Start by marking “La spada che canta” as Want to Read:
La spada che canta

La spada che canta (Camulod Chronicles #2)

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  5,216 Ratings  ·  130 Reviews
Al tramonto della dominazione romana, Publio Varro e sua moglie Luceia si battono per difendere l’ultimo baluardo di libertà davanti al buio che avanza: l’insediamento che un giorno sarà la mitica reggia di Camelot. Nelle loro battaglie e nelle loro passioni, nel sangue e nel ferro, si va forgiando la Britannia di Artù e di Merlino.
Published 2002 by Piemme (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about La spada che canta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La spada che canta

Markus
The Singing Sword is a book of connections. It is very much a sequel to The Skystone, but it’s also the book truly beginning to turn The Camulod Chronicles into a work of Arthurian legend.

The withdrawal of the Roman legions from Britain is as good as complete. Varrus and Britannicus lead their little Colony into the future, a legendary sword is forged, and through intermarriage with the local Celts, the two Romans are gifted with a grandson each: one named Uther Pendragon, the other Merlyn.

The s
Carrie Slager
Feb 10, 2014 Carrie Slager rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-bought
I’m the sort of person that loves doing jigsaw puzzles, which is part of the reason why I loved The Singing Sword. It’s a lot like a jigsaw puzzle, what with tiny, barley recognizable pieces of the Arthurian legends slowly being dropped into place. We got the outline or the edge pieces in the first book in A Dream of Eagles (formerly known as The Camulod Chronicles), The Skystone, and now we’re starting to fill in the easy parts.

Publius is obviously more mature than he was in the first book and
Tim Mcdougall
Apr 17, 2010 Tim Mcdougall rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Whyte starts with a great concept -- an alternative view of the Arthur mythos, this time with Arthur's ancestors as Roman soldiers. And he does some of the best battle scenes in the business. He does his research, choreographs them well, and generates real tension when he's focusing here.

So ... why he decides to go on for hundreds of pages at a time while his main characters do nothing but extol the virtues of farming, or the beauty of his wife, or the virtues of working hard as a blacksmith is
Mark Halse
Jul 19, 2016 Mark Halse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With this third reading of THE SINGING SWORD I am reminded of all of the reasons that I love this series. Deep and lovable characters, sweeping storyline and twisted drama.

In this installment we follow ol' Publius Varrus as he truly creates the very roots of King Arthur. The idea of mounted knights are created, a round council is formed, Uther and Merlin are fathered and most importantly Excalibur is born!

This book and series are a slow burn. Possible there slowest burning series that I've ever
Don Maker
Jan 05, 2015 Don Maker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rather than the romantic, fantastical versions of Camelot, this is the story of how it all might have really come about. This is book two of at least nine in the Camulod Chronicles, and I have ordered books one and three after reading this. Because the story begins at the tail end of the fourth century, it is very much about the Roman influence on Britain, and how the two cultures merged together as the Roman Empire was disintegrating. It seems Mr. Whyte did his research, as the lifestyles and e ...more
Jessiqa
Mar 02, 2014 Jessiqa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-but-unowned
This is the second book in Whyte's Camulod Chronicles, a saga of the Arthurian Legend. These are historical novels, as opposed to the fantasy books that generally populate the Arthurian genre.

This book follows Publius Varrus, as did the last one. He's a blacksmith, but also the leader of the army at the Colony. They run into a spot of trouble at the Colony, thanks to an old foe, but once that is cleared up, they make some very powerful friends. The threat of Saxon raiders comes closer to home in
Chuck Slack
Dec 29, 2015 Chuck Slack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Singing Sword is the second of a three book series and it kind of reads like it. The first book sets up the storyline and I imagine the third finishes it making the second a gap filler. This book dedicates a lot of pages to not much action but rather "fleshes out" the overall story. It presents the foundations of a new form of government, new methods of warfare, new weaponry, all happening near the end of the Roman Empire. This is what makes this book an interesting read.

Jack Whyte is a ver
Heidi
So the Chronicles of the Roman Preppers continues to be unintentionally hilarious as old war buddies band together to prepare for the coming of the Roman Apocalypse. Still fairly entertaining although not much happens. I would have given it 3 stars if I had not become weary of the women's roles in this story and totally offended by the way he describes gay men. I haven't decided whether to continue my rereading of this series (as prelude to finally finishing the last volumes) or spend my time on ...more
Megan
Not as good as the first. I really like Whyte's writing style, but this book meandered too much without enough purpose, and just didn't further the plot of the series enough. The ending was very fast and abrupt. I liked it (and the first) sufficiently to continue the series, though.
Deborah Pickstone
Reading reviews of other JW books I discovered that propitiate or concupiscent were obscure and over the top words!

