, you have it all in this book. Plus, there are a few snippets that haven't been revealed anywhere else. Stop reading this review and get this book now!!!
Damon
This is a great book! If you love the San Francisco Giants then this is a must read book. It tells the stories of the player and how they got to be where they are at. It took the last day to make the playoffs and the history goes on from there. The clubhouse is one strong group and that is what makes a great team. Baggarly tells a great story about what went on throughout the year.
Mei
I've been waiting for the SF Giants to win the World Series since I was 12. 2002 nearly ruptured my brain. 2010 did. True, there is a limited audience for this book and if you've followed the team as closely as I did the previous season, it's a bit repetitive. But what great repetition. Somethings never get old. Like saying to yourself, "San Francisco Giants, World Champions."
Amos
What can I say- A recap of the Giants incredible run to the championship written by their beat writer from San Jose. Got goose bumps to many times to remember while reading this book. Fun, fun stuff. What a fraaking season it was... There was MAGIC inside, and this book lets you relive each fantastic moment of it :)

G I G A N T E S B A B Y ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Ashley
I wish this book hadn't read like a 317-page newspaper article, but what could I realistically expect from a sports beat writer? I did enjoy the incredible amount of information and background on all of the players, and reading the play-by-play reports of the post-season games was like a walk down memory lane. A solid read for a Giants fan.
Seth Farber
Not exactly great literature, but for long stretches in the middle I couldn't put it down. I'm a sucker for the subject matter, and Baggarly has spent enough time with the team that he has plenty of entertaining behind-the-scenes stories to share. Those stories alone make this great airplane reading for anyone who has ever been a Giants fan.
Chris Burland
A good recap of the 2010 Giants season that ended with the franchise winning their first World Series in 56 years. The book includes anecdotes from the key players on the team and blow-byblow summary of the key moments in the Giants' 2010 season. A Good read and a must for once long-suffering Giants fans.
Linnea
Great individual stories about the players that made the World Series win happen. Andrew Baggarly shares tales about how each particular player on the 2010 Giants roster ended up where they are today in baseball and in life. A Band of Misfits is filled with valuable information and fun facts.
Jessie
As a diehard Giants fan I absolutely loved this book. I couldn't put it down and finished it in one weekend. Andrew Baggarly has an interesting style of writing that kept me in the book throughout the whole thing. A must read for any Giants fan or even a fan of baseball in general.
Merythapy
Can it be nostalgia when it's only been two years? Well, I was certainly feeling nostalgic while reading it. Baggs does a great job of capturing that incredible, unbelievable season. Of course, as a life-long Giants fan I'm biased, but this book gave me ALL THE FEELINGS all over again.
Amy
Mar 26, 2011 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Michelle Lo
Shelves: books-i-own, ebooks
Baggarly paints a compelling portrait of the 2010 San Francisco Giants, a ragtag bunch who came together to win the whole enchilada. He manages to connect the facts of the Giants with wonderful writing and storytelling, giving more insight into one hell of a Cinderella story.
zumiee
It's still the definitive book about the SF Giants 2010 championship season. The author knows the Giants very well, and delivers an entertaining, poignant, and insightful story of their season, focusing each chapter on different key players. A must-read for Giants fans.
Curt Anderson
It was a good revisiting of the 2010 season but I was hoping for more anecdotes and behind the scenes information. It didn't provide much in the way of developing the personalities of the supposed misfits other than the well-known and overblown ones (red thong, beard, etc.).
Alex
I really, really didn't like Baggarly's writing style - a lot of smug introductory sentences and grimace-inducing metaphors, transitions, and asides - but he had such a good story to tell that it really couldn't be all bad now, could it.
Jules
A fast but fun read, good for someone like me who finds the personalities of the players one of the most interesting parts of the game. A bit less fun to read a season after the World Series, but still full of happy memories and insights.
  • Willie Mays: The Life, the Legend
  • The Hustle: One Team and Ten Lives in Black and White
  • Opening Day: The Story of Jackie Robinson's First Season
  • The Eastern Stars: How Baseball Changed the Dominican Town of San Pedro de Macoris
  • One Last Strike
  • The Pitch That Killed
  • The King of Vodka: The Story of Pyotr Smirnov and the Upheaval of an Empire
  • Eco Barons: The Dreamers, Schemers, and Millionaires Who Are Saving Our Planet
  • Stirring It Up: How to Make Money and Save the World
  • A Young Man's Guide to Late Capitalism
  • Keep the Change: A Clueless Tipper's Quest to Become the Guru of the Gratuity
  • J.R.: My Life as the Most Outspoken, Fearless, and Hard-Hitting Man in Hockey
  • Fifty-Nine in '84
  • Flip Flop Fly Ball: An Infographic Baseball Adventure
  • Cooked: From the Streets to the Stove, from Cocaine to Foie Gras
  • Talking Right: How Conservatives Turned Liberalism into a Tax-Raising, Latte-Drinking, Sushi-Eating, Volvo-Driving, New York Times- Reading, Body-Piercing, Hollywood-Loving, Left-Wing Freak Show
  • The Score Takes Care of Itself: My Philosophy of Leadership
  • Knives at Dawn: America's Quest for Culinary Glory at the Legendary Bocuse d'Or Competition
Band of Misfits: Tales of the 2010 San Francisco Giants

“Neukom, the Giants' buttoned-down owner, finally found Ross and vigorously rubbed his bald head while screaming jibberish nobody could understand” 3 likes
“Former Journey lead singer Steve Perry was a lifelong Giants fan who grew up in the San Joaquin Valley. When the Dodgers started showing him on the big screen during their nightly sing-along, Perry protested by sneaking out of his seats before the eighth inning began. Now the Giants were making their playoff run, and Perry had become a regular sight at AT&T park, thrashing around from a club-level suite as he spurred on the crowd.” 2 likes