Start by marking “The Emo Bunny That Should” as Want to Read:
The Emo Bunny That Should

The Emo Bunny That Should (A Story For Demented Children)

Emo the Bunny preferred gloomy days, walks over a cliff and misery of any sort. One day while hiding from sunlight, he saw something unusual. Normally he'd take a nap and try to forget about it, but this time he took an interest only to discover a conspiracy the likes of which no child would ever suspect!

Ducks, bunnies, chickens, squirrels, geese, bears, cows, robins and T
ebook, 1st edition, 8 pages
Published January 24th 2011 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about The Emo Bunny That Should, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Emo Bunny That Should

Karla
Jan 30, 2012 Karla rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: bunny owners-slaves or anyone who likes twisted tales
Recommended to Karla by: Jemidar
Very cute, twisted tale of an emo bunny who is all hurty inside but puts on an apathetic front, just like those goth kids who were so freakin' annoying in high school except this one's cute and fuzzy. Much against his will, Emo Bunny finds himself saving the critters who are enslaved by the Easter Bunny to create his egg production. Silly woodland critters! They are too busy frolicking and having fun to bother with unionizing and "develop the necessary skills to write up contracts and take the ...more
Kristy
So call me weird, I really don't freaking care!!! Haha. This book was HIGHLY entertaining, and I enjoyed it. If that puts me in the crazy category then so be it. :P Emo bunny is great...he doesn't want to be a hero, he just wants to nap. Yet he ends up saving the oppressed slaves of the evil Easter Bunny (who wears contacts so no one will know that his eyes are really black with red irises). Coolness.
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
I sympathised completely with Emo bunny.
'The other bunnies didn't understand his feelings. All he really wanted was for someone to come and hold him, rubbing his cheek until everything was okay[...] Why did everything have to be so wonderful when he was trying to wallow in misery.'

Emo is my kind of bunny. He just wants to be left alone but he becomes curious and not at all excited when he finds the Easter Bunny, a not so nice creature, overseeing his duck minions as they capture bunnies and ot
Jen
Dec 07, 2014 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Cute, quick read. I particularly enjoyed it because we have a cat that is rather emo. He'll go to a corner or wall in the house and just sit and stare at it for hours. This story reminded me of the cat. I picked this up for free a while ago on the Kindle. Not a bad way to spend some free time. I would recommend it if its still gratis. :)
Denae
Does not in any way live up to its title. This is sad. I want to go lie in a dark corner and think about how sad it is. Not really.
Chris
Interesting story about an emo bunnie. Author tells more than shows though.
Aimeekay
Apr 07, 2013 Aimeekay rated it it was amazing
What a truly demented story tale! I fell in love with this book from the first time I read the title. It is quirky and yes twisted.

Emo the bunny is misunderstood and very…well very emo. He accidentally finds himself mixed up with some very bad ducks and an evil Easter Bunny.
This story is sooo funny! Emo is a charming, if unwilling hero. I love how the author has him interacting with the other characters. Plus the other characters are entertaining in their own right.
While the story does portray
Marie
Jun 29, 2012 Marie rated it it was amazing
Dementedly Enjoyable
I laughed out loud when I saw the title and even more when I read the description, so naturally hubby had to ask what I found so amusing. I read him snippets of the description and mentioned that I'd be reading it as soon as I finished the current book I was reading. So first thing this morning I hunted through my recent downloads until I found it.

This was a quick (the short story part) but very enjoyable read. I enjoyed the heavy play on words and ideas that we take for gran
Ellie
I found John H. Carroll's The Emo Bunny That Should: A Story For Demented Children a fast romp of a children's book that undoubtedly should not be read by children. The story, as indicated by the title, is about a bunny who is... well, emo. With good genes for it, apparently: his family lives in an old, unused (thankfully) coffin. Emo doesn't fit in and pretty much likes it that way. When he accidentally discovers that rumors of a sweatshop factory run by the Easter Bunny are true-well, I can't ...more
Teresa Garcia
Feb 21, 2013 Teresa Garcia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
My children and I loved this little story, and for a while it was often requested bedtime reading. Now it lives on my daughter's Nook and she carries it with her.