"Wishful thinking, eulogising, pondering and theologising - yes, ruminations on spiritual discourse!" Yes, that sounds like Jack Whyte, all right. I may reach the point where I've had enough of it but at present I love it. I find his books compelling and fast paced though I can also see how one could feel that "...if and when you finally build some sort of momentum in the story, yo
Macjest
In this second book of the Camulod chronicles, these first few being a prequel to the time of Arthur, this was a step down for me. In fact I did a fair amount of skimming for various reasons, one being that I can handle only so much of battle sequences. While it's still interesting seeing the lead up to Arthur, I'm beginning to wonder if I'll make it through the whole series. I was also disgusted by the main character early on when he went on and on about his interest in another character. I jus ...more
Debbie
Jan 02, 2014 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
The Singing Sword is the second book in The Camulod Chronicles and it canters along at a much faster pace than the first one.

Publius and Varrus still take centre stage here as they continue to develop their growing community. At the same time the Roman presence in Britain is being scaled back and there are increasing numbers of raids and attacks by Franks, Picts, Saxons and a new threat from the North - the North men.

These outside threats to the community are joined by internal threats as morali
Benjamin Thomas
The second book in the “Camulod Chronicles” picks up shortly after the events of the first book, The Skystone. It continues the tale of Caius Britannicus and Publius Varrus (both great grandfathers of the future King Arthur of Briton) as they continue to build the colony of Camulod during the turn of the 5th century AD, when Rome was pulling out of Briton and leaving the Brits, the Celts, and other assorted peoples to deal with various invading groups such as the Saxons and the Northmen.

I love t
Aislinn Boyter
Apr 07, 2015 Aislinn Boyter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
I took an Arthurian course in my undergrads and we read this book and the following two for class. I loved how the author takes the legend back to its inception. The need for a hero and a king came out of the need for strength after the Roman empire fled England as the hordes of vikings and wild northern men came pouring in to rape, pillage and plunder.

This book starts out with future-king-Arthur's grandpa (as a man in his prime) and family. They were Romans who stayed and tried to create a saf
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 23, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Historical Fiction
This is the second book in the Camulod Chronicles, which began in The Skystone. The book deals with the legend of King Arthur, but unlike other treatments of the material I've read, it's entirely realistic, with none of the fantastical--that, in fact is it's fascination. I haven't read the series by Bernard Cornwall or Stephen Lawhead, so maybe they're in that vein, but even the novels by Mary Stewart that put the stories in the Dark Ages Romano-British context had elements of fantasy--let alone ...more
David
May 10, 2010 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed
Another outstanding look at the history of the Roman Empire in a book that is well plotted. Whytte not only sets up the Arthurian saga/legend he is preparing the reader for, but while doing so does a masterful job at describing the changes taking place as Rome prepares to leave the British Isles. He also delves into theological discussion, developing metalurgy, political expedience, and military arms and tactics. In other words, Whytte educates as he writes and causes the reader to actually thin ...more
Robert Risher
Oct 11, 2011 Robert Risher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Far better than his initial book in this series, which was adventurous and entertaining, Whyte has vastly improved the second time around on his initial strengths, as well as giving the story a weightier feel. The book has incredible action. It has a wonderful sense of historicity, despite his artistic license in character building. It has a good deal of philosophy. It's dark and terrible when Whyte calls for it, yet it also captures the most jubilant of moments in ways that can't help but bring ...more
Aaron Althuizen
Another amazing series by Jack Whyte. If you enjoy being immersed into the story, these tales will certainly provide you with the right tools.

From Wikipedia:
'The novels are a rendition of the Arthurian legend that attempt to propose a possible explanation for the foundation of Camulod (an alternate spelling of Camelot), Arthur's heritage and the political situation surrounding his existence. The setting series begins during the Roman departure from Britain and continues for 150 years ending duri
Mary Overton
Book 2 of a King Arthur retelling for those who like their legends with hearty dollops of sex & violence. Fascinating conjecture on the possible historical roots of Arthurian romances. Fun, quick read. Dreadful literature. Rosemary Sutcliff's YA historical novels are much superior.

