Start by marking “The Secret Memoirs of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Secret Memoirs of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis: A Novel

The Secret Memoirs of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis: A Novel

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Who was Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis? She was a wife, mother, artist, editor, and world traveler. A bright young woman who rose to unparalleled celebrity. One of the world's most inspiring and influential women of her day, she has become arguably the most important female icon of all time. Yet she also was a woman of passion and deep emotions, who wanted to experience all th
Published February 7th 2006 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Memoirs of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Memoirs of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis

Girl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy ChevalierThe Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa GregoryI, Claudius by Robert GravesInnocent Traitor by Alison WeirThe Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman
Biographical Fiction
70th out of 361 books — 176 voters
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo IshiguroRuth by Elizabeth GaskellA Widow for One Year by John IrvingTender at the Bone by Ruth ReichlWhole by Ruth Madison
The Book of Ruth
13th out of 36 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Barbara
This fictional memoir of Jackie Kennedy Onassis is well-written engaging, and will definitely continue to hold your interest, although to me it had some cons as well.
I enjoy reading about Jackie Kennedy, and there were many parts of this book that rang fairly true to what I imagine her thinking and feeling. However, it was much too sensual and descriptive in many parts for my taste, and it seemed like any negative theory you have heard relative to things the Kennedy family may or may not have
Laurel-Rain
From the very first pages of this "fictionalized memoir," I was captivated. First of all, I have been a big Kennedy fan for years and watched the beautiful couple inaugurated in early 1961, and then, like a series of photos in an album, I saw portraits of the first family, with the adorable children; Jackie's restoration of the White House, depicted on TV; and, of course, the tragic events in Dallas, with the memorable images of the bloodied pink suit.

Even later, when scandalous allegations came
Joanna
I borrowed this book from a friend, as she took it with her as her reading material on a vacation in Italy. I took it with me to Paris (and to take a physical book rather than just read it on my kindle means I am interested!). It's always enjoyable to read about Jackie O. The author did a great job at combining facts into a story. Although I must admit it was difficult for me sometimes to respect that the thoughts were "put into" the mind of what Jackie was thinking. How could anyone ever know, ...more
Coco
Full disclosure--I love, no wait, I worship Jacqueline Kennedy. So I truly cannot be objective about this book. I adore everything Jackie, from books, photos and quotes to obscure memorabilia. If you don't like Jackie, you probably won't enjoy this novel. I do, so I did. Does the book romanticize Jacke? Yes, most likely, but I turned a blind eye to that, so read the review at your own peril.

The conceit of the book is that Jackie had written her memoirs and then given them to a fellow editor with
Rebecca
This book was excellent. I couldn't put it down. It is written as a work of fiction but all the events of Jackie's life are portrayed through her voice. I didn't know her history and found it fascinating.

She talked about the children but didn't focus on everything in their lives. I liked this because I have read Sweet Caroline and the Day John Died so I knew the kid's history.