Emo Bunny is a very pleasing anti-hero. Like the stereotype of the emo, he's mopey pretty often. This is actually the very thing my daughter loves most (and me). She can relate to him, and I like seeing how mopey characters can still do Big Things. Emo isn't overdone either.

Emo Bunny ends up getting himself into a very unexpected advent
Stephanie Miranda
May 07, 2012 Stephanie Miranda rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Parents with demented children
Recommended to Stephanie by: No one
It is a rather interesting short story with a peculiar name and storyline. What first caught my attention is how this story is part of a group of children stories made specially for demented children. It is a wonderful book and even though i am sure i will read it to my children I am not so sure that everybody should freely give this short story and others by the same author to their children unless they are sure of what they are doing.

This story follows a moment in the life of the young 'emo' b
Chris
Jan 05, 2012 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
So I had some time to kill and a couple of John H. Carroll’s short stories on my phone. This wasn’t a bad one but it wasn’t one of my favorites by him. This story is entertaining since it concerns the true evil that is the Easter Bunny. The Easter Bunny is kidnapping innocent bunnies, chickens, and Geese to work as slave labor in his evil sweat shop getting eggs painted and ready for Easter.

Emo, the bunny, is hating life and upset that it is another beautiful day. While hiding from the world e
Cheryl
Sep 28, 2013 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cheryl by: Amazon
A twisted tale that I enjoyed.
Emo the Bunny was a sad bunny. He preferred gloomy days, walks over a cliff and misery of any sort. One day he saw something very unusual. Normally he'd take a nap and try to forget about it, but for some reason he took an interest. Then things happened.

I can't help laughing even now
The thought that he was actually doing something brave shocked him. Emo didn’t like the way it felt at all and he vowed never to do anything like it again.

Certainly not for any chil
Lucy Furr
I found Emo Bunny rather adorable in his emo bunny-ness, which is typically how I feel about Emo People, too. Sometimes I want to just walk up to them and pat them on the head or pinch their cheeks and say "Its OK, you adorable little thing, best to get this out of your system while you are still young. And adorable." *Pat Pat* Yeah, I know, I'm an ass.

Anyhoo, I read this right after reading Unholy Cow, and I found it more enjoyable and was happy to see the writing was much stronger in this one.
Kendra
Jun 16, 2011 Kendra rated it it was amazing
This book is so funny and so easy to read. I had to read it aloud to a couple of friends because I was laughing so hard as i read it. I think it goes for older elementary kids who love humor. Younger children are not recommended to hear this as they mention the easter bunny and he's not the most nice person. I really enjoyed this book though.
Kai
Jul 31, 2012 Kai rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who like bunnies :P
Shelves: short-story
Emo Bunny is cute. I wish I'd read the illustrated version. My only problem with it was I just wish that the story were fleshed out a little bit more. I know it's a short story, and a children's story, but it's a good enough one that filling in the details would still hold the attention of a little one.

