Start by marking “The Bones In The Attic (Charlie Peace, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Bones In The Attic (Charlie Peace, #7)

The Bones In The Attic (Charlie Peace #8)

"In this superbly written suspense novel from British author Barnard, ...former soccer star Matt Harper, now a television and radio personality, is the new owner of Elderholm, one of a small street of sturdy old houses in Leeds. As he and his remodeling contractor take a look around the attic, they come upon the skeleton of a toddler-sized child. The deeper Matt and Det. ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published April 9th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Bones In The Attic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bones In The Attic

Julie
Apr 13, 2015 Julie rated it liked it
Barnard's books always have pleasant characters and interesting plots; this one was a little different because his series police detective, Charlie Peace, was not the one doing the detecting. Good for readers looking for a mystery in between a cozy and something slightly darker.
Mike
Dec 31, 2015 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A man purchases a house and, during the exploration of the attic, he discovers the skeleton of a very small child. This sets off a personal investigation into the circumstances of the child's death some 30 years earlier.

This was my second Barnard book read and I enjoyed it immensely. Unlike the previous novel read (which was a recollection of life in the English countryside prior to and during WWII with a murder thrown in), this book followed a much more conventional plot line. Through dogged de
wally
Apr 26, 2015 wally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: barnard
24 apr 15, 1st from barnard for me...has this interesting line on the first page...or lines:
"the man nodded. he was used to all kinds of permutations and variations. in fact, he often reckoned the decline of the stable family had been wonderful for his business."

that and allow millions of illegal aliens to phone home and tell their friends, come on in, the water is fine. i'm a builder, too...like "the man" who nodded...and yeah, i can see that. that...and zoning laws that disallow more than one
Lukasz Pruski
Feb 10, 2015 Lukasz Pruski rated it it was ok
After quite a serious read - Julio Cortazar's stories - I was in the mood for something very light and inconsequential, a literary trifle. Robert Barnard comes to the rescue in such moments. His "The Bones in the Attic" has delivered exactly what I needed - a fast and rather pleasant read that has not taxed my brain or affected my emotions.

Matt Harper, an ex-footballer (it is a British book so 'football' rightly refers to the sport where the ball is touched only by players' feet) and a local ra
Lansing Public Library
The discovery of a child’s skeleton in the attic of an old home recently purchased by TV personality Matt Harper leads him on a search into his past where he finds clues to the murderer.

The reading group rated this book 5.