From speeches at the wedding Arthur's grandparents - a Celtic Prince and a daughter of an aristocratic Roman family:
"'Today, we make a new beginning, a complete departure from the ways of old, and yet we will do it
Spuddie
Jul 22, 2010 Spuddie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#2 Camulod Chronicles historical Arthurian fantasy. It's 360's A.D. and Publius Varrus, the co-leader of the Colony in the western part of what is now England, faces new challenges as ever-bolder Saxon (and other!) raiders threaten his peaceful home. Together with Caius Britannicus, his brother-in-law, who leads the self-sufficient group with him, he steps up to meet those challenges, which include strengthening their defenses and learning a new way to fight with heavy cavalry. Publius, a blacks ...more
Taksya
Aug 18, 2014 Taksya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Il preludio alla nascita della Camelot leggendaria prosegue, ancora in ambiente romano e con una dettagliata desfrizione del tempo e del clima storico reale di quei tempi.
Ma, in maniera più fastidiosa rispetto al precedente, la penna dell'autore si sofferma (forse una volta di troppo) sulle prodezze amatorie e le fantasie libidinose del nostro protagonista. Si sopporta tutto solo perché, nel frattempo, i riferimenti alla leggenda si fanno sempre più tangibili.
L'Impero Romano è ormai caduto e i v
John Bolton
Apr 01, 2014 John Bolton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is starting to grow on me, Caius Merlyn Britannicus and Uther Pendragon just been born at end of book 2, Publius Varrus has just forged his best sword yet ( I'll let you guess the name....) and the council has decided to meet in future at a round table. You getting the gist now? Slow, but excellent series explaining the 'reality' behind the myths.
Jason Munson
Feb 02, 2014 Jason Munson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave the first five stars and this and the third four. This is a book series worth reading but I stray from calling it great. I want to us that word sparingly because there do exist great books but this one falls short in that respect. This as well as its prequil and follow on edition are worth reading.
Anne
Jul 01, 2016 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with the first book, it's an interesting easy read with ups and downs. By the time it's finish you always want to read the next book in the series to see where the story goes. It also has some interesting "explanation" or description to the Arthurian legend. I will definitely get the next book for my vacation in July.
Mark Austin
May 14, 2016 Mark Austin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
- Most books with this rating I never finish and so don't make this list. This one I probably started speed-reading to get it over with.
- Average. Wasn't terrible, but not a lot to recommend it. Probably skimmed parts of it.
- Decent. A few good ideas, well-written passages, interesting characters, or the like.
- Good. This one had parts that inspired me, impressed me, made me laugh out loud, made me think - it got positive reactions and most of the rest of it was pretty decent too.
- Amazing.
Brian
Oct 01, 2013 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was more along the lines of 4 1/2 stars but it gets the benefit of the 5 star system as well as the first book being that good.

In any case, I am loving this series as it combines some of my favorites, mainly Ancient Rome and King Arthur. In other series that I have read regarding the latter there is always the mention of the effects of the Roman withdrawal from Britain but rarely do they go into more than a superficial background. This series begins with Arthur's grandparents generati
Chris Longmoon
Mar 15, 2016 Chris Longmoon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a slow start...then it just winds up and up and....

Though it is a bit slow at the start, it gets better and better, and the hints at more mythology to be revealed is the greater story unfolds is delicious!
Russell Reyes
Dec 12, 2013 Russell Reyes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, I am a huge Arthurian Legend fan, and this series goes really deep into the history and generations behind the legend. This book helped to bring substance to the creation of a key part of the Arthurian lore. Jack Whyte spends a lot of time in the details, and many of the characters are real people who lived and died during the end times of the Roman empire. The details of daily life become so alive, that the character lives don't seem all that much different from our own when you consider ...more
Karen
Jul 20, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliantly written. He is a master story teller. I got to know the characters so well I cried for them in places and smiled in others. I will read EVERYTHING this man has written!
Pat
Aug 18, 2012 Pat rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not know this was book 2 in the series. I picked it up at a book sale and just started reading. This book is prior to King Arthur's birth and at the end of the book is Merlin's birth and Arthur's father's birth Uther.
Most of the book was about military strategies and culture of the time. The fall of Roman, the establishment of Britton.
I surprised myself by continuing to read this book since I do not like military books. I think the characters kept me going plus I kept waiting till it got
  • Sword at Sunset
  • The Knight of the Sacred Lake (Guenevere, #2)
  • Arthur (The Pendragon Cycle, #3)
  • Grail Prince
  • The Wicked Day (Arthurian Saga, #4)
  • Il tradimento
  • Bard: The Odyssey of the Irish
  • King Arthur
  • Queen of the Summer Stars (Guinevere, #2)
  • In Winter's Shadow
  • The Coming of the King (Books of Merlin, #1)
  • The Forever King (Forever King, #1)
  • Beloved Exile (Firelord, #2)
  • Born of the Sun (Dark Ages of Britain, #2)
Jack Whyte is an author and writer born and raised in Scotland, but has been living in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada since 1967.

Whyte's major work to date is the A Dream of Eagles series (as it is titled in Canada, but known as The Camulod Chronicles in the United States and elsewhere). This series of historical novels presents the tale of King Arthur set against the backdrop of Roman Britain.
More about Jack Whyte...

Camulod Chronicles (9 books)
  • The Skystone (Camulod Chronicles, #1)
  • The Eagles' Brood (Camulod Chronicles, #3)
  • The Saxon Shore (Camulod Chronicles, #4)
  • The Fort at River's Bend (Camulod Chronicles, #5)
  • The Sorcerer: Metamorphosis (Camulod Chronicles, #6)
  • Uther (Camulod Chronicles, #7)
  • The Lance Thrower (Camulod Chronicles, #8)
  • The Eagle (Camulod Chronicles, #9)