Maybe on Emo's next adventure...
Atlantis
Jul 28, 2011 Atlantis rated it liked it
I had to read this one just for the title-it was also a free kindle download. Poor Emo bunny- suffering and unwilling martyr for small woodland creatures suffering under the tyranny of the evil Easter Bunny who has forgotten the true meaning of the holiday. Not a book for young readers or anyone harboring warm fuzzies for the Easter Bunny or Santa Claus for that matter.
Cathy
May 27, 2011 Cathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Free Kindle download. Emo is a sad, sad bunny (read depressed) who doesn't hippity-hop just hops. Curiosity makes him an unwitting savior of his girlfriend, from the demonic Easter Bunny, who enslaves chickens for their eggs and bunnies to decorate them.
WARNING: Truly, only demented BIG children, AKA adults or almost-adults, should read this story. LOL
Matthew
May 30, 2011 Matthew rated it did not like it
This was pretty poorly written. Events started and stopped so fast it was tough to keep up and there was literally zero setting and almost no character development. I'm not even sure it was a particularly interesting set of events, but it's hard to tell for sure because it wasn't easy to tell what exactly was going on. At least it was short.
Ashley
Nov 10, 2011 Ashley rated it did not like it
i came across the emo bunny because it was a free nook book. i don't know if it was because im not a demented child but i though this book was just weird first of emo's family lives in a coffin. bunnies living in a coffin that is just not right. then the Easter bunny being evil was really weird to me.i mean it was a free book but not a book that i would buy at all.
Jeff
Mar 02, 2012 Jeff rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, kindle
Cute short story. I like how Emo ended up with Purple fur. Started out ok with interesting development of Emo but fell apart towards the end with everything feeling rushed to completion. Would have liked a little more development once at the "lair" (using that generically so as not to provide any spoilers).
Gi-Gi
Sep 15, 2011 Gi-Gi rated it did not like it
"What???" is all I can say to this story. I can't even rate it. I downloaded the free ebook cause I thought it would be a funny read since the author claimed it to be a demented children's story but it was anything but that. Honestly it was just odd.
Nikki
Aug 02, 2011 Nikki rated it really liked it
Great, quick read - definitely if you are looking for something fun without any moral story to tell, this is it. I would definitely skip reading it to a younger set, but I think that my 13-YO would love it for that same reason.
Polly Pottridge
Sep 23, 2011 Polly Pottridge rated it liked it
Its a cute take on easter bunny, not cute sweet just different. It would be a good story for a child who feels alone or different from others. This bunny is not like the others and would rather be alone but still ends up in the middle of things and comes out on top.
Marie
Oct 02, 2012 Marie rated it liked it
The Emo Bunny That Should (A Story For Demented Children) by John H. Carroll is cute tale of a bunny who feels like he does not fit in. He goes off on his own and discovers a terrible secret and a pleasant surprise about himself. Great story about courage and self discovery.
Kell
Jan 12, 2012 Kell rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Short story fans with a twisted sense of humour
Recommended to Kell by: Nollaig Ryan
Shelves: read-in-2012
Kindle e-book

A fun little tale of a depressed rabbit that inadvertently saves the day. It's very short and should appeal to those who have a slightly dark or demented sense of humour. Which I do. Obviously.
Kayla Eklund
Apr 19, 2013 Kayla Eklund rated it liked it
Shelves: free-kindle
This was a cute children's story with some adult humor thrown in. I liked it. I'll have to try to find more stories like it. The book states that it's not a book for younger children, but if I had a kid, I would have no problems reading it to them.
Dec 10, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tossed, ebook
Cute short story that has a Wannabe-Goth rabbit saving woodland animals from slavery by the Easter Bunny. Very cute idea.
Diana
Sep 07, 2011 Diana rated it it was ok
I must admit that I found the About the Author section more entertaining than the actual short story.
Chels Patterson
Nov 30, 2011 Chels Patterson rated it really liked it
Perfect for weirdo kids, or boys around 8 or 10 who are too old for the regular stories at beddybyes.
  • Demons and Other Inconveniences
  • Delightfully Twisted Tales: Fire, Fangs and Brimstone (Volume Two)
  • Rescued (The Runners, Part Three)
  • Harvest Moon
  • Curious Folks Ask 2: 188 Real Answers on Our Fellow Creatures, Our Planet, and Beyond
  • Sex Stalker
  • Yesterday's Gone: Episode 2 (Yesterday's Gone, #2)
  • Specimen 313
  • The Gods of Dream
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 305
  • Wandering Stars
  • Silver Moon (Moon Trilogy, #3)
  • Conquest (Off-World, #3)
  • The Crimson-Eyed Dragon
  • Runaway Choices
  • With Love
  • Crow Roads
  • The Harvest
John H. Carroll was the youngest of seven children and was born in Atlanta, Georgia in 1970 where he was kept in a dresser drawer with the clean socks. Luckily, he wasn’t kept with the dirty socks or else he might have grown up to become slightly warped.

As a child, John spent most of his time wandering through the Mojave Desert in an attempt to avoid people. He would stare at the sky, imagining wh
More about John H. Carroll...

A Story For Demented Children (6 books)
  • Zachary Zombie and the Lost Boy
  • Drippy the Peg-Legged Rainbow
  • Unholy Cow
  • Attack Of The Sugar Plum Fairies
  • A Collection of Stories for Demented Children

“This is dedicated to demented children who don’t care about Dick and Jane fetching a pail of water and would rather read about them falling down the hill.” 0 likes
“While other bunnies were dancing, thumping, and hopping all about, Emo preferred to lie in a dark corner and twitch his nose.” 0 likes