Start by marking “Simple Knitting: A Complete How-to-Knit Workshop with 20 Projects” as Want to Read:
Simple Knitting: A Complete How-to-Knit Workshop with 20 Projects

Simple Knitting: A Complete How-to-Knit Workshop with 20 Projects

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Simple Knitting is a unique workshop-based, how-to-knit book that will teach you the key techniques while creating an enviable collection of knitted items. Each of the 20 projects in the book teaches a new skill, as well as building upon and consolidating those knitting techniques already learned through preceding projects. With a series of workshop-style masterclasses Eri ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published May 11th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Simple Knitting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simple Knitting

Elaine Nelson
I don't remember much about patterns from this book...but as I noted in my reading progress, this was the book that helped me figure out that I'd been knitting wrong for 4-5 months. :\ (I'd been knitting into the back of the stitch, FWIW.) And I learned something about what sort of pictures I can actually learn knitting techniques from. That's worth it, even if that's all I got.
Carol
Simple Knitting: A Complete How-To Knit Workshop with 20 Projects by Ericka Knight covers everything that a beginning knitter needs to know. I would have loved to have had this book when I was just starting. The illustrations of how to do knit and purl make it so almost anyone could figure it out. She covers the differences between different yarns and I agree with her bamboo needles are the best. Bamboo has a comfortable feel to it.

Her stitch gallery highlights each of the basic stitches with n
Megan Blosser
This is a great book for getting started as a knitter! As a newbie, I have a hard time reading patterns and copying stitches from print (thank you, YouTube!) but this book breaks them down in a way I *think* I can follow successfully. I'm planning to work through several of these projects--and it's so nice to have actual simple stitch projects and not just "this is how you do it, have at it yourself"--before I go back out on my own. I mean, one can only make so many ear warmers and scarves!
Jessica
*I received a copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads Giveaways*

When I found out I was getting a copy of this book I was super excited. I had wanted to knit, but learning without anyone to correct me is difficult. This book has been very helpful. The pictures aren't too helpful on their own, but are more helpful when supplemented with videos from YouTube. It was much easier to understand what was happening in the videos when the descriptions and diagrams were there to clarify. I absolute
Estela
Apr 30, 2014 Estela rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Great book for a beginner it takes you through 20 projects and adds a new technique as it goes on, puts them in categories such as basic, stripes, shaping, colorwork, fully fashioned shaping. Found the following sections very helpful; materials and techniques, explained along with pictures the different yarns and choosing them, author used drawings to demonstrate the techniques which I found easy to understand instead of pictures; stitch library author has nice large pictures of each; and recomm ...more
Nicky
Received as a 'first read'. This is a beautiful book that would be very helpful for any beginning knitter. I have another beginners book, but I like this one much better. The pictures are very helpful and I love the swatch examples of different stitches. I'm not totally in love with the projects though. I think there are cuter patterns out there for beginners.
E
I received a complimentary copy of this book through the Goodreads First Read program.

This knitting manual is beautifully arranged with color photos and easy to follow patterns. The guide provides tips and tricks for beginners and advanced techniques. A very nice first knitting project book for the beginning knitter.
Niquole Abram
I love this book it's very well made, the quality of the images and the paper itself are wonderful. It's very good for someone that is learning to knit as its very descriptive and explain things clearly. Definitely one I would buy.
Sandy
This book was given to me as a birthday present with a challenge to start at the front and work my way through the 20 projects to improve my knitting. I took the challenge but have to get a project done before I can start.
Maya Panika
I've read a few how to knit books over the years, none of them have succeeded in teaching me what I needed to know but this looks like it might (finally!) do the trick.

There is a very easy to follow, clearly illustrated list of stitches. The secrets of yarn weight, stitch and style, how to interpret the mysterious knitting pattern and the differences of knitting using wool, linen and silk, is all explained in the easiest-to-understand terms.

Simply explained and beautifully presented with a pared
Barbara
This a great knitting reference book. The photographs and drawings are very clear and help to illustrate the various stitches and techniques. It has one of the best explanations of knitting gauge and how to measure a swatch as well why a gauge swatch is important. The section on choosing yarns and colors is very helpful as you move forward with knitting skills to begin to design your own projects and patterns.
Katharine Holden
Not useful for learning DPNs or circular needles--the instructions are vague and the illustrations poor.
Charissa Wilkinson
I received this book as part of the Goodreads’ First Reads Program for a fair review.

Overview: Ms. Knight is sharing her tips of the trade with us. As well as a few projects that clearly illustrate those tips.

Likes: It’s surprising how many tricks you can learn in twenty patterns. We even get pictures of each stitch style.