Everyone liked the book. They all agreed that it was a good story that flowed and that made it a fast read. They were all surprised at the ending. They did think that there were some inconsistencies and that there were too many characters. They couldn’t understand how this grou
Crystal
Nov 02, 2015 Crystal rated it liked it
I have to admit it took me a while to really get into this book, almost half-way through, but something kept me reading on. When I reached mid-way, it really caught my interest, and I kept wanting to know what was going to happen next. At that point, it was an enjoyable read, certainly a good choice for the Halloween season. The characters seemed real, and the story, well, a little hard to believe, but could happen. I would actually rate this book a 3.5 but rating system didn't allow that. I ...more
Gail
Apr 15, 2008 Gail rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, 2008
Barnard can make characters come alive in the most moving way. The main character in this story is a likable, caring man who is confronted with a mysterious happening that is periperally connected with his childhood. While the character development is fine and engaging, the plot sags; I skipped about 100 pages in the middle: just too boring. Barnard is very uneven but worth taking a chance on every now and then.
Travis Alford
Aug 19, 2012 Travis Alford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I love about Barnard's writing is its subtleties. Whereas most american mystery novels hit you over the head with the "in your face" details of the story - often with over-the-top gore, ludicrous plots, and relentless action - Barnard instead creates a believable, nuanced, but no less intriguing tale, with well-developed, multi-layered characters, surprising twists, and impeccable pacing.
Gina
Jan 28, 2012 Gina rated it liked it
Matt is a retired footballer turned radio journalist. He has bought an old stone terrace house in Leeds. As he begins to inspect the house to determine how the house could be renovated, a small skeleton is found hidden in the attic. He is determined to find out what happened to the tiny child and with the help of a local detective he sets out to determine the person responsible for her death.
Teresa
Jul 28, 2009 Teresa rated it did not like it
Dumb dumb dumb! had this figured out half way through the book. The writer is sneaky and sneaks in the F word after a couple of chapters then he goes for a few chapters with out any swearing....then he slips it in again and again. Author is not a good writer....how he won awards is beyond me. Don't waste your time with this book. not suspensful at all.
Cat.
Dec 16, 2012 Cat. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
How much more depressing can one get than the discovery of a dead baby? This one died in 1969, and the police have no missing baby reports to match it up with. Sad to start, sadder yet at the end, but (surprisingly) lots of nice, sympathetic people in the story, aside from the one or two "evil-baddies" and the several morally-lacking. Raises a lot of good but unanswerable questions.
Christine
Sep 19, 2011 Christine rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is the story of Matt, a footballer who buys a house in a neighborhood he visited as a boy and discovers the skeleton of a child in its attic. He reacquaints himself with his old playmates of the summer of 1969 and eventually discovers the chilling truth behind the murder of the young child.
linda
Apr 10, 2009 linda rated it really liked it
A great mystery writer, I have enjoyed many of his books, they're always well written and full of suspense.
Abby Fick
Jul 12, 2012 Abby Fick rated it liked it
Really good murder mystery. Hooked me right away and though it's a short read, it never felt rushed.
Mysteryfan
Feb 27, 2013 Mysteryfan rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Slightly sadder than his usual style. A homebuyer finds a tiny skeleton in the attic and tries to track down its origin. The killer is nastier than usual too. But the unravelling is very well done.
VaughanPL
Click here to find it in the catalogue.
Natalie
I don't usually read these types of books, but actually found myself enjoying this one. The story is intriguing, and a great conclusion to it.
Mel
Jul 27, 2011 Mel added it
It wasn't very good. The ending was kind of a letdown. And though it was tagged as A Suspense Novel, it really wasn't. I never felt thrilled or scared for the characters. Pretty much a let down.
Brent Forkner
May 24, 2016 Brent Forkner rated it liked it
Oh goody! a new (for me) British crime novelist! I'm in love again. And gosh, he's only 80 years old, and been writing these mysteries for 40...so I'm late to the party, but oh well. It's all good.
Alicia
May 07, 2011 Alicia rated it it was ok
Starts out with quite a bang, and some very interesting character development and amateur sleuthing, but this just fizzled for me.
Maurean
Nov 25, 2008 Maurean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maurean by: bookring
I enjoyed this one; I agree with [previous reader]'s description that it is a "well-written mystery with a nice, creepy air of dread hanging over it."
Louise Hassell
Sep 19, 2013 Louise Hassell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like Agatha Christie style mysteries, you'll probably like this. Good characters, interesting plot. It was my first Robert Barnard mystery but it won't be my last.
Kristine
Kristine rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2008
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2011
Emily
Aug 26, 2015 Emily rated it liked it
Not enough Charlie. Too many red herrings. No Oddie. Still, I finished it.
Dawn Marie
Dawn Marie rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2015
Katherine Tomlinson
Katherine Tomlinson rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2011
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Alison MacConnell
Alison MacConnell rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2015
  • And One to Die On (Gregor Demarkian, #13)
  • Antietam (The Civil War Battle Series, #3)
  • Blood and Honey (DI Joe Faraday, #6)
  • Nexus Point
  • Hawk, I'm Your Brother
  • Yonie Wondernose
  • That Way Murder Lies (Mitchell and Markby Village, #15)
  • Death In Disguise (Chief Inspector Barnaby, #3)
  • The Tomb of Zeus (Laetitia Talbot, #1)
  • Cold in Hand (Charles Resnick, #11)
  • Annie and the Old One
  • Astro Boy, Vol. 1 (Astro Boy, #1)
  • A Late Phoenix (Inspector Sloan #4)
Aka Bernard Bastable.

Robert Barnard (born 23 November 1936) is an English crime writer, critic and lecturer.

Born in Essex, Barnard was educated at the Royal Grammar School in Colchester and at Balliol College in Oxford. His first crime novel, A Little Local Murder, was published in 1976. The novel was written while he was a lecturer at University of Tromsø in Norway. He has gone on to write more t
More about Robert Barnard...

Charlie Peace (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Death and the Chaste Apprentice (Charlie Peace, #1)
  • A Fatal Attachment (Charlie Peace, #2)
  • A Hovering Of Vultures (Charlie Peace, #3)
  • The Bad Samaritan (Charlie Peace, #4)
  • No Place Of Safety (Charlie Peace, #5)
  • The Corpse At The Haworth Tandoori (Charlie Peace, #6)
  • Unholy Dying
  • A Fall From Grace (Charlie Peace, #8)
  • The Killings on Jubilee Terrace (Charlie Peace, #9)
  • A Charitable Body (Charlie Peace, #10)