It made me sad that both of her marriages were for money and both of her husbands had numerous mistresses. And her mothe
Pooch
This powerfully written fictional biography is a disturbing account of the horrors of Jacqueline Kennedy's life of physical and emotional abuse beginning in childhood and continuing through her marriage to Aristotle Onassis. She ties her survival to powerful, wealthy men due to insecurity and desire for a very high standard of living. The author has successfully created a human portrait while stripping the iconic Jackie to reveal a sensual and frequently panicked woman. The unnecessary explicit ...more
Judi
"In the author's note at the end of The Secret Memoirs of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis: A Novel, Ruth Francisco states up front that this is definitely a work of fiction. Although most events which take place within these pages have a basis in historical fact, they have been "filtered through Ms. Francisco's imagination." She tells her readers she "approached Jackie's fictional persona as an actor approaches a new role...by writing in her character's voice and imagining her thoughts and feelings." ...more
Steph Elias
I really enjoyed this book. My parents were big Kennedy fans so I knew a bit of the actual history. I found this book interesting and well written. The Secret Memoirs of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis: A Novel, is the kind of book that I reach for when I have the time to enjoy a good read, and one of those that is hard to put down. The author did a fantastic job, I would recommend it to anyone that enjoys a good story, especially fans of the Kennedy legacy. I look forward to reading more of Ms. Fran ...more
Annie Hartman
This really opened my eyes to life from Jackie's perspective. Super well written and I think it really captured what may have gone through her head. Not only did it tell about her time as first lady but her childhood, and her marriage to Ari Onassis and her relationships after. She and Jack each had such tortured, tragic souls. I hope they found happiness and peace after they left this earth.
Bonnie G
I was fascinated with the fictional inner dialog of Jackie and surprised at all the outward facts of her life that I didn't know. I ended up feeling pretty sorry for her and wanting to read more. Next I will read a biography by Spoto. Jackie has to be one of the most interesting women of the 20th century.
Martha
I won this book in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. I did enjoy this book and much of it was fun, but there was much heartache as you can imagine and many more examples of Jack's bedroom antics than I ever wanted to know. The author did a great job of writing this story from Jackie's journals.
Judy Schultz
I won this book in the Giveaway and it is very well written. The author seems to know the details of her subject extremely well and also that period of history. I found it very interesting as I was in college during the Kennedy era. I would give it four stars.
Arlene
So, I have a not so secret fascination with Jackie O...but it’s not a voyeuristic obsession. I thought this was an interesting read and possible take on her life. But since it’s a memoir I kept wondering what was real and what was fabricated in this book.
Lori
This was a disappointing book, I thought it was going to be a memoir,but it turned out to be a type of historical fiction to me. I suppose it was my own fault for assuming it was something it didnt turn out to be. Written well.
Anna
I liked this book a lot but felt the author included some unnecessary fictitious assumptions. I would like to know whether certain ideas were founded from other sources or purely the author's imagination.
Liz
I really like this book a lot. For me it was one of those books I didn't want o put down because I wanted to see what was coming next.
Angel
I've always been obsessed with the Kennedy's especially Jackie and this work of fiction was deliciously juicy!!
Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner)
Let's talk about how I'm related to her so I demand to have this book! :) For real though, I am related to her!
Ellen
This novel isn't very flattering to any of the Kennedy clan (or Jacqueline), but it's hard to put down anyway.
Janie Larned
I really enjoyed this book and imagining Jackie's life; however, it was too descriptive.
Anne
Beautifully written fiction! Fun to read!
Julie
Well written
Elle Sy
glad i found it!
Raluca
Raluca marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Taylor Marie
Taylor Marie is currently reading it
Oct 15, 2014
Paula
Paula is currently reading it
Aug 22, 2014
Claire Wallace
Claire Wallace is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2014
  • What Jackie Taught Us: Lessons from the Remarkable Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
  • Mrs. Kennedy: The Missing History of the Kennedy Years
  • Jackie After O: One Remarkable Year When Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Defied Expectations and Rediscovered Her Dreams
  • Henrietta Sees It Through: More News from the Home Front 1942-1945
  • The Best Loved Poems of Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis
  • The Other Mrs. Kennedy: An intimate and revealing look at the hidden life of Ethel Skakel Kennedy
  • Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis: A Life
  • American Son: A Portrait of John F. Kennedy, Jr.
  • Sally Hemings
  • Sweet Caroline: Last Child of Camelot
  • Jacqueline Kennedy, The White House Years: Selections from the John F. Kennedy Library & Museum
  • A Lady, First: My Life in the Kennedy White House and the American Embassies of Paris and Rome
  • The Secret Letters: of Marilyn Monroe and Jacqueline Kennedy
  • Cover Me: A Health Insurance Memoir
  • The Cracker Factory
  • After Camelot: A Personal History of the Kennedy Family--1968 to the Present
  • The Impaler (Sam Markham, #2)
  • Jackie as Editor: The Literary Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
Amsterdam 2012 Confessions of a Deathmaiden Good Morning, Darkness Primal Wound Camp Sunshine