Conclusion: Most beginning knitters ought to learn much from this book. Even the more advanced might find a tip that makes the knitting process even more of an enjoyment. Like
Maeleah
Very good explanation of types of yarn, basic knitting stitches, measuring a gauge. Also gives nice photos of sample stitches, for example, different types of rib stitches. It has 20 projects of varying abilities, easy to experienced, however, none that I was particularly interested in. It had a muffler, a pillow, socks, a sweater, among other projects. Project 9- the rag bag was cute, made from strips of shirting fabric or other fabric which gave it more texture than the usual yarn.
Leah
I learned the basics of how to knit a few years ago but only ever completed one project (a scarf of course). This book is perfect for my level to help give me some more ideas without being crazy intricate designs that I have no chance of ever finishing.

The 20 designs are split up by level, I have picked one of the basic designs (a shopper) and hopefully will be able to complete it soon, so far so good.

*I received this book through the Goodreads First Reads program.
Nicole
I received this book from a giveaway and I am very excited to have it. There are 20 projects that I cannot wait to try. There are also many different stitches and other helpful information for knitters. This book is very helpful in explaining the concepts through words and pictures. There are projects for beginners and experts, and it helps you develop your skills. I am so happy to have it.
Catherine Bruno
I received this book through Goodreads First Reads and I was particularly impatient to receive it because I love to knit. I wasn't disappointed, I liked the different projects that were in it and I also liked that she showed how to do the different types of patterns. I will definitely be using this book a lot.
Diane
Simple Knitting is a great book to get started with knitting or pick it back up. Instructions and guides are clear and include a variety of stitches and techniques for the more experienced knitter to try. The projects are creative and unique. I'm looking forward to making a number of them.
Ali
An entry level knitting book, raised above the ordinary by its beautiful pared down styling and Japanese influenced aesthetic.

My favourite element is the stitch library, which illustrates the texture of 24 stitch patterns in a clearly photographed swatch.

Cheryl
This book has some awesome projects and even better directions. Erika has made 4x4 swatches of the most popular knit stitch techniques and photographed them with simple directions. For the visual learner this is a huge help!
Jenni
The swedish edition is called: "Sticka stilrent och rustikt : en stickhandbok med 20 härliga projekt"

Very detailed explanations and I can't wait to start my own small projects :D
Diana
I borrowed this from the library as a knitting review, since I haven't knitted in years. It's a good book, I believe it would be great for a beginner.
Liz Lindsay
I love this book. I initially borrowed it from the library, then ordered it from my local bookshop. Her designs and colour choices are fantastic.
Sade'
Very good, so great ideas. I'm super new to attempting Knitting, and I found this book helpful!
Cathy
fabulous for beginner & experienced knitters, illustrations and photos help the 20 projects move along with ease.
Mariela Truitt
Mariela Truitt marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Megan
Megan added it
Jun 13, 2015
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Min
Min marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
  • More Last-Minute Knitted Gifts
  • Socks a la Carte: Pick and Choose Patterns to Knit Socks Your Way
  • Sensual Knits: Luxurious Yarns, Alluring Designs
  • The Knitter's Book of Socks: The Yarn Lover's Ultimate Guide to Creating Socks That Fit Well, Feel Great, and Last a Lifetime
  • How to Knit: The Definitive Knitting Course Complete with Step-by-Step Techniques, Stitch Library, and Projects for Your Home and Family
  • Knits Men Want
  • Itty-Bitty Toys: How to Knit Animals, Dolls, and Other Playthings for Kids
  • Finishing School: A Master Class for Knitters
  • Modern Top-Down Knitting: Sweaters, Dresses, Skirts & Accessories Inspired by the Techniques of Barbara G. Walker
  • BiblioCraft: The Modern Crafter's Guide to Using Library Resources to Jumpstart Creative Projects
  • 10 Secrets of the LaidBack Knitters: A Guide to Holistic Knitting, Yarn, and Life
  • Sock Knitting Master Class: Innovative Techniques + Patterns from Top Designers
  • Circular Knitting Workshop: Essential Techniques to Master Knitting in the Round
  • Stitch-opedia: The Only Embroidery Reference You'll Ever Need
  • Knit Your Own Dog: Easy-to-Follow Patterns for 25 Pedigree Pooches
  • Hoopla: The Art of Unexpected Embroidery
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting: The Curious Knitters' Guide: Stories, Patterns, Advice, Opinions, Questions, Answers, Jokes, and Pictures
  • Japanese Prints
Keep it simple, chic and contemporary! So says Erika, textile designer and fashion design consultant, whose trademark has been the traditional with a twist. Coming into knitting via fine art training, she is highly regarded in her field and works for many international companies designing ready-to-wear ranges. Author of Comforts of Home (Martingale), her latest book is Simple Knits for Cherished B ...more
More about Erika Knight...
Simple Crochet Simple Knits for Cherished Babies Harmony Guides: Basic Crochet Stitches (The Harmony Guides) Harmony Guides: Lace & Eyelets (The Harmony Guides) Harmony Guide: Knit & Purl: 250 Stitches to Knit (Harmony Guides)