Start by marking “Road Builders” as Want to Read:
Road Builders

Road Builders

Ever wonder how a road is built? Grab your hard hat and find out!
First you ll meet the crew. Then you ll see all the trucks up close cement mixers, bulldozers, dump trucks, graders, pavers and learn what each one does. And finally, you ll watch a bustling new road come to life!
A splendid introduction to a world that many children find riveting. Publishers Weekly"
Published September 1st 1996 by Puffin Books (first published August 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Road Builders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Road Builders

Becky García
Road Builders by B.G. Hennessy and Simms Taback is a picture book for young children that discusses the step-by-step process of building roads. The book explains in terms that are easy for young children to understand the different types of trucks and machinery that are used for this job, the roles of the many people involved, and the steps that they follow.
By reading this book, children will become intrigued by the descriptions of the vast amount of equipment used in road building, and they wi
Tanya W
Jan 25, 2009 Tanya W rated it really liked it
Well, it might be a five star, but I feel I have to save that for truly amazing books. 4 and 5 year old preschool girls loved this book and were pointing out some of the specialized trucks later in the day. Fun artwork, educational about what it takes and how many different people it takes to build a road.
Asha Smith
Jan 26, 2011 Asha Smith rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Though it is a simple read, it is a good introduction book as well. It gives steps to how a road is built. It is great to learn how to write step by step stories. This book also answers curious questions about things we use on a daily basis. It is good to introduce how to write.
Barbara
Dec 22, 2008 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Pre - Gr 2
A 3rd good book to round out a construction storytime. Multicultural and 'multigender' workers build a road and show all the machines and processes needed to build a road... for all those machine freaks.
Gail
Apr 27, 2009 Gail rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This book has nice pictures, which are colorful and detailed. It describes what different kinds of trucks are needed to build a road. My daughter(1.5 yrs) asks me to read this book every day.
Beth
My son loved this one. He's all boy and fascinated by trucks and building. This was perfect for him.
Amanda Leclair
May 14, 2015 Amanda Leclair rated it really liked it
this is a great book for all children who are obsessed with big diggers or large trucks. Great illustrations,simple text.
Lydia Moses
Mar 31, 2013 Lydia Moses rated it it was amazing
Shelves: learning
This is one of my brother's favorite pictures books. It talks about all different kinds of equipment it takes to build a road.
Hero
Hero rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2015
Valerie
Valerie rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2010
Kendra
Kendra rated it did not like it
Aug 09, 2016
Alistair Ninancuro
Alistair Ninancuro rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2013
Emerson
Jan 16, 2012 Emerson rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I like animals and trains more than I like construction equipment, but I really enjoyed this book.
Grey
Grey rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2014
Danielle
Danielle rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2015
Margo
Margo rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2013
Michelle Talavera
Michelle Talavera rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2016
Nathan and Colin
Nathan and Colin rated it it was ok
Jul 17, 2012
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2010
Andrea Flores
Andrea Flores rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2014
Shamara
Shamara rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2012
Shantel
Shantel rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2015
Jessica
Feb 01, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
If you have kids that like construction equipment, this is a great book. My boys love this book.
Rahni
Rahni rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2015
Kristy
Kristy rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2012
Siskiyou-Suzy
Siskiyou-Suzy rated it did not like it
Dec 11, 2016
Melina Simpson
Melina Simpson rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2014
Cws
Jun 08, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: br
BR-Hen
Jessie
Nov 09, 2012 Jessie rated it really liked it
Oh this really takes me back. This is one of the first books that I ever read and I loved it.
A LITTLE ABOUT ME

As a child I loved to draw-but I also loved books, especially picture books. I still remember certain illustrations, covers and bindings from books that were read to me as a young girl.
I’ve lived in many places: I grew up in Wantagh on Long Island, N.Y., graduated from Northfield Mount Hermon School in Massachusetts and attended St. Lawrence University in upstate New York.

At the U
More about B.G. Hennessy...